Author Topic: How hardcore are you?  (Read 6020 times)

Offline TheGodfather

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
How hardcore are you?
« on: December 14, 2003, 08:01:51 AM »
I'm curious to know how many of you guys on here make it a point to buy games that are only exclusive to the cube? Do you only buy games that have the "only for" moniker in the left hand corner of the game box, or do buy whatever, just has long as its worth your hard earned cash?  

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
RE: How hardcore are you?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 08:05:28 AM »
how do i be a fanboy, let me count the ways.
i buy games i like, regardless of platform. just because it's 'only for' gamecube doesn't necissarilly mean i'll like it, anyone who automaticaly buys 'only for' games should expand their mind.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 08:20:26 AM »
I have on occasion bought games that I felt the publisher made a special effort to put on GameCube, and I wanted to show my appreciation.  (Viewtiful Joe is about the only one I can think of though).

I did have a birthday celebration for my GameCube this year though.  I bought her a cake, and Mario Kart, and a bottle of champagne.  She didn't get any champagne, but she did blow out the candles, and get to play Mario Kart.    I also have a tattoo of Nintendo's Logo on my arm.    (Yes, it's real).

The only non-Nintendo console I have ever owned was an Atari 2600.

Yes, I am hardcore.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 08:49:42 AM »
I buy games I'm interested in.  Most of the time, they just happen to be exclusive.  If there are two games I want, and one's exclusive, guess which one I'll buy?  I do try to only buy exlcusives after making some big mistakes (Agent under fire, spiderman...).

Oh yeah, Grey Ninja is sexy.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
RE:How hardcore are you?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 09:18:52 AM »
I puke when I hear the word hardcore.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 09:26:26 AM »
Out of my 17 Gamecube titles, only 1 is a non-exclusive title...That being Soul Calibur II(which has exclusive Link anyway)...The thing is, most third-parties don't to seem the understand the term "quality."

I consider a "hardcore" gamer to be one who follows gaming seriously and with passion, and I follow that philosophy...

Bill - Nintendo loyalist since 1989...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 09:44:27 AM »
I buy any GameCube game that interests me, but Bill is right. Alot of third parties have nothing in terms of quality on Nintendo.

Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker- my love of these three games defines my fanboyishness towards Nintendo.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 11:03:54 AM »
Well I dont think being hardcore is counted by the amount of exclusive games one has but by thier skill as a gamer.

Me? I am hardcore ...All my games are exclusive and I have never ever bought a non - exclusive game for my ninty consoles. Third parties dont know what quality is ( except Capcom , Namco and Square ) , I ussualy stick to 1st and 2nd party games ...my only exception are Namco , Capcom and Square games. Although Ubi-Soft seem to be showing lots of promise as of late...
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 11:10:59 AM »
I R H4|2D C0R3 TOOZ!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 11:19:12 AM »
I may only own two multiplatform game for my Gamecube, but that's for a number of reasons, none having anything to do with me being hardcore. First, the vast majority of good games for the Gamecube are exclusive, leaving little room for anything else. Second, the vast majority of multiplatform games suck @$$, leaving me with no desire to purchase them for any console. And third, the vast majority of good multiplatform games on the Gamecube are lazy ports of the PS2 version anyway, leaving me with a subpar version of what is otherwise an excellent game.

BTW, Pale, what do you think of Ico?  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 11:37:36 AM »
I used to get "Only For" games. Mainly because they usually have the best quality. Then Soul Calibur II came along and had to ruin my streak. It is such a fun game though.  
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 12:33:29 PM »
I have two non-Nintendo games; one sucks, the other is okay.  I'm mainly a Nintendo fan. . . almost every game they make seems to appeal to me in almost every way possible. . . it's bizarre.  But I do like some 3rd party games.  Mainly I'm interested in Killer 7, maybe Viewtiful Joe.  But that's it so far.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 12:35:37 PM »
I have 13 gamecube games and 5 of them are non-exclusive, but only 1 of those is a non-sports game. For the most part it seems multiplatform games are kind of worthless. I do have to admit though, that my favorite game (NCAA Football 2004) is a multiplatform game made by EA and my least favorite (Luigi's Mansion) was an exclusive made by Nintendo. Nintendo's still better than EA though.

