Author Topic: IMPRESSIONS: Donkey Kong Country Returns  (Read 1793 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
IMPRESSIONS: Donkey Kong Country Returns
« on: June 17, 2010, 04:44:26 PM »
Rap song hopefully not included.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=23427

Four DKC Returns levels were on display at NintendoÂ’s booth, and after playing them, I am excited but slightly apprehensive of the controls.    

The first level is a Jungle Hijinx introductory area where DK and Diddy can try out their jumps, rolls, ground-rumbling, etc. The basic run-and-jump controls are simple enough, but rolling by shaking the controller is very mushy and unsatisfying, especially since precise rolling is vital to executing DKCÂ’s signature roll-jump mechanic. I adapted, but it was too easy to not shake hard enough and not rolling at all. Ducking and shaking causes the primates to blow forward, which is useful for finding secrets in the environments. The second level was featured several moving planks in a boardwalk-like setting.    

The interaction between DK and Diddy is more interesting than the character interactions in prior DKC games. DiddyÂ’s jet pack acts not unlike a flutter jump, giving players an extra degree of freedom. When Diddy rides DonkeyÂ’s back, DK can make use of this hover technique, and DK can roll indefinitely as Diddy runs on top of him. In single-player, Diddy therefore acts as a power-up, increasing his health meter from 2 to 4. In contrast, when the two buddies team up in co-op, any damage taken applies to both Kongs and falling down a pit of course results in death for both players.    

The game really feels like a Donkey Kong Country game. There are KONG letters and banana coins to collect, as well as puzzle pieces. The Nintendo rep helped me find a simple bonus stage where you shot up out of a barrel moving back and forth from the bottom of the screen to collect bananas. The third level included another DKC hallmark, mine carts, in all their glory. DK and Diddy jump out of the carts, and players must be very precise to avoid baddies and not jump too early or too late when a cart inevitably falls into a pit. Rolling and ground-pounding takes a back seat in favor of raw platforming skills. I barely beat this level by the skin of my teeth.    

The boss, a rhino-like creature gorging himself on DKÂ’s bananas, was very tricky. I had to jump on his back while avoiding his horns. A magic spell was cast on this creature by DKÂ’s new nemesis, which caused the boss to occasionally grow a large spine on his back, as well. All-in-all, this boss felt sloppily implemented, and it was very difficult to land such that you hurt him and not yourself, since the boss turned around and was usually jumping.    

Other than the shake-based rolling, DKC Returns was a (barrel) blast to play. Retro clearly understands what made RareÂ’s classics great.

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: IMPRESSIONS: Donkey Kong Country Returns
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:22:49 PM »
doing anything by shaking the controller is very mushy and unsatisfying, especially since precise control is vital to executing anything in any videogame ever.

Notice that almost every Wii game could fit this description?  This is like how you describe Wii games - "it's an awesome game... except for [description of questionable control decision]."

This sort of thing would be acceptable if Nintendo supported the classic controller.  They could do this for every game that maps a button press to a shake.  Hell the classic controller connects to a remote so if the game had some point where you needed to point at something, you just pick up the remote.  I really get the vibe from Nintendo that they figure that providing an option will just make motion control look bad, because you shouldn't NEED the option, right?  If there's an option then people might not pick the motion control one and then we look bad because that's the only thing that makes the Wii stand out.

The problem is this makes motion control look bad anyway.  Smart people can tell that the controls are less precise.  The thing is if all you're doing is making a regular game except instead of 'A' people shake the controller then you're not doing anything clever or innovative with the remote.  Either admit that and support all control options like SSB Brawl does or go back to the drawing board and come up with something that actually can't be done any other way.  THAT is what sells people on a concept not forcing a half-baked implementation on someone.  No one bought a Wii so they could play Gamecube games with button presses mapped to waggle.  People buy videogame consoles to play great games and if you're entirely focused on making great games then you're going to use the control scheme that fits the game BEST.  Once you decide that you must use the remote as the only option no matter what you're losing focus on making a great game.  Same with refusing to use the nunchuk in Metroid.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »
"DK and Diddy jump out of the carts, and players must be very precise to avoid baddies and not jump too early or too late when a cart inevitably falls into a pit"

This is interesting, since the trailer showed the cart itself hopping; the original had both cart-hopping and jumping out in separate levels, I wonder why they don't pick one or the other?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:28:34 PM »
DKC Returns was a (barrel) blast to play
- Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

Slap this quote on the box and we have a winner.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:38:01 PM »
"DK and Diddy jump out of the carts, and players must be very precise to avoid baddies and not jump too early or too late when a cart inevitably falls into a pit"

This is interesting, since the trailer showed the cart itself hopping; the original had both cart-hopping and jumping out in separate levels, I wonder why they don't pick one or the other?
I don't remember seeing cart hopping in the trailer.  I only remember seeing Donkey jumping out of the cart.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 02:22:38 AM »
I loved shaking to pound and shoot the ground, and I loved shaking to cart wheel and roll. It felt no different from any button press for me. It was as simples and precise as Mario's spin in Galaxy, except when he throws fire balls.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 12:00:18 PM »
It was as simples and precise as Mario's spin in Galaxy

... and that's my problem with it.  It requires more effort to do than a button push and is less precise and more prone to going off when you don't want it to.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:48:21 PM »
It was as simples and precise as Mario's spin in Galaxy

... and that's my problem with it.  It requires more effort to do than a button push and is less precise and more prone to going off when you don't want it to.

With Mario you had to point at the screen at the same time to collect things, so if it did happen on accident it was probably because of that. There is no pointing in DK so far. If you get up to adjust your legs or arms and it accidently spins, you should have just pressed pause.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn