Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present

<< < (3/189) > >>

Peachylala:

--- Quote from: nickmitch on January 06, 2010, 08:37:41 PM ---Must be all the overstuffed egos.

--- End quote ---
Sounds much better.

stevey:
I wouldn't mind at all if all the listed companies completely disappeared.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: stevey on January 06, 2010, 11:15:17 PM ---I wouldn't mind at all if all the listed companies completely disappeared.

--- End quote ---

Given that those companies make up most of the 3rd parties (certainly the major players, anyway), that's a foolish sentiment.  As I stated in another topic, there needs to be healthy competition in the industry to keep it fresh and interesting.  You don't want the entire industry consolidated into a couple companies that never have to evolve their craft because there's no one challenging them.

That's certainly a disheartening list, especially EA's because they cut their jobs in precisely the places where I had hoped to get rehired a few months ago.  It was certainly delayed, but the recession definitely hit the industry hard last year.  Here's hoping it rebounds this year.

Kairon:
Doesn't EA work in cycles though? It seems like they've been firing-and-rehiring every year for the past couple years, but I might not have been paying close attention.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Kairon on January 06, 2010, 11:38:11 PM ---Doesn't EA work in cycles though? It seems like they've been firing-and-rehiring every year for the past couple years, but I might not have been paying close attention.

--- End quote ---

They like to offer temporary contract positions, which usually cover the duration of a given project and offer no benefits.  Then they can either lay you off when they're short on work (which is what happened to me), or they can simply let your contract expire.  That's how it is on the bottom-end, anyway.  I couldn't guess how jobs higher up the chain work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version