Author Topic: Wind Waker Commercial  (Read 7778 times)

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« on: February 23, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »
FInally advanced advertising, twice tonight, on 2 different channels Nintendo has a commercial running for Zelda. Not a bad commercial, lots of game footage and they even tell you about the pre-order deal. Everyone who yapped about the lack of advertising, well good call, but now the ads have begun flowing and those who did not recognize the dopeness that is Gamecube, maybe they will now.
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline Cerberus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 02:40:03 PM »
A mod needs to move this to the Hylian Legends part, where it belongs.
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline Samwise Gamgee

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 05:32:31 PM »
no it doesnt, it has to do with nintendo's advertising!

but ya, i work at a movie theater and we played the wrestling payperview in there! during the preshow, they showed the zelda commercial...... but wen the game footage was shown, a bunch of ppl in the theater started laughin!!

i said it b4 and i'll say it again, i think zelda will flop state side!!!
"I made a promise! A promis; Don't you leave him Samewise Gamgee, and i don't mean to, i don't mean to!"

Offline Mingesium

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 05:39:55 PM »
there are threads that already talk about Nintendo's advertising. they even talk about the Zelda commercial.

Good Marketing, Nintendo

Offline Grimlock

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 09:21:34 PM »

i said it b4 and i'll say it again, i think zelda will flop state side!!!

What an ignorant, fanboyish statement (to say nothing of your atrocious spelling and capitalization).

Since you've obviously been living in a cave the past few weeks, I'll inform you of what's been going on concerning Zelda.  The Wind Waker sold over 250,000 copies BEFORE the official pre-order campaign started last week.  Heck, we're still an entire month shy of the release as of now!  This game will most likely be Nintendo's biggest GC seller to date, and will probably top 1 million copies in North America before it's all said and done.

Also, Famitsu gave it the fourth perfect score (40/40) in the history of the magazine, and it was EGM's Game of the Month in the latest issue, garnering two 10s and a 9.5.

One more thing--perhaps you should wait until you play through the game before making such rash, immature judgments, and maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't worry about what others think.

I sincerely hope I've been successful at snapping you back into reality.
Why you call me, Grimlock, stupid?  Me not stupid!

--from the Transformers G1 episode "Grimlock's New Brain", where he gets really smart and creates the Technobots

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 09:46:12 PM »
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 10:16:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen two different versions of the commercial. One with an old guy doing the narraration, and one with Zelda (or whoever the young girl is supposed to be) doing the narraration.

And to the guy who said this thread should be moved to the Zelda Board, you should read the "Let the Mods do their jobs" thread in the Forum Announcements Board.

Oh wait. I'm doing the same thing. Now I'm gonna have to go and read that thread again now too. See what you started!
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2003, 10:53:44 PM »

Also, Famitsu gave it the fourth perfect score (40/40) in the history of the magazine, and it was EGM's Game of the Month in the latest issue, garnering two 10s and a 9.5.

And "GMR", an EB-exclusive magazine made by the guys who make EGM, said that Zelda WW was the 18th most exciting game coming out this year, only behind Halo 2, Doom 3, Soul Calibur 2, Xenosaga, Deus Ex 2, Fable, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, Starcraft:Ghost, Unreal 2, Final Fantasy XI, Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles, Psychonauts, Final Fantasy X-2, NBA Street Vol 2, and B.C.

And they were wondering how they managed to get flamed after only their first issue...
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2003, 10:55:33 PM »
I must have seen the commercial for this game almost every commercial break during the "Surreal Life" marathon tonight. I was flipping back and forth between that and the Grammys. I think that the game footage was good, except for the part with him flying with the leaf. Other than that the scenes had action in them. I'm sure the yells and screams they picked helped to catch people's attention while it was running too.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Sion441

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2003, 02:50:58 AM »
I've seen it two or three times now, it's pretty good.

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2003, 06:43:34 AM »

What an ignorant, fanboyish statement (to say nothing of your atrocious spelling and capitalization).

Since you've obviously been living in a cave the past few weeks, I'll inform you of what's been going on concerning Zelda. The Wind Waker sold over 250,000 copies BEFORE the official pre-order campaign started last week. Heck, we're still an entire month shy of the release as of now! This game will most likely be Nintendo's biggest GC seller to date, and will probably top 1 million copies in North America before it's all said and done.

One more thing--perhaps you should wait until you play through the game before making such rash, immature judgments, and maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't worry about what others think.

I sincerely hope I've been successful at snapping you back into reality.

Interesting post coming from someone who's telling another person that they "maybe, just maybe... shouldn't worry about what others think."

You gave a lot of scores from gaming magazines, but do you honestly think the casual gamer gives a flip about what some gaming magazine says? The answer is no, they don't.

These casual gamers (the ones he's talking about in the movie theater) more than likely see a cartoonish Link with a bowling ball-sized head running around in a very brightly colored world. I wish these people would just give it a try and I'm sure they would enjoy it, but the fact that they think the game looks kiddy because of the graphics will cause that to never happen.

I think the preorder Master Quest deal is helping sales tremendously, but on the other hand the toon shading graphics will turn a lot of people off who would've otherwise bought the game.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2003, 07:00:12 AM »
"but do you honestly think the casual gamer gives a flip about what some gaming magazine says?"

