Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Google Stadia

<< < (3/11) > >>

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: ThePerm on March 19, 2019, 08:56:34 PM ---They didn't have the decency to not use the Xbox/Dreamcast button layout.

--- End quote ---

Also has the d-pad in the primary position, which I don't like, but that may just be a me thing.

ShyGuy:
Will this finally offer a decent gaming platform for MacOS?

ThePerm:

--- Quote from: nickmitch on March 20, 2019, 05:49:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: ThePerm on March 19, 2019, 08:56:34 PM ---They didn't have the decency to not use the Xbox/Dreamcast button layout.

--- End quote ---

Also has the d-pad in the primary position, which I don't like, but that may just be a me thing.

--- End quote ---

I never liked the Dpad in the primary position, but on ps4 it feels alright. I feel like they got the ergonomics down for that one. Though there was an intense scene on Uncharted 4 on the final boss fight where it became an issue, but it wasn't an issue until then. It hasn't been an issue on any other game.

Ian Sane:
I don't want this idea to work because it cuts off any customer ownership of videogames.  This would be the ultimate example of a game disappearing for good if taken off a service.  Even with downloads there is something on your device that theoretically could get hacked to work offline if it needs a constant connection.  This is like pre-VHS when any movie or TV show was broadcast only and if the owners lost the work, it was gone for good.  It's kind of ironic that in this case the NEWER works are at risk to be lost.  I suppose in theory this situation could arise for movies and music as well if everything moves to streaming with no downloads or physical copies at all.

But this idea seems like an idea for 20 years from now.  The latency alone is going to cause all sorts of issues.  And that's assuming you have a fast and stable internet connection with no data cap.  That's not feasible for a significant portion of the market.  I just don't feel we have the infrastructure in place yet for this.  I don't remember who said it, I think it might have been Bill Gates, but he said that in the future the internet will be like electricity where it seemingly just exists everywhere without you putting much thought into it.  I feel like this idea is for that time but we're not there yet.  Hell this is like skipping a step.  We don't have download only consoles yet.  To me that's the next step before outright streaming-only consoles.  Google is jumping from CD players to Spotify without the iPod in between.

While I don't like the idea I do think it's the future.  My views on consumer rights and ownership are outdated.  That doesn't mean they're wrong but the younger generation doesn't have the same value for this stuff that I do.  So society is going this way.  So I think for tech companies to be looking into this is a good idea.  Hell some day all of our "computers" might end up as dumb-terminals for online servers.  But it's too soon to seriously launch this as a product.  Turn based games like Civ are probably the only things that are going to play worth a damn.

ThePerm:
I think both hard experiences and soft experiences will exist side by side. Much like how PCs and consoles have existed.

Minecraft is a game that is streamed in a way. I used to frequent this server and we built giant cities of stuff. I was lucky enough to download a mod and copy my city. My friends city wasn't so lucky. It is lost forever.

I think this will be kinda good though for things like minecraft. In one of the demos they were talking about a fully destructible city. A fully buildable city is also intriguing. Previously the graphics for something like this was something simple like minecraft, but imagine a game that looks more like Uncharted 4 getting constructed. Minecraft uses 1 foot by 1 foot voxels, but imagine a game constructed out of really really small parts. We're going to have some really crazy co-creative experiences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version