Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317978 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #650 on: July 25, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
What do you mean, "is up"?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 26, 2013, 07:08:55 AM »
What do you mean, "is up"?

It was cancelled/suspended within 24 hours of the chromecast launching because of the demand not that it was ever likely anyone in not-america would have seen that same offer.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 26, 2013, 12:56:51 PM »
So the people that first ordered aren't getting their three months free? Fuckers.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 26, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
If you got it when the deal was going you are.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 26, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Okay, very good.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 28, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »
I don't know why it took me so long to put XBMC on my phone. I was really into XBMC on my old Xbox, I used it for just about everything and. Ow it's even better. Still in Alpha, but it's stable and it basically just works like it's supposed to. Easily one of the best programs on any device, especially since it's free.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
So now i'm hearing that the Moto X will be a USA only release "for now". Combine this with the Nexus 4 wireless charger never leaving america (and no reason given for it), the "in the coming weeks" announcement for the Nexus 7 2013 that is really coming in mid-september, and the chromecast getting a similar statement i'm becoming more and more disappointed with google and how they handle hardware.

not-america exists.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 30, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
Your tier two brah,

where Did you here you guys weren't going to get the moto X?

Google just announced zagat being relaunched after two years of doing nothing with the service. The app looks nice but its pretty useless since the revamped service only supports 9 major cities, and its pretty crappy at exploring compared to Yelp and the actual Google Maps exploring.

Just found my first problem with the Google Play web store. When looking at thumbnails for pictures it used to be easy to just go through the thumbnails. Now when you press the arrow it zoom in and you have to view the images one at a time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:34:26 PM by shingi_70 »
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 30, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »
Since I probably won't be able to get a launch PS4 (due to you know life and having to pay my phone bill myself) guess i'm going to get a Nexus 7/chromecast and save the PS4 for next year.

Maybe its because i'm not a big specs guy but looking at android forums I see why I got burned out back pre-ics. People are actually made that the moto X is going to be a mid range phone and affordable. there was similar backlash at the specs of the nexus 4 as well.

edit:

The biggest feature i'm looking forward to is the way it shows notifcations when the screen is off through low power pixels. the nokia N8 had a similar feature and it was awesome.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 02:59:27 PM by shingi_70 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 30, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »
How hard is it to replace a screen in an orginal Droid X?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:29 PM »
It's actually pretty easy. There's just a lot of screws and you need a T4 screwdriver. Do not try to use anything else, it has to be a perfect fit or you're going to strip the screws (that hold the LCD to the frame, not the exterior screws, which use a T6) and never be able to remove it. I believe there are 13 of them plus 8 exterior screws.

Just be careful with the flex cables, maybe take pictures after you remove something and then follow them backwards to put it back together. If you're doing the LCD (those are notorious for developing black circles on them) then you don't need any adhesive, if you're doing the digitizer/glass, make sure you order some 2mm 3M double sided adhesive and clean off all of the broken glass and old adhesive 100%. Do 2 layers of the adhesive before you place the screen on (put the adhesive on the frame) and heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun before you put the glass back on, and keep the inside protective plastic on the screen until right before you place it on. If you don't do 2 layers then the LCD will touch the glass and it will look like there is a wet spot.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »
Check my old thread from my workplace, I did a Droid X towards the end of it...

Here ya go.

Looking back it's a TORX 3 screwdriver you need.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 31, 2013, 03:31:45 AM »
Your tier two brah,

And this is a problem, because there is no "tier two" - Google is a company whose services can be used worldwide. Then you arbitrarily restrict hardware to some users in America for no specific reason. It's one thing staggering hardware launches to certain countries over certain months (which itself is fine), and another to exclude every other country in the world.
Even Nintendo got out of this "shafting europe with hardware months later" strategy after the gamecube.

where Did you here you guys weren't going to get the moto X?

A UK retailer was told (presumably by Motorola UK or their supplier?) they weren't getting it "for now".

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 31, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Tier two was a joke based on the Microsoft stuff. Yeah at this point Google's hardware and services have to be launching worldwide unless its something that can't like Zagat. Google Music and Google Plus were similar US only products when they launched.

Motorola was giving Moto X tickets away on twitter, but the presser won't be live streamed (weird when Google live streams even the smallest stuff like a nexus 7 refresh.)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 01, 2013, 06:52:35 AM »
Tier two was a joke based on the Microsoft stuff. Yeah at this point Google's hardware and services have to be launching worldwide unless its something that can't like Zagat. Google Music and Google Plus were similar US only products when they launched.

Google Music was invite only if i remember, i got in to that within a week after it launched. Same with Plus. But Google Voice and Google's Music All Access thingy are still both US-only - months and years later.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 01, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
I could have sworn the original invite runs for Google music were US only. 

Anywho Moto X is being finally annnounced today. While I don't need a new phone now I think what ever the 2016 version of the moto X is like is my next. Would be awesome to support a stock android phone built in the US. I really hope this phone is popular enough to kill the galaxy strangle hold on the market.

The Motorola connect extension for chrome has been leaked as well as the Motorola migrate app for Android.

Motorola Connect allows you to see text messages and calls coming into your Connect enabled phone on your computer’s Chrome browser. You can read and respond to texts using your keyboard and even know who’s calling before deciding if you should reach for your phone.

^Not sure if its fragmentation or the Moto X having features that will be baked into keylime pie, but this shouldn't exist. At this point Hangout/Voice/Google+ should be doing all of this (google's rumored to be working on this.)

One of the biggest pains of a new phone is losing some of your important stuff. Now you can move your photos, videos, SIM contacts and even your call and text history—from your old Android phone to your new Motorola phone in just a few steps, wirelessly.[/size]Motorola Migrate can only transfer media from devices with Android 2.2 (Froyo) and above[/color]

Migrate is another one that kind of makes sense but seems unnecessary. Isn't the point of the Google Account backup is to handle most of this. Only advantage is getting the contacts tied to the sim since Moto X is using nano sim instead of the micro variant.

Now the big question is what does Motorola do after the Moto X. Making more phones I can see but is it possible for them to make a tablet without pissing off other oems and clashing with the nexus line. I'd have there next project be a chrome book and slowly work toward filling the nices the nexus line wont.

So

Nexus 4
Moto X 5
Nexus 7
Moto X 8
Nexus 10
Moto X 10

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 01, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
"We are firmly committed to building a portfolio of products in Europe that show the best of Motorola as a Google company, but at this time don't have any immediate plans for Moto X to come to the region"

Interest killed stone dead.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 01, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »
Moto X

Designed and assembled in  america. (unsure about other countries)

[size=78%]

Make the phone based on you

Launching on all four US carriers for $199 16GB, and 32GB for $249 (att exclusive face palm).

The maker software is att exclusive for now as well. (sigh)

Its funny how the verge livecast is just bitching about specs and it not being stock.

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/Moto-X/moto-x,en_US,pg.html[/size]

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 01, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
"We are firmly committed to building a portfolio of products in Europe that show the best of Motorola as a Google company, but at this time don't have any immediate plans for Moto X to come to the region"

Get the nexus 4 man. Seems that the nexus 4 is being made for North America and they don't have any production ready for other companies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 01, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »

Get the nexus 4 man. Seems that the nexus 4 is being made for North America and they don't have any production ready for other companies.

I've already got the Nexus 4 (and the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S before it), i was just interested in it to see what it would offer.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 01, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
I'm a big fan of the moto x mostly because specs shouldn't matter (Nexus 4 specs are kind of mid range) and the design of the phone is freaking awesome.

The Marketing is much more hipster friendly compared to that of the droid line, but I'd say its a good thing and stuff like the above pics really speak to me.

Plus I want persistant Google Now on my phone and Tablet. That has to be some sort of software update.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 01, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »
I was hoping it would be cheaper, but it's a damn nice looking phone. It is not a mid-range device though. Not bleeding-edge, but it has a newer processor and GPU than the Nexus 4 or HTC One...and 2GB RAM.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:23:01 PM by Brandogg »

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 01, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »
I was hoping it would be cheaper, but it's a damn nice looking phone. It is not a mid-range device though. Not bleeding-edge, but it has a newer processor and GPU than the Nexus 4 or HTC One...and 2GB RAM.

So you wanted a phone made in China or Twain.

I can't see why people complain about the price or specs when its MADE IN AMERICA. Why do you guys think the nexus Q ended up costing much more money than the chromecast despite doing the same thing.

I'm wondering if the always on Google Now, will be in KLP.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #673 on: August 01, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
It's interesting that Moto X is very close to the new Droid line (even if there are software differences, I'm sure you'll be able to load the X software onto the Droids): http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/01/moto-x-comparison/
Too bad they didn't make a Moto X MAXX.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 01, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »

so surely i should be able to get this device with a  micro-sd card slot based on those claims
... and available in 8 GB and 16 GB storage and has no SD card option...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:05:13 PM by pokepal148 »