YES! You give casual gamers a bit too much credit- since they don't really know too much about videogames, they'll believe almost anything they read or hear. If a magazine says a game sucks, said casual gamer probably won't even give it a second thought. We as gamers know that reviews are extremely objective and we may completely disagree with them. Casual gamers, at least most of them, DON'T realize that. Not to say they're stupid, just ignorant (and if anyone thinks the two words are synonomous, then you ARE stupid). Even hardcore gamers get caught up in judging things before they even experience them- a good friend of mine and a HUGE Zelda fan absolutely refuses to even play Wind Waker. He says it looks "g a y" (they blocked the word) and crappy- I persuaded him to play the demo, but he dropepd the controller after literally 7 seconds of playing and said it was dumb (even though he LOVED Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, which Wind Waker plays almost exactly like). People out there are like sheep- they'll follow whatever takes enough initiative to lead them and takes a hard shake to cut them loose.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline GoHuskers

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2003, 12:33:22 PM »
Good point and I probably am giving them too much credit, but people like the one Samwise described are probably too ignorant to try WW out because of its graphics regardless how many perfect 10's it gets. Speaking of that it seems reviewers now-adays are giving away way too many 10's and perfect scores. NP got rid of their 0.0-10.0 scale (which was lightyears better than their current system) in favor of some stupid star scale. Now any hyped-up game gets a perfect 5 star rating all across the board. That's part of the reason I never think twice about what scores a game got from a reviewer.

Offline Windwaker

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2003, 01:11:37 PM »
Well, lets see, Famitsu has only given out (((((   4    )))))) perfect scores, so I don't know what you mean that all of the games get high or perfect scores.  By the way: Zelda OoT was one of the other games that got a perfect score from Famitsu.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

He's walked to where no man can go.

Windwalker  

Offline rodtod

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2003, 01:23:39 PM »
nice screename, Windwaker

I don't know if WW will sell better than OoT. But then again, has the Gamecube sold more units than the N64 (from system launch to release of that system's first Zelda game)?
will the real rodtod please stand up, please stand up, please stand u-[SMACK!]

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2003, 02:48:45 PM »
Famitsu's 4 perfect scores were given to Ocarina of Time, Vagrant Story, Soul Calibur, and Wind Waker. I'd say that's pretty stringent.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2003, 09:32:38 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix
I'm pretty sure I've seen two different versions of the commercial. One with an old guy doing the narraration, and one with Zelda (or whoever the young girl is supposed to be) doing the narraration.

And to the guy who said this thread should be moved to the Zelda Board, you should read the "Let the Mods do their jobs" thread in the Forum Announcements Board.

Oh wait. I'm doing the same thing. Now I'm gonna have to go and read that thread again now too. See what you started!

The young girl that does the narration in one of them is Link's sister, Aryll. Oh and I never read that announcement about "Let the mods do their jobs," till now since you told me. Oh well, now I know.
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2003, 09:50:06 AM »
Actually it is Zelda. It's not Link's sister since you have to save her only in the very very beginning of the game. Not to mention the girl talks about the legend being handed down by the Royal Family and then if I'm not mistaken it fades out and says Zelda.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2003, 12:08:33 PM »
Did it ever occur to anyone that Wind Waker is a pretty funny game to watch? I don't think people in a theatre would laugh at something they found disgusting or revolting. Odds are, people were watching the more emotionally animated Link and found him to be amusing to watch. I don't take it as being negative at all.

The game has sold more than 250,000 copies and we're still a month away from its debut. I wouldn't call that flopping state side. I think people are going to be drawn to this game. It has a different kind of appeal that's hard to overlook.

I find myself smiling insanely while watching the game footage. I believe that to be its intention. I can't help but find myself won over by the art style and the presentation of it.  

Offline Sean

• View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2003, 07:37:58 PM »
GoHusker and Samwise, as for Zelda flopping stateside because of ignorance, 250,000 preorders is evidence AGAINST THIS.  So, it's a much more informed and educated response to the current Zelda situation to say that it seems like it WILL DO WELL.  You have to say this since it's already DOING WELL.  You see?  It's just simple logic.  The thing about people getting turned off to the "look" of Zelda is yesterday's news.  For a game that people think will be ignored, it sure is doing well, and was doing well 2 months before it was even released.

It's time to drop a little of the [not entirely undue] cynicism and look at the black and white, bold-faced facts.  Obviously, I realize most people who are saying all this WANT Zelda to do well, but they think it won't.  Cheer up because it already is.

And GoHusker, as for point systems, I relish any magazine that forces you to pay attention to the WORDS of their reviews and shy away from quick glances and rash judgments based on ANY SCORE SYSTEM.  I refuse to believe that any but the greatest of geniuses can divine a difference between a 9.9 and 10 game.  All the other people who say they can are posers.  That's just my crazy opinion, but I think if you REALLY think about that, it'll make sense.

The days of score systems should die away, but they won't.  We need information now now now and quick quick quick.  Example: Any film by Michael Bay whose motto should be, "Let's see how many times we can edit per second."  I'm always astounded that his movies don't just swirl into a nonsensical blur from the rapid-fire moving pictures.  Luckily for him, he skips the blur, but sadly he holds the nonsense dear.  That applies to so many things it's not even funny.  
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2003, 02:53:14 AM »
I want to download the commercial! I haven't seen it on TV yet and want to see it. Where can I download???

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2003, 10:22:41 AM »
Click here for the commercial.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Wind Waker Commercial
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2003, 07:47:06 AM »
Actually I didn't download it, but I finally saw it the other night during "Without a Trace" on CBS. It was very cool, pretty much the same as the trailer that had been on the site for several months now. It should be very effective. Except I don't recall seeing anything about the preorder deal. Maybe that was cuz my dad muted the TV at the end (I made him unmute it so I could watch the ad)