Author Topic: IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!! [OT] for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Movies & TV)  (Read 1162563 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Never heard of that kid before, but he looks a lot like Peter Parker from the original comics.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
The last thing I saw MCU related was Age of Ultron and it was a ridiculously lackluster film, especially after the fucking incredible Daredevil Netflix show.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Age of Ultron was a huge disappointment.  To me they basically made The Avengers movie all over again.  It just felt like the first movie had a huge part of the movie be the Avengers fighting each other, and then this movie the same thing. 

Now, I am not saying that the movie was bad or that the movie shouldn't have had some of those scenes of the Avengers not communicating and getting along.  But basically the first 3 movies that deal with all the Avengers together are going to be huge sections of the story be them fighting each other and to me that is silly.

I think the first movie could have been dealt with the Avengers reluctantly coming together without blows and working together for the greater good...and given Hawkeye a role that wasn't mindless puppet.  The second movie could have been the Scarlet Witch tearing them apart movie...showing them their greatest fears which leads to their reactions towards each other in the Civil War, and that would have flowed better. 

I am so glad Joss is off of the Avengers.  He can make good stuff, but he is also extremely overrated.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Joss did ok considering he had been given an impossible task. Not only did he have a dozen characters to write for, he also had to include at least three sequel and movie hooks, hence you get out of place things like the Thor's Well of something and Tony's messed up character arc. But what this movie shows is that MCU is on the verge of collapse. Like the comic universes before it, simple storyline consistences and character compromises is going to rip things apart. Having more characters is only going to hasten the process.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
I liked Age of Ultron for what it was, a fun movie. The infighting I think was done in a cool way (we needed to see the Hulkbuster, come on!) but I understand what you guys are saying. I would've liked Ultron to be less funny and more threatening but that's my only complaint. I liked it a lot!

Season 2 of Agents of Shield on Netflix on June 11th! Heck yeah!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Joss is a decent writer but he had too much on his plate coming from too many angles.

I just wish that the obsession with "fighting endless hordes" would stop.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
It's really hard to have a lot of heroes attack one villain without killing or knocking out most of them to have any real tension or seem heroic. It's why every time they fight Ultron they find a way to reduce it to a one on one fight.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
It's really hard to have a lot of heroes attack one villain without killing or knocking out most of them to have any real tension or seem heroic. It's why every time they fight Ultron they find a way to reduce it to a one on one fight.

It can be done.  If you build a smart and ruthless villain.  You can easily have them fighting 2-3 heroes at the same time.  Yes, it will usually not be all the heroes swinging and attacking at the same time...because that is dangerous to the heroes themselves.  But it could be something where Cap gets knocked away and then the next hero is going after them.  2 or 3 three of them could try to work together...or find their attacks do little to no damage. 

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
This is why I am sad that Doom will never be in the MCU. He is ruthless, but that armor also gives him the ability to take a punch.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
I want to see from later movies actually pick up from AOS rather than the other way around. It's unlikely that will happen, but the TV shows will always will feel like the "child properties" over the movies.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
The problem is movies come out twice a year...if you are lucky 3 times a year.  The television shows have several episodes.  The movies by design can be larger in scope. 

Instead of worrying about making the TV show lead into the movies more.  Disney should be willing to give the TV extra budget to do 2 things.  1) Have larger scope stories and at least bring the creative teams of the TV show and movies together more to work better.  2)  Have more guest star situations where the show more of the A-list characters.  3) Finally having the movies acknowledge that the TV shows exist even in minor references would be good. 

I have no idea why Avengers 2 didn't at least mention that Coulson was live...or have a guest star role with him.  Hell, even just him meeting with the team about the last Hydra base before the attack, could have been cool. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Just seeing the cast of AoS in the background of the Helicarrier in AoU would have gone a LONG way in unifying the mediums.

even if it was a sight gag thing were Coulson wandered out, and one of the Avengers came in the room and he slinked back out before he was noticed, or ducked behind Skye and May or something while slyly exiting the room.

As far as GRANDER SCOPE, AoS is bascially the 3-4 season long arc leading up to Inhumans.

They made a good gesture in their "lead-in" to Age of Ultron, now if they could build on that and hook the story into the lead in to Civil War a little more where the show really adds to the movie, for those that took the time to watch it, then they will be on to something.

They also need to find a way to wrap the Netflix shows into the AoS background somewhere. There needs to be cross over and tie-ins. Even if they don't actually do it till The Defenders mini-series, it needs to happen.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
The reason movies won't tie into a serialized television show is that it requires a knowledge of a serialized television show in order to be relevant, and that's a lot of effort to care about something that is a heftier time investment than a movie.

