Author Topic: Which was better: GameCube or Wii?  (Read 37180 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which was better: GameCube or Wii?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »
DD was a great game to play with Non-Gamers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »

But that's exactly the same reason I really dig MK Wii. I can hand my dad the Wii Wheel, and we can race as a team so it's our collective performance that wins the day. I'll even drive  BEHIND my dad as his sort of "wing man" to fire red shells at anyone who threatens to pass him.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
I'll even drive  BEHIND my dad as his sort of "wing man" to fire red shells at anyone who threatens to pass him.

This sentence becomes really funny if someone didn't know this was in reference to a video game and assumed you were talking about real life driving.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »

But that's exactly the same reason I really dig MK Wii. I can hand my dad the Wii Wheel, and we can race as a team so it's our collective performance that wins the day. I'll even drive  BEHIND my dad as his sort of "wing man" to fire red shells at anyone who threatens to pass him.
Wait, but in DD you actually could be the wing man and your dad could drive while you shot the shells. 

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 02:29:23 AM »
This isn't even a contest.  The Wii crushes the Gamecube in nearly every conceivable way. I see a lot of nostalgia clouding people's judgement 

Nearly every one of GC's big games has a far superior counterpoint on the Wii.  Not only that but Nintendo had a much greater and more varied output on the Wii as well as better third party games.

Galaxy>Sunshine (2 Galaxy games!)
2d Mario> Nothing to compare!
DKCR> Donkey Konga?

2D platformers were pretty much nonexistent on the GC while Nintendo themselves made Mario, Wario, 2 Kirby games, and DKCR.  People now act like 2d Mario has always been here but 2d games haven't been on consoles in any serious amount since the snes.  You also had third parties like Boy and His Blob.

Sin and Punishment>Starfox Assault
MKwii>MKDD
Metroid Prime>Prime 3>>>>>Prime2    I only give the GC the win because is was the first and revived the franchise
Wii Sports games>Mario Sports games
Skyward Sword>Windwaker
EXCITE games>Wave Race
Red Steel 2>>>Geist

The c-stick was terrible for fps while the remote was the best solution a console has ever had.  And it got fps from every Modern Warfare to Conduit 1 and 2.

Brawl>Melee unless you are tournament obsessed to insane degrees.
Monster Hunter> Nothing to compare
Xenoblade>Baiten Kaitos
Last Story
PUNCHOUT!     Once again GC has nothing.

The return of lightgun games with HoD and the RE games.

That doesn't even get into all the fun niche and experimental games the Wii had.
Elebits- loved it and nothing else like it exists.
Rune Factory
Warioware
Muramasa
Little Kings Story
de Blob
No More Heroes 1 and 2
Madworld
Rhythm Heaven
Skylanders
Endless Ocean
Boomblox
Rockband
It also had games I could play with my family like Just Dance, Wii Fit and the already mentioned Wii Sports.
This is just off the top of my head too.

GC nostalgia case in point.

SS cuts corners by making us visit the same areas again and again.  Oh and it was the guardians and thankfully WW had none of that chore BS.

WW had the most boring and loooong chore of a quest ever when it came to finding the triforce pieces.  You even had to get money to pay to read them before fishing around the world.  Nothing else comes close.  When speaking of cutting corners it also had dungeons obviously entirely cut out.

A person who likes the GC output more than the Wii either has nostalgia goggles on or they hate motion controls to such a degree that it is more important to them than the Wii's superior lineup in all types of games.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:41:32 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 04:24:01 AM »

Wait, but in DD you actually could be the wing man and your dad could drive while you shot the shells. 
That's not the wing man. That's the gunner/navigator seat. In Mario Kart Wii I can actually tell people to "check your 6." That's why it's so much win in multiplayer co-op versus mode.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
Phantasy Star Online is the Monster Hunter of Gamecube.  They are kissing cousins of each other except for the monthly charge.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
Phantasy Star Online is the Monster Hunter of Gamecube.  They are kissing cousins of each other except for the monthly charge.

Did Phantasy Star Online have a single player mode, or was it only online?  My curiosity is growing, but I'm not willing to jump through any hoops (ie: tracking down a GameCube broadband adapter) to get online play working...
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
But, by default, doesn't that make Monster Hunter better?

