Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 174983 times)

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #475 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:35 PM »
Jack Tretton is talking(?)/demonstrating(?) Move tonite on GTTV (SpikeTV 12:30am)
http://www.gametrailers.com/images/skyscaper_GTT

What color ball will he use?!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 20, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »
I actually don't find the commercial itself funny, but the concept could've been. This isn't a TV advert is it? Perhaps redone and shown as 2 or 3 different ads it would actually work. I'd hate to admit it, but as annoying as these kevin butler ads are they are pretty humerous; just not this one. This just just doesn't seem to have the same asshole persona as the other ads do, which IMO makes the ad less effective.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 20, 2010, 05:14:46 PM »
Well if Sony's trying to lure Nintendo's customers, I don't know that an asshole telling them why PS3 is better is the most effective way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 20, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
I though it was pretty funny (but you already know that). but it wasn't made as a TV commercial, it was made for a retailer conference or something like that. I have no doubts that it would make a good commercial though, like you said, if they cut it down into 2-3 much shorter 30 second ads.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 20, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »
We all ask how is Move different from the Wiimote (in how Sony presented it), we also ask how is Natal gonna do anything for gaming(seriously, we need buttons... right?), well Sony shows why it's good be the tech in the middle of both.

Move presentation with Dr. Marks on Engadget today:
bittorrent download link: http://www.btghost.com/link/90255599/

Multi-touch/Minority Report

3D movement

Kevin Butler enters the scene

Stretch/flex/contort

3D camera. Technically the Wii should be able to do something like this (in game scenarios), but this has the most gameplay potential of everything I just seen in these gifs.

Youtube version of all the gifs above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz--coTb8h0

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 23, 2010, 10:00:45 PM »
http://www.nintendoeverything.com/35543/

jeez Sony pulling their 10 year old Nintendo is teh kiddie song and dance
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »

Sony's just mad that Nintendo is gonna get all the credit for making 3D gaming mainstream when 95% of HDTV owners are not gonna upgrade their TV's just to play 3D PS3 games.

Nintendo's response to Sony....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 24, 2010, 12:35:14 AM »
To put this in perspective, Michael Pachter, a known idiot who routinely pulls predictions out of his ass, says he wants more information before making a prediction regarding the 3DS. This reeks of desperation on Sony's part, though what are they supposed to say? That they have no hope of ever getting the kind of install base this thing will have in the first year for 3D gaming in the whole life of the PS3? I guess I can't blame them for throwing stones rather than admitting they've lost before the game even started.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 24, 2010, 03:21:13 AM »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 24, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »

Sony's just mad that Nintendo is gonna get all the credit for making 3D gaming mainstream when 95% of HDTV owners are not gonna upgrade their TV's just to play 3D PS3 games.

Nintendo's response to Sony....

Getting people to upgrade from SD to HD has been very slow. I'm sure those who've just made the leap to HD are in no immediate hurry to upgrade to something new.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 24, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
^ That's my point. If I just spent 1-3k on a new big screen HDTV, there is no way that I'm gonna scrap(sell, move or whatever) that TV that works perfectly fine just to go buy an even more expensive TV of the same size (to replace my other relatively new one) just to watch and play 3D movies and video games.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 24, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »

It will be funny to look back at quotes like this a few years from now when the 3DS is outselling the PSP2 3:1.

8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.â€

I have no idea where Sony's research is at right now, but its obviously lost somewhere in la-la land. It is obvious they still have the same dumbasses working there as they did in 2006 when their "research" told them consumers would gladly shell out $600.

But I'm glad they haven't learned from their mistakes, because that means they've sealed their fate in the next generation just as they have in this one, and that's a great thing for the perspective of Nintendo and its fans.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
Didn't Super Mario Bros. 2 take place in Subcon? Subcon...scious.... subconscious... OH MY GAH!

