Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Sitting on the sidelines: PS5 vs XB Series X

<< < (3/8) > >>

pokepal148:
I'm considering getting an Xbox One X when it goes on clearance so I can say that I own the world's most powerful video games console so I can enjoy the handful of Xbox exclusives that aren't coming to PC like the stuff in Rare Replay and I can get a decent 4K Blu-ray Player out of the deal.

As for actual next gen, I can't say I'm too interested.

ThePerm:
For me it comes down to "what type of games do I like to play" and I prefer Sony's games. With ps4 I really wanted to play the Uncharted series. I have come across some other games. I liked Until Dawn a lot. Though, the developer went multi-platform. Most of the games I like are multi-platform. There is just a slight edge for Sony as far as my tastes go.

Also Sony embracing fast load times is a major 180. PSX load times were so fucking slow. That was the number one reason I preferred n64. I'd go over to my friends house and we'd play his psx games and sometimes we would just sit there waiting.

Ian Sane:
Discussing the prices made me think of something regarding the future of consoles.  The traditional model is to somewhat take a bath on the console and make it up with game sales.  This trickles down to the stores as well as they have a smaller profit margin on the system but they're willing to put up with that so that you return to the store to buy games.  But as digital purchases become more common what incentive is there for the stores?  So Wal-mart is going to sell you a console they make little profit off of and then you buy all your games from the eshop and never set foot in the electronics section of the store again?  And the inevitable future is digital-only consoles, in which case the only items the stores will sell will be the systems and controllers.  In that world why would any store bother to sell those items unless they could get a good mark up for them?  So what's the future for selling the hardware?  Does the MSRP end up with a large profit margin or do the manufacturers just sell the systems from their web site directly?

Adrock:

--- Quote from: Ian Sane on August 14, 2020, 11:48:59 AM ---But as digital purchases become more common what incentive is there for the stores?  So Wal-mart is going to sell you a console they make little profit off of and then you buy all your games from the eshop and never set foot in the electronics section of the store again?  And the inevitable future is digital-only consoles, in which case the only items the stores will sell will be the systems and controllers.  In that world why would any store bother to sell those items unless they could get a good mark up for them?  So what's the future for selling the hardware?  Does the MSRP end up with a large profit margin or do the manufacturers just sell the systems from their web site directly?

--- End quote ---
You can’t download Doritos and Mountain Dew. /kneeslap

In all seriousness, brick and mortar retailers can use the consoles to get people in the door. They’ll still sell peripherals and pre-paid cards (which I doubt they make much, if any, profit). As long as consumers are in the store, they may as well pick up a few things. I’ve definitely gone to Target for toothbrushes, and left with $100 worth of not-toothbrushes. Same principle applies. It’ll definitely be an adjustment, but I think there’s still some value in stores carrying consoles as we march to a digital future.

Kairon:

--- Quote from: Adrock on August 14, 2020, 03:08:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ian Sane on August 14, 2020, 11:48:59 AM ---But as digital purchases become more common what incentive is there for the stores?  So Wal-mart is going to sell you a console they make little profit off of and then you buy all your games from the eshop and never set foot in the electronics section of the store again?  And the inevitable future is digital-only consoles, in which case the only items the stores will sell will be the systems and controllers.  In that world why would any store bother to sell those items unless they could get a good mark up for them?  So what's the future for selling the hardware?  Does the MSRP end up with a large profit margin or do the manufacturers just sell the systems from their web site directly?

--- End quote ---
You can’t download Doritos and Mountain Dew. /kneeslap

In all seriousness, brick and mortar retailers can use the consoles to get people in the door. They’ll still sell peripherals and pre-paid cards (which I doubt they make much, if any, profit). As long as consumers are in the store, they may as well pick up a few things. I’ve definitely gone to Target for toothbrushes, and left with $100 worth of not-toothbrushes. Same principle applies. It’ll definitely be an adjustment, but I think there’s still some value in stores carrying consoles as we march to a digital future.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't think those relationships will disappear, but they will be more and more periphery for the retailers. Obviously this sort of dynamic is disastrous to specialty retailers who focus on gaming and therefore need to get profits from game purchases, but if you think about retailers like Target they can keep going as they are today and just deprioritize and keep shrinking the gaming areas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version