Author Topic: Mario Kart: Double Dash - XLink Kai  (Read 5027 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Mario Kart: Double Dash - XLink Kai
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
Anyone want to experiment with me?  You'll need a GameCube, Broadband Internet Connection, Broadband Adapter, Mario Kart: Double Dash, the XLink Kai program and to live in the US, preferably close to me.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart: Double Dash - XLink Kai
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:13:09 AM »
If I find a BB Adapter on the cheap I'll totally try it with you. What are those running for now days?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:28:04 AM »
Sadly I couldn't participate in this, as all I have is wireless Internet.

I checked eBay and the adapter isn't overly expensive. Here are the amounts for every completed action for the past two weeks (shipping not included):

Used:
$20.50   
$30.00   

New:
$27.66   
$29.99
$34.99   
$49.93
$51.00

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 12:30:34 AM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:32:14 AM »
Ha ha, that's awesome.

"No used products found within 100 miles of this ZIP code."

Aw, bummer.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
I've found four using the tracker.  Keeping an eye on it on a regular basis and once, putting in the ZIP codes I was traveling through on vacation (also found 4 sets of component cables that way)...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:40:55 AM »
If I could use it, I might try to track one down, but I can't use it. There are better things I could find for reselling purposes, as well.

I didn't know their accessories are so cheap, though. I see a store near me has a component cable for $5 and a GBA > GCN Link Cable for $1. I might just make that trip...

Thank you for the tip, UncleBob!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:44:18 AM »
lol.  You're welcome.  The $5 Component Cables are a steal - but be careful!  It's not uncommon to get there and find out that they're not actually GameCube Component cables in the package (sometimes Composite Cables, sometimes off-brand "universal cables" that won't work with the GameCube via Component, sometimes Wii Component Cables... I've seen/heard it all).  Sometimes a store may just have it in their virtual inventory but not have the physical stock...

So - if you're going that way anyway, it's worth the trip to check it out.  I don't reccomend calling ahead, as some clerks may take advantage of the situation.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:48:38 AM »
How could they take advantage of the situation? Take the piece away so you can't buy it?
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 12:57:18 AM »
How could they take advantage of the situation? Take the piece away so you can't buy it?

Yup.  Supposedly, people have called ahead and find themselves under the impression that once they let the clerk know what they're looking for, they believe the clerk denies having it so they can buy it and resell it on eBay (Keep in mind, the Component cables still get $50+ on eBay...)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 11:20:47 PM »

May I bump this thread to express my annoyance with the fact that Broadband Adapters got stupid expensive before I got my set of eight. :(

I just need two more. :(

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2024, 01:03:29 AM »
Dare I ask how expensive they are now? I still hope to buy some down the road. Kicking myself for not buying even one of the 4 that were sitting in a Frys years ago. Even when there was one left for $40 I had just gotten 4 complete Wavebirds and thought for sure I could get the broadband adapters later for a reasonable price.

I'm also thankful that I snagged a Gamecube player during the pandemic. It was Japanese, but I realized that I could buy a whole new Japan Gamecube, controller, and full Gameboy player for the cost of the US disc alone.
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2024, 01:19:50 AM »
The cheapest one on eBay right now is $125 used. :(

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2024, 02:05:28 PM »
Sounds silly to say, but not too bad. I was afraid we would be talking 200-300.
My Game Collection

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2024, 05:52:30 PM »
I am surprised they're that much, really.  I can't imagine there's many people using them for their intended purpose and the unintended purpose of hacking is much easier through other methods.  Of course, it's Nintendo and it's a semi-rare piece of equipment... but still. I'm just salty. 🤣