Author Topic: Wind Waker is the best game ever  (Read 14979 times)

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wind Waker is the best game ever
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2003, 03:37:46 AM »

.i have speant a couple hours alone trying to get 500 hits on the old dude on the island.

No offense nolimit, but if that took you a couple hours you either had a bad strategy or you suck at that game

I would say it this way. Wind Waker is better than OOT in every which way (except the music which is debateble, I just preffered the songs and the sound of the Ocarina).But, I think its pretty fair to say that WW isnt as good as OOT was back then. By that I mean, when Ocarina of Time was released, it was lightages better than ANY game out there, it was just too good to put in words. While Wind Waker probably is the best game to date, its not quite that, but just like in Marios case, you can only go 2D-3D once, and the basic Zelda gameplay was already established in OOT. Its practically impossible to have as much innovation as OOT yet remaining true to the series.
LZ 2005

Offline ResidentEvil

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2003, 08:40:17 AM »
I'm just sitting back here getting a kick out of all of you that, before it's release, proclaimed WW as the greatest of all time without even playing it.  Now that the truth has come out as to this game "falling short" of many people's expectations, you die-hard Zelda fans can just stop trying to put a positive spin on everything.  You come in here and say it is soooo fun and invigorating, but at the back of your mind you're thinking, "Dang, I want the Spaceworld Zelda."  Well, go ahead and replay the game over and over and over again, (for about what, a couple more years?) and still try to think of it as the greatest game ever.  I assure you you will start pissing on WW when the next one comes out

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2003, 09:26:25 AM »
I'm wondering the same thing about some of GoHusker's comments.

GoHusker, exactly what are you talking about when you say interaction? I'm experiencing basically the exact opposite where Ocarina of Time lacked an interactive world and Wind Waker seems so deep and vast. I'm not quite sure how you could get through the game without a lot of interaction with the Rito people (you have to interact with them on more than one occasion to progress through the game). There are also the pirates who comprise a large part of the story. I'm pretty sure you won't forget one of their names. There's a lot more people to work with in Wind Waker and I'm not even covering any side quests. The side quests open up a lot of other missions that involve dealing with people.

[ may contain spoilers ]

Maybe interaction was the wrong word. I guess, to put it bluntly, there wasn't many conversations. You say that you interact with the Rito people a lot throughout the game. I only went to that island twice and the second time I went straight to Meidi. Didn't seem like a lot of interaction to me.

Maybe the interaction isn't what you are feeling is lacking. The ease of the game and fewer dungeons are the apparent problem. To me, the game plays the exact same as OoT but is a different experience since no damage is done (although one of those knuckle knights almost killed me because I was toying around with him instead of trying to finish him off as quickly as possible).

Not only the ease of the enemies (though fighting Iron Knuckles was pretty fun), but the ease of the puzzles in the dungeon. There was only one time I almost went to the internet for help (It took me forever to figure out how to get underneath the fan in the wind temple). To me LTTP wasn't that fun (probably because the first time I played it was for the GBA and I don't really like adventure games on the Game Boy), but anyway the dungeons were a lot harder than they were for OOT, MM, or WW.

I don't know maybe it's my own fault for not enjoying this game to the fullest. I'll admit that I never spent any more time on an island more than I had to. I also got the game expecting too much.  Still, I think Nintendo could've done better. One thing's for sure I'm going to try to keep myself spoiler-free for the next Zelda game to see if that helps.

If any of you are looking for a real good fight that puts Ocarina of Time to shame times ten, go to Outset Island and find the big black pig...

You get into a fight with that thing and you'll be quickly reminded of just how weak and pathetic you are.  

No kidding, I died twice in WW and one of those were at the hands of that evil pig.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2003, 11:43:38 AM »
IMO Gannon in OoT was far too easy, in the WW he wasn't nearly as easy. And I loved what happend in the ending compared to OoT. But thats just what I think.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline AManatee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2003, 01:58:50 PM »
is it just me or is the second quest harder? I mean, the enemies take out more damage!
"Gimme gimme gimme. I need, I need."

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2003, 05:04:35 PM »
OK good someone else caught that. I thought something was a little different when I started to replay it. Even the time your given to do little puzzles is shortend. I just hope the bosses are harder and im sure theres no hope for remixed harder dungeons.

Will the Nintendo Gallery already be opened with pictures I already took already inside?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline WesDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2003, 06:58:13 PM »
I'm putting in my vote for this as best game ever. Never has a story driven me so much to play a game. It really has that epic feel that I think OOT kinda lacked in. Anyways, I was curious about the number of dungeons thing too. I had heard there were only 4, but I counted at least 5 major ones plus Gannon's two different castles.  I thought maybe I could make a great argument for why it was better than OOT here, but I can't. I guess I just actually cared about Link for once, and I'm so glad they left him a kid instead of making some lame grown up Link game. I haven't finished a lot of the side quests yet, but I'm gonna have to lend it to a friend anyways, just so I'll have someone to talk to about how great it was, and because it's causing me to fail out of grad school.

Offline Oogle

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2003, 05:54:06 AM »
If you guys want hard, try getting to the ************ underneath the ************ on Outset Island.

EDIT: Too much spoiler action... sorry.  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2003, 06:38:30 AM »
Damnit you people stop the spoilers.
LZ 2005

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2003, 06:56:09 AM »
damnit! it wast even labled spoiler.....ack damnit
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline MarioFoxZelda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2003, 02:46:12 PM »

In my opinion, it's at least as good as OoT is. I do think time for feelings to set in is needed, but when I feel so passionate about a game when I beat it, my opinions usually don't change. Wind Waker may have been on the easy side, short it was not (not if you play all the sidequests!), but most of all it was so moving- no moment in a videogame can compare when I stepped into Hyrule for the first time, with everything in black and white, monsters frozen in place, the vast stretching country, the temple devoted to Link, all so much better when it all returned to color. I had tears welling up in my eyes then. That alone propelled it to the heights of OoT for me.

Hehe, I completely agree with you 100% and I think this game is 1000 times better then Ocarina of Time... I hope none of you mind me saying this because I know a lot of you guys like it. I never even beat Ocarina of Time because I found it SOOOOOO boring that right after I got old I stoped playing. Even the bonus disk remains collecting dust.

This Zelda game is now my #1 favourite GCN game because it has one of the best stories out of all my games and that is what I like in games. This game is not dull at any point and yes it is a little easy at points but it is still fun to play. And that Damn Old Guy who I have to hit more than 300 times took me a while to beat. Anyway, my point is that to all the people who thought that Celda was going to suck because of its look... you better go out now and get it. I was once like you and I love this game. (Never thought I would hear myself say that about this game). My second favourite game remains to be Eternal Darkness, and then Wave Race. Yes I have Mario, Fox, Metroid, and Smash but this is the most single player fun you can have. And once again this game is not short. Visit every island and help out each of them with their problems and then come back and tell me it's short.

Long live Link, or at least his next counterpart... I can't wait for the next game and I wouldn't mind seeing some SC2 looking graphics next time around the bend just to give the seires some variety. Hey the game coulda looked worse... Link coulda been made of paper.
what

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2003, 10:17:24 PM »
it could look like summoner....half assed.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2003, 04:45:54 AM »
Hey Wind Waker still looks much better than Tales of Phantasia or XIII, atleast he is full 3d. The graphics arent really that cartoonish anyway, many things look uncartoonish and its a great mix.
LZ 2005

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2003, 04:51:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Moonwatcher
Maybe you should replace the words "Best game ever" with My favorite game.
Not only is this more accurate(it is impossible to objectively judge a game "best ever") but less likely to result in a bunch of whiners telling you why you're wrong.

This seems to be the Planet Gamecube (forum) motto.  

