Author Topic: RetroActive #31: Pokemon: The Trading Card Game (Official Discussion)  (Read 23689 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #31: Pokemon: The Trading Card Game (Official Discussion)
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »
That magmar card with smog and smokescreen is just stupid. Even if you resist fire I can just poison you and try to stall you out with smokescreen.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 05:21:01 PM »
That magmar card with smog and smokescreen is just stupid. Even if you resist fire I can just poison you and try to stall you out with smokescreen.

This is why there are variants of the Hitmonchan/Electabuzz/Scyther deck that take out Hitmonchan and replace it with Magmar, as it effectively then serves as a more airtight Mr. Mime counter.

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 05:27:49 PM »
I just wanted to share comments about this game from someone who's fairly new to card games in general. This game so far has been a great way for me to learn how the Pokemon card game works (or at least how I think it works). I remember collecting these cards as a kid, but I never really understood what things like energy cards and trainer cards did. I would either toss those cards out, or just store them in the back of my "Poke-binder". Anyway, this game is taking me back to a period in my life where I really adored everything Pokemon. I think it's pretty amazing how an old game I've never even played before is making me feel this way.

As far as the game itself however. I like the fact that it looks like Pokemon Red and Blue, and I don't care what anyone says, the dialog in this game is genius! It's so bad it's good! I also enjoy the freedom of assembling my own deck. It's a learning process, but it's always great to receive new cards to add them my main deck. I don't know about you all, but I wouldn't be opposed to a new Pokemon Trading Card Game if it ever came out...

Would you guys pay for a new version of this game if it was released on the eshop for a decent price?

Lastly, in honor of Mr. Lindemann's return, and the new streak beginning... 
[/size]I want James to read this out loud it this makes it on the show..
[/size]"Jon Lindemann is more than a man, but less than a God.."[/size]
[/font]

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »

Would you guys pay for a new version of this game if it was released on the eshop for a decent price?

Probably, though I hardly ever use the TCG online that exists now (I actually tried to give away some spare codes through the RFN telethon a few years ago).
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:11 PM »
pokemon TCG online is a very unattractive product for me, but I could get behind another game like this, provided they give this to an actual Gamefreak team to work on and they don't just throw some generic Ken Sugimori character designs at a third party.

the game could have the cards project Pokemon holograms reused from the X and Y models, and use the X and Y Engine's overworlds, incorporating 3D far more because of improvements to the engine. the best part would be ease of access to cards by making an AR mode where if the 3DS picks up the card art for a pokemon, i tpops out the model for that pokemon/trainer/etc and then the card becomes available in a special card shop for you to purchase for a small fee of Pokedollars.

Oh, and because the 3DS has an IR port, Card Pop can return!

... speaking of which, Card Pop. Has anybody gotten to try it...? I briefly remember doing it with my 10 year old self. you'd hold your game boy color's IR port up to a friend's and if they saw each other for a few seconds, random cards would get added to one another's collections...! there was even 2 promos you can only get via it. one was a Venusaur without Energy Trans, which immediately made it garbage (it instead gets a Full heal in the form of a Poke Power, and it can't even heal itself, so... you might as well use switch!), and the other was a Mew card that has 1 psychic and 1 colorless for an attack that did whatever the **** it wanted. random damage, random statuses.

You actually got a physical copy of the Venusaur with copies of the official Nintendo Power strategy Guide.

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »
I used Card Pop a few times back in the day. Unfortunately, you had to pop with a bunch of people before you could use the same person again, so even though I went to TCG league I never got that many.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
Card pop feels like one of those things where they shouldn't have had to remove it for the virtual console.. They should have been able to hack it in somehow, maybe make it into a streetpass thing or something, I don't know, but that's another rant for another time that you can maybe expect a listener mail type thing on it.

I wish they still made these things, this is easily one of the best spinoffs for Pokemon we've ever had. (Although as a certain James Jones knows Mystery Dungeon reigns supreme).

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »
so, the episode is probably recorded by now. I'm actually really excited for sunday, even if I feel that most of the cast of RFN won't be down for the grindy nature of the game.

I'm especially curious about Johnny's opinion, given his magical credentials and his lax stance on pokemon as a whole.