Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 416880 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #825 on: August 12, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »
I found the Iwata Asks interview really interesting.  It sounds like they have this really ambitious idea for this action game that seemlessly mixes with cinematics and it all sounds real cool... but I don't understand why this game has to be a Metroid game.  It sounds more like they have this vision and they're going to mold Metroid to make it fit.  But why can't they just make a new IP?  It just doesn't sound like they set out to make a great Metroid game but rather they wanted to make something different and then they decided to use the Metroid IP for it.

Let's not forget that in 2002 or so Halo was a big deal, and Nintendo could have countered it by creating a new FPS IP, but instead of doing that they dusted off Metroid and shoe-horned that into an FPS and so that became Nintendo's answer to Halo even though it pissed off a lot of old fans (like myself). So when you say Nintendo should create a new IP instead of molding Metroid into this, I completely agree... but I'm still curious of how it will turn out. But it seems that Nintendo is more likely to remold their core franchises rather than create new franchises. This is also true with Zelda and Mario, for example in Wind Waker you had that cell shading deal which made it look like a cartoon and that angered a lot of people. Nintendo could have created an entirely new franchise to experiment with, but I think they realized using a core franchise helps with sales.

But Metroid is nowhere near as popular as Zelda or Mario is, so if the experiment fails and the end result is a mess then it doesn't matter as much (from Nintendo's perspective, I mean). I'm not happy that Metroid was chosen to be Nintendo's guinea pig to do experimenting on, but on the bright side its better than going an entire generation without any Metroid at all, which was how it was before the Prime series. And who knows, perhaps Nintendo will strike gold eventually, and if they do it will propel the Metroid franchise to heights it has never seen (or at least not since Super Metroid anyway).
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:30 AM »
No matter how many times you claim Metroid Prime is in any way a response to Halo, it doesn't make it any more true. Forget for a second the fact that they don't play anything like each other; Prime came out way too soon after Halo for it to have had any impact on its development.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 12, 2010, 02:09:44 AM »
I've never seen anyone claim that Metroid Prime was a response to Halo. Even if that weren't a ridiculous claim, I don't think that Nintendo lets the game projects from other developers influence the games that they make.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 12, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »
It just doesn't sound like they set out to make a great Metroid game but rather they wanted to make something different and then they decided to use the Metroid IP for it.

If Nintendo never re-appropriated a game design into something else we'd never have Donkey Kong.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 12, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »

Let's not forget that in 2002 or so Halo was a big deal, and Nintendo could have countered it by creating a new FPS IP, but instead of doing that they dusted off Metroid and shoe-horned that into an FPS and so that became Nintendo's answer to Halo even though it pissed off a lot of old fans (like myself).

The first gameplay footage for Metroid Prime showing that it was a First Person game was shown at Space World 2001, which took place in August.  The first Halo game was released in November of 2001, which was 3 months after the first footage of Prime 1 was shown.  Not to mention it was announced that Metroid Prime was going to be a First Person game months before the first gameplay footage was even shown. 

http://cube.ign.com/articles/091/091780p1.html

See the date, do you see the date of the article? 

February 2001

So yeah, now you can stop saying Metroid Prime was made to be a Halo ripoff when the game was well into development long before anyone even knew what the hell Halo even was.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 12, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
IGN's top five things they love about Metroid Other M. They have the final build of the game and give their impressions. All positive to.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/111/1111851p1.html
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 12, 2010, 02:17:01 PM »
Metroid Prime was not an answer to Halo.  It was like "how do we bring Metroid into 3D" and over time it became clear that that was the way to do it.  It got turned into Nintendo's Halo by non-Metroid fans who saw a game with a first person view and figured it had to be an FPS.  And Nintendo didn't make their own FPS so Metroid Prime was kind of shoehorned into the role.  Metroid Prime Hunters is Nintendo shoehorning Metroid into an FPS.

