Author Topic: Nintendo Selects Line Expanding On March 11  (Read 7150 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Selects Line Expanding On March 11
« on: February 12, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

Only a Canadian price is known so far

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41933/nintendo-selects-line-expanding-on-march-11

The Nintendo Selects line is expanding again for North America.

Canadian video game retailer VideoGamesPlus posted a Tweet announcing the new games, which cover some rarities for Wii U, Wii and 3DS. The Canadian MSRP will be $29.99, and the new pricing/packaging will debut on March 11.

The affected games:

• Wii U - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, NES Remix Pack, Pikmin 3
  • Wii - Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario All-Stars, Animal Crossing City Folk
  • 3DS - Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Mario Party Island Tour, Yoshi's New Island, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Selects Line Expanding On March 11
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
Wow, no Skyward Sword eh? It's been fairly overpriced for a while now (at least in Canada) and I was really hoping it would show up in the next wave of these. Guess my only hope now is a release on the eShop.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »
Not sure most of these really qualify as deals... but more stock of Pikmin 3 is a good thing, and the price for Super Mario 3D World is appealing.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »
You can get a used copy of Animal Crossing: City Folk for like $10.00 in Canada. How is this a deal? With the Wii Online dead, you can't voice chat or trade with other players. Not sure how enjoyable the game will be with those features gone. This is an odd decision.

And Mario Party: Island Tour has been selling at like $29.99 at most stores already since near its release. Another weird announcement to make.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
City Folk is over 6 years old at this point and has a sequel that improves upon it in almost every way, WHY?!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:53:13 PM »
City Folk is over 6 years old at this point and has a sequel that improves upon it in almost every way, WHY?!

Because there was no traditional Animal Crossing released for the Wii U.  Releasing City Folk is a cheap way to try and take advantage of people who might think it's a new real Animal Crossing and get some extra sales that way.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline ghosthunter117

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »
When I see Ocarina of Time 3D and Pikmin 3 all I can think about is a collection of annoyed Amazon sellers because those prices are jacked up.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:03:05 PM »
I'm questioning the demand for Wii games getting included here.  Those games are pretty old now.  Most stores I go to don't even have any more new Wii games in stock.

I only recently finished a long and annoying saga of obtaining a physical copy of Pikmin 3 (including ending up with same scratched copy TWICE) and now mere weeks later this is announced.  *sigh* At least I don't have the ugly Selects box art.  Why do these "hits" lineups all have ugly boxart?  It isn't like they share shelf space with full priced normal box versions so I'm persuaded to buy the more expensive one.  Usually the remaining normal stock are discounted by the store as well.  I guess the idea is to discourage me from waiting for a game to be discounted?  In the end I find it encourages used purchases on my part as I try to seek out the non-hits version.  Steering me towards a used sale has got to the be the opposite of the strategy here.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 03:08:44 AM »
Wow, no Skyward Sword eh? It's been fairly overpriced for a while now (at least in Canada) and I was really hoping it would show up in the next wave of these. Guess my only hope now is a release on the eShop.

"Master, there is a 34,287 to 1 chance you will regret this purchase."

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 03:29:38 AM »
When I see Ocarina of Time 3D and Pikmin 3 all I can think about is a collection of annoyed Amazon sellers because those prices are jacked up.

Actually, I do like that. Earlier this year, I was checking up on some titles I didn't own yet through Craig's List to see if anyone was selling them second hand at a good price. There was just one person in the area selling OoT 3D for $60.00 although he had 4 copies. I was surprised at that but in his ad, he said the print run was sold out and that you couldn't find it in stores anymore. I was surprised because I'd always seen it in stores since it was released. I went out and checked a few of the local electronic stores and, sure enough, I couldn't find copies of it anywhere in the city.

The seller soon upped the price to $80.00. I know this because I'd check in every few days to see if anyone else was selling a copy and at a lower price so that I could now get a copy of a game I thought would never disappear of store shelves before the only copies left were in scalpers hands. Then, a couple months later, I was in a Best Buy to get some streetpass tags and browsed through the 3DS selection while waiting for that and saw they suddenly had 16 copies of the game. I decided to buy it then before this sudden miracle boom of OoT games disappeared. I felt like posting an ad telling people to go to that Best Buy if they wanted a copy of the game just to ruin the scalper's $80.00 dream but didn't bother. As it stands, I think Nintendo did another run of the game because then it kept popping up again all over and has been on store shelves again along with Majora's Mask and ALBW ever since. Now, I kind of regret buying it at full price knowing that unlike Star Fox 64 3D or Kid Icarus, Nintendo appears to have kept making copies of that game for retail release and I could most likely have got it at a lower price. Curse you scalper for creating a false scarcity!!!

C'est la vie.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Cyrian

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »
Was City Folk not a Nintendo Selects game in Canada before? I have a Selects copy I got years ago.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »
Interesting how they're bringing back this line for reduced-priced games even though they've lowered the price of some other games without using this label.

I hope these come to the US also, though I also hope they'll be $19.99 if they do. If they're still $29.99 then it wouldn't make sense in the case of DKCR, SMG2, NES Remix Pack and Super Mario All-Stars, as that's the normal price for those games anyway. Speaking of, Super Mario All-Stars seems like a strange choice regardless, and I imagine it isn't going to have the extras still like the so-called "limited edition" did.

I'd consider checking out Yoshi's New Island for $19.99 or less. I also might get Mario Party Island Tour just to see how it is, though I'd probably see if the lowered price would cause it to fall even lower than $19.99.

Was City Folk not a Nintendo Selects game in Canada before? I have a Selects copy I got years ago.
I was wondering the same thing. It already was added to the Nintendo Selects line years ago, though this could also just be announcing a reprint for it. If it wasn't available in Canada then it could also mean this line is Canada-only which is also strange.

I'd also say that without the online features, the game isn't worth it.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 02:50:29 PM »
In Europe the Nintendo selects prices applied to the eshop versions as well so there's that to look forward to if it carries over. On the eshop there is no intentionally ugly box art and you don't need to mess around changing discs.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »
I feel like it's kinda too late for a lot of these titles.  Had they done some of those Wii/U games within the past year while people were getting excited over Splatoon and Smash, I think they could've gotten more people interested.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »
Mario Party: Island tour. the second worst Mario party, srsly?
Made you look ****.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 06:54:15 PM »
So this means the price for the digital versions will drop as well right???

...Right???

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 01:27:46 AM »
One can only hope.

Also, I want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, but I don't want to pay 40 bucks for it. WHY NO SELECT?!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 08:27:19 AM »
I hadn't checked recently to see the price of Super Mario All Stars, but back when I got it, the Wii Copies were selling for something like $50-$60. 

Just checked, Gamestop sells a used copy at $31, silly people at Amazon are selling it for $55+.

Hopefully the Wii selects line is at $20.  That'd be a good price for a copy of Mario All Stars. 

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
I hadn't checked recently to see the price of Super Mario All Stars, but back when I got it, the Wii Copies were selling for something like $50-$60. 

Just checked, Gamestop sells a used copy at $31, silly people at Amazon are selling it for $55+.

Hopefully the Wii selects line is at $20.  That'd be a good price for a copy of Mario All Stars.

Not disagreeing with your point, but it's still silly that a gussied up SNES ROM goes for that price.

I'll be interested to see the details when this game comes out (ie: what does packaging look like, and whether it includes the soundtrack or booklet from the original). I've got a pretty solid Wii collection but missed this game initially. A re-release is kind of tempting, although I'll have to wait and see if it's worth the asking price.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 10:36:18 AM »

Not disagreeing with your point, but it's still silly that a gussied up SNES ROM goes for that price.

I'll be interested to see the details when this game comes out (ie: what does packaging look like, and whether it includes the soundtrack or booklet from the original). I've got a pretty solid Wii collection but missed this game initially. A re-release is kind of tempting, although I'll have to wait and see if it's worth the asking price.

At the going rate of what Nintendo charges for the 4 games on e-shop, $20 is on-par.  I get your argument too, that games so old shouldn't cost so much (or maybe it's an argument that it's silly to charge $20 while SNES e-shop games are $8). 

That said, I appreciate having a copy of this game on a disc, and i've gotten a lot of play with it since buying it, so I sure as hell wasn't one lambasting Nintendo or others for buying it at the $30 price point.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. It already was added to the Nintendo Selects line years ago, though this could also just be announcing a reprint for it. If it wasn't available in Canada then it could also mean this line is Canada-only which is also strange.

A Canada-only style of branding could actually have some collector's value in the future.  That's not a reason for eBay idiots to buy them all up and try to sell them at marked up prices only for NOA to release the same thing a month later.  I'm talking like 10 years from now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 12:56:45 PM »
...  I get your argument too, that games so old shouldn't cost so much (or maybe it's an argument that it's silly to charge $20 while SNES e-shop games are $8).  ...

Either way - although I was mostly thinking that as a SNES ROM for Super Mario All-Stars $8 would be the "appropriate" price.

I agree though - there is definitely enough gameplay value packed into these classic games for many. But I already own all four games in different formats, so the $30 price point is harder to justify personally (despite a preference for physical media).

Does anyone think there is a chance they'll include the soundtrack or art book?
Am I crazy to hope for that to happen?

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »

This is half the reason I wanna play it at this point. After seeing all the criticism its gotten, I feel like I need to see for myself whether it's really that lackluster since I've never played a Zelda game I didn't at least like.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
My cartridge for Super Mario All-Stars is on the fritz, usually it'll work fine for a while but then all the sudden, the saves are gone. That made getting the Wii version worth it to me, though I also like having it as a collector's item since it has a nice box. The book and soundtrack were disappointing, however; the Kirby anniversary had much better ones. It's sad how Kirby got something much better, in the sense that Mario deserved better.

But yeah, I wouldn't expect this to be anything more than the disc, in a slightly different case. Note how they didn't use the rest of the title, such as "Limited Edition."

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »

This is half the reason I wanna play it at this point. After seeing all the criticism its gotten, I feel like I need to see for myself whether it's really that lackluster since I've never played a Zelda game I didn't at least like.
If it makes you feel any better thats the only Zelda game I haven't liked.

Besides Zelda 2 but that's for its own reasons.