Author Topic: Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii  (Read 12508 times)

Offline heinous_anus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2006, 12:22:22 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

Because all of the arguments not in favor of Wii have been perfectly rational....

They haven't?  The majority of opposition I've seen on these boards all stems from realistic concerns regarding how this name might affect John Q. Public's console purchasing decision a year from now.  Citing that "wii" (wee) comes in with an ambiguous name is hardly irrational.

Originally posted by: wandering

Anyway. In response to this:

How come when people cite the negative reaction they're told that's just the internet/gaming community and 'normal' people don't associate 'wee' with any funny words, but when it comes to pro-Wiiers citing the buzz created, the fact that the internet/gaming community are the only places buzzing about it doesn't matter? It's like "OMG this is a brilliant decision, everyone on the internet is buzzing about Wii!" and then "Only the super lame internet associates this with anything bad!"

I actually sort of agree with this, although Wii HAS gotten stories in all the major news outlets. NYT, BBC ("Name Swap Sparks Satire"...ugg), Washington Post, etc. But I don't think Wii has suddenly sparked a massive newfound interest in the console, no. Nintendo's E3 presentation will do that.

That's fine that it's getting stories, but so does a new disease that breaks out. :P

The only way I can ever get behind the name, er, rather, get used to it, is if NOA gets the rights to everyone's favorite Queen song and uses that on every. single. commercial.  "Wii will rock you."

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2006, 12:44:47 PM »
wouldnt a "wii will rock you" commercial or add campaign alienate the same people they intended to not alienate with the official name because "revolution" was agressive? If they ever use  the song it will be in contradiction to the reason behind the name.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:Some things I need to get off my chest about Wii
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2006, 09:30:32 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Just because we knew what Nintendo's rationale behind the name is, doesn't mean we have to accept it.  It does make sense AFTER it is explained.  The problem is, an explanation shouldn't be necessary.  I'm a marketing major, and I can tell you that the very first test you give a product name is whether or not you have to explain the name.  If you do, you go back to the drawing board.

Second, and I'll explain this in more detail on the site later, just because you've gotten used to it after a day of contemplation and a thorough explanation from Nintendo, doesn't mean that Joe Mainstream (who doesn't read gaming websites) will.  Remember ... you're not Nintendo's target market anymore.  Joe is, and Joe isn't walking into a store and asking for Mario on Wii.  He won't care how easy it is to say, or what it symbolizes.  All he cares about is how silly he'll feel saying it in front of his friends, and he'll avoid that embarrassment if at all possible.

Joe mainstream won't have to get used to it after an explanation and a day of contemplation, because he isn't recovering from the shock of a sudden name change. Hearing the name fresh, in a 30-second spot that will, with simple visuals and voiceover, quickly explain how to pronounce the name and what it symbolizes, I don't think he'll care that much. I don't think he'll think it's any sillier to say than, say, the company in my avatar. I do think, however, that he'll remember the name...and that has to be a good thing.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon