Author Topic: Iwata Outlines Ideas for DS's Wireless Functions  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Iwata Outlines Ideas for DS's Wireless Functions
« on: October 07, 2004, 08:50:42 PM »
Single-card multiplayer and the possibility of demo games and interactive movie content.

During his speech yesterday in Japan, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata spoke about several concepts of the wireless functionality of the DS.

He began by restating the DS's capability of playing multiplayer games with only a single game card:

"The DS's wireless connection isn't just a substitute for the link cable that was used on the Game Boy. The DS has wireless download capability, which allows it to receive a program and to execute it. With it, people can play games together using only one cartridge."

We've known about this feature for some time now, but Iwata also mentioned that the same technology could be utilized in other creative ways:

"Although this won't be available at launch, we're thinking of using the wireless download function to change the way in which people try out upcoming games at retail outlets.... We're thinking of a system where people can download a demo program, with a time or a usage limit, to their own DS. We hope that this system will allow new potential hits to be recognized by everyone, and that it will help to buck the trend where only sequels are hitting the sales charts."

Following up on Yamauchi's recent comments that Nintendo should begin an animation studio, Iwata confirmed that the company is considering the idea, but that it is too early to give any more details on the subject.  Instead, he segued into introducing the concept of tying downloadable DS content into movie theaters (I suspect you'd need to keep the volume down):  

"On a related subject, we're planning [to] try integrating the DS with movie theaters. By using the system's wireless functionality, users that bring their DS and GBA Pokémon cartridge to designated theaters will be able to download game data that will be distributed during certain scenes of the next Pokémon movie. In one scene where the main characters meet a new Pokémon, that character's data will be sent to their cartridges. This will be the first time such a distribution scheme has been used anywhere in the world."

And finally, the example he uses for this idea is none other than a GBA game.  We can only conclude that this means wireless GBA games are also compatible with the Nintendo DS's wireless technology, which may have something to do with why the GBA wireless adapter only works with games programmed for it.

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata Outlines Ideas for DS's Wireless Functions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 07:34:55 AM »
No online play mentioned.  Gee no surprise there.

That movie idea is weird.  I don't want a bunch of idiots playing their DS during a movie.  Now realistically I'm not going to see Pokemon in the theatre so it probably won't affect me directly.  Still I don't like anything that teaches kids that making noise during a movie is acceptable.  The bad habits they pick up during Pokemon may carry over to Harry Potter or some other "kids movie" I do want to see.  I have enough problems with stupid brats while watching those films as it is.

The downloadable demo idea is pretty cool... in theory.  The only problem is I like to KEEP demos.  My interest in videogames goes beyond just living for the moment.  I like collecting stuff too.  If the demo is lost when I turn off my system or times out at some point it's gone forever.  So if Nintendo changed something that was originally in the demo or cancelled a game that had a demo for it we can't keep that.  It's gone forever.  Realistically though I don't expect them to give us blank cartridges or anything to save stuff to since that would be a real piracy issue.  It's just kind of a bummer.

Actually piracy might be a problem period because of the wireless stuff.  If someone finds a way to save the DS memory you could potentially steal a complete game if you downloaded it from another player for multiplayer.  With wireless transmissions you could find a way to just grab this stuff out of the air.  That would solve my inability to keep demos but boy would that be misused.  I could see an official third party product being released to save game states that could be hacked for piracy.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 07:55:49 AM »
you have to complain about everything, dont you? ¬_¬

I was thinking this was really a good idea until you point out as much flaws as you could about it... I think you like to ruin everyone's excitement about things....
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline animex

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Iwata Outlines Ideas for DS's Wireless Functions
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 09:43:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
No online play mentioned.  Gee no surprise there.

That movie idea is weird.  I don't want a bunch of idiots playing their DS during a movie.  Now realistically I'm not going to see Pokemon in the theatre so it probably won't affect me directly.  Still I don't like anything that teaches kids that making noise during a movie is acceptable.  The bad habits they pick up during Pokemon may carry over to Harry Potter or some other "kids movie" I do want to see.  I have enough problems with stupid brats while watching those films as it is.

The downloadable demo idea is pretty cool... in theory.  The only problem is I like to KEEP demos.  My interest in videogames goes beyond just living for the moment.  I like collecting stuff too.  If the demo is lost when I turn off my system or times out at some point it's gone forever.  So if Nintendo changed something that was originally in the demo or cancelled a game that had a demo for it we can't keep that.  It's gone forever.  Realistically though I don't expect them to give us blank cartridges or anything to save stuff to since that would be a real piracy issue.  It's just kind of a bummer.

Actually piracy might be a problem period because of the wireless stuff.  If someone finds a way to save the DS memory you could potentially steal a complete game if you downloaded it from another player for multiplayer.  With wireless transmissions you could find a way to just grab this stuff out of the air.  That would solve my inability to keep demos but boy would that be misused.  I could see an official third party product being released to save game states that could be hacked for piracy.

STFU!

http://SONY.PS(hit)2.PS(hit)P.MICROSOCKS.G(ay)BOX.HA(b)LO.HA(b)LO2.BILL.G(ay)TES

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 09:46:36 AM »
Ian Sane:

I don't know about the movie idea, but it does show that Nintendo is thinking out of the box.  It shows that Nintendo is trying to find the best location to give new data and such.  For Pokemon a Pokemon movie is perfect.  It ensures Nintendo makes money on the movie, and it gives you a centralize area for people to download a new character that everyone will know about.  Wierd, but cool.

The Demos.  I love this idea.  Yes, I know some would like to keep the demo...but give 3rd party hardware creators time.  They will develop a way for you to save the demo on your computer harddrive and upload it again.  Just wait.

The best idea about the demo is you can potentially try every game in the store before you buy a game and see if you like it.  No more buying a game you aren't sure about.  You played the demo and you were able to experience the game for free before you bought it.  This is a great idea.  I don't care if I lose the demo if I turn the unit off.  This demo thing means I won't have to buy another dud game again.  

I wonder if Nintendo could supply large enough save memory for you to save up to 10 additional bonus tracks for games and such later on after you purchase a game.  That would rule.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 11:17:47 AM »

The downloadable demo idea is pretty cool... in theory.  The only problem is I like to KEEP demos.  My interest in videogames goes beyond just living for the moment.  I like collecting stuff too.  If the demo is lost when I turn off my system or times out at some point it's gone forever.

Yes, you could look at it like that.  I see this as renting a game, withouth actually renting.  No more having to pay to try the game for 2 days, I can now play a game I'm interested in, but not yet sold on, for free.  I really like this idea.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 12:04:01 PM »
I seem to vaguely remember something where someone was talking about the idea of someone watching TV with their Game Boy and stuff happening on the TV show could effect stuff happening in their game...  But I could just be making this up...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 04:00:52 PM »

While, i agree with you on the demos are cool to keep, i thought Iwata meant this as instead of demo kiosks at stores, not take home demo discs. Speaking of take home demos, when the last time you got to keep a GBA demo anyway?

"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 02:27:49 AM »
Iwata's pwwwwwoooud of wireless functions.