Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1157426 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)
« Reply #2950 on: December 06, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »
Isn't Captain Marvel supposed to take place in the past?  That'd probably be a good way to sneak them into the continuity.

Also, maybe going through the whole Mutant Messiah saga could help.  There only need to be so many mutants for "The X-Men exist, but are in hiding" to loosely work.  But you go through the events of Messiah Complex and AvX (more crossover goodness) and by the end of it you have a reason for the MCU to be full of mutants.

Honestly, I think they're best separated.  Some things just make more sense in both Avengers and X-Men continuity if one group isn't around.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: December 06, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »
Pretty sure the Reality Stone and Time Stone can make X-Men in the MCU make sense. Multiverse, etc.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: December 06, 2017, 05:53:14 PM »
Hopefully Disney won't have a problem with Deadpool since this deal opens the door to a million sequels to that series.  Seriously, with Deadpool now having access to the rest of the Marvel universe there's so much potential.  They don't even need to come up with a major excuses, just do what they did in the first Deadpool where he even jokes about the 2 different timelines in the X-Men film being confusing to understand, except now he's joking about being suddenly being part of the MCU.

I mean Disney does love money and as long as Deadpool 2 makes a **** ton like the original, I don't think they would try to stop or censor a 3rd Deadpool.  Of course a censored Deadpool could have the potential to be pretty hilarious as well since I'd imagine they get pretty creative in how for they can push the censors and have Deadpool ranting about Disney messing with him and said censoring going on around.

Plus it would give Marvel an excuse to find a place to through in their lessor known or joke characters.  Holy ****, they can now have an excuse to put Squirrel Girl and the Great Lake Avengers on film since they could fit right in with Deadpool.  Come on Disney, the money will just print itself.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: December 07, 2017, 02:22:16 AM »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:46:27 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2954 on: December 07, 2017, 03:59:50 AM »
Actually, I don't think Deadpool has to be rated R to be funny or good.  It just needs to keep its edge in other ways.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: December 07, 2017, 08:52:39 AM »
The conundrum with PG-13 Deadpool is that the humor would probably benefit by being more clever to get around the ratings board, but the action would suffer. Deadpool isn’t slicing a dude’s head off and kicking said head into another dude’s face. I’m not opposed to coarse language though I found it distracting in Deadpool. It felt like the writers were trying sooooo hard to be vulgar, similar to a 11 year old edgelord on Xbox Live who discovered the word “****,” various racial slurs, and has apparently had sex with everyone’s mom. If they cut the blood, they may be able to get away with the sheer amount of dismembering appropriate for a character like Deadpool. I think going full R is probably the better choice though.

Anyway, I read an article about a month ago that the entire reason Fox is even entertaining this sale is so they have the money to go after Time Warner should the AT&T deal fall through. This would give Fox a hold of CNN. I’ll hold back from going into more detail about why that potentially bad news bears for the sake of avoiding politics. I will say, if that’s true, I don’t think getting Dr. Doom into the MCU is worth it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: December 07, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »
PG-13 is destroyer of movies and shouldn't be invoked even ironically. It is absolutely the worse thing to have ever come out of Hollywood. Second is the increasing China pandering which no one likes.

Your description of Deadpool is who Deadpool is. There is no level of cleverness that would work around PG-13 as it has to be bloody, vulgar and offensive. Imagine excellent R rated movies cut down to PG-13, the soul be lost and the audience with it. It's the perfect boardroom focus group tool of destruction.

I am worried about Disney increasing ownership of culture as they have no been good custodians and have appropriated work of others without credit and have exploited copyright to basically "Forever". It means public domain is effectively dead. The increasing homogenisation is making movies worse as they lean on the Brand rather than it being a good movie.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: December 07, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »
Your description of Deadpool is who Deadpool is. There is no level of cleverness that would work around PG-13 as it has to be bloody, vulgar and offensive.
1. As far as the writing, yes, there is. It’d revolve around breaking the fourth wall. Deadpool would know he’s in a PG-13 movie. My description was only referring to dialog. A PG-13 rating would force the writers to be more careful with their writing because it doesn’t seem like they’re disciplined enough to do so themselves. More importantly...
2. I also said “full R is probably the better choice though” so I actually agree with you. Deadpool’s appearance on Disney XD’s Ultimate Spider-Man worked for like an episode so toning him down isn’t impossible however I don’t think it can work for a whole Deadpool led movie. The more important part of the source material is Deadpool being a mercenary (e.g. brutally murdering fools) and surviving all manner of impalements due to his healing factor. To me, that’s the main reason they’d need the hard R to do Deadpool’s character justice, not lazy edgelord writing like “****! ****! **** ****!” which is an actual line from the movie that just didn’t do it for me. I’m not saying cut out all cursing, just be better about it. When Deadpool said, “Who fucking cares?” before killing Ajax, that works. They can write coarse language into the script without it coming off as “Hooray, we have an R rating! ****, ****, ****, ****, fuckity-****, your mother is a whore, ****.” I don’t think that’s unreasonable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:20:47 AM by Adrock »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: December 07, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
Actually, I don't think Deadpool has to be rated R to be funny or good.  It just needs to keep its edge in other ways.

I disagree.  I think the core of the first Deadpool movie is rooted in its crass and juvenile nature.  Could they make a PG-13 Deadpool and it still be a decent movie?  I suppose so, in the same way they could have done a PG-13 Logan movie. 

