Author Topic: Has anyone else tried Sands of Destruction?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Has anyone else tried Sands of Destruction?
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:11 AM »
I just sent it back to the non-unionized Canadian equivalent to Gamefly recently - was in the mood for a DS RPG and as a raging Chrono Trigger fanboy you've got me with Mitsuda music and a Kato plot.

Without spoiling anything, it doesn't do anything new or exciting with the genre but I enjoyed the plot enough to see it through to the end of the game. Also, the boss battles get REALLY cheap when they start getting 6-7 turns in a row and get to use their super move with a 45-second cutscene twice in a row. And you can't skip the battle cutscenes (though you can skip the story stuff if you want to).

Also, be ready to use sleep mode a lot because there's a lot of times where you'll want to save but the heal/save points are two areas away. It happened to me at least four or five times in a file that I finished in 25 hours (probably 30 with all the times the battery died in sleep mode while I slept or was working).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else tried Sands of Destruction?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:08:34 AM »
I don't like the sounds of the save issues and cheap moves. I was curious about the game but those problems you mentioned are big turnoffs for me in RPGs. I especially hate when I can't skip battle cut scenes.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else tried Sands of Destruction?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »
Yeah I heard about the ridiculous battles in a few reviews of the game.  When the enemies are having multiple turns to attack you is a bit ridiculous.  I was really interested in the game but immediately turned away from it when I read the reviews.  I'm all for challenging gameplay in an age of Hard = Normal Mode, but that's a bit overboard there.