Author Topic: Episode 439: Grapple Dem Tears  (Read 10201 times)

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 439: Grapple Dem Tears
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
Jonny, thanks for the memories! I have enjoyed the show for years in large part because of your insight. Best wishes for your future.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:23:06 PM by Shaymin »

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »
I lurk this website every single day but I have to come out of the darkness here and wish Dr. Metts the best of luck in his future endeavors. I'm not exactly sure which episode i jumped on board the RFN train, but it must have been around episode 130. It goes without saying that Radio Free Nintendo, and Jonny has been a huge part of my life have made a huge impact on how I perceive games and the gaming industry as a whole.

I really hope this is not the last we've heard from you on this podcast though, so please come back sometime. Greg making a comeback is fantastic news, and makes Jonny's departure less painful. Good luck to the new cast!
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline BiteThePillow

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »
Johnny Metts helped me fall in love with gaming all over again, along with the rest of RFN. I will miss him for sure. I'm really glad Greg is coming back though. There's just one question I have. With Johnny gone, who's going to tell James Jones, "Ok, well lets move on now."  ;D
NNID: UltraGoomba
3DS Friend Code: 2208-7006-9833

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 02:30:13 PM »
Ah man that sucks. I will have to catch up, been behind since getting married. Sad to have the podcast retire. :(

Offline John Rairdin

• Director
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
This podcast was what got me interested in games journalism in the first place. Jonny, it was an honor to meet you and get to hang out at E3. Thanks for everything you contributed to RFN. I have no doubt that it will continue to be the best Nintendo podcast on the web for many, many years to come.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
WOAH MONTAG

The podcast isn't retiring, just Jonny. We're recording one tomorrow.

Congrats on the wedding, by the way.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 07:45:56 AM »
I've been trying to avoid this thread all week, but I can't. It was a hard listen. Thank you Jonny, I've been listening to RFN since early 2010 and it's crazy to think of how you guys have been on my ears, once a week, every week for the past 5 years. A major part of that was you, and I hope to keep hearing you once in a while. You helped make RFN one of the best podcasts out there, and that's no small feat.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BiteThePillow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »
I forgot to say this in my earlier post. Dr. Metts, those mp3 recordings of you talking about Gamecube and GBA from 15 years ago are such a treasure to me. So much of that kind of history has been lost, but you somehow managed to hang onto a piece of it. Personally that era of gaming was one of the most intense and exciting times for me. I was just as amazed as you were with the mind blowing visuals of the launch model GBA, and the Gamecube's better-than-PS2 graphics and load times. As a Nintendo fan boy, I was never more proud of the company and their incredible games and hardware. You brought all those feelings rushing back. They way you paint a picture with your words, and how you convey your emotional impressions of gaming experiences is just so great for passionate gamers like me. I know exactly how you feel about Milon's Secret Castle, because I felt the same way about Battle Toads for Gameboy. There have been so many times when you described a game or a personal gaming moment and I knew exactly what you meant because I had been there too, even if some of the details were different. So, even though we don't know each other, your work has made a deep impression on me. It sparked a passion in me that had been dead for a while. Thank you for that. I can't wait to read your book. Consider narrating an Audible version of it. It would mean a lot to hear your story in your own voice, and maybe for some of the sections where you get other people involved, you can feature their voices as well. I wish you the best, and if this podcast is any indication of your abilities, I have confidence that you will be successful in whatever you turn your focus to.

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
Are those MP3s posted here?

Offline BiteThePillow

• View Profile

Offline WaTanooki

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
Finally worked up the nerve to listen, it was a very heartfelt episode.  Got a little choked up at the end, this podcast has had a tremendous impact on my life these last 5 years and Dr.Metts you will truly be missed.  Not having you on the show will be losing a dear friend.  Good luck on all your future endeavors and I look forward to reading your book, it will be amazing.

I guess cats have their own way of saying goodbye, lol.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 09:21:03 PM »
I discovered RFN around E3 2011. "Perfect Agent Greganna" was one of the first episodes I heard, so how could I not be hooked? :) Later on, I figured out that NWR used to be PGC, I was like "Billy B's domain?" so things kind of came full circle for me as far as the site was concerned. While keeping up with the podcast, I listened to the archives over time, as well as spurts of listening to Discover Music Project, Box Office Poison, etc., so I've heard Jonny's voice more than I have some people in real life.

To me, podcasting is just another form of radio, and there's something about the radio/audio medium that connects with people in a way that other forms of media cannot seem to. I think the necessity of having to use your imagination is one reason (no visual stimulus). Because you generally have to focus to understand/follow, that level of concentration allows things to cut through in a way that some visual mediums cannot as easily do.

I think that's why  podcasts like RFN can have such a impact on people's lives. In the case of Jonny, James, Jon, Gui and Greg, you feel like you're getting to know them over time. Sometimes an exaggerated version of themselves, but nonetheless, themselves. And I think that's meaningful no matter how you look at it.

I didn't expect your PGC/NWR book project. I think it is something that you're uniquely positioned to do. A lot of people don't really think of online stuff as history and a lot of it has or will vanish, if people like yourself don't record it. Being an ebook, I hope you'll take full advantage of its freedoms (so many authors have to cut out a lot of good stuff in order to meet publisher's page counts). To be honest, if you pull this off, I think it'll make you a hero of sorts. It will  be an honorable, and not easy, task.

I hope the book is not the total end of your involvement with NWR or RFN or whatever name things will be under by the time the book is released, but if it is, it will be a glorious end. Everyone deals with things in their own way, so perhaps that being the end is the best thing for you, but either way, you have my support and I'm sure, that of many others.

With all that you've done for the site, RFN, and the book, I think that deserves to be remembered, and I think it will be.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, go grapple dem titties! (Keep your caliphers to yourself this time though) :) ;)