Author Topic: Which was better: GameCube or Wii?  (Read 37187 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Which was better: GameCube or Wii?
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 04:42:19 PM »
The Wii, because you could play Gamecube AND Wii games on it.  Also virtual console.

I think for the purposes of this discussion we're ignoring the backward compatibility of the Wii. Of course if you factor that in the Wii wins.

Oh sure, let's narrow the discussion!

I guess if I HAD to choose between the two, then it would lean towards the Wii.  I just got a lot more mileage overall from the Wii than Gamecube.  While Gamecube has some of my favorite games (Rogue Leader, Double Dash, ) and some awesome compilations (Mega Man Collection, Sonic collections, Zelda Anniversary collection), the only one that got near as much playtime for me was Super Smash Bros Melee, and that's just because I was in college at the time and lived with a "tourney" Melee-er.

That, and the virtual console allowed me to try some classic games I wouldn't have bothered to if I was forced to find them out in the wild.  I hope they expand on it for the Wii U.

Maybe my experience is also tempered by the fact that I haven't played THAT many Gamecube games.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:48:09 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
Even if we count the Wii's backwards compatibility (which is unfair really, was the Atari 7800 better than the Atari 2600 since it's backwards compatible?) I still prefer the Cube because of the Game Boy library.  You just put Link's Awakening and Pokemon into the comparison.  That ain't going to do the Wii no favours. ;)

I did my comparison of first party lineups but I notice some are bringing up third party games.  Well that REALLY tips things in the favour of the Cube.  Now we have to include Rogue Leader and the Resident Evil games on the Cube side and IKARUGA.

But we're talking the games output so including backwards compatibility is stupid.  Same with the VC and same with re-releases.  None of those were originally made for the Wii.  If the Wii never existed those games still would have been made.  The Wii brought us Super Mario Galaxy and DKC Returns.  Those games were made for the Wii so they properly represent the system.  Super Metroid isn't a Wii game just because it's on the VC.  It's a Super Nintendo game.  It represents what the Super Nintendo brought to gaming.  If the Wii's big contribution to gaming is Gamecube backwards compatibility, the ability to download old games, and the ability to add waggle to Gamecube games that's a pretty lame contribution.  No, it is the games designed for the system (or included in simultaneous multiplatform development because games like Soul Calibur II and Prince of Persia deserve to be counted as Cube games; as would Twilight Princess for both the Cube and Wii) that define it.

If you were to ask "what would be the better purchase if you buy only one?" then a backwards compatible Wii would be the better suggestion because of the VC alone.  But that's really just asking which system has better access to games.  A BC compatible PS3 would also be a fantastic buy but I wouldn't argue that that is a better system than the PS1 or 2.  Now that digital downloads are the norm for consoles I can see each new generation of consoles having a wider selection of games from previous generations on it BUT that really wouldn't make those systems the best ever.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
It's interesting how some believe that Nintendo was taking chances with the cube and less with the Wii.  Then there are others who think the creativity came to a halt on the cube and was rekindled on the Wii.

Yeah, I think it's pretty awesome to step back and realize that. I mean, we're all Nintendo fans, but we DO have our differences in game tastes, in why we are here, and what we like, or don't like, most about the company. We can have some pretty strong and epic and brutal differences of opinion, but it's also a wonderful thing that we can acknowledge that we have our strong differences yet still share that connection through Nintendo.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Though I do think its interesting that Regarding the Gamecube people are going for Different games compared to the Wii where a lot of people are just naming the same few.

Also don't forget Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7 (Though I never actually played the game even though I bought a copy for my brother and bought a copy for the retroactive.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
If you want an comparrision list is terms of quality:

The GC has 156 games with an 75%+ rankings vs 97 on the WII.  Out of those, 52  on the GC recieved an 85% + vs only 25 on the WII?  (These numbers are from gamerankings.com in case you wondering).

Of course if differs by region since a ton of games never made it stateside like Tales of Graces for the WII.  Boo, nothing I can do about that.

The WII did have built in networking so for mulitplaying games it's bested the GC but it still doesn't compare to what sony or ms is offering.

--------------------------------------

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »
It's interesting how some believe that Nintendo was taking chances with the cube and less with the Wii.  Then there are others who think the creativity came to a halt on the cube and was rekindled on the Wii. 

Though when you think about it, the Wii was one of the biggest chances they've ever taken.

From the business perspective the Wii was initialy a huge gamble.  Though I find that once it took off Nintendo ceased to do anything risky with it.  Once they had a comfortable lead they played it safe the rest of the way.

Regarding games I find Nintendo talked about being creativity a lot on the Wii and it had this newfangled controller which certainly is new and creative.  But I found in the execution Nintendo's Wii titles were rarely creative.  Waggle isn't creative or at least isn't in a GOOD way.  Now Wii Sports is really creative but I also don't think it's very good and a common complaint of mine was that Nintendo put creativity into their casual games but no so much their core games.  What good is them being creative if it has no effect on the games designed for my tastes?

Nintendo talking about creativity and promising the moon with motion control makes my criticism increase.  If you're going to talk endlessly about it, you better deliver.  On the Cube I had a lot of criticism about connectivity for many of the same reasons I'm harsh on motion control.  They acted like connectivity was this amazing idea and that would even make up for the lack of online play.  That was bullshit and that made it worse.  Connectivity then isn't just some lame Nintendo idea, it's an example of marketing propoganda and that attracts more fury from me (ironic that Four Swords is one of my favourite Cube games; hey, they got it right once).

Nintendo said "hey this motion control thing is awesome and creative and is going to result in all sorts of new ideas.  And you're getting this INSTEAD of a meaningful hardware upgrade.  This and THIS ALONE is the entire justification for this to even be a new system."  That really raises the stakes.  They failed to deliver so on the Wii "creativity" or "innovation" are bullshit marketing terms to me.  Nintendo's creativity on the Wii comess across to me mostly as all talk.  I just don't see it in their output.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
I remember a time here on the forums and the school yard where it seemed like Nintendo could do nothing right in the GameCube days. All we talked about was how Nintendo could make its franchises more mature after Sunshines commercial hit. Many of us here constantly complained that the GameCube controller didn't work well for traditional fighters, Nintendo wanted the rest of the industry to see it as the standard but that hardly took off. In everyone Else's mind the GCN controller was a joke, no matter how good it actually was. We got a handful of good 3rd parties but I'm pretty sure there were more on wii. If people want 3rd parties they have to accept that the cube controller has to go, at least for a while.

Sunshine was Mario's lowest point, the graphics weren't that hot, everyone(generalizing) but me hated fludd and wanted nothing but The Secret of levels with orchestrated music. Both galaxies blew it out of the water and the majority of the stages were linear like a 2d Mario, but when we got it some people still complained, though it was still universally accepted unlike sunshine. Pointer controls worked for star dragging and yoshis tongue, even acknowledged by Ian at one point, wii wins this one by a land slide.

Star Fox became the devil during the GameCube era. I would normally say something is better than nothing but the GameCube killed star fox. Winner, no one.

Donkey Kong Jungle was amazing! I mean even better than amazing and the controlls were even more responsive than returns but still some wouldn't play it. The game was way too short though and DKCR made Dk as fun as jungle beat with co-op and a major challenge. I understand some didn't like the shake to pound or roll, but it hardly made the game unplayable, and it is a blast. Wii wins this one, but only by a bit.

Pikmin was introduced and I place it on par with Xenoblade. A tie.

F-Zero was too epic outside of the story mode and nothing on the wii fills this void. Winner GCN.

Smash Bros was equal for both. Tie.

Mario Kart DD was the worst piece of crap to grace a Nintendo console. No online, LAN was near impossible and the game was just so slow and ugly. Mario Kart Wii had decent online, speed and fun optional controlls. Still ugly though, but it wins by a land slide.

Punch out revived for Wii which was basically a remade SNES version right? I honestly don't know, but people like me who never played any of them were in for a treat. This somewhat balances out Wario World. Winner wii.

Metroid Prime 1 was too amazing! Prime 3 evolved the series with controls and narrative but nothing is like the new experience of the first. Winner GCN.

Zelda... I don't see why Wind Waker is getting such high praise unless I am just confusing users here. Art style and control was amazing of course, but what about the lack of dungeons, stealth, all the sailing with pea sized islands, absolutely no challenge, then to top it off the triforce hunt? It may be cool to love Wind Waker now, but please don't forget those things when comparing it to SS. I love Wind Waker even with all it's flaws, but to pretend like it so vastly superior to SS in any way but art design is just laughable. TP is the devil and doesn't count. SS had motion controlles that worked with puzzles and enemies that actually made people think, that alone was enough to by pass its own lengthy travel system. Winner Wii.

Wii had 2 Kirby Games. Winner wii.

Animal crossing was the same game from the GameCube right? Winner GameCube. That was just lazy.

That's all I can really remember for 1st party.

For 3rd party the main game was Resident Evil, remake, 0 and 4. Then there was killer7 which didn't do so hot but was great. After that there's Tales Of, Baten Kaitos(wait 1st party?), Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, time splitters 2 and by 3 it was a joke. Soul Calibur 2 and nothing else note worthy fighter wise.

This gen... No more heroes, tales of, that black and white Sega game, Sonic Colors, S.O.L. Calibur, Conduit, Goldeneye, Zak and Wiki, Capcom vs Tatsunoko, and call of duty. It's a pretty even trade for a lame amount of 3rd party software.

I don't see the big difference between the 2 consoles except we got a 2d Mario and not every party game for Wii was titled Mario Party. The motion controlles don't break the Wii games, and during the GameCube days Nintendo did everything they could to make their franchises "different" since they had pretty much run out of ideas at the time. Other companies making their franchises, and having odd or sometimes questionable gameplay elements proves it. Water packs, bongos, Namco, Sega, double riders, art style, first person, some amazing and some purely cosmetic. I regard that no different than the Wii.

To me it's pretty much equal and what everyone really missed out on was graphics and convenient online.

Sent from iPad.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »
Even if we count the Wii's backwards compatibility ...

I did my comparison of first party lineups but I notice some are bringing up third party games.  Well that REALLY tips things in the favour of the Cube.  Now we have to include Rogue Leader and the Resident Evil games on the Cube side and IKARUGA.

But we're talking the games output so including backwards compatibility is stupid.  Same with the VC and same with re-releases.  ...

You are talking in circles.

If you don't want to count remakes and re-releases then Resident Evil and Ikaruga don't hold any weight at all when arguing for GameCube.  But of course these games do count - access to good games always matters, always makes a console more appealing, especially when those games are improved in a meaningful way like the Resident Evil Remake.

That accessibility is also why Virtual Console has to count. It provides the only way for many people to legally experience gaming classics today - and without Virtual Console I wouldn't have had the opportunity to play dozens of classic games like Super Metroid, Rondo of Blood, and Monster World 4.

Though I do think its interesting that Regarding the Gamecube people are going for Different games compared to the Wii where a lot of people are just naming the same few.

Good time to throw this link out again:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=38337.0

Same few?  People might be talking about the absolute best games on Wii - the games that are indisputable classics and going to represent some of the best games of this generation in their respective genres, but there is no lack of solid gaming on Wii.

If you want an comparrision list is terms of quality:

The GC has 156 games with an 75%+ rankings vs 97 on the WII.  Out of those, 52  on the GC recieved an 85% + vs only 25 on the WII?  (These numbers are from gamerankings.com in case you wondering).

These are interesting numbers, but more interesting is trying to decipher what aggregated review scores really mean.  Does having 6 Madden games rated 82 or higher make the GameCube a better system than Wii, which has only one scraping the 82 rating?  Guess that depends on how much you like Madden, and whether you agree with the reviewers in the first place...
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
Animal crossing was the same game from the GameCube right? Winner GameCube. That was just lazy.

Did you play the game on both systems? You could claim that the Wii version was a rehash of the DS version, and that would mostly be true. But the Wii version has a lot of differences from the GameCube original.

The most important of those changes were improvements to the controls that made the game much easier and more convenient to play. (Edit: In particular, typing messages and using menus were much more effective on Wii than with the GameCube; you could easily argue that it was just better user interface design instead of anything to do with hardware though.) Going back to the GameCube version now is slow and painful to say the least...

Personally I'd suggest no clear winner, but that's just my opinion.  But I'd also recommend the Wii version over the GameCube version 100% of the time if asked because of the greatly improved control scheme - so take this comment for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:36:06 PM by ejamer »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
Even if we count the Wii's backwards compatibility (which is unfair really, was the Atari 7800 better than the Atari 2600 since it's backwards compatible?) I still prefer the Cube because of the Game Boy library.  You just put Link's Awakening and Pokemon into the comparison.  That ain't going to do the Wii no favours. ;)

If we were comparing the Playstation 2 to the Playstation 3, would we not be allowed to consider PSN's PS1 Classics & original games?  Couldn't consider the DSiWare & Game boy ports when comparing the 3DS to GBA?  In my opinion, the download services are just as much a part of what defines the system as the hardware itself.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »
Ian, normally I'd agree that you have to give precedence to the original version of the game, but the Wii versions of Pikmin 1+2, Metroid Prime 1+2 and Resident Evil 4 dramatically changed those games, in my opinion for the better. Pikmin 2 is one of my all-time favorite games, but I will most likely never play my GameCube copy of it again because of the vast improvement the Wii controls make. Doesn't that count for something?

I'm not going to deny that motion controls have caused problems by being used inappropriately, but you can't ignore the good aspects of the Wii controls, both in terms of the pointer, which is phenomenal in the right context, and motion controls, which in the relatively few instances they were used right really enhanced the games. The Wii version of Tiger Woods PGA Tour (post M+) is the best version of the game because of how well it implements motion controls.

Maybe I'm just different from a lot of people, but I found waggle to not be a major issue in most cases. The one major exception to that would be DKCR, but in something like the Mario games I never found it to be a real problem.

Again the purpose of this thread wasn't to try to come up with a winner, but to have an honest discussion about things, and I'd like to thank most of you for staying mature about this. It seems like we have a good mix of opinions regarding this, with people bringing a lot of solid points for both sides. This is the kind of thread that makes me proud of these forums, because it didn't collapse into petty bickering like it would on a lot of other forums. You guys have proven once again how great a community this is.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
My Games Count (Retail Releases Only)
GameCube: 61
Wii: 58

I enjoyed the GameCube era more. Let me explain...

For me, the 'Cube era was a rekindling of the fire that the SuperNES brought to my doorstep. Everything from the silky smooth controller...to having a powerful graphics chip...to a surplus of great third-party games (minus all the awesome JRPGs of long ago). Microsoft boldly and conceitedly announced that their console was the only one that could do fur effects and certain water texturing that gen. Then Rare and Nintendo let out a big "Screw you, Microsoft" and created one of my favorite games of that generation -- Star Fox Adventures. Crazy fur effects and realistic water abound. It was great!

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but of my 61 'Cube games, the majority of them ARE third-party games. And these games are distinctly why I love my 'Cube oh-so much more than the Wii. Yes, No More Heroes, MadWorld, Zack & Wiki, and various other third-party games are great fun... but they DO NOT compare to the magic and smooth gameplay, and most importantly - fantastic, solid play-control, that games such as Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System, Second Sight, Beyond Good & Evil, MGS: The Twin Snakes, Viewtiful Joe, and Rogue Leader conjured up.

I'm also a huge fight game fan (nowhere near as much as Ty, tho :P), and games like Soul Calibur II and Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO were all that much better on the 'Cube compared to its rivals' counterparts. Plus, I own all of the Naruto: Geiktou Ninja Taisen games - I almost prefer these games over Smash Bros.! Crazy. But they're SO good. That same experience cannot be found on the Wii. Even as much as I do like Guilty Gear XX Accent Core... but still. :P

As far as Nintendo's own games go... and you guys might lambaste me for this...

