Author Topic: GCN Emulator for Wii/WiiU  (Read 6050 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
GCN Emulator for Wii/WiiU
« on: July 05, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614506

Supports LAN mode using Wii's Wireless?  So excite.

Only uses .ISOs at this point.  Would love to get Double Dash up and running on it. :D  How do I make my own ISO from a GCN disk?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: GCN Emulator for Wii/WiiU
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Holy ****... this is huge. I know what I'm going to be trying to do all day.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614506

Supports LAN mode using Wii's Wireless?  So excite.

Only uses .ISOs at this point.  Would love to get Double Dash up and running on it. :D  How do I make my own ISO from a GCN disk?

Not really an emulator just lets a Wii or Wii U load GameCube games in Wii/Wii U mode. Still pretty awesome. You can use the BBA to rip your discs...probably gonna have to looks for some old information. Use Phantasy Star Online and the exploit...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 01:36:35 AM »
GBATemp sucks big time. It's nearly impossible to find anything. And noone bothers to write proper official thread, no you supposed to read all 40+ pages to know your own specific thing.

On Devolution. I'm mainly interested in this because my used F-Zero disc is in a very bad shape, i get disc error half of the time i try to play the game (especially crushing when finishing hard challenge and you get an error and lose progress). But first post on GBATemp mentions F Zero is not working or something and i checked last few pages and noone say it was fixed eventually.

Still i tried it, i first had to dump it on SD Card with CleanRip on Wii and i think the tool crapped out in the middle of dumping but still created the iso file. When i tried the game through Devolution on Wii, it showed me logo screen and then sad my disc is corrupted.

Then i tried more reliable disc. I took Eternal Darkness, played it a bit to check if it's alright (hmm, very intriguing game, and it doesn't even look as bad as some say) and dumped it on SD Card. CleanRip did it's thing and also used some site to check if it's legit (hehe, reminds of all that DRM shenanigans) and created iso file.

I checked it through Devolution on Wii and it worked okay. Though during the disc slot was flashing entire time and if does access the disc all the time during Devolution session then what's the point?

On Wii U iso file didn't work. It just showed me black screen for five minutes until i pressed power and it went back to Homebrew channel.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=206962

I haven't started trying this yet, but I can't wait to give it a shot.

The built-in DRM-esque mechanics are neat - it's a shame someone will probably edit the whole thing to throw those out the window.

Still - the chance to get 8-system Mario Kart: Double Dash up and running... since I only have five BBAs, this entire thing should work nicely.

Now, I have seven copies of Double Dash.  If I was going to be a dirty, cheating pirate, I could rip one of them and use that one rip in any combination of my 4 Wiis/Wii U... but I really fell that I should have to have an 8th copy in order to be all legit and such.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:52:41 AM »
I've spent half of Sunday trying to make it work on Wii U.

Well, at least i was able to make it work with Timesplitters 2 on original Wii. Since Devolution made Classic Controller usable for GC games, it was the first time i was able to control the game at all.

Even then there are some quirks, like changed mapping of buttons which is understandable. L1 doesn't work in-game, but it switches something really weird inside Devolution so stick starts to work like in Wii VC N64 emulator or something like that.

Game itself also does something with aiming so it took me awhile get use to it and set it up.

(nice game, i only played first level because it was just for testing and because i didn't understand what am i supposed to do after destroying zombie in container)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
I've spent half of Sunday trying to make it work on Wii U.

Well, at least i was able to make it work with Timesplitters 2 on original Wii. Since Devolution made Classic Controller usable for GC games, it was the first time i was able to control the game at all.

Even then there are some quirks, like changed mapping of buttons which is understandable. L1 doesn't work in-game, but it switches something really weird inside Devolution so stick starts to work like in Wii VC N64 emulator or something like that.

Game itself also does something with aiming so it took me awhile get use to it and set it up.

(nice game, i only played first level because it was just for testing and because i didn't understand what am i supposed to do after destroying zombie in container)

I remember being stuck after destroying the mutant container too. I still don't remember what you HAVE to do next but I remember how the level ends. strange.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:20:26 AM »
I've spent some more time on this yesterday and apparently to play your GC games on Wii U you need not only to verify iso file on Wii but also have to sync up wiimotes for that. And then use the same wiimotes on Wii U.

It's actually a neat idea.

The built-in DRM-esque mechanics are neat - it's a shame someone will probably edit the whole thing to throw those out the window.
I looked up sources for this thing. Hacking this and removing DRM won't be as easy as that, cause main functionality is hidden inside custom binary.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
Yeah, it was wiimote thing. It's working! Gamecube games on my Wii U. Neat.

Tested it out with Ikaruga. Works great, though aspect ratio feels weird, might want to look up how to change it. No audio problems, no nothing, it's flawless.

I'm not sure if i will actually play some Wii U games that way, but it's cool anyway.