Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509311 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
I actually kind of want to play that game again.

Do it.  On replays you can actually skip all the cutscenes so it's all action no filler.  Trying to speed run it without having to deal with any cutscenes usually takes around 5 hours for me, so it's not that lengthy either.  One of the reasons I've replayed it several times.
That's only shaving 3 hours of gameplay time off.  I figure it be more.
Beat Batman Arkham Asylum.  Didn't I just play Metroid: Other M?

You're comparing a piece of **** like Other M to a masterpiece like Arkham Asylum?  Them's fighting words, Mister.  I think you and me are going to be settling a few things on the next NFR, pardner.  ;)

Speaking of sacred cows, I recently finished Mighty Switch Force 2, and it's just as "meh" as the first game was, which is appropriate since it's more or less the same game with the same progression and the same gameplay tricks.  True, you have a water hose now and there are some interesting new puzzles, but I really felt by the 5th or 6th stage that I had seen all the "new" MSF2 had to offer and it was just going through the motions.
If you really want to you can go ahead and listen to my review its up.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Speaking of Metroids and female bounty hunters named Samus, I beat Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) a few days ago on Wii U VC.

Fantastic game, and I see why Zach Miller enjoys the game so much over other Kirby games. The whole mechanic of teammate/powerup combo effects is truly great. It causes one to want to mix it up to create all sorts of variations of Kirby powers. It's really unique. I also realise I didn't get the full ending, as I didn't collect all of the secrets in each level (I only found four), so I may go back to the game down the road and try seeking those out for the actual final boss fight. Alien Dedede was great, though!

Next up... I'm either going to finish Need for Speed: Most Wanted or Darksiders II. Still trying to push myself to one or the other.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
If you really want to you can go ahead and listen to my review its up.

Oh hell no. Once I have NFR 19 up tonight, I'm done dealing w/ podcast stuff for a few days.  :P:
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »
* Shaymin adds "bag of popcorn" to the list of things to bring to the next taping

As for me, last game I beat was Mega Man X - still a darn good game and restore points actually make the Hadouken a reasonable way to clear the end bosses.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 03:06:16 AM »
Megaman X on Wii U virtual console :cool;
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »
Luigi's Mansion (GameCube)

Charming game that was lots of fun to play through. Not fun enough that I'm going to run out and buy the recent 3DS sequel... but I'll keep it in mind for the future. 

Easy to understand why some people weren't enamored with this game at launch. The pace is very slow, and replay value isn't the same as what you get with a standard Mario platformer. Of course, distinct pace and style are (arguably) some of its greatest strengths at the same time. I'm not sure I've every played something else that feels quite the same.

Recommended.
NNID: ejamer

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »
The pacing was fine. The problem was that the game had the length of an extended tech demo. I got this game on launch in Japan and played it twice. Once when I woke up the next day to play it and finished it on normal before lunch. The next was to 100% on game+ which took even less time than the first run. The lack of replay value is a distant second to the lack of content. If you brought it now for 5 dollars, great, but eatting launch price for that left be a bit sour.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 09:04:28 PM »
I bought it on launch day for full price and found it to be more than worth it. Yes it's short, but it's great and fun while it lasts. Compare it to something like a golf game, which I would hate for even $4.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »
NSMB: U

I'm still on four stars on my save. I did caught Nabbit in all worlds, the game even showed me message that i did. Catching Nabbit was the only time in entire game where i was forced to use inventory (except for cleaning it) for star power-up. It can be a bug or i'm missing some obscure condition again, but...

I don't care anymore. You don't want to give me my 100% completion, game? Fine then. I'm giving it to me myself. There, i finished NSMBU with 100% completion. I beat all levels, i collected all stars including on Star World, and found all exits. That's 100% in my book.

Final notes.

It's a shame that U version ditched Superplay videos that were accessed from the game itself in Peach's castle. It's more or less replaced by MiiVerse and notifications with youtube links to videos, but i wish i could just see where that one star is right from the game without asking anyone or going to internet.

Stars in 3-4 and 5-6 were bullshit. Not as bullshit as that one star (or exit) in NSMBWii that you took by drowning in quicksand for five minutes, but still pretty bullshit.

