Author Topic: Biggest Gaming Regrets  (Read 16136 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Biggest Gaming Regrets
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 02:42:42 AM »
To this day I'm still convinced that Vince McMahon paid Vince Russo a **** ton to go to WCW and burn it to the ground. There is no other explanation. His shoot promo on Hulk Hogan was epic though.

Tank Abbott as world champion was gonna work, dawg.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »
Selling off any game I previously owned.

Rouge Squadron 2 on the Gamecube was a recent one. I sold it because the 3rd one had the entire 2nd game in it with co-op. But I wanted to play it later without co-op and ended up repurchasing it.

I also regret not buying Chrono Trigger and a few other SNES games when I had the chance as a kid. My friend owned them so I just borrowed them, not realizing the value they would hold later.

The biggest regret was letting my mother convince me to sell all my NES stuff because I was getting a SNES for my birthday. A lady tricked my poor-at-math kid brain and walked off with 7-8 games leaving me with not even 10 dollars. Ironically all of my games got sold off that day except for one of those crappy Bible games (the one that was like Mario Party) and the system. So mom ended up letting me keep the system but all of my old Nintendo and Capcom games (don't remember what else I had besides those two companies) were gone. I re-bought the original Super Mario Brothers at ToysAreThem a year or so later for $25 because I was still a dumb kid who couldn't count right. Mom did say she was sorry for making me sell them all because she saw me trying to re-buy the same games down the road. She viewed a game system like a cassette deck or a car in that you didn't need multiples of them for one person until she saw my actions.

Lastly, I used to keep all of the boxes for any game I got. Kept them on a shelf as a kid. I was slowly badgered to give them up, starting with the oldest and the non-Nintendo ones. I actually saved all sorts of packaging, from LEGOs, GI-Joes, Star Wars and other toys. Looking back I could have sold most of these for a bundle. I do still have most every game manual I ever owned in a box or two in the closet. May have a box or two like the holo N64 Zeldas but I would have to look to be sure. I gave the Yoshi's Story box to my youngest sister as a gift because she loved that game. It was her first experience with gaming.

Hell, lets keep going and add all of my Nintendo Power magazines from several years of subscriptions. I finally let those get recycled after I was finagled out of my box collection.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Cyrian

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »
About five years or so ago eStarland got a complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga in stock for $205, and I saw it as soon as it went live. At the time that was on the high end of what it was going for, but now I seriously wish I'd jumped on it when I had the chance.

Other biggest regret, I used to have a habit of playing games partway through and then moving on to something else. I did that with Final Fantasy 7 when it first came out, and quit before Aeris died. By the time I got back to playing it that point had well been spoiled, which always made me kind of sad.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:09:36 PM by Cyrian »

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
I'll break it down into a few different categories:

Worst game I bought for the stupidest reason - Hydlide.  The name is reminiscent of Hyrule and the boxart is similar to Dragon Warrior, two of my favorite games at the time.  Long story short, there went one of the 2 games per annum (at most) I received as a kid.

Game I really wish I didn't sell - Tetris DS.  The game was tetris without korobeiniki, therefor it wasn't tetris.  I traded it in for maybe $20.

The time I screwed up most falling for "hype" - Medal of Honor: Heroes.  I was mostly on the IGN insider forum at the  time and according to everyone it had the best controls and online for any Wii FPS.  Not so much on the first and maybe on the second but big deal.  Wasted $50 gift card.

Offline geckog7

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »
Like the thread starter, I too regret giving away my GCN with GBA player. My biggest regret is getting rid of my Super Nintendo. I also never played through Chrono Trigger (rented it, but never bought it)

Non-Nintendo regret: letting my sister steal my PS1 copy of Symphony of the Night and Suikoden.

On the positives, I kept my N64 and I also never bought a Wii, so my Wii U has been getting used catching up on those games I missed :-). I can play  my 2 favorite games on Wii U (Link to the Past and Resident Evil Remake)

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 04:24:46 AM »

Worst game I bought for the stupidest reason - Hydlide.  The name is reminiscent of Hyrule and the boxart is similar to Dragon Warrior, two of my favorite games at the time.  Long story short, there went one of the 2 games per annum (at most) I received as a kid.

Ha, oh man, I had that game. I was so young that I thought the fact that it was so terrible was my fault. I'd actually be interested in trying it again to see how my 20-years-older self handles it.

Here's a couple of mine:

-I bought Xenoblade off the shelf at a Gamestop in Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn, and the dude at the counter was like "that's our only copy. Nobody here pre-ordered it." I got about 10 hours in before my launch Wii's disc drive died. I intended to hold on to it until I got a WiiU so I could pick it back up, but I hit a money crunch and sold it back for like $15 cash. BIG FUCKING MISTAKE.

-I bought a used 360 in the first year of release because I wanted to play Perfect Dark Zero, which was terrible. While playing this terrible game, my 360 RRODed. Once I received it back, there wasn't much else out, but I hung on for Dead Rising because Dawn of the Dead was one of my favorite movies. I bought DR at full price, and played it for about four hours before quitting, because (A.) It was awful and (B.) I had an SD TV at the time, and the on-screen text, of which there was a lot, was unreadable.

-The original Harvest Moon is one of my most cherished video game memories, and I was never able to get a hold of Harvest Moon 64. When A Wonderful Life came out on GC I bought it at full price upon release. Played it for four hours, and it was terrible, traded it back at a huge loss.

-I left my SNES, 64, and GC game collection at home when I went to college. My goddamned little brother sold them all to Game Crazy, including my gold Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask carts and my Master's Quest disc.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
-I bought Xenoblade off the shelf at a Gamestop in Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn, and the dude at the counter was like "that's our only copy. Nobody here pre-ordered it." I got about 10 hours in before my launch Wii's disc drive died. I intended to hold on to it until I got a WiiU so I could pick it back up, but I hit a money crunch and sold it back for like $15 cash. BIG FUCKING MISTAKE.

Ouch. Holy ****, I actually cringed reading that.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
-I left my SNES, 64, and GC game collection at home when I went to college. My goddamned little brother sold them all to Game Crazy, including my gold Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask carts and my Master's Quest disc.

These sorts of stories always horrify me because my family members would never blatantly steal from each other like that.  If my brother did that to me, he wouldn't be my brother anymore.  Yet, I meet all sorts of people with similar stories and they somehow haven't disowned their family members.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 12:36:46 PM »
Because they're your family, and family is more important than video games? Forgive and forget, dude.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 01:12:48 PM »
I traded in my brother's original Xbox when he went to visit relatives with my parents. I put it towards an Xbox 360 so I kept all the games which were on the backwards compatibility list. I came up with the troll (my brother really wanted a 360 and isn't a collector) and my mom, sister, and girlfriend at the time collectively agreed to pretend to ruin his birthday. When he came back, I told him I sold his Xbox and I was being especially douchey to him in other ways. I think he was ready to punch me in the face when he saw the 360 and Gears of War sitting on his bed. My ex-girlfriend told me he gave her a what-the-****-is-his-problem look. This was one of my proudest moments.

I would never dream of selling off someone else's things, let alone my brother's. I realize parents clean out their basement/attic, but at least ask first.

Anyway, I have a near-regret. I almost traded in one of the Zelda bonus discs to GameStop (I forget if it was the Master Quest one or the other one). The employee actually convinced me not to because it was rare-ish. Not all my Gamestop experiences are horror stories.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
My biggest gaming regret is not finishing Skies of Arcadia because I saved right at the beginning of a match that is impossible to win at the level I'm in. It's a bounty hunt where I'm taking down my impostors. I was too brazen and took them on before I was truly ready.

To be clear, I've tried to beat them at least 20x and couldn't. It's impossible. So it's either I start over or never play the game again. So far, I've chosen the later.

But damn I love that game. I still play some of its music from time to time.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
Because they're your family, and family is more important than video games? Forgive and forget, dude.

Is my family important to me because of the good relationship we have built together or because we share genetics?  If someone betrays my trust in a way that would completely destroy a friendship or a romantic relationship should they get a free pass because they happen to be related to me?  It's not about videogames but rather the betrayal of trust caused by someone stealing from you.  But then my family doesn't do stuff like that so I don't know how I would truly react to it.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »

If a sibling broke my favorite game/console/whatever, I'd be fine with forgive and forget. Hopefully they would be willing to replace it, but if cost or availability makes that unreasonable then I'd just grin and bear it. Stuff is just stuff, and family is clearly more important.