That list of new IP from Iwata-era Nintendo suffers from the problem that that new IP is all pretty damn lame.  All second tier titles made by second tier teams.  Pikmin was made by Miyamoto and EAD.  It was Nintendo's A team working on a game that was supposed to be an A title, not some throwaway filler.  It feels like the BIG stuff that is supposed to be one of the big flagship games of the year are always sequels.  Nintendo doesn't seem to have the faith to put that kind of pressure on a new IP.

Sony releases LBP and it was clear from they way they positioned it that that was supposed to be a major release for the PS3 and that the goal for it to become a big franchise.  They took that risk in banking on a new IP to have that role as a major title.  They did that with Resistance and Infamous and Uncharted.  Last gen they did that with God of War.  Nintendo did that with the Wii series and before that Pikmin and that's like it for the last two gens.  There is a strong reliance on the old franchises of which most of them are at least 20 years old.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 12, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »
All second tier titles made by second tier teams.  Pikmin was made by Miyamoto and EAD.

Nintendogs was made by EAD too, and Miyamoto personally.  And please don't go calling companies like Monolith Soft "second tier."  Or the WarioWare guys, who made Rhythm Heaven.  And Drill Dozer was made by the Pokemon team.  Or their games.  I mean Xenoblade may or may not be localized, but it got all 9's from Famitsu.  I'd say that makes it more than "second tier," wouldn't you say?  Maybe you oughta know more about the stuff you blankly dismiss.

Besides the quality of the games is immaterial to the point about new IP.  Which Nintendo has certainly made an abundant amount of since 2002.  Bringing up your personal quality preference just smells of "creative classification." you know like "when I said new IP, I meant new IP that I personally, will find appealing."  Of course your opinion is important to yourself, but you can't just whip it out at the end as some kind of cure-all rebuttal when it wasn't part of your original complaint.  You wanted Nintendo to make new IP.  They have.  Cut.  Print.

And before you go sanctifying Sony for creating new franchises all the time, you might want to consider that the reason Sony does this is that they never really can get a series that's as popular as Mario or Zelda or sometimes even as popular as one of Nintendo's B-series like Endless Ocean.  And watch what happens when they do get a quasi popular one.  they run it into the ground until nobody cares anymore, like what happened with Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Socom.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 12, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
Besides the quality of the games is immaterial to the point about new IP.

I think quality is the most important thing.  Who gives two shits if anyone makes new IP or does anything innovative if the results aren't so hot?  Whenever I say that I would like Nintendo, or any videogame company, to do something there is the assumption that I end the request with "... and make it good."  Otherwise it's all technicalities.  It's like your boss giving you a 1 cent raise and saying "well you asked for a raise so there you go."

For me personally it is rather a bummer that the Wii series and Nintendogs are games that I really don't care for.  But I really wouldn't say they were designed with me as the target audience in the first place.  Call it casuals, non-gamers, blue ocean or whatever but those are designed for a different audience then Metroid: Other M is.  Every year Nintendo has a handful of big core games that are clearly designed to be THE games to get on the Wii.  Those are just repeatedly the same franchises.  So I look at EAD, IS, Retro or Sakamoto's team and their core game projects and it's all sequels it's like "come on, guys".  This is just kind of stale.

Nintendo does not seem to want to take any risks in regards to their big core titles.  They'll do it with the big casual title for the year.  They'll do with the more minor titles (many of which stay in Japan).  But it's not like you'll see Nintendo give the big Christmas "slot" to some completely brand new IP and push it like they would push a Mario title.  Remember when Halo or Gears of War were brand new?  They're weren't like some under-the-radar release that became a big hit. They were marketed and pushed since they were announced to be a big game and to have that responsibility and pressure to deliver as such.  I haven't seen Nintendo do that with a new IP in a long time... except for casual stuff like Wii Sports.

Metroid: Other M is going to be one of the Wii's big releases this year.  Now is that only because it is a familiar franchise?  Would it be one of the major releases if it was the same thing but with a new IP?  If it's what they hype it up as in the Iwata Asks I think it would be, if Nintendo gave it the same level of promotion.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
No matter how many times you claim Metroid Prime is in any way a response to Halo, it doesn't make it any more true. Forget for a second the fact that they don't play anything like each other; Prime came out way too soon after Halo for it to have had any impact on its development.