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2003, 09:09:02 AM »
its mostly bad stratagy....it takes to long to get 500 hits so i would try puttting together 50 hit combos.....but maybe i exagerated a little when i said it took be a couple hours, but it did take me a while. the game is great, but i cant read the rest of this threa cuz it is loaded with spoilers.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2003, 11:06:47 AM »
it takes long, but its easy, 4hit combos max 8hit combos before he strikes back, then use the shield and to that for a while
its not hard, but boring

Anyway, back on the game, I loved everything so far, but now I have to go collecting Triforce pieces, and that kinda sucks IMO, those collectathons shouldnt have to be done, those should be voluntary sidequest for extra items

I dont know, maybe its also a psychological approach, but thinking of the sheer endless things to do in the game, im kinda not motivated to do so. Im fine with 10 hearts and no
*spoiler*
magic armor

LZ 2005

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2003, 01:41:12 PM »
I finally got it. . . just beat the first dungeon.  Very, very cool game.  Extremely satisfying and awesome in every way.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2003, 03:01:00 PM »
Zelda WW for GoTY!

Definitely the best Zelda game ever, but you can't really say it's best overall unless you've had a chance to play all the other greats out there
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2003, 04:48:59 PM »

Originally posted by: ResidentEvil
I'm just sitting back here getting a kick out of all of you that, before it's release, proclaimed WW as the greatest of all time without even playing it.  Now that the truth has come out as to this game "falling short" of many people's expectations, you die-hard Zelda fans can just stop trying to put a positive spin on everything.  You come in here and say it is soooo fun and invigorating, but at the back of your mind you're thinking, "Dang, I want the Spaceworld Zelda."  Well, go ahead and replay the game over and over and over again, (for about what, a couple more years?) and still try to think of it as the greatest game ever.  I assure you you will start pissing on WW when the next one comes out

ummm... a lot of people thought it went above expectations. and the negative things are just comments made by nitpickers( im one too so no offense). okay, before u go all "man what is this guy talking about! there is a few that hated the game" dont. I know that. I wasnt a diehard zelda fan and this is my second zelda game. and, people who say good comments about this game are not in denial or something. they arent ALL diehard zelda fans. and saying that "ALL people before its released, proclaimed WW as the greatest game ever without playing it" is just not true. dude. seriously. plus u said that "the truth" that it is falling short of peoples expectaitons. I would also like to say that people like to say what is wrong with a game more than what is good about it. just the majority but not all. residentevil, u like to do this a lot. what is ur ratio of messages that say u like something to how much something sucks or something. ok whatever. i think ur an ok guy just too cynical. in terms of writing on forums. ok whatever.  

Offline mojorizin

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2003, 03:36:30 AM »
I was actually dreading the thing coming out due to all the negative vibes over the animation.  I don't think there were as many people loving it sight unseen as hating it.  Much like Metroid Prime, there was a rather large bunch just waiting to pounce on the game.  At least half the reviews I've seen have mentioned the reviewer was either "on the fence" or "totally against" the look of the game going in.  Every review I've read (at least from those I give creedence to) have all came out loving it.

I believe Miyamoto mentioned having 2 additional dungeons he wanted in the game, but couldn't get them completed due to time constraints (WW-Master Quest anyone?).  If those would have made it, it would have quelled the "too easy, too short" group.  Darn shame, that.  Remember playing OOT for days and thinking "I have HOW many more temples left?"

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2003, 04:50:36 AM »
Hey why do you people think this Zelda is too short?
Yes it doesnt have that many temples, but its not short in gameplay, its certainly bigger that Metroid.
LZ 2005

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2003, 08:14:54 AM »
I didnt find it short. I thought it looked awesome and the gameplay and control was spot on.
However I was bored out of my skull playing it. Every thing you did was spelled out for you, that stupid rock telling you exactly what to do, every creature you talk to giving the most obvious of hints.
There was no sense of adventure to it, everything was so dumbed down it wasnt even funny.
This game could have been the greatest, in the end I cant say  I even enjoyed playing it as a result.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2003, 09:40:41 AM »
ok that stone was a pain sometimes, but if you didnt want to much help, why did you ask around so much
i barely got any help the way i played it, and most things the stone told my i figured out before anyway
this game has been great so far, i just gotta assemble the triforce pieces and im marking my charts which is a pain
LZ 2005