But I think those movies being allowed to be not intended for the widest audience and going for it all the way is what really makes them so good, and makes them also a good bit of diversity in comic book movie content instead of being an also-ran.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: December 07, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
I personally think we're over thinking the whole thing about bringing X-Men into the Marvel universe.  I don't think it needs a story or long convoluted explanation, or even an explanation at all.  Just do it.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter why the X-Men have never made appearances before.  We're at an avengers movie for the fireworks and awesomeness.  Not a long delicately crafted narative about the meaning of life.

Have Wolverine turn up on Scott's super bike in a variant of the yellow and blue in the climax of Avengers 4 to lay some epic smackdown.  There will be that much excitement that noone but the most picky of viewers is going to give the slightest damn about where they've been or why.  Even better, don't tell anyone he's coming.  No announcement or trailer reveal.  Just have it happen.   

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2960 on: December 07, 2017, 08:30:37 PM »
True Shorty True.  But having a good story can work.  Like you could easy have had been on a deep space research assignment while most of the MCU history was taking place.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2961 on: December 07, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »
Setup clues with placing building names in the background now.  Then have Marvel's first family come back to a devastated world that needs their fame and success.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2962 on: December 07, 2017, 08:37:40 PM »
Xmen you can skip the origin story and go straight to a Avengers vs Xmen story.  Use the Sikovia Accords as the catalyst built around the new world fear of powers after the Thanos invasion. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2963 on: December 07, 2017, 08:41:39 PM »
Secret Wars storyline could be used as a way to unify worlds as well. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2964 on: December 07, 2017, 08:42:41 PM »
Secret Wars storyline could be used as a way to unify worlds as well. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: December 07, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2966 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
Sorry.  On a bus...and my cell phone sucks.  But that Meme rocks.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:03 PM »
Deadpool being in a PG-13 movie and breaking the fourth wall would be him going "****! ****! **** ****!" which would make it an R. Deadpool does not care about your rating. Censoring him would get you 90 minutes of beeps while he stands there doing nothing.

I like that he is so vaguer, crass, unrefined. Not having a clever quip all the time in a movie is unique and clever right now, so ****! ****! **** ****!****! ****! **** ****!****! ****! **** ****! away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: December 07, 2017, 11:31:10 PM »
Did we watch the same movie? Deadpool is full of clever quips. It’s just also filled with needless profanity. Deadpool can still be crass and unrefined with better writing.

I’d imagine Deadpool breaking the fourth wall in a PG-13 movie would involve him about to (and struggling not to) do rated R things and acknowledging that he can’t for all the kids watching, maybe a one-off scene wearing a Ned Flanders sweater or something. It’d work for a gag in an Avengers movie. Comedy is difficult. They’d just have to tread a fine line to prevent ruining the joke.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:32 PM »
Not having a clever quip all the time

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:02 AM »
No, I got it. Deadpool is a movie full of clever quips that liberally intermingles a bunch of “fucks” in the dialog because Fox approved an R rating. I just don’t think forced, edgelord profanity is unique or clever. It’s bad writing (in a movie with otherwise decent writing) and a poor attempt at humor (in a movie with great humor when it doesn’t try so hard).

Sorry for further derailing your detailed thread, BlackNMild.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2971 on: December 08, 2017, 04:01:39 AM »
See I think the best most unique comedies use the art of saying something without saying it.  Innuendo is lost when you can just say it or show it.  Most good comedians agree.  And for violence that is harder to get around...but careful edits and you can show very little but show so much more.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: December 08, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
No, I got it. Deadpool is a movie full of clever quips that liberally intermingles a bunch of “fucks” in the dialog because Fox approved an R rating. I just don’t think forced, edgelord profanity is unique or clever. It’s bad writing (in a movie with otherwise decent writing) and a poor attempt at humor (in a movie with great humor when it doesn’t try so hard).

Sorry for further derailing your detailed thread, BlackNMild.

I generally agree with your opinion that profanity liberally tossed around is not humor, and can sometimes soil humor.  But given that Wade was pretty crass prior to becoming Deadpool and then basically becomes an unhinged lunatic, I don't see how it isn't a natural fit in this instance.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: December 08, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
I generally agree with your opinion that profanity liberally tossed around is not humor, and can sometimes soil humor.  But given that Wade was pretty crass prior to becoming Deadpool and then basically becomes an unhinged lunatic, I don't see how it isn't a natural fit in this instance.
I don’t know if I’m just not explaining myself well enough. I don’t have any inherent issues with something, particularly Deadpool, being crass and vulgar. He shoots a guy and says, “Cumshot!” which I think works for the character. There comes a point where there’s so much of it that it feels forced as if the writers or Ryan Reynolds heaped on more profanity because they could, and it became distracting to me. I didn’t think it played well on screen, and I really don’t mean to argue or try to convince anyone otherwise. I mean, I laughed at first, but then it kept going and I didn’t think it was funny anymore. It took away from the moments when profanity and crassness does work. Weasel describing how ugly Wade Wilson looks was a great and legitimately funny exchange albeit mostly improv. Other times, I rolled my eyes and thought, “Cool, you got an R rating. I get it.”
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:05:57 AM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2974 on: December 08, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
I felt that way about Logan.  It seemed like they just threw around the f-word for no fucking reason.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.