IIRC I'm pretty sure there was some media/gamer driven efforts to put Halo 2 and Prime 2 in a competitive frame prior to their respective releases. Prime 2's multiplayer mode was in part responsible together with the media obsession to find a Halo-killer.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 12, 2010, 10:51:49 PM »

IIRC I'm pretty sure there was some media/gamer driven efforts to put Halo 2 and Prime 2 in a competitive frame prior to their respective releases. Prime 2's multiplayer mode was in part responsible together with the media obsession to find a Halo-killer.
And this is an absolute fact, but it didn't really work out for Retro at all. MP2 is still great, the multiplayer is still a brown smear though.

Then Retro went 'oh **** it' and that's why MP3 is so awesome.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 13, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
I think quality is the most important thing.  Who gives two ****s if anyone makes new IP or does anything innovative if the results aren't so hot?  Whenever I say that I would like Nintendo, or any videogame company, to do something there is the assumption that I end the request with "... and make it good."  Otherwise it's all technicalities.

The problem here is we're just relying on your opinion on what's good or not, and considering some of these newer IPs are critical or financial successes, or both, then your individual idea of what "counts" is moot.  Nintendo making that big list of new IPs isn't a "technicality," they're new IPs, just like you asked for.

It's like your boss giving you a 1 cent raise and saying "well you asked for a raise so there you go."

In this instance it's more like your boss giving you a $10 an hour raise, and you still continually demand a raise while refusing to cash your check.

So I look at EAD, IS, Retro or Sakamoto's team and their core game projects and it's all sequels it's like "come on, guys".  This is just kind of stale.

Your opinion here is nice and all, but since these games routinely outsell and even outscore other new IPs, even on competing consoles, it's really immaterial.  You are basically asking them to throw Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Donkey Kong under a bus and just make new stuff.  And while that's admirable in an artistic sense, it's terrible in terms of keeping your hardcore fans happy, and considering the sales of Mario and Zelda and such, that's a pretty big risk to take in the hopes they'll buy something completely unrelated.  If you're getting tired of Mario and Zelda, fine.  Either try some of Nintendo's newer IP (which you clearly haven't done since you use such blanket statements about them all), or sell your Wii and look elsewhere.  But don't constantly whine about new IP and then ignore it when they provide it.  You don't even give them credit for trying, so you'll never be pleased.

But it's not like you'll see Nintendo give the big Christmas "slot" to some completely brand new IP and push it like they would push a Mario title.

So now it's "new IPs that personally appeal to me and have gigantic marketing campaigns during Christman."  I think we're straying from the original intent of the complaint to get Nintendo to make new IPs in an artistic context and going into some kind of pointless chatter about marketing and other stuff that really shouldn't matter in the context.  Why should it matter if it's got a giant marketing campaign or not?  Are you saying you'll refuse to even acknowledge Nintendo's new IP until they blow $20 million on a marketing campaign directed specifically at you and your general male interest websites and TV channels?  What kind of gamer are you, seriously?

Side note: I suppose we can add Sin and Punishment to the list of new Nintendo IPs.  The first was an import title from 10 years ago, and it's more or less a new title (newer than some of the series being thrown around as exemplars of "new IP"), and it's in the core area, and got some pretty heavy marketing.  But it probably won't be counted either, because it's merely a "new IP with core market appeal with big marketing" and not a "new IP with core market appeal with big marketing during the Q3 holiday period."

Remember when Halo or Gears of War were brand new?

For those playing at home, I'll let you have a guess as to why Halo got such a big marketing push in 2001.  Besides, these are boring stale franchises now, right?  Why compare one big franchise, heavily marketed as the big Christmas title whenevr it rolls around to another just because it's "newer?"

It's because it was the first console game Microsoft published for the Xbox.  Of course it was going to have big marketing, no matter what it was.  And it was going to be an new IP too.

