Author Topic: Sega and Sammy Call it Quits  (Read 5606 times)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Sega and Sammy Call it Quits
« on: May 07, 2003, 10:37:45 AM »
Next time, on "As The Console Turns" ...

In what has become a rather facinating process to watch, the impending merger between Sega and Sammy has been called off, as the two companies failed to meet on a couple of key terms.

Other names have popped up as being interested in merging with Sega in recent weeks, with Namco and EA being two major names.  Recent rumors point to Microsoft having an interest in acquiring the company as well.

We'll have more information as we receive it.

:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 10:49:06 AM »
Ugh, I hope Micro$oft doesn't make a move on Sega...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 11:02:22 AM »
Please God may Microsoft not buy Sega.  Think of all of the Sega goodness we would be missing.  Dreamcast ports, Billy Hatcher, CRAZY TAXI~, no sports games ... Ah screw it.  MS can buy them

If MS did buy Sega what would happen with F-Zero?  Nintendo owns the franchise so it's not like the series would be lost but what about the specific game.  Would Sega be required to finish that title?  Also what happens to PSO?  Would the company just abandon the Cube version's online support?  If they did that they might as well just take the game off the market.

Maybe Nintendo should buy Sega.  Okay that's likely not going to happen but it would be pretty cool and Sega is a pretty talented developer that would benefit greatly from Nintendo's guidance.  Sonic Team could learn how to make a decent camera and controls that are like good and stuff.

Offline Zelda

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Sega and Sammy Call it Quits
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 11:06:25 AM »
They're a lot better off with Namco. I pray they merge with Namco.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 11:15:51 AM »
if m$ gets sega i am going to be quite upset.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Kulock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 11:22:08 AM »
Heh! I thought that'd be the case, apparently the Sammy quote panned out (of course, they would never say that as a direct reason, but there were probably other reasons as well).

For some reason, it doesn't feel like the right time for Microsoft to pick them up, but I usually call these sorts of things poorly. EA, sadly, seems more likely. But I'm holding out and hoping for Namco. Man, they would make such a team.

Offline Patch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 12:27:44 PM »
Anyone else get the impression that Sega's really hard to work with? I mean, a partnership has been on the cards since BEFORE Sega left console-making. If a company is going to partner up, why the hell should it take this long?
Ex-Editor at GameBiz!
Ex-Editor of Xbox AU!
Freelance writer for-hire; self-proclaimed sexologist.

"...Do not fold, spindl

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 12:42:11 PM »
It's getting to the point that I hope they get torn apart. I doubt that Sega is the one that hard to work with rather its its parent company. I had little hope that the Sammy things was going to go through when I found out that Sammy was making fun of the Sega Namco merger. And Sega already told Namco no, so the orginal deal is no longer on the table.....
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2003, 01:10:37 PM »
Yeah, I would love to see Sega get ripped apart too.  It's just not good for anybody the way this is going.  I just hope that Microsoft keeps their nose on this side of the ocean.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline T-Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 01:43:29 PM »
Nintendo needs to make the move now! BUY SEGA!  

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2003, 02:34:40 PM »
Well going third party was supposed to make Sega tons of Cash... seems it hasnt happened yet and i find that humorous actually... anyways Id be disapointed if Microsoft buys em. I hope they remain trully plataform agnostic even if their worst titles come for the Cube, theres still titles like Skies of Arcadia and the hope of a Nights sequel

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2003, 02:40:57 PM »
I can't see a merger with EA being much better than Microsoft

Offline Jedi Master Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003, 03:06:39 PM »
God I hope Microsoft doesn't buy them. I have an Xbox, so I wouldn't really be missing out on them, I just think Microsoft is buying themselves 2nd place in the industry (buying a bunch of good developers, spending a kajillion dollars on advertising, etc.).
If Nintendo bought Sega that'd be cool. But everyone knows that's never going to happen.
The best would definitely be Sega and Namco. As soon as I heard of the initial offer, I was like "drop Sammy, go with Namco." Just imagine! Soul Calibur 2 with Sonic... uh... ok, so maybe that wouldn't work out so well. But Namco and Sega would seriously be a great team.
Check out the games I own!

Currently Playing:
1) Final Fantasy VIII - PSX

Jedi Master Yoda

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 03:40:38 PM »
I'm sure it won't merge with MS.
Too many of Sega's developers would just go mad with rage if that happened.
It's almost a given that Yuji Naki would leave. He abandoned Sega before for much less of a reason.
If Sega's going to merge with anyone, I think it will be another company like Sammy.
Some company it will easily overshadow. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sega somehow found a way to tough it out on its own. It does have quite a few games coming out in the near future (including the Gamecube's FZero SADX) that will likely sell very well.  

Another thought : Why would MS even want to buy Sega? Haven't all of Sega's exclusive XBox games (which MS must have paid a lot of money to get) completely bombed?
Sure the bundle deal with the two Sega games caused a notable increase in hardware sales but the same would have happened with ANY two games.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2003, 05:02:21 PM »
If Nintendo bought Sega the company would become the Jedi Council of videogaming.  Miyamoto, Suzuki, Naka...it would be mind-blowing in terms of its potential for original content.

Sure, from a business standpoint Nintendo supposedly shouldn't buy Sega (the old "Nintendo is a healthy company, why would they buy Sega when Sega is struggling financially" argument), but think about it...Sega's development resources and game properties could fill a LOT of gaps in the Gamecube game library:

- a Gamecube-exclusive fighting game (Virtua Fighter)
- realistic racing game (Daytona USA or Sega Rally, or use these developers to make a Gran Turismo-type game)
- RPGs (Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arcadia)
- Gamecube-exclusive sports games (that would blow away Sony's second-party sports games from 989)

Nintendo has plenty of money in the bank so it could afford to absorb Sega's losses.  Not that absorbing these losses would be ideal, but they'd get a lot of amazing franchises in return.

