Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 544518 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #700 on: June 17, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
I don't. Nintendo has no reason to. DS, in all it's incarnations, and Wii are still selling well. Not as well, but well. I think Nintendo should let their current hardware have one more holiday season. 3DS doesn't need the holiday season to sell. It's going to sell and it's going to sell well.... even in March 2011.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 17, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
Fear Effect 1 and 2 for the PS1 should be remade into 3D for the 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 17, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
I don't. Nintendo has no reason to. DS, in all it's incarnations, and Wii are still selling well. Not as well, but well. I think Nintendo should let their current hardware have one more holiday season. 3DS doesn't need the holiday season to sell. It's going to sell and it's going to sell well.... even in March 2011.

Just release it before Sony announced PSPenis 2 at E3 2011.  I'd like Holiday though :P
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
anyone believes that it'll launch around the holidays this year? Seems to be following in the footsteps of it's predecessor  I'd be really excited if that's the case for an US launch this holiday.

I believe it will launch in Japan this Xmas season and in the US before march 2011.

Could this be a hint of a 3DS virtual console?

http://kotaku.com/5565824/rumor-3ds-allows-game-installs
Now lets do the math on that.....

3DS carts are uptp 2GB in size at launch.
Several 3DS games can be stored on the 3DS and accessed from a menu.
This means that the 3DS Has 3x2GB (because several games would lead me to believe atleast 3) of internal memory
or 6+GB of onboard storage.
or do you think Nintendo would let you save the games themselves to an encrypted SD card and run straight from there?

Look at the bottom right corner of this picture. Is it a 3DS game cartridge?

http://www.infendo.com/nintendo-3ds-on-the-show-floor/

It clearly says on the name card below the cartridge "Nintendo 3DS Game Card"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
Has anyone seen this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnyBxVhK_c

Pikmin 3D, Mario 3D, Metroid 3D and Zelda3D.

You can see the 3D on the 3DS screen..... sorta.

edit: LOL

This will be sooo true come this Xmas Holiday Season.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:03:56 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 17, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »
Damnit BnM can't get enough can you? I <3 you lol.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »
Will the 3D effect of the 3DS work for me?

I'm hoping that stores will have a 3DS demo kiosk so that we can see for ourselves.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 17, 2010, 11:11:46 PM »
I didn't see a thread for MGS3D, but did you guys see the video of it in action?
http://tinypic.com/m/am75ur/3

Damnit BnM can't get enough can you? I <3 you lol.

I'm playing catch up here, I missed all the action when it was live, so forgive me if you've seen some of the stuff I'm posting about right now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »
The MGS 3 tech demo is showing off the ability of the hardware. I have a feeling that a remake of the original Metal Gear for NES is in the works with the same level of detail as that of the tech demo.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 17, 2010, 11:26:53 PM »
The MGS 3 tech demo is showing off the ability of the hardware. I have a feeling that a remake of the original Metal Gear for NES is in the works with the same level of detail as that of the tech demo.

What makes you say that?

Ughhh. I'm usually so on top of this, I feel like I've missed everything.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 17, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »
Miyamoto talks 3DS Tag mode & Game Download (Nikkei article)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1100039p1.html
IGN: Other than revealing that the 3DS has improved wireless (like   with the tag mode) and improved always-on features at Wi-Fi spots, there   wasn't much talk about any improved online strategies. I'm wondering,   what is Nintendo doing   to improve the online experience? Both on the portables as well as Wii?   

Miyamoto:
We're obviously in an era now where wireless connectivity   is pretty pervasive, and you can find it anywhere. And because of that   we're going to continue to look at ways to supplement our online   experience. But I think the thing that's important to keep in mind is   that as long as the technology is the same, then the services that   people offer are all going to tend to gravitate toward the same kinds of   things. Nintendo's way is that what we're going to be focused on is   what we can do with that online experience, to make it feel unique and   more Nintendo-like. 

One of the reasons we're focusing on the Tag Mode (or Bark Mode) is that   we're looking at ways to not only implement that kind of virtual   connection to a network, but also to try to do something unique with   these person-to-person connections when you're passing by someone on the   street. And I think that there are some interesting elements to that   that we can implement into our games that will create a new type of fun   that we haven't been able to see elsewhere.   

