Author Topic: Which was better: GameCube or Wii?  (Read 37188 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Which was better: GameCube or Wii?
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
Ian made a comment in another thread that got me thinking. He stated, quite definitively, that the GameCube's software lineup was superior to that of the Wii. I wanted to respond to that, because I wasn't sure I agreed with that, but I'm separating the discussion into its own thread because I think this could be a deep and interesting discussion and didn't want to derail that thread too much.

So what do you think? Comparing Nintendo's output on the systems, there are significant differences in how they approached them; there are franchises that only appear on one of the two, highlighting the different things Nintendo emphasized in these time frames.

This isn't meant to be a thread about hating on the decisions Nintendo has made. I'm genuinely curious to see what everyone thinks about this as we approach the end of the Wii's life. Please keep it civil, as I know there are people who feel very strongly both ways.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Which was better: GameCube or Wii?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
Hey, this is clearly a Poll and you didn't put a Poll up.  There is a rule about Non-Poll Polls.

Anyways,  I would have to say Gamecube.  Don't get me wrong I like my Wii, but even now I'm still buying Gamecube games I've wanted.  The last Wii game I got was Mario Kart, and I have to be honest, I was disappointed in recieving it (My Wife got it for me for Valentine day instead of Mario Kart 7.  She means well.)  Before that was Punch-Out which should have been a download title and before that was Skyward Sword simply because I wanted to talk to people here about it.  Contrast that with the Gamecube where it was money and time that stopped me from getting a lot of different games through its life.

Gamecube just had better games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »

I didn't want a poll, I wanted a discussion. I don't want people just to vote, I want them to argue their side and try to convince people of their point. Also, **** the rules; I'm above the law and can do whatever I want. :P

The main issue I have is that the primary reasons I'm inclined to want to say GameCube, the Pikmin and Metroid Prime games, were rereleased on the Wii in superior form. I'm not sure how to count that. Pikmin was initially a GameCube game, but if I go back and play it or its sequel I would undoubtedly be playing the Wii New Play Control versions, because they improve the games significantly. Likewise, I'd never want to play Metroid Prime without pointer aiming ever again.

Apart from that I'd say the Cube wins at Zelda (Wind Waker > Skyward Sword) but the Wii wipes the floor with the GC in terms of Mario. The more I think about this, the more I want to say Wii.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »

I didn't want a poll, I wanted a discussion. I don't want people just to vote, I want them to argue their side and try to convince people of their point. Also, **** the rules; I'm above the law and can do whatever I want. :P

The main issue I have is that the primary reasons I'm inclined to want to say GameCube, the Pikmin and Metroid Prime games, were rereleased on the Wii in superior form. I'm not sure how to count that. Pikmin was initially a GameCube game, but if I go back and play it or its sequel I would undoubtedly be playing the Wii New Play Control versions, because they improve the games significantly. Likewise, I'd never want to play Metroid Prime without pointer aiming ever again.

Apart from that I'd say the Cube wins at Zelda (Wind Waker > Skyward Sword) but the Wii wipes the floor with the GC in terms of Mario. The more I think about this, the more I want to say Wii.
I really liked Sunshine.  Unfortunately it introduced Bowser Jr. which I despise with the passion of a thousand suns.  I might agree with the Metroid Prime thing except I was tending to my son at that time and didn't see they were released and they are way way to much now to own.  They might as well not exist.  Pikmin I never got around to playing on any of the systems.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:40:11 PM »
The Wii, because you could play Gamecube AND Wii games on it.  Also virtual console.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
Well, in terms of really pushing the envelope, the GC did better. Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Melee, Sunshine, Wind Waker... they were all really good games that altered the formula and did what their predecessor's couldn't do WAY better. All a matter of preference, of course- Sunshine is way better than Galaxy, in my opinion. But I think that the Wii polished the SD graphics and design pretty much to perfection, and there's no doubt that it did have great titles.

I enjoy my Wii games more than my GC ones, but GC had a really solid lineup. I'm very torn on the subject.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
Well I'm not going to argue my side, cause it's just my opinion. I enjoyed the gamecube era much more than the Wii era.  That's not exactly rose tinted glasses either. Honestly it comes down to just time spent playing.  My wii actually detracts me from playing with motion controls.