On top of that, you already have Yuji Naka openly declaring his love for the Gamecube console.  And you know that Naka and Miyamoto would love to work on a project together and hold an immense mutual respect, not to mention the fact that the two companies seem to have very similar philosophies.

Heck, if you would have told me five years ago that Square and Enix would eventually merge I would have said you were nuts, but they did.  What's so crazy about Nintendo and Sega merging?  I'm beginning to think it's going to happen, since it's pretty clear what Sega's asking price is.  And Nintendo would also like to stick it to Microsoft and rob it of its crown jewel of acquisitions.

These are very interesting times, my friends.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 05:11:05 PM »
Nintendo and MS could both easily buy sega, and they both aren't strict on their developers....But it doesn't look like sega wants to be bought. They want money, and the only feasable way is through a merger. Sure, if they are bought, they will be provided funding, but who wants to be bought? But the problem is Nintendo and Microsoft are just way to big and rich to want to merge with a puny company like Sega. What would Nintendo or MS benefit from a merger? Exclusive games, sure, but they would get that in a buyout too, and in a buyout Sega would not be their "equal", they would be 0wNeD!!

I don't see why Namco would want to merge with Sega, unless they stated a lot of conditions making Sega the less powerful side of the parternship, which they probably did.

And if Sega did finally go for sale, out of the 4 companies that can actually afford to buy them out without making dent in their finances (EA, MS, Nintendo, Sony), Only EA and MS seem like they will bother buying them. Sony doesn't have a history of really buying too many developers, especially ones that have asking prices in the billions like Sega probably does. Nintendo on the other hand has bought (both completely and enough to make a second party) plenty of developers, but almost all of the time they have been companies with a long history with Nintendo (like HAL) or companies that are just starting or ready to go into the big leagues that Nintendo develops an interest in (Rare, Retro, etc.). The only real exception is Silicon Knights, but they were pretty small, unknown, and cheap (compared to Sega). As for EA, it depends on if they want to spend billions of dollars on Sega or not. They seem more content with publishing games from their own studios or independent designers like Black Box than buying other companies...MS on the other hand, like Nintendo, has bought or second-partied several companies, and they ain't afraid to spend money if it will help their console (unlike like Nintendo, who says it's not in their "business philosophy" to buy other companies, which is sorta hypocritical...).

So if they do go for sale, I can see MS jumping up and down at the beginning of the line...Sony doesn't seem like it will even care too much (but you never know), and EA will probably just watch also, but then again they HAVE shown an interest in Sega. Nintendo has billions and billions hoarded up that will probably never even be spent, and I think it would be foolish if they passed off the oppertunity to aquire sega. Why not spend a billion or two and secure yourself tons of exlusive games, especially when those billions would have just been sitting in some Japanese bank for all eternity? Then again, in the long run they would probably have to spend a lot of money maintaining Sega (Rare comes to mind), but hey, Sega would hopefully bring in profits too, not just spend money...But I don't see Nitnendo changing heart and buying sega...

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 06:03:34 PM »
The biggest problem is Sega's parent company. They just seem to put it one way bi-polar on the company. One minute they want to keep it the next moment they hate. Another they will merge it with another company.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 11:49:33 PM »
If MS gets SEGA, it will break my heart...

Offline Sean White

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2003, 12:39:53 AM »
*folds hands in prayer*

Pleeeease dear god almighty do NOT let M$ get their greedy hands on Sega.

Sega games are so good, they should be avalliable to everyone.

*Bangs head in ground*

Pleeease!!!
"..I get to fly in your spaceship!!..."

Offline cubedcinder128

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2003, 05:00:58 AM »
I pretty much agree with everyone else here. If Microsoft were to get Sega, it would be the end of the world...

Nintendo and Sega seems like a great idea, but I doubt it will happen because of what Gamefreak said. I also think it might not happen because you know PS2 and Xbox fanboys will come barging into Nintendo and Sega's doors with sledgehammers. They're undoubtedably the most passionate gamers I have ever seen, whereas I don't see too many people embrace the GameCube like it were their baby.

Sega and Namco is suddenly looking like a good idea to me, but it's so close to the deadline... they're probably not even talking about it.

Sega and EA... don't see it happening. Those two have never really gotten along well after the Sega Genesis days, particularly in the sports gaming department.

Boy, oh boy... it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few days. As long as it's not Microsoft, I won't mind seeing who Sega merges with.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64..." - Killer Instinct

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2003, 02:40:05 PM »
Damn I should've chimed in earlier!

I had a feeling that this Sammy business wasn't going to work. I just didn't think Sega would pull out at the 11th hour... I just ranted and raved about this a week ago, Namco would be the ideal choice in this situation. They both make similiar games, Namco is pretty stable despite flagging economies, and Sega will get the long-term finacial security they need.

But Sega itself is not calling the shots on this one. CSK (OR CKE some 3 letter acronym) handles their business decsions, so who knows, they might sell their souls to M$ for stability. They might knock at EA's door and grovel at their feet (we're sorry, save us please! Onegaishimasu!) Hell, if they walked into in Namco and said "We're sorry, you were right, I was wrong, lets get married errrm lets merge." It wouldn't shock me

Nintendo's been pretty silient on this one, but again as stated earilier, it looks like Sega just wants the money without the responsibility. They could scoop 'em up, but do they want to?

The last option has too outcomes: A) they stick it out alone, and some how manage B) declare bankruptcy if that's bad if it doesn't pan out. Looks like we got our selves a little soap opera to call our own...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2003, 06:35:12 PM »
Its CSK, CKE is the comany that rund Carl Jr's and Hardee's Restaurants.