Author Topic: SONY is a big thief; steals Nintendo´s connectivity idea  (Read 7872 times)

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
SONY is a big thief; steals Nintendo´s connectivity idea
« on: March 02, 2004, 12:44:32 PM »
Once more I went over to Gamesindustry.biz, and can you guess which newsarticle I found over there RIGHT above a newsheadline on the NDS?

This one: "Sony confirms PSP to PS2 connectivity rumours".

!!!

Not that I haven´t noticed this kind of "copycat"-trend before (SEGA´s Dreamcast copied the N64 controller more or less, according to NGC Magazine and...I agree with them) but this is proof of the biggest rip-off in videogamehistory!!

I am both outraged, and in a way overjoyed!

I am outraged, because not only does SONY shamelessly copy the original connectivity idea that noone had heard of prior to Nintendo showing it at E3 2003, but they also ensure that only new game-titles will be used in this way, not only ports of existing games...and the very idea of focusing on entirely new, and innovative games for a specific platform is Nintendo´s own.

They have repeatedly stated that the Game industry will die if not re-invigorated by new types of software. The specific problem with the newsarticle, is a line reading that saved games can be moved from the PS2 to the PSP so that play could be continued on that handheld system! Go read it for yourselves! It´s just so obvious, how it´s been directly copied from the GCN-GBA Connectivity concept.  

I am overjoyed, because all this and much recent information in the media prove Nintendo to be the absolute King of Videogames with all that they have said and done as concerns videogames! They must be, if everyone is running after them, and doing what they do. And one understands why Miyamoto is so cautious about revealing Mario 128 too soon!

Stealing ideas from others, is extremely poor behaviour and only shows the lack of creativity on the part of the thief! Still, I think if any two will be the final winners (they say that there can only be two in the end) of the so-called videogame war, it will be Nintendo, and big thief Sony (they also stole the F-Zero game concept and "reverse-engineered" it into the WipeOut- series) and in that order! Sony is too big and too well-established, to do away with like that, and Nintendo is too clever and too innovative to be sent to third place. So out goes Microsoft, if any does!!

But I strongly lament the jealous, childish and even vicious behaviour displayed by certain newscommentators who seek to induce us with bias towards Nintendo, and hope we will jump ship! Shame on them!! If any deserve to be bullied, it is the thief!

But this is just the usual human behaviour, I guess, when people are jealous of someone who is better than themselves! Whatever their reason, to me

Nintendo is the King of videogames!

Gamebasher.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline ZeroWil

• View Profile
RE:SONY is a big thief; steals Nintendo´s connectivity idea
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »
What?! Now that ain' right. That's totally stealin' an idea. Sony needs to make up their own ideas. Plus, I bet the P.S.P is gonna' suck anyway. Nintendo handhelds are always the best.
Join my Nintendo forum at Nintendo Universe
You're gonna' like it. Oh... I'll make you like it. Even has some extra surprises in it.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 12:48:07 PM »
I think it's a great idea! Sure, Sony most likely got the idea from Nintendo, but it really is a great idea and it's great to see other companies recognizing  its potential- it's better for the industry if new ideas like this are more widespread than if one company closely guards them.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 12:51:05 PM »
Totally agree, Mouse_clicker! I forgot to include that aspect in my topic!

I just have a problem with so many picking on Nintendo, when they´re really deserving a lot more praise!  
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: SONY is a big thief; steals Nintendo´s connectivity idea
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 12:52:57 PM »
Now how is Sony stealing Ninty's ideas new?

The only thing that pisses me off is that people will probably think this connectivity is cool while Ninty's isn't...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 12:54:25 PM »
Oh, come on.  Connectivity is both inevitable and pointless.  I'm sure that if Nintendo hadn't have done it first, it would have come along anyway.  It's just a natural extension of logic that a company would want to make its products interact.  This would simply make a PS2- PS1-PSP triangle.  And it is pointless, as I have yet to see a game that makes really good use of the connectivity.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 12:54:32 PM »
Oh, of course- Sony will be praised for implimenting connectivity while Nintendo was bashed for it. It's been happening for a while, we just have to get used to it. :\
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline ZeroWil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 12:55:02 PM »
Who's side are you guys on? But connectin' the P.S.P to a PS2 is like connectin' a GBA with a Nintendo Gamecube. I won't expect XBOX to do it.
Join my Nintendo forum at Nintendo Universe
You're gonna' like it. Oh... I'll make you like it. Even has some extra surprises in it.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 12:58:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Gamebasher

Stealing ideas from others, is extremely poor behaviour and only shows the lack of creativity on the part of the thief!

Well, if you want to get all fancy, Sega had the whole connectivity thing with it's Dreamcast and VMU (It could hook up with a limited number of Neo-Geo Pocket games for extra junk). That was before Nintendo's half assed attempts with that N64 Transfer Pak. But see, if Nintendo didn't "take" the idea, we might not of ended up with their pretty decent GC/GBA link-ups we have today.

If an idea's good, why not try and make it better? That's what Sony are hoping to do, and I wish them luck.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 01:00:34 PM »
This actually can be a good thing for Nintendo. The general trend of the last few years is the belief that anything Sony does is "cool" and draws interest. Keeping that in mind, the Sony fanboys will eat the PS2/PSP connectivity up like a crackhead smokes crack. Once Sony successfully makes connectivity cool, people will start seeing Nintendo in a whole new light and give proper credit where it's due...hopefully.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 01:01:41 PM »
I think Sony mentioned this when they announced the PSP.  And as Jim Carrey once said (about Dumb and Dumberer, but applicable here), "Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery."  

And, ZeroWil, you may want to check the rules about the size of avatars.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 01:03:05 PM »
why not bitch and moan at Sony for stealing the idea of a handheld from Nintendo. perhaps we meet again... AgentSeven
OUT OF DATE.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 01:05:03 PM »
Nah, Gamebasher's just pissed that all of the sudden Sony thinks connectivity is great. AgentSeven wouldn't have said anything even remotely good about Sony.

Offline DrZoidberg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 01:13:04 PM »
i spose, + it didn't have enough posts by clone accounts supporting himself while at teh same time writting himself fan mail.

this thread needs more drama.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline savanna03

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 01:27:32 PM »
it suck when things happen like this but at the same time kinda exciting because SONY and the rest of the 3RD PARTIES will finally see the potential of connectivity... it will evolve the game industry all together...  the problem with GCN and GBA connectivity is that its exclusive to NINTENDO platform and 3RD PARTIES dont really see the GCN as the choice of platform to put exclusive to that is why connectivity really didn't fly...  but to tell u the truth though, that this will not give NINTENDO the advantage, it will give the GAME INDUSTRY the advantage... we will see games that weren't played like before...  
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2004, 01:30:40 PM »
"but they also ensure that only new game-titles will be used in this way, not only ports of existing games...and the very idea of focusing on entirely new, and innovative games for a specific platform is Nintendo´s own."

Huh?  Are you saying the concept of releasing new titles on a platform is a Nintendo trademark?  What did you expect Sony to release nothing but ports?  Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what you wrote.

And I see no reason to be pissed off about this.  This isn't stealing.  Nintendo introduced a concept and the rest of the industry is adapting it because it's a good idea.  It would only be stealing if Sony copied a Nintendo idea before Nintendo debuted it to the public by getting information from insiders.

The idea of having a portable and console connect is solid and I would actually have been surprised if Sony didn't go with it.  Nintendo's problem with connectivity is that they grossly overestimate it's usefulness.  They think it's a valid replacement for online gaming and huge system-selling feature when in fact it's merely a neat bonus for people who own both systems.  Or at least that's all it has been so far.

If Sony is able to find a way to make such a feature a system seller well good for them.  It's Nintendo own fault if they can't think of anything better than Pac-Man Vs or four player games with expensive hardware requirements.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2004, 01:39:44 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
I think it's a great idea! Sure, Sony most likely got the idea from Nintendo, but it really is a great idea and it's great to see other companies recognizing  its potential- it's better for the industry if new ideas like this are more widespread than if one company closely guards them.

No.  No it's not.

This is BS, man.  Throughout the GC's lifetime (which Iwata claims is to continue for EIGHT MORE YEARS), everyone accused Ninty of taking Sony's ideas, but I bet money that no one will thrash Sony when Namco decides to port Pac-Man VS to PS2/3/PSP...*sigh*...

WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2004, 01:51:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
If Sony is able to find a way to make such a feature a system seller well good for them.  It's Nintendo own fault if they can't think of anything better than Pac-Man Vs or four player games with expensive hardware requirements.

Do you honestly think Sony can do better?  When Ninty doesn't do enough with it, they get bashed, and when they do something great with it(FF:CC and Four Swords) they get bashed for it...It's completely uncalled for...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2004, 02:21:53 PM »
Not bashing conectivity or anything, but even the GBA/GCN thing is jsut a spin-off of the VMU and pocketstation from teh Dreamcast and PSone.  Gameube/Game Boy Connectivity is the same basic concept, just on a larger, and definatly better thought out, scale.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004, 02:55:02 PM »
I was kind of expecting that sort of thing, and I don't really blame them.  After all, it's a logical move.

However, under your logic, everybody who has ever developed something else that someone pioneered is a thief.  Wait, so now my car is stolen because it's not the very first one ever made?  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 03:21:32 PM »
Know what this thread is missing?

a link
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 03:59:15 PM »
I think the word stealing needs to be defined.  I think Gamebasher's angry Sony is going to use this idea and probably get credit for it whereas Nintendo has been pushing this for a couple of years and still isn't getting recognition.  A stealing of a trump card before it was effectively played if you will...
P.S.  I always felt the transfer pack was the descendant of Nintendo's own Super Gameboy that just capitalized on the controller inputs of the N64.  Whatever.  I think Nintendo's problem is that pre-FF:CC they used the GBA/GCN connectivity just as they did the transfer packs, put a game in out pops a bonus- no real interaction between the two systems.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 04:08:09 PM »
Damn Sony for doing something so blatantly obvious and smart.  Why in the world was Sony allow Nintendo to have something that Sony didn't...?  No reason at all.  It was a good move.  If Sony wants to better Nintendo, they need to match them first.

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2004, 05:19:41 PM »

Originally posted by: odifiend

P.S.  I always felt the transfer pack was the descendant of Nintendo's own Super Gameboy that just capitalized on the controller inputs of the N64.  Whatever.  I think Nintendo's problem is that pre-FF:CC they used the GBA/GCN connectivity just as they did the transfer packs, put a game in out pops a bonus- no real interaction between the two systems.

Nintendo DID have a game boy player for the N64, they (and other companies) used it often at E3.  You could often see game boy games being demoed with a N64 controler. Why Nintendo never released it, I will never know.  I dont think Nintendo ever showed the player at E3 as a possible new product like they have with other items, like the Nintendo Gamecube Screen, which was shown, but has yet to be released, or even talked about.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline DrZoidberg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 07:00:07 PM »
yeah i know that, it's called the Wideboy 64 or something like that, should really have released it to the public, would have saved many people money on batteries for pokemon, duracell etc would have loved that game.
OUT OF DATE.