Author Topic: Whaaaaaaaat?  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Demonhunter

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« on: March 16, 2003, 03:42:56 AM »
Spoilers inside... whatever

I was just finishing up MQ, so anyway, at the last fight with Ganondorf, you kill him and stuff and he's sitting there choking and suddenly, a big wad of GREEN blood pukes up. Um... what moron at Nintendo found it necesarry to change is blood from red to green? (The original OoT had red blood) THEN when you fight Ganon, the blood that squirts from him is GREEN TOO. Oh so its ok to see blood splattered on the ground in the Shadow Temple, but if you slice a person in the face they give off pussy green blood. Stupid.  Why change it?  

Offline Cashcow

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 07:13:12 AM »
They changed that in the later versions of the N64 OoT as well, along with the Fire Temple music. I guess both were considered offensive in some way or another.
<(0_________o)>

Offline FFantasyFX

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 07:21:24 AM »
Demonhunter:  You may not realize this, but not all of the OoT carts for the N64 had Gannon with red blood.  The first batch had the red blood, but somewhere down the line Nintendo caught flack for including it, so they changed it to green.  So, if you bought the N64 OoT at a later date, you may have gotten a version with green blood.  So, this is not just a new development for the GC version.

Frankly, I was surprised that the ESRB let the red blood go in the first place (or maybe nobody at the ESRB actually played the game all the way through while they were reviewing it, wouldn't surprise me).  I'm sure some uptight parents/watchdog groups howled and complained, and rather than have Zelda slapped with a Teen rating for such a stupid thing, Nintendo just decided to change the color of the blood.

Offline Demonhunter

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2003, 08:02:17 AM »
All I can say is, thats not right..... not right at all. How come the "Under the Well" level has blood smeared on the floor, as well as the Shadow Temple? Unless that red stuff is ketchup.

Hey wait what? Fire temple music? What did it have satanic messages in it or something? I haven't heard it in a looong time, it seems its just ambient background music.  

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 08:56:55 AM »
The original gold cartridge had red blood along with goron's singing Islamic chants in the Fire Temple music. The took out the cool-sounding chants (i'm sure most people agree) because they wanted the game to not have any religious things in it...I guess Koji Kondo didn't know it was religious (??..).

The later gray cartridges had green blood.

And ganon wasn't the only one who had blood...Certain enemies would spurt blood if you hit them with your sword. Like gold skulltulas, tektites, etc. Go try it...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2003, 09:55:28 AM »
Some enemies also had blue blood, too- anwyay, I wouldn't get worked up. I was kinda surprised Ganondorf caughed up ANY blood since it's so unlike Nintendo.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Demonhunter

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2003, 01:46:36 PM »
I would have rathered no blood than green blood for Ganondorf.  About the Goron chants, were they ISLAMIC or did they just SOUND islamic. If they just sounded islamic then thats kinda dumb to take them out.  

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2003, 01:57:22 PM »
Just to clarify not ALL gray cartridges had green blood. I have a gray one at it has the chants and the red blood.  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2003, 03:17:25 PM »
Would you guys just relax?  You're splitting hairs about changes that were made to the game SEVERAL YEARS AGO ...
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Joey

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2003, 03:37:20 PM »

The later gray cartridges had green blood.

Some of the grey cartridges did have red blood in them. I know this because it is the case for the grey cartridge I own.

About the Goron chants, were they ISLAMIC or did they just SOUND islamic. If they just sounded islamic then thats kinda dumb to take them out.

I think there is some debate on that subject.  

Offline Cashcow

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2003, 03:56:52 PM »

Originally posted by: Demonhunter
I would have rathered no blood than green blood for Ganondorf.  About the Goron chants, were they ISLAMIC or did they just SOUND islamic. If they just sounded islamic then thats kinda dumb to take them out.

Apparently the music was very similar to some holy Islamic chant. Therefore, it was considered offensive, and was removed in later versions.

<(0_________o)>

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2003, 04:32:17 PM »
Well all the people in my family are Muslim (I don't believe in any sort of religion crap, no offense..) so if someone posted an MP3 I could probably identify if it was Islamic or not. From what I've heard it's definately in Arabic but they just might have been singing. I heard they say Allah akbar which means praise God pretty much...Of course we live in the Atlanta suburbs and my parents aren't exactly very religious (as in, they are too lazy to do anything) so if their is a true Muslim here he could verify...(I know their is because I know this kid here who lives close by but I don't know his username...).

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2003, 12:30:05 PM »
I always wondered how OoT got away with an E rating.  I mean, yeah, it's nice and cute for the first three dungeons... but the Shadow Temple had skulls on the walls everywhere, the Well had blood smeered on rocks, and both had incredibly freaky blood-stained wooden posts (as if for some human sacrifice or something).  Not to mention all those guillotines, and Ganon's blood at the end, too.  Very freaky.  I think it should've got a T rating.  Luckily, my cartridge was one red-blooded ones (even though it was grey...).

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Whaaaaaaaat?
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2003, 02:46:05 PM »
Well the ESRB is much more strict nowadays. If SSBM got a T...(and Star fox), then Ocarina of Time sure as heck would have at least gotten a T. So either they weren't as strict back then, which is true, they didn't play the game enough, which may be true, or all of the above...

They should have re-rated Master Quest. I'm sure the bonus disc would get a T. That game is far darker than SFA and Smash Bros. combined. Getting a T wouldn't hurt young people, as it comes with a "cartoony" game and anyone can buy a T rated game anyway. And it certainly would help make the zelda series seem more "mature" for xbox naysayers...Really, that's all some people understand. If they would just turn the box over and see "Teen - Blood, Violence" instead of "Everyone - Violence" (zelda never gets "mild" for some reason...I guess ESRB at least noticed it was more violent than SFA and smash bros...sort of) I'm sure we'd have less people thinking zelda is for kids.