Also because the TV show isn't very good.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The reason movies won't tie into a serialized television show is that it requires a knowledge of a serialized television show in order to be relevant, and that's a lot of effort to care about something that is a heftier time investment than a movie.

Also because the TV show isn't very good.

Blasphemy!!!!

AoS S2 is a very good show.

And I'm not asking for the Movies to cliff hang into the 2nd half of a TV show. That would be a major turn off to the general audience that doesn't religiously following the MCU as it airs and probably too much for everyone involved if certain things were more self contained and all airing at the same time in all regions. It's impractical.

The show should just build on it's extremely minor prologue and epilogue it had leading into and out of AoU. Much like it built on everything at the end of S1 that brought it all together (TWS fallout) and ran with it throughout S2. S3 could be the one that got it ALL right, with the only missing piece just being a meaningful lead in and tie-in/after-effect to the movies. Most specifically, Civil War. And honestly, I think that's exactly what they are aiming towards with an almost 2.5 season build-up to it.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
Then the series barely has time to develop it's own stories and characters. You are asking a great deal of co-dependence on two things that are structured and scheduled/planned in very different ways.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
The Defenders part of the MCU i'm willing to give more patience to, as unlike all the movies and AOS, they tie into themselves and exist almost separately from the rest of the universe currently. Let those four tie together and go from there.

Agent Carter i deliberately left out of the mention, because, as ever, Peggy Carter is her own woman and she clearly does her own thing.

AOS S2 was a significant improvement over S1. While it wasn't as fearless as The Flash was with its first season introducing time travel in season 1 is a HUGE risk to take, something only the Doctor Who universe features as its cornerstone these days it finally learned what it needed to do. Whether AOS gets a fourth season, who knows.

However, there should have been a reference to the S2 finale of AOS at the end of AOU and their events, which would allow for sprinkles of Inhumans to be mentioned going forward into the movies. Missed opportunities there.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The Defenders part of the MCU i'm willing to give more patience to, as unlike all the movies and AOS, they tie into themselves and exist almost separately from the rest of the universe currently. Let those four tie together and go from there.

I agree, but I also think it would be the perfect place for a larger MCU tie-in, whether it be Dr. Strange and/or Agents of SHIELD cameo/crossover

Agent Carter i deliberately left out of the mention, because, as ever, Peggy Carter is her own woman and she clearly does her own thing.

All her stories are in the past, so at best they can be references to objects and events of the present.

AOS S2 was a significant improvement over S1. While it wasn't as fearless as The Flash was with its first season introducing time travel in season 1 is a HUGE risk to take, something only the Doctor Who universe features as its cornerstone these days it finally learned what it needed to do. Whether AOS gets a fourth season, who knows.

From what I've been told, is that if it gets a 3rd season order (which it did), that a 4th season is pretty much a lock, mostly for syndication purposes. Not to mention that even though AoS isn't blowing away rating, like NCIS or The Voice/American Idol or whatever, it's Live +1/+3 days are usually really really nice thanks to DVR viewers who don't watch the as it airs.

Because of how much money the movies are making, and the fact that they had not 1, but 2 spin-off projects in mind, I would wouldn't be surprised if AoS got a pass until it's 5th or even 6th season aired. Gotta build up HYPE on a weekly basis for all the Marvel movies (and Netflix shows) and then the eventual endgame of leading into and providing much history to INHUMANS by the time it hits the big screen.

However, there should have been a reference to the S2 finale of AOS at the end of AOU and their events, which would allow for sprinkles of Inhumans to be mentioned going forward into the movies. Missed opportunities there.

There is an opportunity in Ant-man to pick that ball up and carry to the finish line with a post-credit scene of some sort. Possibly even bringing back the One-Shots, or just letting S3 of AoS build it all up for chaos and backstory/setup to Civil War.

It would have been a spoiler of sorts to AoS if AoU referenced the ending of AoS at the end of AoU before AoS even aired its ending in the US.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Who is HYPED for this movie!?

my HYPE meter is just not registering anything..... is it broken?

...or just a delayed reaction!?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Must be broken.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
This is me giving no fucks.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
I think it's going to under-perform for several reasons, but I still want to see it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
[aka Jessica Jones]

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Someone have her check those bags for kirbykillerdedede.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Living in a country without Netflix kinda sucks. 

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
Wait a minute...are they doing the Purple Man story with Jessica Jones?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading: