Author Topic: There are still 800 and something pokemon to catch: Now with more ribbons  (Read 60268 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently there are 800 and something pokemon now: Now with more ribbons.
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2020, 09:53:56 PM »
I just have to breed some stuff to get a full living dex for gen 8 but since I don't hate myself enough already apparently, I have taken on another stupid hardcore Pokemon challenge.

There are these things called ribbons that you get that are a sort of quasi achievement system. You get them for doing things like winning contests or getting win streaks at the battle tower and they're tied to the Pokemon you used to complete those tasks so they can be transferred between games. There's a so called "Ribbon Master" community that tries to get as many ribbons as possible on a single pokemon.

Now let me tell you a story. My first shiny Pokemon (I'm assuming anyone who read this far knows what a shiny pokemon is but they're the ones that are different colors from regular Pokemon and have fancy star effects when they come out of the ball) was a dratini in Firered's save file. Sadly I lost that save file but since I have an everdrive I can get that dratini back and evolve it into a beautiful green Dragonite and since it was caught in the Safari Zone, it is in a Safari Ball which is a nice bit of synergy in terms of coloration. I've gotten really picky

So using the power of cheating, I have reclaimed my shiny dratini and now it shall become a beautiful dragonite that will get all of the ribbons and we will all live happily ever after.

I did Mt. Battle in XD: Gale of Darkness to get the Earth Ribbon and today I finished the contests in Ruby as well as the level 50 battle tower ribbon, the art ribbon, the one you get for beating the elite 4, and the effort ribbon so now I just need to do the level 100 battle streak thingy to get that ribbon and I can move on to Gen 4.

Contests are an interesting beast. The first round is something I'll get to in a second when I  but the second round is an interesting system where you try to get as many points as possible while screwing over your teammates. It's actually a really interesting system and I'm definitely curious to see how it gets iterated on in DPPT and ORAS. The problem with it is that it takes forever. The first round is a good minute or two of just mashing through text and the second round feels like it drags on forever. It's just a drag and it ruins what should otherwise be a fun little side mode.

My other issue with contests is that it repurposes your existing moveset for contests. It's really difficult to get a moveset that works for both contests and battles and I didn't want to do any more cheating for this beyond what I had to do to get the dratini and it's two cohorts (a Snorlax and a Metagross) for the battle tower so I was basically trying to make things work with what I had.

There is a ribbon for doing wi-fi multi battles in Gen 4's battle tower/battle frontier so if you are interested in getting a 50 battle streak in the battle tower I'm down for that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:38:33 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline TrailerMan

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: There are still 800 and something pokemon to catch: Now with more ribbons
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2021, 03:51:28 AM »
I'll never count any Pokémon past the first 150.