Skyward sword is the one and only zelda game I have never finished.  The motions controls bothered me that much, along with it's very linear experience. Especially since about the end of last year and beginning of this year I had a hurt wrist where I could not be waggling.

Now that my wrist is better and I can do that.  I still have problems going back to the game.  It just felt so guided and on rails.  I'm just not a fan, personally.   The same goes for Mario Sunshine.  I actually liked it better than galaxies.  Although Galaxy two was really nice.. I like the exploring and such.  Both the Galaxy series, and Skyward sword kinda took that away for me.  Sure you can explore, but not as much.  They both feel much more guided.

Throw in some of the other gamecube games.  My first exposure to Animal Crossing.  Smash Bros Melee, Windwaker and twilight princess,  Rogue Squadron , Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, Mario Kart Double Dash, are just to name a few.

Those are all games that I played through from start to finish and then some.   I can't say the same for Wii. Sure I enjoyed New Super Mario Bro's and Donkey Kong Country Returns..  And there are lots of good games on Wii.  Half the time though I am a little put off by what feels like forced motion controls. Not saying that motion controls are bad either, I just hate when it's forced. So much of what was done on the wii could be replicated on a standard controller. Pretty much everything but the IR fuctionality of the pointer.

I honestly would have rather played Skyward Sword with a standard controller and used the second joystick + a shoulder button to dictate what direction the sword would swing.  Plus there is also the limited space thing with motion controls.  More often than not I am routing my console games to my desk's computer monitor to play.  I usually pipe the games audio in through my computers sound card, so I can continue to take calls on skype or other voip.  I cannot imagine playing a wii game here two and half feet from my monitor.. I would probably knock my desk microphone and send my other stuff flying.

Over all it really came down to personal preference.  The gamecube was just a much better gaming system for me.  It had more traditional controls. (I <3 my wavebird) Plus at the time it was around I actually had someone else around that liked to come play video games with me.  No telling how much time I spent playing Melee, and Double Dash with my father.  He has passed away though in 2004.  Currently I don't really know anyone who likes to take part in such things anymore.  Not locally at least. 

So overall the gamecube was just much better for me. Games a bit more suited toward me, controls more suited toward me, time era more suited for me for local multiplayer, just over all was a better experience.

Also don't want anyone to think I hate my wii for saying that.  Just saying that when it comes down to the two, I had much more love for my gamecube than my wii.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »
With the amount of complaining, gnashing of teeth, and apocalyptic rage, I can't believe either one would win. You could show a game wall of text for each one to prove one is better, but obviously Mario is better on Wii, I personally enjoyed TP over WW (and, bonus, we got SS!); Metroid Prime 1+2 was far better than 3. GC had F0, but on Wii you could download the old ones. Jungle Beat and DKCR.. it seems like somewhat of a wash in terms of franchises.

I know my anticipation for Gamecube games was far greater because it was before I got all old and crusty, but third parties made a lot more appealing games to me back then as well. I could go to a game store right now and pick up dozens of games for Gamecube that I never got around to that I would definitely like to play; I don't think I can say that about Wii. For that reason I would go with Gamecube. Plus it's so CUTE and made up of a cube!
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:14:11 PM »
The Gamecube was better because it had the best controller in human history, whereas in contrast the Wii had the absolute worst controller.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »
The Wii, because you could play Gamecube AND Wii games on it.  Also virtual console.

I think for the purposes of this discussion we're ignoring the backward compatibility of the Wii. Of course if you factor that in the Wii wins.

I think if we're just talking numbers the Wii has to win. I own 70-some Wii games, and I'd be shocked if I'd get even close to that on the GameCube even going back and picking up anything interesting I missed.

Zap, I think you're right that it's kind of a wash in some ways, with advantages of one being canceled out by those of the other. You can probably find counterpoints to the exclusives of one with those of the other.

You also bring up one set of those that I found interesting, Jungle Beat and DKCR. In a way, that seems like a metaphor for Nintendo's approach to a lot of their franchises on these systems. On the GameCube they were more likely to take chances on unconventional ideas for their franchises: basing Mario entirely around the waterpack, controlling a platformer entirely with the bongos, Metroid in first person from an unproven Western developer. This generation they've played it more safe a lot of the time, although they generally do it in excellent quality.