I loved how many shortcuts and secrets overworld has, it somewhat sweetens the hassle of dealing with it. My favorite alternative route was the castle in the clouds where the entire area of the level and one star is only accessible if entering the castle by this route. And on this part of the level, you go from right to left.

And finally my gripe with basically all 2d Marios i played. Desert Worlds. Usually second world in the game and the most annoying. Combination of how early it is and how hard it gets compared to first world almost made me ditch the Wii game. Similar thing with U and SMB3.

I think placing this world second is the reason why minuscule percent of players actually finish NSMB games.

Also i distinctly remember how i watched quick look for "Last Of Us" on TV, while playing the game on GamePad and i felt weird marveling at the graphics and animation detail on this game and at the same time collecting last Star Coins and catching Nabbit which felt like a chore by the end. It's like: "here are the cool guys are whizzing by and playing THIS, and i'm here in the dust doing my stuff".

Assasin Creed 2

What an ending, man. Very enjoyable mindfuck. The moment where Minerva addresses Desmond/player directly through Ezio's memories was really memorable.

My main problem with the game is that i don't really enjoy actual assasin's stuff. Missions, assassinations and combat were either boring or annoying. When i was repeatedly grabbing and kicking Rodrigo Borgia in the balls until he died (?) was the only downside of otherwise great ending. It was just sad to see such a great final environment and music marred by bad combat system and absent boss game design.

In the end the most enjoyable parts of the game for me were just chilling, roaming the city, looking for glyphs and feathers and codex pages, climbing up the towers and jumping from them (titillating considering i'm afraid of heights). Gorgeous environments, absolute pleasure to look at, Venice canals, carnival, all that italian architecture.

I also LOVED weird glyph puzzles, ambient otherworldly music and effects really did something with my head. Codex puzzle was also became neat when i realized what it is actually showing.

Platforming challenges in Assasin's tombs where great too. There were some killing to be made, but it was still pure Prince of Persia-style platforming.

I played it on PC, and there were quite a few big technical problems.

First, official controller support in the game is ATROCIOUS. You control camera by pressing triggers rotating it horizontally and you can't rotate it vertically at all and even beside that you can't map some actions to buttons. This is retarded and inexcusable. I was forced to use XPadder, took me a few days to set up everything more or less working. And because i had to emulate proper controls using keyboard/mouse i lost analog control over my movement, which was really annoying.

Hopefully Brotherhood (which i left installing before i left for work) will have proper controller support. The fact that there are quite a few Xpadder profiles for ACII on forums available and no profiles for Brotherhood is encouraging. This supposedly means official controls are already competent enough this time.

Second, UPlay ate my saves in the middle. I had to look over the internet for saves that were more or less close to where were i was, because another retarded decision by Ubisoft developers made it impossible to use later save and then just go back.

Third, some of the glyph puzzles seems to be glitching, they aren't showing me anything and don't even exit when i press any buttons. I had to close the window Alt F4. This could be because i messed around with my saves though, but again thank Ubi for that. Ah well, i can always see the reward for collecting all glyphs on youtube...

Fourth, map should show me locations. They probably didn't wanted to clutter the map with text, but come on, how am i supposed to know where Mercato Vecchio is by looking at this? You can look for locations in in-game database and it will tell you what you did and what you missed in each city but all location are only indicated by pictures and are not connected to actual place on the map. Stupid.

Overall, i loved the ending, the music, environments, architecture, just roaming around the city and looking for stuff just feels so nice. Too bad about technical stuff, but messing around to fix them was worth it ultimately. Looking forward to Brotherhood and eventually III on my Wii U.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII:
The game was really good, it was the main reason I purchased a psp. The story, music, graphics, and presentation were excellent. My only gripe was with the battle system, the battles weren't random because you knew when they were going to occur but they weren't like other RPGs where you could avoid them if you wanted either. The mission system was also kind of pointless but it extended the game and gave you better equipment. Anyone who likes RPGs, FFVII or has a psp should definitely check this game out.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »
I guess it wasn't pointless if it gave you better equipment. :P

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 03:52:44 PM »
Only about 10% of the missions gave you better equipment. Some later missions give you basic items that don't help you, so if they'd cut out the filler missions it would've seemed more necessary.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
It's a good thing I never really did the mission then. You like the story? Didja cry?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
Tales of Monkey Island Ch.5: Rise of the Pirate God

So I finally sat down and finished off this series. Not bad, not great, pretty much par for the course when it comes to TellTale games. In the end, my expectations were met and the dialog was funny enough to keep the whole thing moving.

Technical issues close to the end on Wii were absolutely horrendous, with audio repeating/skipping/cutting out and an abundance of graphical glitches too. This wasn't really a surprise though: the TellTale engine is terrible on all platforms, with Wii being especially rough in patches, so this was expected going in.

Might've enjoyed this more if I had played through everything in a shorter time span instead of playing one episode every 8 months or so - especially since each episode was at most a couple hours long. As it stands I can't really recommend the game to anyone unless they are already a Monkey Island fan going in.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »
i'm halfway through Project X Zone and that's about as far as I think I can make it. I've played 20 hours of it and am only on chapter 21 and the chapters seem to only be getting longer and more frustrating. There's no strategy, and the game wants you to grind without actually giving you an opportunity to do so. Every battle goes the same way after somewhere around chapter four or five. You fight a reasonable number of enemies, then double or triple that number spawn in after you've killed a few. It's just so boring. I do not recommend it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2013, 11:55:50 AM »
Resident Evil: Revelations Wii U.

Finally finished this after about 18 hours of single player. Not as good as RE4, but few games are. Like it better than RE5.

The controls and animations are both stiff in places, and the storyline is as convoluted as ever, but that is part of Resident Evil's charm.

I would mind seeing another Resident Evil Revelations style spin off.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2013, 03:14:36 AM »
Finally fninshed l'Abbaye des Morts.

That last boss was kinda annoying, because it's hard and the game has no saves or anything, so if you lose you gotta start all over again. At least the game is pretty short.

Still, the ending was well worth it. Surprisingly polished game all around and gets emotional at times for a freeware title.

Check this out if you want a game to occupy you for an hour.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2013, 02:37:50 AM »
Well, I finally beat Borderlands 2 and it was...long.  Really, really, REALLY long.  And not terribly funny. And I still have 4 pieces of DLC to get through.  And I'm typing in sentence fragments.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:50 AM »
The fans had overhyped the **** out of Borderlands. The Villain has some good lines, but the plot was to flimsy too support the script. Out of the DLC only one of them is actually any good. It really needs to be played with other people, but since it doesn't have server support, the ping is in the 400-500, even when playing with someone across town.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
Dear Esther

This is not really a game. AAA publishers keeping trying to push games into a more streamlined cinematic experience, but I think indie titles like this and Thirty Flight of Loving do a much better job of interactive fiction.

They do this at the cost of game play though. Dear Esther's only form of interaction is walking. The only challenge really is understanding the story. It's told by an internal monologue by the protagonist, that is often cryptic and filled with metaphor. There are also subtle clues scattered around the enviroment, but those are left open to interpretation.

I recommend giving this a shot, but keep in mind its limitations.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
Is the mod and retail release any different? I actually have both but I've never really tried either of them.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2013, 09:02:28 PM »
I got Hotline Miami a while back on a gog sale.
Kind of cool but definitely not for everyone; it's bloody and violent in a way that's a bit unnerving.  The 80's vibe works in a way that doesn't at all feel like a joke and really like the dev was going for something that would hold up well with something like John Carpenter movies (Prince of Darkness, They Live, and especially Assault on Precinct 13).  On the downside, finishing the game has pretty much turned me off from playing it again.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
I've seen comparison shots and the retail Dear Esther is much prettier. I think there is additional dialog as well.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2013, 10:25:47 PM »
Lego City Undercover

I beat the story mode with 32 hours under my belt and 40% completed. There are a ton of things to do in this game. It's pretty easy most of the time, but that is standard for a Lego. Great humor and a fun little world to explore. Definitely worth the price, it's in my top five Wii U games.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
Do the extremely long load times detract from the experience? That's my only worry.