Author Topic: MDK2 Coming to WiiWare  (Read 4071 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
MDK2 Coming to WiiWare
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:52:17 AM »
Bioware's classic action title is reborn as a downloadable title.
                        http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23569

Interplay
has announced that Bioware's classic third-person shooting game, MDK2, is being re-released as a WiiWare title. The port will
be handled by Beamdog, a development studio founded by Bioware employee Trent Osner.

class="Apple-style-span" style="border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style:
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px;
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium;">style="border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space:
normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium;">

MDK2 was first released on the
Sega Dreamcast on March 31, 2000. The title starred Kurt Hectic, Max the mechanical six-legged dog, and Doctor Fluke Hawkins.
All three characters were playable and featuring different gameplay mechanics.

style="border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space:

The WiiWare version is set to be released this winter.

class="Apple-style-span" style="border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style:
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px;
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium;">style="border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal;

Special thanks to Shaymin from
the NWR forums for the news tip!

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: MDK2 Coming to WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
This game is gonna fit in a 40MB file size?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »

Yeah, that's bothering me as well.  We can't fit Tales of Monkey Island episodes within 40 MB without the games having serious issues, yet we can fit an entire Dreamcast game on the service?  I have to wonder if Nintendo's finally lifting the file size restriction.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »

Yes.

Code & gameplay is fitting in the 40MB. We won’t use any pre-rendered videos in between levels, but also most the original textures of MDK2 weren’t compressed, so it will fit. - Interplay's Eric Caen
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »

Yes.

Code & gameplay is fitting in the 40MB. We won’t use any pre-rendered videos in between levels, but also most the original textures of MDK2 weren’t compressed, so it will fit. - Interplay's Eric Caen
That just goes to show how bloated games were back in the day and that CD's and DVD's weren't exactly necessary for most games.
I can only imagine how much space was left empty on the average PS1, PS2, DC & Xbox disc.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
Remember that Animal Crossing fit into GameCube's RAM and could be played for hours with the lid open and disc removed. GameCube only had about 40MB of RAM (plus some for audio)... so maybe Animal Crossing could be put on WiiWare? Maybe this is also the explanation for the WiiWare size limit, which I've heard is related to hardware restrictions and is not as arbitrary or easy to fix as you might think.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »
Sounds interesting. Did anybody play it on Dreamcast?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 01:12:24 PM »
I played it on my PC.  It was a fairly strong game with interesting visuals and a very good sense of humor.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »
I played the demo of the first MDK about a hundred times on my PC.  I didn't have any money back then.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »
Remember that Animal Crossing fit into GameCube's RAM and could be played for hours with the lid open and disc removed. GameCube only had about 40MB of RAM (plus some for audio)... so maybe Animal Crossing could be put on WiiWare? Maybe this is also the explanation for the WiiWare size limit, which I've heard is related to hardware restrictions and is not as arbitrary or easy to fix as you might think.
Considering it's a glorified 64DD game, I wouldn't doubt it.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »
i saw Mk2 in the title and got excited thinking it was a SNES remake of Mortal Kombat 2. My favorite MK game...now i'm sad it's a totally different game.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 11:51:25 PM »
For what is MDK an acronym?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Murder Death Kill

if my serves me correctly

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 12:11:10 AM »
Murder Death Kill

Officially it doesn't stand for anything, and they never actually mention it in the games either. It was actually a running joke about what it could stand for; "Murder. Death. Kill" was one of them, along with stuff like "My Dear Knight".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 12:49:28 AM »
But isn't this the game where the guy has a sniper rifle for a head?

Just asking to make sure I'm remembering the right game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 01:44:55 AM »
Murder Death Kill

Officially it doesn't stand for anything, and they never actually mention it in the games either. It was actually a running joke about what it could stand for; "Murder. Death. Kill" was one of them, along with stuff like "My Dear Knight".

I think a common one was Max, Doctor, Kurt.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 01:53:26 PM »
Murder Death Kill

Murder Death Kill is actually from the movie Demolition Man.