The other thing that we're trying to do with the Nintendo 3DS is that   even for people who don't have wireless access in their home, our goal   is that by carrying the device around with them they'll be able to   connect to wireless networks elsewhere. And without even realizing it,   they'll notice some kind of change in their game data, or a download   containing new information. I think that that kind of surprise element   is something that will have a very Nintendo feel to it. 

IGN: At the developer roundtable, you were talking about ideas for   why you've gone 3D with the 3DS. One of them was that when seeing one of   the Mario series' floating coin boxes, it's easier to hit it in 3D.   With all the tech demos that were out there, I'm surprised that Mario   wasn't shown. And I'm wondering that if you had that in your mind, why   didn't Mario make a showing? 

Miyamoto:
We could have very easily done a quick, Mario-based tech   demo that would show something like that. But one of the things I'm   always concerned about is showing people a Mario game before it's ready   to be shown. So that's why we held back this time. But now that Super   Mario Galaxy 2 is done, we'll be able to go hard at work on a new Mario   game for Nintendo 3DS. You can expect to see a Mario game at some point.   You'll just have to wait a little bit longer.   

IGN: The Nikkei newspaper revealed this morning that the 3DS system   has some sort of software installation option. I'm wondering if you can   comment further on what was announced. 

Miyamoto:
I'm not familiar with the article that you're referencing,   but of course even with Nintendo DSi we introduced DSiWare and we   introduced applications that were built into the system menu. So I   wonder if maybe they were talking about something along those lines? 

IGN: They're actually not. They're saying that there's an option you   can use to install software so that you don't have to bring your   cartridges with you. It was something separate from DSiWare. 

Miyamoto:
I'm not familiar with that.

Tag mode sounds.... interesting, but I'd like to see what they actually use it for. Seems like something made with AC in mind.

And as far as the software install, I'm sure Miyamoto is playing dumb as to not reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed yet.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 18, 2010, 05:21:05 AM »
Is there any info or screens for the classic game collection?  I'm curious about that.  What is it classic arcade games (or console games) where the background layers appear at various 3D depths?  It would be mostly a gimmick, but could be kinda cool to see sprites doing that sort of thing.

Quote from: IGN
here are many, many tech demos for the Nintendo 3DS at   Nintendo's booth, both on the floor and off. One of the more surprising   of the tech demos was something called "Classic Games." In   this interactive but nonplayable demo, you could cycle through 18   different pixel-perfect NES and Super NES games and see them reprocessed   in 3D. 

Basically, all the sprites and backgrounds have been pulled forward or   pushed backwards to provide the appropriate illusion of depth using the   stereoscopic LCD of the system. It's obviously a proof of concept to   show that you can bring back the classics in a whole new way: in 3D. 

The list of games in this collection included Mario Bros., Tennis, Super   Mario Bros. The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Musasame, Punch-Out!!,   Excitebike, NES Open Golf, Twin Bee, Super Mario World, Kirby's   Adventure, Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Urban Champ, Kid Icarus, Yoshi's   Island, and Smash Ping Pong.   

To be honest, it was fun to see the added depth. Bald Bull's bulging   bicep coming out of the rest of his body, or Tennis's classic   perspective drifting off into the distance. It worked. And even if you   just want to play standard flat 2D NES games, just slide the 3D effect   off on the switch. 

Will this actually see the light of day? I vote for it. 
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #712 on: June 18, 2010, 09:51:45 AM »
I doubt there will ever be a Classic Games game, it sounds like a classic example of just a simple tech demo to show off the 3D effect.

BNM, I don't think Miyamoto was playing dumb. Most people seem to think that the Nikkei article was just sloppily translated (it wouldn't be the first time we got wrong information due to a foreign language article being mis-translated).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #713 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
That list of games would be a licensing nightmare. Mega Man 2? Castlevania?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
I doubt there will ever be a Classic Games game, it sounds like a classic example of just a simple tech demo to show off the 3D effect.

BNM, I don't think Miyamoto was playing dumb. Most people seem to think that the Nikkei article was just sloppily translated (it wouldn't be the first time we got wrong information due to a foreign language article being mis-translated).

Awesome, I hope we still get some 2D games like a new Castlevania using that style of 2D converted to 3D.

And I would TOTALLY buy a classic's collection of that type.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 18, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »
I would not be surprised if the 3DS has internal holographic memory mainly for the download of 3DS games and content.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 18, 2010, 01:33:31 PM »
Why don't we have a topic for Kid Icarus? Glad flight playes a huge role in this game unlike the first game.

About Project Sora, I remember that name from some time ago. Does anyone remember when Nintendo first told us about it?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 18, 2010, 02:23:10 PM »
I would not be surprised if the 3DS has internal holographic memory mainly for the download of 3DS games and content.

Don't count on it.  It's still too early.  Think in terms of a future home console.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 18, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

Don't count on it.  It's still too early.  Think in terms of a future home console.
Like the one after the next one I think.  I still don't think the price on the holographic storage is low enough for Nintendo to release the system at the price they want and still make a profit.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 18, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »
3DS as an eReader? http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-3ds-game-card-spotted-new-wireless-ereader-app-tipped-1890461/

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has hinted that the 3DS may be able to “automatically acquire newspaper and magazine articles” using its integrated wireless connection.

Speaking to Japanese paper Nikkei this week, Iwata reiterated that the 3DS’ wireless connection could remain active while the gaming handheld itself was in sleep mode.  â€ťIt will seek out and automatically connect with wireless LAN spots, and download information” he explained, before going on to illustrate one potential use-case where timely news could be automatically loaded onto the 3DS and offered to the gamer when they turn the device on.

Nintendo has already created multiple content partnerships in Japan with the existing DSi, which can download mini-games and other information from retailers and transport links.  No word on how we could expect battery life to suffer with this constant scanning for connectivity, nor whether Nintendo are planning paid or only free content for the system.

I didn't really see a point to this except for the 'timely news' part, which I assume translates to RSS feeds. Reading full books on the screen may prove a little challenging.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #720 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »
3DS as an eReader? http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-3ds-game-card-spotted-new-wireless-ereader-app-tipped-1890461/

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has hinted that the 3DS may be able to “automatically acquire newspaper and magazine articles” using its integrated wireless connection.

Speaking to Japanese paper Nikkei this week, Iwata reiterated that the 3DS’ wireless connection could remain active while the gaming handheld itself was in sleep mode.  ”It will seek out and automatically connect with wireless LAN spots, and download information” he explained, before going on to illustrate one potential use-case where timely news could be automatically loaded onto the 3DS and offered to the gamer when they turn the device on.

Nintendo has already created multiple content partnerships in Japan with the existing DSi, which can download mini-games and other information from retailers and transport links.  No word on how we could expect battery life to suffer with this constant scanning for connectivity, nor whether Nintendo are planning paid or only free content for the system.

I didn't really see a point to this except for the 'timely news' part, which I assume translates to RSS feeds. Reading full books on the screen may prove a little challenging.

Reading books could be AWESOME when you turn on the 3D slider and the line you are reading is LARGER & pops off screen.

And timely "news" reports sounds like a twitter confirmation to me ;)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 19, 2010, 06:49:48 AM »
Why don't we have a topic for Kid Icarus? Glad flight playes a huge role in this game unlike the first game.

About Project Sora, I remember that name from some time ago. Does anyone remember when Nintendo first told us about it?

Sora is being worked on by Sakurai's company (the Kirby and Smash Brother guy).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 19, 2010, 07:44:40 AM »
Project Sora is Kid Icarus.  At least that's what it meant to me.  When Iwata showed the Kid Icarus trailer it was prefaced by "Project Sora". 

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
And it will be awesome!
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 19, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
Project Sora is Kid Icarus.  At least that's what it meant to me.  When Iwata showed the Kid Icarus trailer it was prefaced by "Project Sora".  

Interesting... a few show-goers mentioned that the graphics on Kid Icarus were a little blocky, was it perhaps originally a DSi or even Wii title that they decided to launch with the 3DS to encourage more old-school gamers to switch over to the 3DS?

I was thinking before that the new remakes do serve to maybe bring back someone who hasn't played a Nintendo console since OoT, and will want to play it again in 3D along with Star Fox 64, and Goldeneye, which were three of the best games on the N64. It makes a compelling argument to both pick one up for someone who was never really interested in handhelds, and for current DSi owners to switch over.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.