But if a sibling sold off my stuff without permission, I'd be upset and make sure they knew exactly why. That's totally disrespectful.  Replacement wouldn't just be a nice idea, it would be an obligation.  (Flip side: I know people who go to college and expect life to stand still while they are gone. Gotta be realistic, especially if the concept of ownership isn't something well understand with younger family members.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »

But if a sibling sold off my stuff without permission, I'd be upset and make sure they knew exactly why. That's totally disrespectful.  Replacement wouldn't just be a nice idea, it would be an obligation.  (Flip side: I know people who go to college and expect life to stand still while they are gone. Gotta be realistic, especially if the concept of ownership isn't something well understand with younger family members.)

Considering some of the things that have gone down in my family, a fluid concept of ownership is preeetttty far down on the disown list. I think I was actually more pissed that my mom sold my car after I went to college. I had bought it for $250, but still.

It did have the unintended consequence, along with optical media, that I don't hold on to games anymore. I didn't have the heart to replace the lost stuff, plus I never replay stuff on my own anymore, so I've tried to divest myself of the urge to possess video games. Now they are fleeting experiences, like honeymoon relationships.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
I'm with Ian on this. Family just doesn't do stuff like that if they are really your family. But I was lucky and had a good one that respected each other. I had some friends where that was not the case (not just with stuff but with general treatment of each other) and I know some of those friends no longer talk to their 'family'. Family ties are stronger than blood. I've seen people come together with no blood and forge stronger bonds than some families ever could. It becomes very hard to forgive if the offender does not show signs of remorse, repentance or respect for you. True family or friends would realize their wrong and try to make amends or at least stop what they are doing in the future.

I listen to some financial and legal talk shows and it is astounding how many family members will screw over their parents/kids/spouses. Maybe my family was different because my parents had it worse and so they committed to never do the same thing to my sisters and I. My dad had a very rare coin collection that his mom used it to pay the paperboy while he was away. She also sold his baseball card collection. Both of those could have funded his retirement on their own today twice over.

The closest thing I ever experienced was my mom making me sell off my NES to get an SNES, but that was more of a 'deal' I agreed to than just going behind your back and doing it.

My wife and I have slightly differing opinions on the matter but she sides with me the more we talk about it. Her mom was that way with her, taking and tossing or selling her nice things. She has five things from her childhood and those are mostly because her grandmother held onto them. Her concern is to not have a hoarder's mentality and end up with a ton of junk. We're still working on a fine balance since I am a pack rat at heart but we are finding our way. I want to have it hammered out before we have kids so that they won't have to deal with 'double standard parenting'.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
My family isn't close.  Its our nature.  Its how the family is.  We rarely talk.  My Brother has a fluid sense of what is his.  Everything in the family is his.  My Mom is much the same way.  She's very much an Indian Giver.

I can understand most of the sentiments here.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »
Damn, you guys have shitty families.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
I'm one of the suckers who got conned into buying a 3DS at the original price, though I'd probably regret that even without the massive price drop for various reasons. That thing was like an unfinished prototype that never should have been released in its current state, and it's a shame it's still on the market. Fortunately, I was able to buy a 3DS XL on sale and sell my original for a good price, so I switched to a far superior XL for about $10.

Beyond that, there's not much. I regret not having foresight when I was younger, and not buying more SNES games when I had the chance. Back when they were actually in game stores like GameStop and EB Games and all them, they were a lot cheaper than what they go for today. I'm sure I passed up a lot of games that have gone on to reach absurd prices. Not that I really could have guessed this would happen, but still, I'm sure I missed out on things I would have enjoyed even back then. The GameCube is a similar case, its games are starting to go up in price and now I kinda wished I had grabbed a few more games for that when they were cheap.

I don't really sell games because I know I'd regret it later. The first game I sold was Quest 64 which I ended up buying back years later, except now I don't have the box and manual anymore. I've gotten back the few games I've ever sold except for one, which is Eternal Darkness. I never actually played it and still don't care to.

Offline CaptainK.923

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 12:42:24 AM »
I used to work at FuncoLand, and I held in my hands at least a dozen times CIB copies of Earthbound that would have cost me a cool $40. I had rented the game, and while I liked it, I didn't absolutely LOVE it, so I decided I'd just get it later. It's a Nintendo title, and those always stick around, right? Now that it's on VC, I've found that I like the game a lot more than I did the first time I played it, and I wish wish wish I had a CIB original copy for my collection. Now I have to save up a couple hundred dollars to get what I could have had all these years.