Author Topic: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread  (Read 317896 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Everything Android - The Official Android Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 24, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »
Actually, Symbian and BlackBerry ("RIM" doesnt exist anymore as the company changed its name to BlackBerry earlier this year) have tiny shares worldwide. Maybe in some small countries they have higher shares, but globally they are insignificant.

Worldwide, in Q4 2012 Blackberry had just 4% of the marketshare and Symbian a paltry 1%. Year over year from 2011, BlackBerry sales dropped 44% and Symbian dropped 85%. Nokia has already abandoned Symbian and switched to Windows Phone, and BlackBerry is struggling to make the BlackBerry OS a viable 3rd place platform.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2013/02/13/android-solidifies-smartphone-market-share/
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
So market share and sales have nothing to do with each other?

Not exactly. I mean globally Nokia and RIM both have massive marketshares counting everything they do BB7/BB10 and Symbian/Windows Phone. Yet that Marketshare doesn't matter that much since most of it is in emerging markets and places that can't afford the high end money maker devices that makes the headlines.

These markets will make sure that  RIM and Nokia will never fully disappear but they won't be playing on the samsung/Apple level unless the high end Blackberry and Lumia devices start to make major waves.

Also like Insanolord said just because Android has a high market share doesn't automatically mean sales. Right now the only ones making money off of android from a hardware standpoint are Samsung. HTC and Sony are respective #2 and #3 and both are considered struggling in the hardware space. Its mostly because HTC doesn't know how to market and no american carrier wants to play ball with Sony.

Even Google is having trouble despite the nexus line selling decently enough since the Galaxy Nexus.  There have been reports about Google being worried Samsung possibly forking Android in favor of going with their own services.

Here's a Verge link since the actual WSJ article is behind a pay wall.
 [size=78%]http://professional.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323699704578324220017879796.html?mg=reno64-wsj[/size]

The only way Google is going to gain any sembablance of hardware control over at Google (if they care anymore) would be to play ball with carriers something that Google doesn't want to do after the Verizon-Galaxy Nexus debacle. I can see them continuing their T-mobile partnership since tmo is going all in getting rid of contracts as they're main method of payments.

It probably won't happen anytime soon but after seeing the Chromebook Pixl I really want to what an intenrally made android device from google would be like.
The correct answer is that they do have something to do with each other. If your rival sells more than you, your market share gets smaller. What should be pointed out is that this is iOS vs Android - AKA Apple vs a **** ton of other competitors, so 20% of the entire smart phone market is a lot (still less than Samsung though).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
So market share and sales have nothing to do with each other?

It's certainly a factor, but so are profit margins, which are high for Apple and virtually nonexistent for the low-end tier that makes up a big part of the Android market share. Like I said, Samsung's doing pretty well; almost everyone else, not so much.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 31, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
so the SD card is dying in android
the s4, the optimus G pro and the Sony Xperia Z (whos successor in Sonys  messed up Android Alphabet Soup line is rumored to forgo...) are the only Major flagship devices to support it. thoughts?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:52 PM »
Wait, really? So one of the biggest reasons I'd switch over to Android and most phones don't even have the capability?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #355 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »
Um, no biggie. The phones I see usually use micro-SD cards anyways, so what is the issue?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 31, 2013, 09:52:34 PM »
Um, no biggie. The phones I see usually use micro-SD cards anyways, so what is the issue?
i meant micro sd

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »
The only major flagship devices? The S4 is the *only* major flagship device at this point, aside from any Nexus device, which has never had SD support as far as I can remember. As long as manufacturers are making phones with at least 32GB usable storage, I don't think it's that big of a deal. You can always just plug and play with your Android phone (as a camera or as external storage) - but I would always prefer to have the option of microSD. I have a 32GB card in my RAZR HD, but it's basically had the same crap on it since it came with my Thunderbolt two years ago. I have 4G LTE and unlimited data, so if I need access to my music it's always there in the cloud.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »
My girlfriends S2 has microsd support. The S4 doesn't?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 01, 2013, 02:28:40 AM »
The biggest reason I don't care that iOS devices don't have the option for SD or USB storage is I've moved on to doing it wirelessly. Local Wi-Fi, or cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive, have destroyed most of the desire I might have for physical storage.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
My girlfriends S2 has microsd support. The S4 doesn't?
S4 supports microSD. So you can have 128GB total if you get the 64GB version.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 01, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »
The biggest reason I don't care that iOS devices don't have the option for SD or USB storage is I've moved on to doing it wirelessly. Local Wi-Fi, or cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive, have destroyed most of the desire I might have for physical storage.
i trust the cloud about as far as i can throw it.
*hint: you can't throw a cloud*
mainly because of PSN going down for a month, can the cloud do differently, i am not chancing it

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 01, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
PSN != "the cloud" though.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 06, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »
PSN != "the cloud" though.
yes but the cloud can go down just as easily[and it seems far to easy to upload a malicious packet and they wouldn't notice.]  as can the networks

The only major flagship devices? The S4 is the *only* major flagship device at this point,

when i say flagship i mean a manufacturers biggest device atm. the htc one and asus padfone infinity are confirmed to be running without, the rumored Xperia A is apparently going without, the X-Phone will likely not have one...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »
Maybe it's more appropriate in this thread...so I'll repost

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES!

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 07, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Is that your android thingy?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
So what does everyone think of Facebook home? Not that interested myself but i'm in awe on how there is no facebook phone yet every phone has the potential to become one.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #367 on: April 07, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
No point in a Facebook Phone, too risky financially for them and not much potential return on it.

As for Facebook Home, it doesn't really impress me. I will reserve full judgment til it actually releases though.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

It's just some code running on the Android emulator...but technically I'm an android developer now. Next I'll spent the "painstaking time" porting it to Ouya...need to get one first. What's awesome though is that you can use AIDE and use your Android-running hardware to develop...no need for a PC (though AIDE isn't as powerful as Eclipse).

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
No point in a Facebook Phone, too risky financially for them and not much potential return on it.
they can't even make a working app for android and ppl expect a phone,

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »
You guys gunna upgrade to an iPhone 5S in June or what?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:29 AM »
It's not an upgrade, it's not a downgrade, it's just a sidegrade.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 08, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »

It's just some code running on the Android emulator...but technically I'm an android developer now. Next I'll spent the "painstaking time" porting it to Ouya...need to get one first. What's awesome though is that you can use AIDE and use your Android-running hardware to develop...no need for a PC (though AIDE isn't as powerful as Eclipse).
I sure hope Eclipse has improved since the last time I've used it.  Then Visual Studio still blew it out of the water every which way.  Then their is XCode which I'm going to assume is better because it was a little be of a mess in its own way.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »
I'm not too big of a fan of VS2012 (yet) because I've only used it for basic Assembly stuff, which isn't very fun.

But getting $13,299 software for free through school is always nice.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:40:40 AM by Brandogg »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 08, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »
I'm not too big of a fan of VS2012 (yet) because I've only used it for basic Assembly stuff, which isn't very fun.

But getting $13,299 software for free through school is always nice.
Yeah if your doing assembly Notepad or Visual Studio isn't overly different.  Its start to show its power in C++ and Higher level languages.  Especially the .Net languages.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.