I was absolutely stoked and thrilled for Luigi's Mansion at launch. I much preferred this game over any of the Marios on Wii. It was breathtaking to see a new creative idea using a Mario Bros. character in a totally new way. I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan, and so this game was a dream come true. I've probably played through Luigi's Mansion four or five times, and completed every single task on each run through... compared to my single play-through of each Mario game on Wii - and NOT doing every possible task in-game. I just got bored of the monotony. And that tacked on waggle for the spin in the Galaxy games... ugh. :/

Battalion Wars was a godsend for me that gen, too. Yes, there's BW2 on Wii.. but still, to this day, I've yet to finish the game because there's something about that Wii remote that drives me bonkers... makes me NOT want to have long play-throughs of games. It's disheartening. But anyhoo, yes! I loved BW. Such a smooth game to play on the 'Cube... and I loved that "Nintendo" touch of playing an semi-RTS, too. So good. Same goes for Pikmin... huge fan of those games during that era, too.

The only game series I can honestly say I preferred playing on Wii was Smash Bros. - Brawl, of course. And my only reasoning for it is simply because I was able to patch the game myself. Brawl+ and Project M brought new life into a semi-broken game and made it wholly wonderful again... but of course... I played this game using... yup. GameCube controllers! So would you really consider it a Wii game by that account?

And Zelda. Hmmm... this one's been a rough ride for me. I loved Skyword Sword immensely (more so than any of the other 3D Zelda's...except one), but Wind Waker was meh to me. Not because of the graphical style - which I was incredibly furious about when that trailer was first released. >:/ But mainly because, as others have already mentioned, the devs kinda puttered out on developing a FULL Zelda game with WW. I was just very disappointed by the whole matter. That ending, though... wow, that ending. Majora's Mask is still my favorite, though. Too bad that game wasn't pushed further back and re-imagined on the 'Cube. I would've been down for that.

Xenoblade is the one shining beacon of light for the Wii, though. I have to give the console credit where it's due when it comes to that game. And I'm also eagerly awaiting The Last Story and Pandora's Tower, too. There's still a little life left in the Wii...

I just don't find it as exhilarating as the good ol' GameCube days were. F-Zero GX, Wave Race: Blue Storm... wow. So many great memories!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 11:55:39 PM »
The reason I think I'd put the Wii slightly above the Gamecube is that the experiences on the Wii felt fresh.  Most of the games on Gamecube were just a continuation of what had been released on N64.  Obviously there were improvements and innovations and so on but it wasn't that different.  The Wii, on the other hand, provided a completely fresh experience.  It may not have worked as well as it should have in some cases and the motion controls may have been forced into some games when there was no need, but when it worked well it was fun.  I don't think I could ever go back to playing a golf game without motion controls, actually swinging is so much more fun than just pushing buttons.  The Wii Sports games were a blast, bowling was just as fun as actual bowling without the funny shoes.  Wii Fit and the balance board provided another unique control option.  It wasn't used in as many games as I was hoping but using it for snowboarding was fun.  Simple uses of the pointer like in Galaxy and Link's Crossbow Training may not have been all that innovative but still felt fresh and fun.

I don't know if I'm necessarily answering the question that was asked because I could definitely see myself arguing that the Gamecube was "better" but I think I had more fun with the Wii.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »
I love the Wii but I'd give the edge to the GameCube. I think some of it has to do with where I was in life. I played and replayed more games when GameCube came out. Still, what it really comes down to is that GameCube did more first or better. Metroid Prime 3 is a better overall game than the original Prime but it benefits greatly from what Retro Studios learned from making the 1st 2 games. Metroid Prime is one of those few games that really wowed me. Those games don't come around very often. GameCube had 2: the aforementioned Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4. The Wii version is the best version of the game but I can only experience it for the 1st time once. The Wii doesn't have one of those types of games. To be fair, only Uncharted 2: Among Thieves holds the distinction this generation of a game that really, really wowed me.

Anyway, (not counting absences) the Wii only beats GameCube in terms of Mario, Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong. That's not a knock on Jungle Beat which was excellent; I just liked Returns more. That was the only close one. The GameCube did everything else better. Twilight Princess is slightly better on the Wii due to aiming but that's a wash.  The Wind Waker mops the floor with Skyward Sword. WW is far from my favorite Zelda but it less flawed than SS, if that makes sense. The only thing it did wrong was (ironically) the ocean.

There is no Wii equivalent to Skies of Arcadia Legend which I know is pretty much just a director's cut of a Dreamcast game but I'm counting it.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
There is no Wii equivalent to Skies of Arcadia Legend which I know is pretty much just a director's cut of a Dreamcast game but I'm counting it.

I wish that I could find a copy of this game at a semi-reasonable price. Baten Kaitos Origins too.

It's a shame that both Wii and GameCube had a limited RPG library, but the few RPGs they did get were littered with gems!

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
I mean, I love my Wii, but the GCN had Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, which is arguably my favorite RPG of all time.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
If you don't want to count remakes and re-releases then Resident Evil and Ikaruga don't hold any weight at all when arguing for GameCube.  But of course these games do count - access to good games always matters, always makes a console more appealing, especially when those games are improved in a meaningful way like the Resident Evil Remake.

I didn't say "Resident Evil Remake", I said "Resident Evil games".  Resident Evil 0 & 4 were NEW games created specifically for the Gamecube.  Ikaruga is tricky since at the time the Cube version was the ONLY way to get the game in North America.  In North America it was a Gamecube exclusive.  You can discount it if you want but then I guess Animal Crossing doesn't count either since it's originally a Japan-only N64 game.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »
Sunshine was Mario's lowest point, the graphics weren't that hot, everyone(generalizing) but me hated fludd
I honestly stopped reading there.  I liked fludd and thought he was a good solution to a 3D problem.

You have to be joking on the graphics right?

Sunshine and Galaxy really aren't that far apart and in some areas of Sunshine if you didn't know better you think graphically they were the same game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
Am I the only person that loved Double Dash and hated Mario Kart Wii?  DD always felt like skill was more important whereas MKW always felt like it was the luck of the draw if you were to win.  And even though you could use the GCN controller to play MKW, it wasn't built for that, so the precision driving really meant nothing in that game.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »
The Wii is easily the better system.  It had more games I was interested in and more games I felt were better quality wise as well.

For Mario platformers it's no contest, the Wii has both Galaxy games which are lightyears ahead of Sunshine and has a great 2D Mario which is something the Gamecube never had.  Yes, I still enjoyed Sunshine but the Galaxy games had a much wider variety of gameplay which is what I want in Mario games vs Sunshine which lacked it.  Mario Kart Wii is also much better then Double Dash which is the worst home console Mario Kart because they butchered the multiplayer with the battle stages being too damn small and poorly designed.  Of course the Gamecube did have the much better Paper Mario with Thousand Year Door while I fond Super Paper Mario to be kind of poor and way too damn tedious.  Not really a big fan of the other Mario related games so I can't compare them but for the ones I am a fan of, except for Paper Mario the Wii has the better Mario games.

For Zelda it's kind of equal to me.  The Gamecube had two 3D Zelda games and one 2D game while the Wii only had one 3D Zelda.  I bought Twilight Princess for the Gamecube so I consider it a Gamecube game when I compare the systems.  Of course the Wii's one Zelda Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game which is why both systems are equal for this series to me.  The Gamecube might have had more Zelda games but the one the Wii had was better then any of them.

For Smash Bros, Brawl is much better then Melee.  More characters, more stages that are better then their Melee counterparts (I actually enjoy the more chaotic nature of Brawl's stages because it makes each matches more exciting to me) and the greatest soundtrack ever made.

