Author Topic: Son half-assed ripped off Nintendo  (Read 32478 times)

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Sony half-assed ripped off Nintendo
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2006, 08:37:37 PM »
So... I'm going to go right ahead here and call the PS3 controller... the Pii.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2006, 08:52:05 PM »
Ok, so my first thoughts of Sony as I watched the feed "B-O-R-I-N-G-!" (too much footage and speaking of sh!t we don't care) "L-A-M-E-!" (the controller's "new" feature).

My current thoughts after reading many posts and information about the new PS3 controller "F-A-K-E-!" as in they are so arrogant of themselves that they think they have something better than Nintendo, even after their excuse to explain the lack of rumble?

I'm gonna have a blast answering to my friend's queries about the controller.

Btw, the HDMI thingy that is only available on the $600 model is for what, is it so it can play Blu-ray movies or does it have any other function?  

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:Sony half-assed ripped off Nintendo
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2006, 08:53:18 PM »
Damn context sensitive ads.  The Free PS3 column ad is mocking us with its use of the boomerang.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2006, 08:56:38 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

Btw, the HDMI thingy that is only available on the $600 model is for what, is it so it can play Blu-ray movies or does it have any other function?

Here is how I understand it.  It will still play Blu-Ray fine without HMDI out.  However, the output wont be 1080i, it will be compressed.

Also, I was told the $500 PS3 doesn't have the slots for the other memory card types (Memory Stick, SD, Compact Flash).  Is this true?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2006, 09:01:46 PM »
Its bad, but its not a threat, its nothing compared to the revs funtionality.  It actually works for Reggie, now he gets to reveal everthing about the rev, AND make fun of sony (if he so chooses)

I posted some kind of funny reactions from the PS camp in the Other Systems section if you wanna check them out.  I dont wanna post them again for what is the exact same thread.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2006, 09:02:24 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz ...
Are we really supposed to believe that the mainstream is going to spend $600 on a console to play a $60 racing game using a $250 handheld as a mirror? ...

I don't really understand how that form of connectivity is going to work. Wouldn't you need someone to hold the PSP up at the right height for it to act as a mirror?  I wouldn't want to have to look down at the seat next to me to check my rear view. What's wrong with holding L2 or something? It seems like having connectivity for connectivity's sake.

Regarding the alternate versions of PS3 is it right to assume the core version is not upgradeable to the premium model, that is, if there are missing ports and what not.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2006, 09:02:59 PM »

Seriously... this is such a train wreck to begin with, it's almost spiteful to point it out.
After what, well, everyone has put Nintendo through, don't you think it's time for a little poetic justice?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2006, 09:04:54 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm

Here is how I understand it.  It will still play Blu-Ray fine without HMDI out.  However, the output wont be 1080i, it will be compressed.

Also, I was told the $500 PS3 doesn't have the slots for the other memory card types (Memory Stick, SD, Compact Flash).  Is this true?

Yes, it's true. The $500 version will also be missing Wifi.  

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2006, 09:06:59 PM »

The PS3 doesn't support 1080p? Then what's the point of getting a PS3 just to play Blu-ray?

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2006, 09:12:10 PM »

The PS3 doesn't support 1080p? Then what's the point of getting a PS3 just to play Blu-ray?

The $600 version supports 1080p, the $500 version does not.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2006, 09:14:05 PM »
Yeah that's what I'm understanding now after I read some posts at the penny-arcade forums. Basically you need HDMI for 1080p output, so those who buy the $499.99 model in the end are paying more than what they asked for.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2006, 10:17:47 PM »
I get home from my Wushu class around 10:30 where my coach gave me amazing news about my future career, and then I see this... Im very pleased that Sony did this, well im pleased that they copied craptacularly. I have friends who absolutely refuse to accept Nintendos new way of play with the DS and the Wii, simply becuase some act of moving is involved. I usualy am very calm, and collected when I discuss these things, I never ever bash Microsoft or Sony like they love to bash Nintendo. And I just can't wait to throw this in their faces, im gonna pull a Reggie on em! With the PS3's price and crapy new "motion" technology, all I can say is things are looking great for Nintendo.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2006, 10:38:04 PM »
I've gone through a range of emotions in the last two hours that I've been thinking about the PS3's controller. First it was outrage, then it was laughter over the price and the limited capabilities, then it was excitement thinking that Nintendo's conference will throw a knockout punch in Sony's direction tomorrow, but now it is worry that Nintendo will drop the ball tomorrow. I mean, it seems like such a sure thing that Nintendo will kick ass tomorrow that it would be the perfect time for Nintendo to break our hearts.

That's just the skeptic and cynic inside me talking. All Nintendo has to do is roll footage of Wii games that make the Warhawk demo look like ass, which is easily done, and they win. I just want it to be a BIG win. A no doubt about it blowout.

I also don't want Nintendo to mention Sony's press conference. They've been saying for an incredibly long time that they ain't competing with either Sony or Microsoft and to poke fun at Sony now would fly in the face of that.  

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2006, 11:31:06 PM »
HAY GUYZ U TINK WE MITE B OVERREACTING TO AN INANIMUT OBJECT JUST A LITTLE?

srsly tho, it's not that big a deal. We know they were toying around with the idea of motion sensing back in 2003. I don't doubt that the clincher for them was the popularity of the Wii controller, but since they obviously aren't trying to completely rip off the Wii controller, I don't think it's that big a deal. On the bright side, maybe this will make all those Sony fanwanks STFU about making fun of the Wii controller.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »
Well I see I'm alittle late to the posting party, but I'll give my thoughts anyway. At first I was stunned to see that Sony blatantly tried to copy most of Wii's functions, but after thinking about it, I find it quite laughable. For once I may be rooting for both Nintendo and Microsoft to overtake Sony, nothing irks me more than blatant ripoffs with no innovation.

Really, in a way I think this could really help Nintendo, not only is PS3 priced like gold, but I think many will find this attempt to be laughable, along with focusing more on Nintendo since it shows that there is something to Nintendo's Wii. I also believe this does show why Nintendo does fear revealing too much, this is the 2nd time they've been copied from an early revealing (the first being the digital stick). Luckily Sony didn't have much time to make good use of it, and it may have turned into a disaster! Now is the time, if any, for Nintendo to have a stellar E3 presentation, if they can do that I think that momentum will drive them to a very sucessful generation of gaming.

P.S. Why didn't Sony keep the boomerang remote? It would have made a great boomerang throwing simulation with their "innovative" motion sensor.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2006, 12:47:31 AM »
Just a note: the HDMI requirement on Blue-ray for HD is artificial for copy protection:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Compatibility

Another aspect of compatibility is more problematic. Due to AACS copy protection, the Blu-ray players will only output HD content via HDMI and DVI-D connections, meaning that older HDTV models with Component, RGB D-Sub, and DVI-A inputs (currently, majority of HDTVs in US) will only display video at standard definition or not at all.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2006, 01:49:17 AM »
This can't be written off as meaningless just because of how crappy the motion sensing is applied. To Joe Average gamers it will look like the PS3 has the same feature as the Wii controller. At least at first before it becomes common knowledge which is the better of the two controllers. But that helps to kill off a certain amount of the Wii's steam.

Should've seen this coming. I'm so stupid.

Offline eljefe

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2006, 03:39:50 AM »
I haven't read all the responses

but it doesn't even have rumble anymore

who wants this thing?
..:    I just noticed WTF is FTW backwords. Sometimes when you think things are going bad, they suddenly turn around. Much like this thread. For the win.  :.   MJRx9000

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2006, 03:46:36 AM »
i think its almost a good thing. for he current industry leader to basically copy nintendo shows nintendo is onto something. the really good thing is that half-assed is the right word. their controller is nowhere near as versatile as nintendos, and doesnt allow for even close to the amount of gameplay possibilites.

Offline Magik

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2006, 05:11:06 AM »
The Sony controller at this moment is a joke.  It's a half-assed tilt controller that is not polished unlike the Wii controller.

And to clear things up, Sony did not steal from Nintendo, they stole from Logitech and Microsoft.  Logitech and Microsoft came out with a PC controller that is essentially what the Sony controller is.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2006, 05:20:39 AM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
I've thought about it some more, and I think Nintendo shouldn't even mention Sony's press conference. Seriously... this is such a train wreck to begin with, it's almost spiteful to point it out.

I completely agree. I think the old rule of thumb was never acknowledge that your competition exists unless you have to.

In this case, Nintendo is already light years ahead of their competition and doesn't need to do act like it has any competition at all.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2006, 05:56:52 AM »
I think Reggie should go out start laughing then apologizing. "Sorry, I was just thinking about the startling innovations revealed yesterday." Laugh some more. Then start the show. (not really)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2006, 07:11:00 AM »
So I was watching the news today and they showed that guy demoing the PS3 controller as if Sony thought of this brilliant invention.  GRRRR!!  Stupid Sony.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2006, 07:13:12 AM »
That guy honestly did look like he had never played games before in his life just because of how much it reminded me of either girls or parents who move like tards when they first get their hands on a racing game or something.  

It could be worse though, it could have been actually BETTER than the Wii
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2006, 07:14:25 AM »
"That guy honestly did look like he had never played games before in his life just because of how much it reminded me of either girls or parents who move like tards when they first get their hands on a racing game or something."

Holy doodle!  He's a NON-GAMER!!