MH3's gameplay is vastly superior, as well... IMO.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »

Did Phantasy Star Online have a single player mode, or was it only online?  My curiosity is growing, but I'm not willing to jump through any hoops (ie: tracking down a GameCube broadband adapter) to get online play working...

Single-player offline mode. Also, MULTIPLAYER OFFLINE mode with no need for a broadband adapter. It was very addictive.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »
With the Wii, Nintendo proved to me that they are not interested in making classic games anymore, most 3rd parties had already done that by that point.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »
With the Wii, Nintendo proved to me that they are not interested in making classic games anymore, most 3rd parties had already done that by that point.

What does this even mean?  Are you saying Nintendo's first party efforts on Wii aren't going to be considered classics?  Or that they aren't games with a classic style?

In either case, I can't see your claim as reasonable.  Nintendo's return to classic 2D platforming was glorious on Wii, and they didn't sacrifice other genres either with games like Wii Sports, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Galaxy, and Xenoblade Chronicles all standing tall as defining moments in the generation that will be played for years to come.

Maybe you need to clarify what "making classic games" is supposed to mean, or at least give some examples, if you want your opinion to hold more weight.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »

Single-player offline mode. Also, MULTIPLAYER OFFLINE mode with no need for a broadband adapter. It was very addictive.
With the Caveat that going online gets you better stuff much much faster.  Even as a single player game it is still good.

But, by default, doesn't that make Monster Hunter better?

MH3's gameplay is vastly superior, as well... IMO.
Not debating which is better.  Just that they are both filling the same role and close enough to allow them to be checks in a checklist.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »

What does this even mean?  Are you saying Nintendo's first party efforts on Wii aren't going to be considered classics?  Or that they aren't games with a classic style?

In either case, I can't see your claim as reasonable.  Nintendo's return to classic 2D platforming was glorious on Wii, and they didn't sacrifice other genres either with games like Wii Sports, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Galaxy, and Xenoblade Chronicles all standing tall as defining moments in the generation that will be played for years to come.

Maybe you need to clarify what "making classic games" is supposed to mean, or at least give some examples, if you want your opinion to hold more weight.
I really don't see people playing Wii Fit or NSMBWii for the next 20 years.  They're okay games but there's nothing that will make them stand out once the next iteration comes out--and in the case of NSMB, i'd rather just play SMB3 or Mario World instead.  Classic games get played to death, I just haven't done that with ANY Wii game.  I beat Galaxy out of sheer determination despite being annoyed by the terrible camera and spotty controls and couldn't care less about Galaxy 2.  SS just sits unfinished.  It was too awful to bother with.

Metroid has always been a niche title so I doubt that the Prime trilogy is really going to live on as anything other than an entry in an already classic franchise.

XC is a game that Nintendo thought so little of that they weren't going to release it in NA--no one is going to buy a Wii to play it.  A JRPG that gets a limited release probably isn't going to gain any long term traction.  Maybe Nintendo won't botch the release of the next Xeno game and the series unexpectedly takes off.

In 10 years, there is no way you will be playing these games.  I'd be shocked if you were still playing them in 2.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
Galaxy 2 is the best game of this generation and I have no doubt I'll be playing that game for as long as I play games. The original and DKCR as well.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
I really don't see people playing Wii Fit or NSMBWii for the next 20 years.  They're okay games but there's nothing that will make them stand out once the next iteration comes out--and in the case of NSMB, i'd rather just play SMB3 or Mario World instead.  Classic games get played to death, I just haven't done that with ANY Wii game.  I beat Galaxy out of sheer determination despite being annoyed by the terrible camera and spotty controls and couldn't care less about Galaxy 2.  SS just sits unfinished.  It was too awful to bother with.

Metroid has always been a niche title so I doubt that the Prime trilogy is really going to live on as anything other than an entry in an already classic franchise.

XC is a game that Nintendo thought so little of that they weren't going to release it in NA--no one is going to buy a Wii to play it.  A JRPG that gets a limited release probably isn't going to gain any long term traction.  Maybe Nintendo won't botch the release of the next Xeno game and the series unexpectedly takes off.

In 10 years, there is no way you will be playing these games.  I'd be shocked if you were still playing them in 2.

So what you're saying is you're psychic and know exactly what games other people will be playing in the future?  Wow, you must be a millionaire since you can see all the future winning lottery numbers.  ::)
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
Galaxy 2 is the best game of this generation and I have no doubt I'll be playing that game for as long as I play games. The original and DKCR as well.
I'm being serious when I ask: Why?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »
@ luigi dude
you don't have to be psychic to make very reasonable predictions, but thanks for being a dick about it.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:04:34 PM by marty »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »

Why what? Why would I want to continue playing the best console game in recent memory and one of the best games I've ever played? That seems like an odd question.

J.P. Corbran

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »

Why what? Why would I want to continue playing the best console game in recent memory and one of the best games I've ever played? That seems like an odd question.
I hardly find it odd.  I found galaxy 1 to be a game with little depth and, camera and control issues aside, not much challenge.  I found it rather tedious and haven't touched it in 4 years or so.  The idea of playing any more of it seems like a fruitless endeavor.  More power to you, if you're one of the people that is devoted to it, i guess.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 03:35:41 PM »
Hey dude, guess what? Not everyone has the same opinions as you. Hell, I enjoy the original Super Mario Bros. a lot because it's tough, but aside from that, I don't find myself playing it over and over. It's a classic. I enjoy New Super Mario Bros. Wii because I first played through with a friend. The ability to play it again with other people and assist them, or even tackle it on my own (which is a lot tougher) provides a good deal of enjoyment to me.

Likewise, the novelty of playing with a Wii Wheel will never wear off to me. As for DKCR, I'll probably play that game forever because it's hard as balls. I'll play Skyward Sword for the first foray into motion gaming, I'll play Xenoblade Chronicles because it's already one of my favorite games of all time, just like how I come back and play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, or when I pop in Super Mario Sunshine to see how fast I can ace one of those levels.

Some people play the same games to recapture that feeling of nostalgia, some people play them because they love the mechanics implemented. It's not up to you you judge them for it.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 04:06:17 PM »
@ luigi dude
you don't have to be psychic to make very reasonable predictions, but thanks for being a dick about it.

Oh please, your whole argument is since you don't like certain games on the Wii everyone else on the planet doesn't like them either.  If you can't even understand why people are considering both Mario Galaxy games classics that will be remembered for years, even though they are two of the highest rated games of all time with a 97% average each, then you have a problem.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 04:17:19 PM »
Hey dude, guess what? Not everyone has the same opinions as you. Hell, I enjoy the original Super Mario Bros. a lot because it's tough, but aside from that, I don't find myself playing it over and over. It's a classic. I enjoy New Super Mario Bros. Wii because I first played through with a friend. The ability to play it again with other people and assist them, or even tackle it on my own (which is a lot tougher) provides a good deal of enjoyment to me.

Likewise, the novelty of playing with a Wii Wheel will never wear off to me. As for DKCR, I'll probably play that game forever because it's hard as balls. I'll play Skyward Sword for the first foray into motion gaming, I'll play Xenoblade Chronicles because it's already one of my favorite games of all time, just like how I come back and play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, or when I pop in Super Mario Sunshine to see how fast I can ace one of those levels.

Some people play the same games to recapture that feeling of nostalgia, some people play them because they love the mechanics implemented. It's not up to you you judge them for it.
I appreciate the spirited response but I fail to see where I'm judging people for what they play.  I like games with precise controls.  Nintendo went in another direction with most Wii games.  I don't care about SMG, most Wii owners didn't either.  Even less cared about SMG2-- it would be unreasonable to believe that those games are going to get more popular with time when the sequel sold less than the original.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »
@ luigi dude

Oh please, your whole argument is since you don't like certain games on the Wii everyone else on the planet doesn't like them either.  If you can't even understand why people are considering both Mario Galaxy games classics that will be remembered for years, even though they are two of the highest rated games of all time with a 97% average each, then you have a problem.
Sales back up my opinion.  The hype industry backs yours.  I'll trust my opinion on this one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Sales don't make a game a classic; quality does. Quality is subjective, but the fact that the Galaxy games are tied for best Metacritic score of this generation means that there are a lot of people who think they're high quality. You don't have to like them, but you need to be able to acknowledge that most people who played them do.

J.P. Corbran