For Kirby the Wii is also the clear winner.  The Wii not only had a great traditional Kirby game, but a great spinoff in Epic Yarn as well.  The only Kirby game the Gamecube had was a racing spinoff that had some interesting things going for it, but wasn't very good.  I'll take a great traditional Kirby and another great spinoff platformer over a subpar racing spinoff anyday.

For Wario games the Wii once again wins easily.  Wario Land: Shake is not just a lightyear ahead of Wario World, in in a whole different universe.  Wario World is a f*cking disgrace to the Wario series and Treasure should feel ashamed of themselves for making something so sh!tty.  Shake on the other hand is not only the best Wario Land game, but one of the greatest 2D platformers ever made.  When we look at the Wario Ware series, the Wii basically wins by default.  The Gamecube Wario Ware was just a lazy port of the first GBA game with 4-player multiplayer, while Smooth Moves was at least a completely new game.

For Metroid it's like Zelda again where both systems are about equal.  The Gamecube might have had two Metroid Prime games but Prime 3 for the Wii is my favorite of the series.  The Wii also had Other M which isn't anywhere close to the quality of any of the Prime games, but still a good game that was worth playing.

For Donkey Kong, I'd give Gamecube a slight edge in this category.  Even though I like both Jungle Beat and DKCR, I had more fun with Jungle Beat because I enjoyed it's unique gameplay and crazier levels more then what was in Returns.

For series that had no counterparts on each system, the Gamecube had two Star Fox, two Pikmin and F-Zero.  Of course the two Star Fox for the Gamecube weren't very good so I wouldn't consider either game a plus.  Both Pikmin games were also ported to the Wii but for sake of comparison, I'll give the Gamecube both game.  For the Wii, it had Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment 2, Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven.  Sin and Punishment 2 and Xenoblade are both better then either of the Pikmin or F-Zero GX, so the Wii wins in the miscellaneous category.

Now we go to third party games were the Wii wins once again.  The best third party game for the Gamecube was Resident Evil 4 which the Wii has the better version of.  Unlike Twilight Princess or the NPC Pikmin games that were the same as their Gamecube counterpart with Wii controls, RE4 Wii Edition actually has the new content the PS2 version added.  It actually has things the Gamecube version doesn't which makes it a fair comparison since it is an actual different game in ways other then just controls.  Even without RE4, the Wii still has a much better selection of third party titles.  The Wii had a lot more unique Japanese games which is the type of third party games I prefer which is why the Wii's third party lineup was much more appealing to me then the Gamecube was.  There's also a ton of great Wii Ware games that the Gamecube had nothing similar to which once again, give the Wii a huge edge.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Am I the only person that loved Double Dash and hated Mario Kart Wii?  DD always felt like skill was more important whereas MKW always felt like it was the luck of the draw if you were to win.  And even though you could use the GCN controller to play MKW, it wasn't built for that, so the precision driving really meant nothing in that game.

No, I preferred MK Double Dash over MK Wii as well.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »

No, I preferred MK Double Dash over MK Wii as well.
Same.  My wife got my MK Wii and I've only played it 1 night...

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
Ehh... Mario Kart DD didn't really give me any fun in MP mode. The Wii version did, and it was the first time I actually had fun in VERSUS mode in a Mario Kart game (4-player team co-op versus computers? SIGN ME UP!!!).
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »
I don't really think Mario Kart Wii or DD are particularly impressive.  They're competent but aren't exceptional games.  People still play SMK to this day but no one really plays DD and I figure no one will play MK Wii when the Wii U Mario Kart comes out.  The best way to describe these games would be "the Mario Kart game for that console".

I like DD better however because Nintendo has moved the series more and more into one that punishes skill and maintains "balance" through random chaos.  They want someone who has never played Mario Kart in his life to be able to win some races against experienced players and will give him game breaking power-ups to do it.  Nintendo seems to think that everyone winning sometimes, regardless of how well they play is more fun and inclusive.  I see it as pointless.  Might as well roll dice or flip coins.  Mario Kart Wii pushes this approach further than DD did so I consider it the inferior game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
MKWii lets you turn off items in multiplayer, at least locally, which turns the game into 100% skill-based.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent