Gaming Forums > General Gaming

What are you playing?

<< < (366/370) > >>

M.K.Ultra:

--- Quote from: unorules on June 06, 2021, 01:45:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: Khushrenada on April 05, 2021, 10:30:25 AM ---
--- Quote from: JoshuaLoveGames on March 31, 2021, 05:03:55 AM ---What games do you recommend for a beginer who has never played anything?  :-\

--- End quote ---

I recommend playing all the NES games you can then. With the NES, the videogame industry was still in its infancy so a lot of games are quite simple and controllers didn't have the amount of buttons that they do now. Since the games are simple they are quite easy so you should have a great time playing them, Mr. Spambot. A few good choices to start would be Metroid, Zelda II, and Ninja Gaiden. Happy gaming.

--- End quote ---

Great tip! Thank you very much! I am a beginner as well and appreciate the explanation a lot!

--- End quote ---

This is great, let's see how long we can keep this going.

Phil:
Started Resident Evil Village this week, and I'm immensely enjoying it. Poor Ethan, though! Regardless, I'm getting big RE4 vibes from it, and that is most definitely a good thing. And what I mean by that is all of the hidden treasures, the shopkeeper, the fun level designs, all that good stuff I loved about RE4.

broodwars:
Rolled credits on Returnal last night, though I still need to get the "True Ending" that concludes "Act 3" of the game.

I really like it, but it's not for a lot of people, let alone "everyone". It is, however, one of the rare games where I would say that the "It gets good after X hours" argument has merit. So many people & so many reviewers couldn't even get through the 1st 3 Biomes that make up Act 1, let alone beat the game. I got stuck hard on that first Biome for quite a few bad runs, because I just couldn't get past the 1st Boss. Then I had an incredible run & completed all 3 of the Act 1 Biomes in one go with relative ease. Had a similar situation last night with Act 2, though at least I'd gotten to the 5th Biome beforehand.

I feel that if you can't push through the first Act, you haven't really seen how fun Returnal can be, as you haven't seen probably half of the available guns & artifacts and possibly didn't even acquire the grappling hook. I don't think I've seen a shooter this fast-paced, exploration-focused, and eager to punish carelessness since Doom Eternal, another divisive shooter. Once you've established a foothold in Act 2, I feel that the game really opens up in terms of gameplay options and you start being able to explore areas that are underwater; covered in what's essentially lava; or hidden behind invisible platforms, all things the game teases as far back as the 1st Biome.

I'll give Returnal's story this much: for as convoluted as it feels at times for this sort of game (it feels like there are 2 different stories at odds with each other between the Act-ending cutscenes & the "House" cutscenes), I appreciate the fact that so much of it is open to interpretation when so much of modern gaming is incredibly on-the-nose. It's helped the game to stick around in the back of my head when I'm not playing it more than a lot of games these days, in particular something very particular to how the game's soundtrack is woven into the storytelling. The game also has some amazing atmosphere that's drawn comparisons to Metroid Prime for good reason.

Is it "worth" $70? Eh...I dunno, but I'm enjoying it.

Been playing other stuff over the last few months, but not really up to writing about them at length: Persona 5 Strikers, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Judgment, Resident Evil Village, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, FF7 Remake: Intergrade, etc.

pokepal148:
I'm playing through Majora's Mask through the 3D restoration mod on 3DS. I'm also using a mod that replaces the 3DS's shitty, overly reverbed version of the soundtrack with the original n64 soundtrack, with some of the songs being replaced by an excellent remaster of the n64 ost that gives you gems like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDmQY0lcGs&

I've considered opening a games as art thread of some sort and this game is definitely worth considering on that level, especially once you've ironed out the various kinks from it's official releases.

MagicCow64:
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS):

I played through the first four games over a fairly short period of time, and got pretty sick of it, but nonetheless had a baseline affection for this adventure game approach.

Decided to jump back in to the controversial latter two games since I was already fiddling with 3DS stuff again.

Boy can I see the cause of the negativity!

For one, the transition to 3D graphics totally sucks. To an extent, it's kind of impressive that they managed to impute some of the animation style of the pixel games to the polygonal overhaul, but overall it adds nothing to the gameplay and just makes most of it look worse. Wright in particular looks like ****. And overall it just makes everything blander and pokier.

On top of that, the game strips out much of the adventure game DNA by taking away environmental exploration outside of a few very constricted spaces. Most of the investigation portion feels like its on rails as a result, diverging toward a plain visual novel trajectory. Very lame.

The actual trial stuff also feels considerably more spoon fed than in previous games, with the characters bordering on just stating out loud the solutions. Athena's emotional psychology stuff also just blows and feels like Telltale-level fake interaction scheme.

I'm still going for the time being, because this series is still good at stringing you along with the mystery content, but damned if this title isn't toeing into walking sim territory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version