The Gamecube was better because it had the best controller in human history, whereas in contrast the Wii had the absolute worst controller.

I disagree on both points.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
The GC had backwards compatibility via the GB player peripheral. Not that that would fully offset the advantage the Wii has, but it counts for something. You can't hook the GB player up to your Wii, so the GC is the only way to go.

Also, even though the GC might not have a virtual console, it did let you play a lot of classic NES games through animal crossing and other means.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 03:27:41 PM »
I think you have to discount re-releases entirely.  The game counts for the system in which is was first released.  Twilight Princess is kind of a goofy one though so I would say it counts for both.

For me the controls really goober it all up.  I don't like motion controls so they constantly fucked up otherwise great games.  Gamecube games had controls issues far less often than Wii games did.

Originally counts for a lot too.  Metroid Prime was a very original game on the Gamecube.  That works in its favour.  Both systems had two Metroids each.  Both of the Cube ones were good, one of the Wii ones sucked.  MP3 is also my least favourite of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.  I know a lot of people like the pointer controls but I don't really care for them.  Too much strain on my arm to hold the pointer in the right place and MP3 plays more like a typical FPS.  I like how Metroid Prime isn't a typical FPS.

For Zelda I rule in favour of the Cube.  TP basically cancels itself out since it was released on both systems at the same time and the Cube one doesn't have stupid waggle controls so it wins for me anyway.  The Cube has Four Swords which is really fucking cool and the Wii has no equivalent of it.  Wind Waker is better than Skyward Sword.  SS cuts corners by making us visit the same areas again and again.  Oh and it was the guardians and thankfully WW had none of that chore BS.  I don't think either of those games is as good as the N64 Zeldas but I like WW more than SS.

Mario is one where the Wii wins.  Aside from having more Mario games Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario and Galaxy is the best.  Even with some questionable control issues I would pick SMG over SMS any day of the week.

The Cube had Pikmin, F-Zero and Eternal Darkness.  The Wii did not and what replaced them?  Excitetrucks/bots kind of replaced F-Zero in that it's a racing game.  For what the Wii had that the Cube did not you have Punch-Out! (which I thought was way too conservative; only ONE new character?  What a joke!) and the Wii Series.  Of course I hate the Wii Series so that sure doesn't compare to Pikmin or ED.  Xenoblade however does compare.  The Wii was the dream system for sidescrollers if that really floats your boat.  Personally I felt that they went overboard.

Another problem for the Wii is that as each Nintendo series becomes older the concept becomes staler.  Mario and Zelda can't get me as excited as they used to.  New stuff has to take their place.  The Cube has an advantage in that the IP was still younger and at that point Metroid had yet to go 3D so it got the 3D rebirth that most series got in the N64 days.  I was already getting on Nintendo's jock about creating new IP then but at least we got Pikmin.  The big EAD new IP on the Wii was the Miis.  Obviously I prefer Pikmin.

The Cube also had the benefit that it could wow us visually and Nintendo was able to push their series forward with new technology.  That was not present on the Wii.  It is hard to get excited about new games that don't do anything they couldn't have done on the old system, only they now have waggle.

The Wii also has more infamous duds.  There is no Wii Music, Other M or DK Barrel Blast sullying the Cube lineup (though it does have Kirby Air Ride, the start of Iwata's dream of games requiring zero skill to play).

Still overall the controls are what hurt things on the Wii for me.  Nintendo games often controlled like ****.  This was never a problem on previous Nintendo systems.  A Nintendo game with bad controls was rare and now I consider that the norm.

When I think of my favourite first party Cube games I think of Metroid Prime, Four Swords and the Pikmin games.  One big part of it is that those all provided NEW GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCES.  The Wii's new gameplay experience was stuff like Wii Sports and Wii Fit which are super lame and casual.  For what I'm looking for the Wii didn't provide it like the Cube did.  Though the Cube isn't that great for new experiences either, just better than the Wii was.  The last time Nintendo truly came across as consistently innovative was on the N64.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »
I think if we're just talking numbers the Wii has to win. I own 70-some Wii games, and I'd be shocked if I'd get even close to that on the GameCube even going back and picking up anything interesting I missed.
I'm going to have to count my collection when I get home, but I feel pretty safe in saying I own my Cube games then Wii.  I may own more Gamecube games then Wii even if I add in my VC games.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »
Gamecube wins IMO.  Had tons of great core software from External Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Emblem: Path of Radiance, and my favorite Rogue Squadron :) .

The only genre the WII did better than the GC was the 2D platformers and other "retro" games like Punchout. 

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
Obviously, personal preference will affect which console people prefer.  So will environment and age at the time when the consoles were first available.  But I feel that Wii is far and away superior to GameCube.

Why?  Pure and simple, because of the games.

Wii has more games that I care about than GameCube ever did.  After buying essentially every GameCube title that I care about, I currently own 67 games. That's a great number, but significantly fewer than the 105 Wii titles (not including any WiiWare or Virtual Console games) that I own.  It's worth noting that some of the best GameCube games have been re-released on Wii, but unless the game was significantly improved I only own the GameCube original.  It's also worth noting that the Wii number isn't final - a handful of those games will be sold or traded away later, and a handful of different games are still on my "want to buy" list; those numbers roughly even out.

Wii also caters to niche genres that I enjoy better than GameCube. Rogue-likes, on-rail shooters, arcade conversions, fighting games, 2D side-scrollers, music games, party games, point-and-click... I have far more variety with my Wii library than I do from GameCube, even if it has fewer games in some traditional gamer genres.

Finally, Wii just offered bigger hits and improved classics.  What GameCube title could replace the hundreds of hours spent on Monster Hunter Tri or Xenoblade?  What GameCube title compares to the Super Mario Galaxy series or Donkey Kong Country Returns? How much better are Metroid Prime and Pikmin and Animal Crossing on Wii than in previous generations?  The one Nintendo franchise released on both systems that gets a solid "win" for GameCube is Zelda... everything else is arguably, if not clearly, better on Wii.

This doesn't mean that GameCube is a bad system or that it lacked software support. It was a great system that has some truly classic games. But if forced to choose between the two most recent Nintendo home consoles, there wouldn't be a moment of hesitation for me: Wii all the way.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
What GameCube title could replace the hundreds of hours spent on Monster Hunter Tri or Xenoblade?
Phantasy Star Online if your willing to pay for it.  That should have never had a charge.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
The Wii, because you could play Gamecube AND Wii games on it.

They stripped that out in the current Wii revision. If you go into a store and buy a new Wii odds are you would end up with this inferior version. So its debatable whether GC compatibility should be counted anymore.
is your sanity...

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
I'd have to agree with at least the first part of this.  I still think the worst controller ever was the Atari 5200.  That one was horrible.  Wiimote is more comfortable than and NES controller definitely.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »
Originally counts for a lot too.  Metroid Prime was a very original game on the Gamecube.  That works in its favour.  Both systems had two Metroids each.  Both of the Cube ones were good, one of the Wii ones sucked.  MP3 is also my least favourite of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.  I know a lot of people like the pointer controls but I don't really care for them.  Too much strain on my arm to hold the pointer in the right place and MP3 plays more like a typical FPS.  I like how Metroid Prime isn't a typical FPS.

For Zelda I rule in favour of the Cube.  TP basically cancels itself out since it was released on both systems at the same time and the Cube one doesn't have stupid waggle controls so it wins for me anyway.  The Cube has Four Swords which is really fucking cool and the Wii has no equivalent of it.  Wind Waker is better than Skyward Sword.  SS cuts corners by making us visit the same areas again and again.  Oh and it was the guardians and thankfully WW had none of that chore BS.  I don't think either of those games is as good as the N64 Zeldas but I like WW more than SS.

Mario is one where the Wii wins.  Aside from having more Mario games Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario and Galaxy is the best.  Even with some questionable control issues I would pick SMG over SMS any day of the week.

The Cube had Pikmin, F-Zero and Eternal Darkness.  The Wii did not and what replaced them?  Excitetrucks/bots kind of replaced F-Zero in that it's a racing game.  For what the Wii had that the Cube did not you have Punch-Out! (which I thought was way too conservative; only ONE new character?  What a joke!) and the Wii Series.  Of course I hate the Wii Series so that sure doesn't compare to Pikmin or ED.  Xenoblade however does compare.  The Wii was the dream system for sidescrollers if that really floats your boat.  Personally I felt that they went overboard.

Another problem for the Wii is that as each Nintendo series becomes older the concept becomes staler.  Mario and Zelda can't get me as excited as they used to.  New stuff has to take their place.  The Cube has an advantage in that the IP was still younger and at that point Metroid had yet to go 3D so it got the 3D rebirth that most series got in the N64 days.  I was already getting on Nintendo's jock about creating new IP then but at least we got Pikmin.  The big EAD new IP on the Wii was the Miis.  Obviously I prefer Pikmin.

The Cube also had the benefit that it could wow us visually and Nintendo was able to push their series forward with new technology.  That was not present on the Wii.  It is hard to get excited about new games that don't do anything they couldn't have done on the old system, only they now have waggle.

The Wii also has more infamous duds.  There is no Wii Music, Other M or DK Barrel Blast sullying the Cube lineup (though it does have Kirby Air Ride, the start of Iwata's dream of games requiring zero skill to play).

Still overall the controls are what hurt things on the Wii for me.  Nintendo games often controlled like ****.  This was never a problem on previous Nintendo systems.  A Nintendo game with bad controls was rare and now I consider that the norm.

When I think of my favourite first party Cube games I think of Metroid Prime, Four Swords and the Pikmin games.  One big part of it is that those all provided NEW GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCES.  The Wii's new gameplay experience was stuff like Wii Sports and Wii Fit which are super lame and casual.  For what I'm looking for the Wii didn't provide it like the Cube did.  Though the Cube isn't that great for new experiences either, just better than the Wii was. The last time Nintendo truly came across as consistently innovative was on the N64.
I just bolded most of the statements that I disagree with. I don't think we'll ever get along. :(

Also, have you ever tried doing the checklists in Air Ride? I bought that game when it first came out and I STILL don't have them all.

I mean, clearly you're not a fan of motion controls, and that's okay. But I think you give Nintendo far too little credit for their innovation with the motion control- hell, even what some third parties did with the motion control. But I'm not going to try to sway you on that- it's just not going to happen.

I can't be in this topic anymore...

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 03:50:56 PM »

Strongly disagree. I loved having configurable control options, being able to play some games one-handed, and being able to move my hands around freely while playing. Also loved having pointer controls and a speaker on the remote.

Waggle almost balances all those positives out, but Wii still has a great controller and lazy development doesn't discount that.

The GC had backwards compatibility via the GB player peripheral. Not that that would fully offset the advantage the Wii has, but it counts for something. You can't hook the GB player up to your Wii, so the GC is the only way to go.

Also, even though the GC might not have a virtual console, it did let you play a lot of classic NES games through animal crossing and other means.

Kind of forgot about this, but it's a good point. The backwards compatibility with GB/GBC/GBA games is really a cool addition, if of somewhat limited use at this point. Makes me wish I owned more original GBA carts than I do...

I think you have to discount re-releases entirely.  The game counts for the system in which is was first released.  Twilight Princess is kind of a goofy one though so I would say it counts for both.

I disagree. When a re-release makes notable improvements, you need to factor that in and give credit to the system that offers the best game experience.  There is absolutely no reason for me to play Resident Evil 4 on GameCube when Wii improves on the experience in small but significant ways across the board.

Gamecube wins IMO.  Had tons of great core software from External Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Emblem: Path of Radiance, and my favorite Rogue Squadron :) .

The only genre the WII did better than the GC was the 2D platformers and other "retro" games like Punchout. 

Eternal Darkness - Silent Hill, Cursed Mountain, Fragile Dreams
Tales of Symphonia - Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World, Xenoblade, The Last Story
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance - Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Shiren the Wanderer
Rogue Squadron - You got me here, that's one hell of game!

Riddle me this:
* - Monster Hunter Tri

*Edit: Phantasy Star Online, suggested above, is probably a good call on this one.  I never played the game for several reasons (cost, defunct servers, no modem) but bet it would've been great.  Of course, it's not hard to argue that Monster Hunter Tri is significantly better because it sidesteps all of those issues.  Even though online capabilities with Wii were a joke, they were a lot better and more convenient than what GameCube offered.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:55:09 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
I personally was disappointed in some Nintendo first-party output on the GC, which really colors my perception of that console. I felt that Nintendo got into some awkward game design corners with the otherwise beautiful Mario Sunshine, and I really felt like they dropped the ball halfway through developing Wind Waker, as if they just stopped development on it and started giving really boring dungeons. And I'm sorry, Mario Kart Double Dash was... a big pile of meh to me even though I had 8-player LAN parties and played through the entire thing co-op with my younger brother.

There were definitely GC games I fully embrace though: Pikmin, Donkey Konga, Metroid Prime, Smash Brothers, Rogue Squadron 2 (3 just crushed my soul though...) Killer 7, Cubivore, Animal Crossing...

That said, I love the explosion of creativity the Wii inspired in Nintendo. I felt like where they'd lost a lot of spark with the GameCube, they rediscovered their pioneering spirit with the Wii. Wii Music and Wii Fit really pushed the boundaries of gaming and as a Nintendo fan I'm thankful for both games. The Mario Galaxy and Kart games also recaptured my love for those games whereas the GC had ones had worn out their welcome. I have yet to play XenoBlade and DKCR as well, so things can only get better. I do admit there were first party efforts I was still personally disappointed with, like Smash, and most notably Twilight princess.

But I think where the Wii pulls ahead dramatically for me is the third parties. I had a blast playing FPS' on the Wii: Far Cry, CoDs, Red Steel 2. I had the No More Heroes series to enjoy, and hidden motion-controlled gems like We Cheer and Godfather. There simply were and ARE more exciting, interesting, and unique third party games on the Wii, my backlog is still full of them: Silent Hill and Cursed Mountain are major holdouts in my (20-something strong) Wii backlog. And I'm EAGERLY awaiting The Last Story.

Oh, and then there's Virtual Console. That's just like... pure win right there.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
Silent Hill has such mixed reviews- I don't know if I'm going to enjoy running from icy freaks with a terrible map. I need something that sells it a little better...

However, Monster Hunter Tri, Sonic Colors, Muramasa, and a lot of others that I haven't even played... I've just heard so many good things about the Wii's thurd party library- of what actually exists, I mean. It's got a ton of variety.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:25:43 PM by Evan_B »

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
Someone pointed out in another thread that GCN had 16? games with a metascore of 90+ and Wii had 11 I think.  With the masses, even though the cube had less games, it had more highly regarded games.

This is all opinion obviously so there's no right answer.  Nintendo would tell you the Wii is better because it made them more money.   The cube definitely took more chances and unfortunately, that bit them in the butt and left the cube floundering throughout its lifecycle.  I'd choose the cube over the Wii for a few reasons.  One is that I never unplugged it until the Wii was in my house (BC).  The Wii has been unplugged since before I bought Skyword Sword (yes, I still haven't played it) and it hadn't been played for about 6 months before that.  I actually took the cube to college with me and got a 13" tv to play it on in my dorm room.  I have fond memories of playing Pikmin 2 on that screen.

The cube had games that I played from start to finish without putting them down.  The Wii has many unfinished games (including SMG2 which I have played all of two levels).  The cube controller is my favorite of all time.  I do enjoy the wiimote, but it doesn't hold a candle to the cube controller. 

The Wii was definitely superior for some games.  RE4 was much better on the Wii.  The pointer controls made that game amazing and it saddened me when I had to go back to a traditional controller for RE5.  Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles were quite fun games and I played them with my wife. 

I couldn't tell you which system I owned more games.  I do know I remember the games better from the cube than from the Wii.  I actually played a lot of cube games on my Wii before I had a lot of games on the Wii.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »
It's interesting how some believe that Nintendo was taking chances with the cube and less with the Wii.  Then there are others who think the creativity came to a halt on the cube and was rekindled on the Wii. 

Though when you think about it, the Wii was one of the biggest chances they've ever taken.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
The Wii, because you could play Gamecube AND Wii games on it.

They stripped that out in the current Wii revision. If you go into a store and buy a new Wii odds are you would end up with this inferior version. So its debatable whether GC compatibility should be counted anymore.

So just because this was stripped in the last year of its life makes it invalid?