After all these years, Nintendo still has a hard-on for not-so-clever wordplay when naming characters/places in their games. Spirit Tracks was full of that bullsh*t. Facepalm @ Anjean, Lokomo, Steem, etc. It's like Nintendo isn't even trying anymore. Still, I admit that it took me years to figure out Navi = navigator and that's like the most obvious one. /perception fail

But I digress. It doesn't really matter what Sony calls these controllers. It's a parody of Nintendo's innovation and Sony smugly refuses to admit that Nintendo came up with it and that Motion Plus exists so I'm going to keep referring to their motion controller as the Sony dildos or Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 18, 2010, 03:03:54 AM »
I browsed through the last few pages of this thread and holy ****. Especially considering the third party support and Wii being underpowered and blah blah blah. I actually think you could find a thread from 2006 with the EXACT SAME posters, arguments and even wording.

Don't you guys ever get bored? Or at the very least deja vu?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 18, 2010, 01:22:18 PM »
Personally, I find repeating history to be very exciting.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 19, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
What has Sony ever done for the video game industry?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 19, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »

Expanded the industry beyond the hardest of the core gamer and strongly encouraged the growth of new IPs in the Playstation/Playstation 2 (and even now with the PS3) era.  But we've done this little dance before.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:17:41 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 19, 2010, 06:03:48 PM »
That's a good point; most people don't realize that the NES, SNES, and Genesis were only for the hardcore.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #494 on: April 19, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »

Expanded the industry beyond the hardest of the core gamer and strongly encouraged the growth of new IPs in the Playstation/Playstation 2 (and even now with the PS3) era.  But we've done this little dance before.

There wouldn't even be a industry without Nintendo, they revived the industry when it was almost dead. The PlayStation may have helped the continuing expansion, but the NES and SNES were played by plenty of casual people and grew the industry larger than it ever had been.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
Tetris was the Wii Sports of the NES and Game Boy.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 19, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »

There wouldn't even be a industry without Nintendo, they revived the industry when it was almost dead. The PlayStation may have helped the continuing expansion, but the NES and SNES were played by plenty of casual people and grew the industry larger than it ever had been.

When did I ever take away the achievements of Nintendo in reviving the industry?  The question was "what has Sony done for the industry", not "what has Nintendo not done for the industry."

And insanolord, before the PS1 came along gaming was pretty much considered the realm of the ultra-hardcore nerds, if not in reality than in perception.  Sony, though, pushed to market the PS1 beyond that niche with slick marketing; the CD-ROM format (yes, with FMV movies); and low-cost.  Mind you, the PS1 was a technical POS IMO (and was always playing catch-up to the N64 in technical innovations), but you can't deny the mark it made (for the better, IMO).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:26:38 PM by broodwars »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 19, 2010, 06:30:28 PM »
I think the move to 3D gaming was what really drew people in, anyone could have done it, really. Sony just so happens to be the company to do it because they didn't screw things up, and copying and refining the ideas of a company who was busy shooting themselves in the foot.

But hey, that's business I s'pose.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #498 on: April 19, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with you,Broodwars, on Sony making this industry better. From a consumer base I think that the playstation brought in the wrong kind of people. I think because of the playstation it is why we have people fighting amongst themselves and dividing people into different groups. Before the playstation everybody was a gamer. Now there is 2 groups "casual" and "hardcore".

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 19, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
I'm going to have to disagree with you,Broodwars, on Sony making this industry better. From a consumer base I think that the playstation brought in the wrong kind of people. I think because of the playstation it is why we have people fighting amongst themselves and dividing people into different groups. Before the playstation everybody was a gamer. Now there is 2 groups "casual" and "hardcore".

Funny, but I don't remember ever seeing either the terms "casual" or "hardcore" used in reference to gamer subcultures until the Wii released.  The PS1 era was the first time I can remember seeing games specifically labled for different types of gamers, though (the RPG fans, the Sports fans, the shooter fans, etc.).

I'll also have to ask you just what the "right kind of people" to be gamers are, as I have a slight feeling that everyone has their own opinion on the matter and none of us are right.