Offline ezaphlix

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 12:53:29 PM »
I own a Virtual Boy.  Need I say more?
If I want realism I'll go outside.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2003, 12:58:56 PM »
Uhmm Ico? not sure where that question came up.  I own it, enjoyed it for quite a while, but for some reason haven't finished it yet.  I think it is very very cool in the visual style and the concept is neat.  Arm dragging physics are fun.  Hmm, maybe i'll go finish that up now.  Its definately worth buying though.  I just always have too many games on my plate.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 01:02:04 PM »
I got Ico , It is too slow paced for me , I played it for a while and it has some great puzzles in it .

Pros - Great presentation
       - Smart puzzles
       - Amazing Graphics

Cons - Slow paced gameplay ( but thats how its meant to be )
        - Controls - slow reaction
        - Repetive battles.

I rate it a 7/10 , if you are intrested in the game then you should get it.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 01:02:54 PM »
I looked at your game collection and noticed you had it marked as "Playing". Ico is one of my favorite games this generation, indeed one of my favorite games to date. You really should finish it, as I regard its ending cutscene as the best in a videogame ever.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 01:06:01 PM »
God Ico looks great, but there's no way I'll play it anytime soon. (years...)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 01:11:04 PM »
Ohh i see..i really should update the now playing thing... :-P  Actually right now i'm playing Mario Kart and Final Fantasy IX, as weird as that sounds.  
---------------------

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2003, 02:17:38 PM »
If I purchased GameCube games that only had the 'ONLY FOR' crap in the corner, I'd be owning that BeyBlades GC game now. NO THANKS. I purchase games that interest me. I'm not a ratings whore, or a graphics whore, which I why I still regard Sonic Mega Collection as one of the best GameCube games I've played. If I see something I know I'll love, I'll get it. The end.

*Stands up*
I own an Atari Lynx and I love it, I'm super hardcore 1337 whatever, d00ds. >=O

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2003, 02:28:34 PM »
Since I perfer the Gamecube over the other platforms if a game is on multiplatforms I usally buy it for the Gamecube. But as of the only on thing I don't go out of my way. If I like it I buy it.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2003, 07:42:20 PM »
I don't care about exclusivity status or publisher, I get what I like and that's it. However, experience told me that crossplatform games are usually bad since the porting indicates desire for more money. The same experience tells me to stay away from licensed games. I hate gameplay being compromised by outside material, be it realism, a franchise or a license. If they have a certain pool of signature moves they need to give a character, even though they don't fit into the game, that sucks. See Link in SC2 or pretty much every character in SSBM for reference.

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2003, 08:28:14 PM »
How do you equate being hardcore with buying nintendo only games. To me that's not what being a hardcore gamer means, that's being a fanboy. Some of my games are exclusive and some of them aren't but I don't really pay attention to that because it doesn't matter. You should of said how much of a hardcore fanboy are you. I'm not a fanboy and everyone has their own definition of what "hardcore" means. Some might think of it as how good you are, some think of it as how much you play, some think of it as how much passion you have. I tend to think of it as all 3. I want nintendo to do well but at the end of the day I just want to play good games.  

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2003, 10:46:52 PM »
WHOA!!! Great way of putting it ...I actually didnt think ( ....) of it like that. This topic should be changed from hardcore to fanboy.  Am I a Ninty fanboy ...HELL YEAH.

I enjoy ninty games because of the pure magic that put in them. I am also a Namco fanboy...4 games of theirs are in my top 10 list ( TOS and BK occupy # 1&2 while Donkey Konga is there somewhere...lower on the list is Star Fox 2 ) .

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2003, 01:57:45 AM »
I have 22 GameCube games. Not only do I love going back and playing and replaying them (SSBM, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, Soul Calibur II- to name a few), but there are PLENTY of already-released and to-be-released GCN games I want as well. The rest of 2003, 2004, and 2005 will decide if GCN will be my favorite system, ever!

I cannot express my love of GCN enough!

But, I find myself to be a complete fanboy of Nintendo. Their games and magic have touched the lives of all gamers who ACTUALLY PLAY THEM.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!