Author Topic: Japanese DVDs  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Japanese DVDs
« on: October 21, 2003, 07:01:27 AM »
Ok, Nausicaa is coming out in Japan on DVD, and I need some advice on how I can get a solution to play Japanese DVDs.  Does anyone know where I can get a good multi-regional player?  Would it be possible for me to buy another DVD drive for my computer and set it to Japanese encoding, while the original stays on US?   Can anyone help me out here?
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Japanese DVDs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 07:50:49 AM »
Get a Q... =P just kidding...I think region codes in computers are based in software, so buying another drive wouldn't matter I don't think.  The tricky thing with region on computers is that it appears you can freely switch between regions, but eventually one will lock into place and you can no longer change it.  There are pieces of software that keep this locking from taking place....I think tech tv did a whole piece on this, I'll see if I can find it over on their site.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE:Japanese DVDs
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 07:59:35 AM »
Here is an article that discusses secret codes for dvd players...this is the easiest way but consider yourself lucky if you actually have a dvd player with a code.

Here is a site that has a piece of software that tells what your current dvd rom drive is set to and how many changes you have left.

And that is a supposed piece of software that makes everything region free for certain players regardless of your drive.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I haven't actually tried any of these things.  This is just stuff I've read about.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 08:19:08 AM »
Eh? My Windows knows by itself how many changes I have left...
A friend of mine said the number of changes left is stored in the firmware, meaning you can reset that number and setting by flushing your firmware.

*looking through PZ's links* Wait, does that mean Europe and Japan are in the same region? I can play imported animes without changing my region? WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME BEFORE???

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 08:21:42 AM »
You gotta watch out on the whole PAL vs. NTSC thing too though.
---------------------

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 09:22:47 AM »
My laptop tells me I have 4 total (i think it was 4) changes I can make with regions.  And the final one becomes the permanment region setting.  I have a removable cdrw/dvd drive but I don't know what the region switch setting is for that.  I also don't know what the region switch setting is for my desktop, but since both a Dell they are probably the same.

http://search.msn.com/pass/results.aspx?srch=105&FORM=MSN8A&q=region+fee+dvd+players

Don't know if it'll help.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 10:11:07 AM »
Pale: Usually DVD-players can convert Pal to NTSC and vice-versa. PCs don't have to bother with that stuff at all.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 10:22:34 AM »
i have region free, a program to stop that nasty region locking, and the crack to make it legit, anyone who wants it get in touch with me and ill sendy mc go go it to you, even though i still have 1 change left, no way am i missing out on my fatal fury or planet gamecube dvds!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 02:47:50 PM »
Ok, i got a question now, what makes a regular dvd player play pal discs?  I got my q and they claimed it had the pal mod but it won't play pal discs....it plays any ntsc region..but nothing pal.  Very frustrating.
---------------------

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 03:57:48 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Ok, Nausicaa is coming out in Japan on DVD, and I need some advice on how I can get a solution to play Japanese DVDs.  Does anyone know where I can get a good multi-regional player?  Would it be possible for me to buy another DVD drive for my computer and set it to Japanese encoding, while the original stays on US?   Can anyone help me out here?

I am waiting for that one too.    But I think I will wait for the North American release, as my Japanese isn't good enough for a movie like that.

But yes, if you got another DVD-ROM, you could set it up to play Japanese DVDs without issue.  But if you tell me what you currently have for DVD players, I might be able to help you mod them to play movies from other regions without limitation.  My own DVD-ROM is hacked so it will play movies from any region, although I only have Region 1 DVDs.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 04:36:58 PM »
DVD region free is a great program to make your PC region free.  Doesn't matter if your region lock is software or hardware based, it can overide just abotu everything, downside, it isn't free-ware, but it's worth it.

SIDE NOTE:  Which version of Nausicaa did you order?
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 04:39:18 PM »

I am waiting for that one too.    But I think I will wait for the North American release, as my Japanese isn't good enough for a movie like that.

It's ghibli from Japan.  It has subtitles, and might even have the english dub, but who knows.  From what I've heard the new dub isn't done and thye'd never use warriors of the wind, dub.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 07:29:01 PM »
It has subtitles?????  Ok... nobody told me this....

Bloodworth, where can I get his DVD?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 08:18:50 PM »
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/anime/ghibli/nausicaa.html

But you can pretty much guarantee that a second DVD drive would do the trick?  I think that's the route I'd like to go.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 03:58:29 AM »
I play Japanese dvds on my PC all the time.  It says that it will permanantly switch you to region 2 dvd reading, but it doesn't.  You can always switch it back to region 1.  No big deal.  My friend lent me Laputa: Castle in the Sky.  Great movie.  The Japanese version even comes with English subtitles.  Sweet.
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2003, 06:01:17 AM »
I can't say much about WATCHING japanese DVD's in an american dvd player, but I'm sure you can find a way for a DVD-rom to play them, along with getting multi-region DVD's.

I can comment on Nausicaa though, I recently *cough*downloaded a good fansub*cough* and it is a REALLY good anime, one of the best animated movies I've ever seen.  Its trying to cram a ton of information into a 2 hour film, so if you miss something, you miss it forever, so if you don't have a really good mastery of japanese, I can understand where you'll be lost for quite a while.

Also, considering that Disney is doing the localization of all of Miyazaki's works, I'm sure the disney dub of nausicaa will be VERY good, and I'll almost undoubtely pick it up, even though the film looks a little dated.  I'm sure the DVD release has to up the quality quite a bit, for such a dark movie, its really hard to discern certain parts of it considering the washed out colors.

Good movie though, i definately reccommend it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2003, 06:49:24 AM »
robofish: DVD-drives usually count how many times you change your region and when you did it five times (including the initial setting) it will no longer allow you to change it. If yours doesn't, consider yourself happy but DON'T advise others to try and potentially mess up their drive.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2003, 06:53:56 AM »
Syl, you're hilarious.  Do you really think I'd go through all this trouble for a movie I've never seen?  Nausicaa is my favorite movie, period.  It has been ever since I was a kid and saw the butchered (although I didn't know until more than a decade later) Warriors of the Wind American release.  I now have a decent fan sub of the movie and plan to pick up the entire translated manga sometime from Amazon.com

And as for things being washed out / hard to discern, that's your copy dude.  The picture on my copy isn't that great either, but there's nothing close to being what I would call "hard to discern".
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2003, 02:09:26 PM »
heh, the "warriors of the wind" was so butchered i couldn't sit through all of it, which is why i got a fansub recently.  all the cave scenes where it was incredibly dark, all that stood out was someones face, the entire background was almost pure black, quite annoying.  That might have just been my copy though.  

regardless, theyre translating the manga now?... I might need to look into that

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2003, 04:40:22 PM »
It's actually been translated for quite some time.  Wish I had known sooner.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2003, 11:56:20 PM »
KDR:  Apologies.  I did not realize that.  I will make sure I have my info right next time I say stuff.
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2003, 03:29:36 AM »
Bloodworth, as it turns out, its actually DISNEY who has the distro rights in Japan, so therefore, by the time the japanese DVD version comes along, the american one will most likely already be out, with dubs.  
Even though I don't care much for dubs, from what Ive seen disney do with Spirited Away and Mononoke, they won't be bad at all.

I suggest you wait untill Disney releases it here, I'm not quite sure when that is, but I have a feeling that theres a small chance it could be this year.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2003, 07:35:38 AM »
Disney has had those rights forever, and has the rights to a lot of other movies that haven't made it out over here.  I'm not going to wait around another five or ten years for them to co-release it on DVD when Ghibli's next big movie is out.  I watch all of these movies in Japanese with subtitles anyways, so getting the proper equipment isn't a big deal and I'll likely start importing other movies as well.  I just wanted to be sure I knew what the right equipment is.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2003, 06:55:47 PM »