Author Topic: 3DS to Allow the Dumping of Games to Internal Memory  (Read 6543 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS to Allow the Dumping of Games to Internal Memory
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 04:12:53 AM »
This seems to have been debunked by an interview that IGN did with Miyamoto. Still, the report is out there, though I think it might have been a mistranslation.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 04:14:41 AM »
I wouldn't be so sure.  Look at the way he answered.  He didn't say "No this is not true".  He said he doesn't know anything about it.  Surely if it is as far along in it's development as inferred, then he would know one way or the other.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 05:57:29 AM »
lol im totally aware of flash drives and other solid state media, i have like 8 sd cards lying around, and i pretty much predicted that the games would be 2GB.
I was wondering though, how small can you make a hard drive? Sure they spin which is ultimately a nuisance, and eats power....but
those 3ds are totally guarded by booth babes. They dont want anybody to dissassemble one, maybe theres something in it they don't
want to mention just yet. There maybe a decent tradeoff between power consumption/size/and storage capacity.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04010804toshibahdd.asp

at 4gb though, i don't know if the tradeoff is there, although that was back in 2004 something like that could be 80gb now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/small-beautiful,1249.html
these are 40gb, but are 1.8 inches
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:02:34 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 08:11:45 AM »
The 3DS is not going to have an HDD... period. Too many moving parts, too much risks of damage and data loss, and you could not play a game that requires you to shake the 3DS to perform an action as that would cause to the HDD to malfunction. 

No manufacturers were interested in Toshiba's small HDD's because of the lack of space and high cost of initial development. My Archos Gmini 402 Camcorder had a 20GB 1.8 inch HDD and it was a great device... except I could not go jogging with it (good by all exercise games on the 3DS), and I could not have it playing in pocket on a hot day or the entire device shut down because of how hot the drive got. Towards the end of it's life the HDD became unstable, constantly losing songs and videos, along with annoying playback errors, and me frequently having to reformat the drive, and then upload my files onto it again. Don't get me wrong, it was by far the best PMP I have ever owned and I haven't owned one since then but the device was ruined by the HDD.

HDD's are the past. They may be getting denser, cheaper, and faster, but SSD's are catching up in all of those categories, although the cheaper part is taking the longest to catch up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:13:30 AM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.