Metroid: Other M is going to be one of the Wii's big releases this year.  Now is that only because it is a familiar franchise?  Would it be one of the major releases if it was the same thing but with a new IP?

I think a big problem with this assessment is that firstly you are basing this complaint track off the sadly misguided notion that Other M was not a Metroid game at inception.  That it was some kind of game about an armored space warrior going through a space station shooting aliens and then Nintendo's IP Synergy StrikeForce rappelled into the dev offices and forced the programmers at gunpoint to shoehorn in a completely unrelated IP like Metroid.

Secondly, is that you think Nintendo having a new IP that's nothing but a cheap knock off of one of their own existing series would be a "good thing."  That's incredibly creatively bankrupt when you're just renaming characters in the same games.

I'll close with an example of when an arbitrarily new IP decision would have cost gamers the #1 fighting game series of all time (as far as sales anyway.)  HAL was working on a fighting game called Dragon King.  It was an interesting mechanic for a fighter that, instead of wearing your opponent's life bar down (though later sequels would include such modes), you merely throw them off the screen or stage.  However, the prospects for this fighting game were pretty bleak considering the original characters were somewhat generic, stock characters.  Despite the intriguing and innovative gameplay, the game really had no market pull and no amount of marketing could sell the concept with a generic IP.  They then decided to use Nintendo's current stable of characters in a unique setting (a fighting game) as a replacement for these generic characters and Smash bros. was the result.  The game sold gangbusters and has been ruling the fighting game genre ever since.

If Nintendo tried to do it with a new IP, it would have assuredly perished quickly and nobody would have ever remembered it, particularly not the "new IP" crowd.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #837 on: August 13, 2010, 01:19:15 AM »
Blah blah blah blah blah blah BLAH.

This new Metroid game is gonna be hella cool.  I can't wait for the 31st to hurry up and get here!  Heh, you sure do like to argue, though, Deg.  I do agree with a lot of Ian's points about Nintendo.  As a loyal Nintendo follower since the very young age of THREE (go Atari Donkey Kong and Mario Bros.!), I've always known that Nintendo makes the very best video games... be it solely based around gameplay and play control.  Always have, and always will. But over the years, and especially with the last couple of years, Nintendo is trying too hard to be creative.  E3, this year, showed me that Nintendo is starting to be more lax... by bringing out creative but traditional games such as Kirby's Epic Yarn and DKC Returns -- two games I'm totally psyched about.  But yes, they've been trying way too hard, and it seems they've forgotten what it was that made them so special.  And that's unique IPs that people can connect with.  Do I connect with Chibi-Robo (and yes, I've played it)? No, I do not. It's a dull IP (yes, opinion..duh) that's nowhere near as approachable as Mario, Link, DK, Samus, and the likes.  This is what I think Ian's talking about.  Not that they haven't given us new IPs, but that they haven't given us creative new IPs that can draw a "gamer" type audience in to them.

And that's a fault of trying too hard at this new blue ocean approach.  Of course, this approach has definitely been successful for them... but it's caused Nintendo to be very unappealing to the people that got them were they are now... BORING.  Don't make me bring up the travesties that were E3 '07 and '08... ugh.  Don't get me wrong, I still love Nintendo from the very depths of my soul, but Ninty approaching the game industry the way they have is the very reason why I HAD to buy a PS3 this gen -- I wanted a more "core" gaming experience, and I'm definitely getting that with my PS3.  But I do have a ton of "core" titles for the Wii, too.  It's just... they all have a different feel to them that just doesn't connect the way the Nintendo games of yesteryear connected.  Was Galaxy 2 an amazing game? Oh lord, absolutely.  But I still feel like I had better and more memorable experiences with games like Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.  Maybe it's because I've gotten older now... I don't really know the answer to that.

Bottom line is that I want to see Nintendo approach both sides next-gen... and it can definitely be done.  And ultimately, this is all that Ian is trying to say.  And I agree whole-heartedly with him.  Third parties need to start taking Nintendo serious, but in order to do this, Nintendo has got to approach them, asking what they'd like to see/have on their next console.  It's as simple as that.  If Nintendo does this, then that's a great start to mending severed ties from the last 14 years.  And if E3 this year and the 3DS are any indication of this, then we're off to a very positive, great start.

