Author Topic: Blaster Master NES Sequel Coming to Virtual Console  (Read 14055 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Blaster Master NES Sequel Coming to Virtual Console
« on: January 01, 1970, 03:00:00 AM »
The rare PlayChoice-10 arcade release is coming to Virtual Console at the end of April.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22834

Sunsoft announced today that Blaster Master: Destination Fred, a rare arcade-only sequel to the NES classic Blaster Master, will be releasing on Virtual Console on April 26.    

Blaster Master: Destination Fred was originally released as an arcade-only title for the Nintendo PlayChoice-10, a stand-up arcade cabinet released by Nintendo in 1986 that allowed arcade gamers to choose from a pre-programmed selection of 10 NES games.  Destination Fred was a late test release on the system, appearing only briefly in select locations around Los Angeles, California in 1989/1990.  According to Victor Ireland there were only nine cartridges of the game in existence, all of them in storage at the Sunsoft Japan offices.    

The sequel has Jason and his tank "Sophia" being micronized and injected into Fred, the pet frog rescued in the original game.  The goal is to eliminate microbots that have been injected into Fred before they kill him.    

Blaster Master: Destination Fred will cost 500 Wii Points.    

BLASTER MASTER™:  DESTINATION FRED COMING TO WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE    

Redding, CA –  April 1, 2010 – Sunsoft, a division of SUNCORPORATION  (JASDAQ: 6736), has today announced that Blaster Master™:Destination Fred will be released for the Wii Virtual Console on April 26th.    

Originally created for the Nintendo PlayChoice-10 arcade system, and tested in only a few locations in and around Los Angeles, CA during 1989/1990, Destination Fred is a continuation of the story started in the original Blaster Master™, and a proper sequel to the beloved NES classic.  The game has been lost to the market since the original test market timeframe, and was never released for the home NES. "I was blown away when I saw these", said Victor Ireland about the PlayChoice-10 cartridges stored away at Sunsoft Japan's office. He then continued, "When I was going through boxes of stored code, promotional items, and ROMS to see what we had on hand to release for the US Virtual Console market, finding these nine completely unknown cartridges literally stunned me. I knew it had to be put up on the Virtual Console as fast as we could make it happen."    

The game centers on Fred, Jason's pet frog that was rescued in the original Blaster Master™ game. The Plutonium Boss intended to inject microbots into Fred and Jason so they would be destroyed even if Jason defeated him, but he only managed to inject Fred.  After the opening story, the game begins with Jason and Sophia being miniaturized and injected into Fred to seek out and destroy the microbots and the diabolical structures they are creating inside Fred that will soon prove fatal.  "It's a pretty clear video game spin on Fantastic Voyage kind of adventure.", Ireland stated.    

Kiharu Yoshida, President of SUNCORPORATION added, "I am happy that we can offer such a satisfying game to fans in the US. Perhaps now this will not seem too hard to complete. Please enjoy it."    

The lost treasure of Sunsoft's archive, Blaster Master™:Destination Fred will be released for the Wii Virtual Console on April 26th for a completely reasonable 500 Wii points.

Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
Re: Blaster Master NES Sequel Coming to Virtual Console
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I'm suspicious of any news on April 1st.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:31 PM »
It is exactly what Vic Ireland said he was gonna do; release the back catalog of Sunsoft and depending on the reception of the first VC release (Blaster Master) they might even release the sequels including Rare games that most of us probably have never played before.

So while I would be skeptical of anything "announced" today, it is right in line with what he said he was gonna be doing.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
I have never EVER heard of this and can't find any info about it.  Sounds like April Fool's stuff.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
I have never EVER heard of this and can't find any info about it.  Sounds like April Fool's stuff.

I agree.

When I Google a game, and NWR is the first link, something's wrong.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »
Oh, and for the Wikipedia article that was used for this post, I'm pretty sure that Destination Fred was just added to it, since a week ago that "game" wasn't there.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »
The wikipedia article lists the game, but the wikipedia page history shows the game was just added to the list today.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:13:03 PM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
Wow, that got shot down fast. ;D

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
While I am hesitant about this news I guess we can wait till the 26th of April to see what comes of this.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
April Fool's jokes are usually funny, and this isn't at all... but it does seem highly suspicious. Too bad if fake, because I'd be all over something like this.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 01:38:44 PM »
If this is an April Fool's joke, it's a REAL good one.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
It's on-rails.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »
Blaster Master all over Jonny's face.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 01:42:37 PM »
If this is an April Fools joke than I will be back in this topic on the 26th with some choice words about it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »
It's totally convincing but I still yelled APRIL FOOLS!!! when I finished reading it.

The Pokemon Kart trailer on 1up is freaking hilarious because I could see Nintendo doing something like that.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
There's no way this is real.  Yanked!
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »

I agree.

When I Google a game, and NWR is the first link, something's wrong.

Sometimes when I Google a Japanese VC/WiiWare game, my thread here is the top result. However, this has to be a April Fools' Day joke. I can't find ANY Google results that aren't just news stories about today's announcement.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 06:03:19 PM »
On the plus side... I can see Sunsoft developing a new Blaster Master in the 8-bit style, similar to Dark Void Zero.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »
Obvious fake is obvious. The name alone is a big tipoff.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »
The name alone is a big tipoff.

How? There are lots of games with odd names:

Stubbs the Zombie in: Rebel Without a Pulse
Dead Head Fred
Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?
Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?

Those are just four examples, all real games with names that are off and sound just as legit.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »
Nintendo Life changed their front page to be VC Reviews again and they announced the handheld VC service. That got my hopes up because the boss was pranking other people yesterday for April Fools so I keep thinking it was actually yesterday.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
I just checked around the web and many websites posted about this, all with the belief that its an April Fools joke. I traced the PR back to Sunsoft's official page.

If this is a joke on Sunsoft's behalf, then shame on them. Every game site received this as official PR, complete with addresses and phone numbers. Not to mention that Capcom and Sega presented their jokes as clear, ridiculous hoaxes that no one in their right mind would believe.

But this? An official PR should never be used to pull a prank like this.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
That's exactly why I ran it.  It's an official press release on their website.  That's what I'm saying...if it's an April Fool's joke, it's a very good one because it's not funny.  Or wait, probably a very bad one because it's not funny.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
Seriously, it could even hurt Sunsoft since no one would take them seriously for trying to pass off a fake news story as real. If this is fake,  Sunsoft better give the sites that ran this story a copy of Blaster Master WiiWare as an apology... ;)
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer