Author Topic: The Birth of Darth Vader Concept Art (pic inside)  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Birth of Darth Vader Concept Art (pic inside)
« on: January 07, 2004, 03:38:20 PM »
Holy Crap!!! Click here to check out a thread at the theforce.net message boards in which a piece of concept art for the birth of Darth Vader was posted. There's a bigger version of the pic if you scroll down a few posts. From everything I've read this is supposed to be official concept art.

WOW!!!  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Official Birth of Darth Vader Concept Art (pic inside)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 04:20:48 PM »
Damn, talk about Star Wars nuts. Nice pic  though, though not really surprising since we know what Darth Vader supposed to look like any way.  Maybe he'll become Vader piece by piece?

It'll be interesting if we see a trailer for Ep 3 this year (Hopefully by years end.).  While I won't go psycho and camp outside for tickets, (no offense to psychos out there.) its definately one of those must-see movies of 2005.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 06:27:17 AM »
That's not really THAT interesting.  I mean we already know that Vader is a cyborg and we know what he looks like under the mask.  We also know that the Emperor created him.  The specifics aren't really that important nor are they that surprising.  It's not like Vader is an enigma created millions of years ago by an ancient race.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
RE:Official Birth of Darth Vader Concept Art (pic inside)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 12:38:44 PM »
Wow that's sweet.

I can't believe the movie is coming out in 2005! It's so far from now!
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 04:42:55 PM »
Well, if you aren't into Star Wars then I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal. For a Star Wars fan it is a big deal because it is the climax of the prequel movies. That scene is the entire reason for them. Everything else is leading up to that moment. It's just like Vader destroying the Emperor in Jedi was the climax of the Original Trilogy. The prequels are about Anakin's fall and the Original Trilogy is about his redemption. So yeah it's a big deal to Star Wars fans.

If this topic was about the Matrix or The Lord of the Rings then none of you would have a problem with it.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 04:44:09 PM »
2005!?  No way!  Now that sets back my Indiana Jones movie!

*shakes fist at George Lucas*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 04:47:46 PM »
No it doesn't. Indiana Jones is still slated for a 2005 release.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »
Last time I looked up on the subject IJ4 wasn't supposed to be started on until Episode 3 was released...If that isn't the case anymore, however, I'm relieved... ^_^

On the subject of Star Wars, I do hope this one releases the pain I suffered watching the first two prequels...Let's go out with a bang, Lucas, not a bomb...

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 10:58:03 AM »

Well, if you aren't into Star Wars then I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal. For a Star Wars fan it is a big deal because it is the climax of the prequel movies

I'm a really big fan of star wars. I've always been. I can't wait!!
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 02:43:46 PM »
i'm just trying to keep my expectations so low that the movie might actually seem tolerable when i watch it.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 07:58:06 PM »
Agreed. The "prequel" and original trilogies are worlds apart. I hold the original trilogy in high regard, and Episodes 1 and 2 have just disappointed.

OMG BLASTS AND CG! I'M EXCITED! SNOOZE!

Anyway, hopefully this movie brings the two trilogies together nicely. I'll just wait before getting excited.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 03:06:42 AM »
If only the trilogy had been made today... the graphics would have been brilliant.

Come to think of it the sepcial effects in the original trilogy are the best in any old film

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 07:45:43 AM »
"If only the trilogy had been made today... the graphics would have been brilliant."

If the original trilogy has been made today it would have sucked.  It would have been an overly ambitious CG fest.  The original Star Wars was made better because limitations forced Lucas to be creative.  Judging by the crappy extras scenes in the Special Editions if Lucas had the ability to make exactly what he wanted Star Wars would have been terrible.

Episode I was a decent but disappointing film.  Considering the fact that no film could have lived up to the hype and that the good (podrace, Jedi battle) was REALLY good I was willing to give it some slack.  I felt that if Episodes II and III were really good they could make up for Episode I's shortcomings.  Then Episode II came out and just plain flat out SUCKED.  It took all the stuff I hated about the first film and made them worse.  The acting and the writing became worse and there was even more focus on CG.  As a result I have VERY low expectations for the third film and I really am not that excited about it.  Episode III has to be the best film ever made in order to salvage this trilogy.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 08:36:46 AM »
I suppose the reason why Star Wars was such a huge success is because it had ground breaking graphics.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 04:03:12 PM »
I'd be inclined to say that Star Wars trilogy was a success because it as the right place at the right time. The prequels have some good concepts with some faults which I personally forgive, but it seems the general public doesn't.

The elements are there to have Ep3 go all out. Between the falling out of Obi-Wan and Anakin, the birth of Luke and Leia, Palpatine being a more sneaky bastard, the general chaos that most likely will happen,  Ep3 may pull it off. I'd personally would like to see a young Han Solo, but that's doubtful since I'm guessing he's 5 years older than  Luke(Most likely Luke and Leia will be babies in this one). The people didn't like Lil' Anakin, so no Lil' Solo. Which probably means no Chewbacca. Damn...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2004, 11:23:19 PM »
Djunknown, if you loved Chewie then praise the lord cause Chewbacca IS in Episode 3!
Chewie is like 200 years old in the trilogy, so him being in Ep 3 is quite alright.
There's a huge Wookie battle, so that should be interesting.
Chewie, apparently, is the one who delivers the Skywalker babies to their foster parents.
Big role indeed.

I like the prequels. It's just that they are nothing more than simply of how the story got to where it was in the original trilogy. It was like it didn't matter how good they were as long as they got there in the end.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 09:42:10 AM »
The prequels weren't meant to be groundbreaking were they? It was just to expand on the series/make more money. Both goals achieved.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 02:42:05 PM »
I think the sabre fights in the preguels are brilliant. Just compare them to the original trilogy.  I mean, i have to give them some slack because they were old men fighting.  But Darth Vader is supposed to be one of (if not) the best swordsmen in the universe.  And he was barely able to beat old wrinkly Obi-Wan. If he is that good, he should have been doing Yoda style fighting.  But hey, it's 26 years old so it's good for its age.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2004, 03:03:10 PM »

If the original trilogy has been made today it would have sucked. It would have been an overly ambitious CG fest. The original Star Wars was made better because limitations forced Lucas to be creative. Judging by the crappy extras scenes in the Special Editions if Lucas had the ability to make exactly what he wanted Star Wars would have been terrible.

Ian, you've taken the words right out of my mouth. The original three movies are monuments among film making, and I'm sad to see the Star Wars name ruined by such awful movies. Special effects have gone to Lucas's head- there's no doubt that ILM is one of the most talented group of people on the planet, but Lucas has forgetten about content. I read one article that said when Lucas visited Scorsese on the (huge) set of Gangs of New York in Italy, he told him that it could all be done with computers now- I think that really shows what is first and foremost on Lucas's mind. Om the other hand I think ridiculing CG altogether as Tarantino has is being snooty and arrogant. I myself love Peter Jackson's approach to computer generated effects, that they should be used to accent the film, that they should fade into the backround and become part of the movie rather than stand out. Particularly, some scenes in movies today would be impossible to do conventionally, such as LotR's huge sweeping battles. It's okay to use computers, but not in excess.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2004, 03:44:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Shorty McNostril
I think the sabre fights in the preguels are brilliant. Just compare them to the original trilogy.  I mean, i have to give them some slack because they were old men fighting.  But Darth Vader is supposed to be one of (if not) the best swordsmen in the universe.  And he was barely able to beat old wrinkly Obi-Wan. If he is that good, he should have been doing Yoda style fighting.  But hey, it's 26 years old so it's good for its age.

The original trilogy didn't need flashy gimmicks...It had a wonderful story and great acting: two things that the prequels have certainly lacked thus far...

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2004, 11:26:53 PM »
I think the two best CG moments in the Lord of the Rings are:
1. In Fellowship, they are rowing on the river and they pass those two huge statues which have the hands outstretched as a warning for people to turn back. That was an awe-striking moment, especially when the camera pans over the statues.

2. IN Return of the King when Gandalf rides out to help Faramir and his army back to Minas Tirith, and when the Nazgul (sp?) fly away because of the light from his staff. The camera is shaky like it's on a horseback as well, and it would roughly pan to the huge Minas Tirith - the music is grand, there is no sound other than the music, and it is probably the best scene i have ever seen.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2004, 06:53:07 AM »
The Lord of the Rings uses CG perfectly.  Whenever something could be done with real actors or real props it was and as a result almost everything looks real.  If George Lucas directed those movies every single orc would be CG and instead of forced persceptive shots for the Hobbits the actors would be filmed on blue screen for 90% of the movie.

Gollum, the balrog, the trolls, etc were all CG characters because they absolutely HAD to be.  Compare that to Jar Jar who is a useless character created solely so there could be a major fully animated character.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2004, 02:40:36 PM »
Uh, please don't hijack this thread and turn it into a LotR vs Star Wars discussion. You can make your own thread for that. I made this thread with the intention of sharing the birth of Darth Vader art so there could be a discussion about that and Episode III as a whole. Frankly, I didn't want it to become a prequel bitch fest either. I've had an ass full of why and how much the prequels suck so I don't see why it needs to be done here. Hell, I was reading an IGN.com review of Flight of the Falcon for the GBA and the reviewer had to pointlessly mention how much the prequels suck. The damn game doesn't even have anything to do with the prequel movies.