Bring it, Nintendo.  I dare you. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 13, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
We need a dedicated section of the forums for these arguments to make it easier to ignore them.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 13, 2010, 01:36:41 AM »
We need a dedicated section of the forums for these arguments to make it easier to ignore them.
This. I'm beginning to become a bit tired of this talk that Nintendo have changed (they haven't, their fans have) or the whole "casual/core/hardcore" nonsense. The great stuff Caterkiller posts -- stuff that's actually about the game -- is becoming buried by this kind of thing.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #840 on: August 13, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »
Heh, I'm sorry. I just felt like Ian was being ganged up on.

I'm really psyched about Metroid: Other M, though.  After seeing the newest trailer (I have yet to see the new Iwata Asks -- which I'm sure would further my excitement), I can't wait to try out the new controls.  Even having a D-pad only setup doesn't drag me down at all. I'm actually looking forward to all of the wall jumping I'm gonna be able to do. :D

I may watch the new Iwata Asks thing tomorrow during my break at work, but what all is discussed? If you don't care to summarize, that is. I'd be much appreciative. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 13, 2010, 02:38:24 AM »

I'd rather they just not come up at all.  I wish this thread could just be about Metroid rather than whether or not Nintendo needs to make new IPs or something about third party support or whether Nintendo's still "cool" because they made a few games that get labeled "casual."  It's boring and predictable, and really not worth discussing, but will come up at the drop of a hat for absolutely zero reason.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 13, 2010, 04:07:13 AM »
It was like "how do we bring Metroid into 3D" and over time it became clear that that was the way to do it.

No it isn't. Mario and Zelda both made the transition to 3D without becoming FPS. This was unacceptable.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 13, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
No it isn't. Mario and Zelda both made the transition to 3D without becoming FPS. This was unacceptable.

Well Mario and Zelda don't have projectile based gameplay like Metroid does.  And Metroid Prime isn't an FPS anyway.  I love Metroid Prime so it's really hard for me to get in the mindset of someone who doesn't.  It doesn't help that a lot of Metroid Prime backlash seemed to come either from non-Metroid fans who wanted it to play like Halo or people who never tried it at all.  Metroid Prime to me was like the perfect way to bring Metroid into 3D.  Hell I didn't even get any of the criticism of the controls.

Regarding new IP all I'm saying is this is the second Metroid game on the Wii and there have been three Mario platformers.  That seems like overkill to me.  No fan was going to complain if they only got one Metroid title on the Wii.  When this title was revealed there was almost a "huh?" reaction.  No one was really asking for a new Metroid at this point.  If they want to give us one, that's great, but it was never really meeting any demand from fans or anything.  We had our Metroid for this gen, we've had our Mario for this gen.  Filling the "mandatory" sequels every gen is something Nintendo has to deal with and as a fan I want them to do it.  But once they've done that they have the opportunity to get those teams working on something new and keep things fresh and make new franchises that will become the big sequels of tomorrow.  But here they are giving us more sequels that we don't even need because we already got one for this system.

Metroid Other M sounds like this super cool game but it doesn't sound like it needs to be Metroid and the Wii doesn't need a new Metroid.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 13, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
I'd rather they just not come up at all.  ...  It's boring and predictable, and really not worth discussing, but will come up at the drop of a hat for absolutely zero reason.

Then don't respond.  Ignore the post (smite it if you wish) and continue with the topic at hand.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 13, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »
Metroid Prime is mechanically similar to 3D Zelda with the whole lock-on deal.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 13, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »
Well Mario and Zelda don't have projectile based gameplay like Metroid does.

No offense, but that's complete bullshit. Zelda has numerous projectile attacks and it has never needed to be in first person in order to pull that off.

It doesn't help that a lot of Metroid Prime backlash seemed to come either from non-Metroid fans who wanted it to play like Halo or people who never tried it at all.  Metroid Prime to me was like the perfect way to bring Metroid into 3D.  Hell I didn't even get any of the criticism of the controls.

I strongly disagree, and you can't say I'm not a Metroid fan because Super Metroid was one of my favorite games of all time. But you know what? It wasn't an FPS. None of the original games were FPS. You could always see your character at all times, so you knew when there was an enemy behind you. Yes, those games were 2D but so were Zelda and Mario at one time but they didn't resort to first person.

Now, imagine if Mario and Zelda became first person games on the N64 when they made the leap to 3D and then from that point on Nintendo kept them that way and never changed it. How would you feel about that? You would feel somehwat like how the old school Metroid fans feel about the Prime games. I've played them, and I've beaten them... but that doesn't change the fact that I don't like the FPS aspect of it at all. I played the games because that's the way they were and I had no other choice, but I would have given anything if they would have been done the same way Mario and Zelda were.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 13, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »
And Metroid Prime isn't an FPS anyway.

Fine. You can call it whatever you want, but its still in first person and that's what I hate about it. I'm a lifelong Metroid fan, but I seriously hate First Person games, so that has put me in a difficult position these last two generations. Its kinda like a Mario fan who hates platformers, except in my case Metroid didn't always be an FP(s) game. I became a fan before Metroid Prime came around, and I felt betrayed by that change.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 13, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »
And Metroid Prime isn't an FPS anyway.

Fine. You can call it whatever you want, but its still in first person and that's what I hate about it. I'm a lifelong Metroid fan, but I seriously hate First Person games, so that has put me in a difficult position these last two generations. Its kinda like a Mario fan who hates platformers, except in my case Metroid didn't always be an FP(s) game. I became a fan before Metroid Prime came around, and I felt betrayed by that change.

By contrast, however, I just could not get into Metroid and Super Metroid (and it certainly wasn't for lack of trying.  I think I've tried to play through that game from the beginning at least 4 times now).  Metroid Prime is the game that made me interested in the series again, because it felt like a Sci-Fi Zelda (Zelda being my favorite Nintendo franchsie) with a high degree of immersion with the 1st person perspective.  This placating and pandering to Super Metroid and Fusion fans feels alienating to me, and then you add the control issues on top of it.  Yeah, I'm hoping this doesn't become the new standard for Metroid.

As for Nintendo and new IPs, the fact that Nintendo has only made one new core IP in well over a decade (Pikmin) disturbs me.  Their only answer to the problem seems to be dragging yet another corpse from the NES to resurrect (Punch Out, Kid Icarus).  I have high hopes for Monolith after their excellent Baten Kaitos games, but I'm tempering my enthusiam for Xenoblade for the moment.  I enjoy Nintendo's common franchises (and typically love Zelda), but I'm really getting franchise fatigue from all these years of those franchises (especially Mario) getting trotted out every other year.  I'd really like to see Mario/Metroid/Zelda take a break after Skyward Sword launches and give their teams some time to work on something I haven't been playing for years.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 13, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »
Now, imagine if Mario and Zelda became first person games on the N64 when they made the leap to 3D and then from that point on Nintendo kept them that way and never changed it. How would you feel about that?

Well are these hypothetical games as good as Metroid Prime?  I would probably not be so thrilled about Metroid Prime if it was just an okay game.  But it's considered one of the best games ever.  When I played it I didn't think "this is a pretty good game" I thought "this is as good as Super Metroid!"  That's what Nintendo was really able to accomplish when they took their franchises into 3D.  It wasn't like they just made decent transitions, the 3D versions were comparable to the 2D versions in quality (going by majority opinion anyway).

But there are fans that crap on 3D Mario as well.  I myself don't care for toon-shaded Zelda.  Metroid Prime always seemed like such an underdog though so I guess I'm more quick to defend it.

I do understand the concept of not liking a change in a series and being upset about it being permanent.  If I look at it from that point of view I get the Metroid Prime hate.