Author Topic: Nintendo Is Lookin Good!  (Read 5643 times)

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« on: May 13, 2003, 03:36:14 PM »
Holy crap! Have you seen whats being released? 2 Zelda games, 2 Pokemon games, a sequal to Mario RPG, a Mega Man game, Kirby's Air ride, not to menton F-Zero and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Nintendo is going excellent and are bringing the hits home. Things are looking up and are going to bring new users to the market I can guarentee it.
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 03:55:59 PM »
Come to think of it, there wre quite a few shockers- maybe not on the scale as that PSP thingy (god I hope Sony burns in hell), but quite a few none the less. The big one for me, though, was Geist. I was VERY surprised to learn an FPS was actually coming out of Nintendo, and not made by Rare, either!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline GoHuskers

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 04:08:37 PM »
The only problem is the two Zelda games are kind of cheap. They say they're for gamecube, but in reality they are actually GBA games. One, the Four Swords is a remake of the Four Swords for the GBA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to play you have to have 4 GBAs and 4 people playing? Sounds more like a hassle than a game, and doesn't sound very fun anyway. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but the other is like a GBA Mario Party with Zelda characters right? I like Mario Party for the GCN, but if they made a Zelda one for the GCN it wouldn't have nearly as much appeal to me, but if they make it for GBA? *snore*

Most of the other titles sound cool though.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 04:28:51 PM »
I am somewhat underwhelmed by Nintendos embarassing E3 display. Xbox and PS2 absolutely ripped Nintendo at this years E3 in my eyes. I want a refund goddamit

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 04:36:03 PM »
Sony, maybe, but DEFINETELY not Microsoft. All they've got is a Halo 2 movie, and the only reason to think THAT'S the best thing at the show is if you thought Halo was the greatest thing ever, in which case you've obviously never played videogames before. Nintendo didn't have many shockers, but they have some quality titles to show. I think IGN summed it up pretty nice:

"We left the show feeling slightly disappointed and baffled at Nintendo's future line-up, particularly its decision to push GBA connectivity and neglect fully blown GameCube franchise hits.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline GCSoccer

• View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 04:46:29 PM »
Remeber guys, E3 hasnt even started, this is Pre-E3.  Nintendo will pull out the big guns in the next couple of days.  I do think that new Four Sword like cube zelda seems a little to gimmicky to be a stand alone zelda, remeber four swords came with ALTTP.  This will come with the new zelda that will prolly be annouced this week.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 04:51:19 PM »

Sony, maybe, but DEFINETELY not Microsoft.

Um, Halo 2 absolutely blows every little pokemon and zelda game nintendo showed into tiny little pieces. Have you seen it?! And Conker: Live & Uncut looks awesome! And so does that other Rare game. Not to mention Doom III and Halflife 2... nintendowned...  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 05:07:54 PM »
....Or not.  

Offline egman

• View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 05:10:23 PM »
Mario--Listen to GCSoccer and Mouse_Clicker, they have very good points to make. This is only preliminary stuff, and pretty much everything that was mentioned was leaked weeks in advance. It was going to be underwhelming regardless. Actually, the only real suprise in the last couple of days has been that PSP bomb that was dropped today, and even then there were rumours and speculation about Sony's plans for the handheld market for months. We still haven't seen some of the big projects from EAD like that Fear game and the new Mario, so there are still some things to look forward to. Halo 2 may have made an impression, but does Microsoft have anything coming that we all don't already know about?

While I wasn't blown away by Nintendo's conference, I'm not impressed by the others either. I agree with the IGN quote though, this connectivity thing is beginning to be bothersome. The Pac-Man thing is pretty cool, but some of the ideas look like they are going to piss off more gamers rather than attract the huge GBA userbase. There has got to be a less alienating way of making  GBA/GC connectivity work.  

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 05:14:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario

Sony, maybe, but DEFINETELY not Microsoft.

Um, Halo 2 absolutely blows every little pokemon and zelda game nintendo showed into tiny little pieces. Have you seen it?! And Conker: Live & Uncut looks awesome! And so does that other Rare game. Not to mention Doom III and Halflife 2... nintendowned...

Did I miss something Mario? MS has hardly has good showing for E3 thus far. Outside of of Halo and the two Rare games you have two PC titles. Where is the wealth of great titles that you are seeing, what are they because thus far MS has yet to have a good E3 IMO. They have been living off of hype and free game promotions.

Sony so far definately has dropped the bomb of the show with the announcement of the PSP. That stated it seems to be like there PS2 announcement, a bunch of specs, no price, and don't buy anything wait for this type of announcement. Without a price, screenshots of some titles, and announcements concerning 3rd party support it almost vaporware. The technology is quite impressive but the Gameboy has always been outgunned from a technological standpoint. To beat the GBA...sony will need games and portability. The PSP will obviously be much larger than the GBA. If Nintendo doens't see it as a threat, given what happened with the original PS, they either know something we don't or they have something up there sleeve.

Nintendo's E3 has been a disappointment to me thus far but, only because I have yet to see a big surprise from them. They usually have a great surprise for us each year. That stated the wealth of titles from Nintendo shown so far has been excellent. I would like to see more of Twin Snakes, learn more about Geist, etc. Oh and I'm finally glad to hear that we will be getting Fire Emblem. I will hold a real judgement on E3 when the actual show begins. I mean its the pre show for God's sake Mario LOL.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2003, 05:17:30 PM »
Nintendo has a solid lineup so far. Nothing as shocking as last year's show of course (yet...), but I can't help but think if they showed Mario Kart and F-Zero right out of the blue at the show, people would be more excited.
But yeah... some of their cube titles do look a little cheap, especially the Zelda titles, which really disappoints me. I just hope they make the right moves when actually pricing the games ($50 for Pokemon Box, I think NOT)
Titles I am genuienly excited about, aside from the obvious Mario Kart and F-Zero, is Kirby's Air Ride, which actually looks like a fun little game, Star Fox 2, Wario World, and Pokemon Colusseium, which might just fix everything wrong with the N64 games. Geist and Custom Robo also looks interesting and worth looking into.
And as a side note, the IGNCube boys have always been doom and gloom about Nintendo failing. It's almost as if they get off on bitching that Nintendo is doing everything wrong.

Oh, and I think it's funny that Rare is finally putting another Conker game out there and it's not much more than a remake of Bad Fur Day with Xbox Live elements in multiplayer.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2003, 05:22:24 PM »
Ok let me rephrase what i said. SO FAR Nintendo havent impressed me at all, 2 Zeldas, 3 Pokemons and 2 Starfox's? WTF are they thinking. But, im a bit confused now, are you guys trying to tell me that Nintendo has more games to be unvieled? I thought they had revealed everything at thier press conference? Bah!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2003, 05:24:52 PM »
Nintendo has a crapload of stuff, and all of it looks good.  I haven't seen half the stuff you all are talking about, either, so that's saying something.

I could care less about PSP (handheld Sony, am I right?).  That doesn't look like it's going anywhere.  Nintendo is way ahead in number of products, perfection thereof, and experience in general.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2003, 05:27:08 PM »
Only one Star Fox.

And yes, I HAVE seen Halo 2. No doubt it looks incredible, but it's the same god damned thing as Halo, which was the same god damned thing as every other FPS out there (just BETTER). True, 3 Pokemom titles and 2 Zelda titles aren't anything special, but since when was Halo 2 if you weren't a deluded XBox fanboy? And what's with Doom III suddenly playing into the mix? All we've seen of the game is a video that pushes like a trillion polygons- it's not even the Doom we know and love. And it's coming out on the PC. Half Life 2? I'll give you props for mentioning it, but I would've put this game FAR ahead of Halo 2. Good thing I'll be buying it for my computer (if I ever get the thing running smoothly). At least Nintendo has new, original, *exclusive* titles. Even Halo 2 will make it to the PC eventually.

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2003, 05:42:09 PM »
I've seen video on almost all of Nintendo's lineup. MGS: TS and Custom Robo were impressive. Mario Kart and FZero look like this years big games. The Star Fox 2 pics look bad. Watch the video and it is much better. Geist looks good so far.

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2003, 05:49:40 PM »
Whats the PS2 coming out with that GC isnt getting (dont say a GTA game). I mean cmon, Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes, FF:CC, a Mario Kart game (as weird as it looks when has Mario Kart let you down?) F-Zero, 2 Starfox games, and Geist.

Yes the whole GBA thing with Zelda isnt that cool, Nintendo didnt realize not everyone has friends with GBAs but you can still play single player correct? Halo 2? Pfft. Nothing Timesplitters 2, MoH, or even Medal Gear cant handle not to mention Metroid Prime and Metroid 2.  
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2003, 05:58:10 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Only one Star Fox.

And yes, I HAVE seen Halo 2. No doubt it looks incredible, but it's the same god damned thing as Halo, which was the same god damned thing as every other FPS out there (just BETTER). True, 3 Pokemom titles and 2 Zelda titles aren't anything special, but since when was Halo 2 if you weren't a deluded XBox fanboy? And what's with Doom III suddenly playing into the mix? All we've seen of the game is a video that pushes like a trillion polygons- it's not even the Doom we know and love. And it's coming out on the PC. Half Life 2? I'll give you props for mentioning it, but I would've put this game FAR ahead of Halo 2. Good thing I'll be buying it for my computer (if I ever get the thing running smoothly). At least Nintendo has new, original, *exclusive* titles. Even Halo 2 will make it to the PC eventually.

Ok, let me make one thing clear, i am NOT an xbox fanboy. Just the thought of that brings shivers down my spine. Just look at the game collection in my sig, nintendo all the way! Doom III is not coming to Gamecube, it is coming to xbox though. Halflife 2 is not coming to GameCube, it is coming to xbox though. I dont care if their on pc, and dont give me this bs about Halo 2 being on PC because Halo 1 isnt even on PC yet and it came out on xbox nearly two years ago now. And where are Nintendo's new, original titles huh? The three new Pokemon games? Pikmin 2? Another Mario Kart? Two new zelda games? Metroid prime 2? Mario Party 5?

EDIT: Although i must admit Metroid Prime 2 looks pretty sweet, and so does Pikmin 2

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2003, 06:01:56 PM »
You should look at the games shown so far that Nintendo has more variety.  I am a little disappointed but then again, my expectation was high.  E3 is far from over so I haven't given up hope on Mario 128, Too Human or any other surprises Nintendo has in store being shown.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2003, 06:06:45 PM »
Its obvious that nintendo is trying to push the Cube connectivity with GBA by using there most popular series.  Even if they arent that exciting, and are sort of rehashes, I am willing to bet that it will still jump start other developers into using the connectivity.  Anyway, nintendo has a strong showing this year, I dont think they stole the show, but for once has a good and solid lineup, not just one or two titles that completely dominate.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2003, 06:19:29 PM »
as others have said thus far- e3 has yet to start now
at last years e3, we knew what we were getting (zelda, metroid, mario) and nintendo still took the show for how good the games were
nintendo's biggest announcement thus far is what mouse_clicker said: Geist
that game came out of no where and is already looking good
and nintendo is helping to make this game
the concepts of the game seem good so hopefully we will see more later
we only have had teaser videos of everything so far- we shall soon see more on mario kart and fzero (which i want to)
the biggest surprise thus far was sony's psp, but all we know are specs and not anything else concrete
remember- e3 is from tommorrow (wed.) till friday
i am sure nintendo will show us more during that time

sony's game lineup is not that great yet- the best game shown thus far in mgs3
microsoft had some good games shown- halo 2, bc, fable and those 2 new rare games- nothing which was a total surprise to us yet

i personally want to see what that mario and luigi game on gba is about (along with metroid zero mission)
also- what about the mario game that nintendo is making (the one miyamoto talked of....mario 128)
i would like to see that as well
i think e3 will be a good year for nintendo- we shall see
i call the big one bitey.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2003, 06:29:37 PM »
Nintendo has stated that they have taken 11% more market share from the competition last year, which is pretty good. They have some very good titles coming out. Some of them dont impress me yet. The GBA games on the GCN (zelda etc) dont look too good, but so what. With so many good titles coming out like mario kart and final fantasy I will have plenty to choose from.

GCN has outsold Xbox by like 1.3 million units so it looks like M$ hasnt been able to buy second place yet

As for the PSP it could be nice, but it wont be out 'till the end of 2004 and there are already 1000+ games for GBA so there wont be much competition. Even if it is more powerful and can have better graphics or whatever it will be a long uphill battle for Sony. Just look at how PS2 owns the market with the worst system.

Halo II looks nice. I must admit that I love Halo. Unfortunately it is the only game I like for XBox and anyways all M$ has is a video and a release date for next year... maybe.

The Pac Man game looks fun. Hopefully some of these GBA type games for GCN will be priced appropriately like ($25-$35)
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2003, 07:41:16 PM »
hey you guys know IGN confirmed pilotwings by factor5 right? they wrote something on the relationship between them and I think that when pilotwings is shown (which will hopefully be tomarow) it will be awesome.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2003, 08:30:07 PM »
I'm not too blowen away by the PSP announcement almost everbody expected them to try it since they started the PS2. But with a release date of 2004 with nothing else it seems kind of emnty.

The two Zelda games are not that great because they are offshoots and at least one of them is being made by Capcom not Nintendo.

I guess we will have to see what the next 3 days holds. And then the investor meeting that Nintendo holds in Japan they will be holding some stuff off for that because they have to please their investors.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2003, 10:27:00 PM »
I don't know about you guys...But I'm more impressed with Halo 2 than anything coming from EAD...Resident Evil 4 and The Twin Snakes look great on the other hand. But still, Nintendo's showing this year is nothing compared to its shows from the past two years.
Even PC has been kicking GCN's butt at E3...Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, etc...

Yeah, so GCN has F-Zero, Mario Kart, Crystal Chronicles, Star Fox, etc...
But nothing on the same level as Metroid Prime or Wind Waker were.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Nintendo Is Lookin Good!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2003, 12:02:08 AM »
Shooting more aliens in another PC-style FPS (that should've stayed on the PC) never caught my interest.  (I prefer to shoot terrorists and radical ultra-nationalists).

And games like Doom III and Half-Life 2 should've come out at least a year ago, given the technological edge PCs still had over our next-gen consoles.  To me, PCs are playing catch-up simply cuz *the developers* have taken so long to produce results.

Who am I kidding?  I want Aria of Sorrow.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.