Author Topic: Tekken Director Calls Wii U GamePad 'Distracting' for Fighting Games  (Read 5808 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

The Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 will use the GamePad in a far simpler manner.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31025

The Wii U's GamePad could be potentially distracting for fighting games, Tekken series leader Katsuhiro Harada recently told Eurogamer in an interview.

Harada feels that for fighting games, the Wii U's GamePad could distract gamers during a match. Due to this, the Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 will use it in a simpler manner.

Harada elaborates that "looking at the small screen and the big screen at the same time is pretty distracting for a fighting game, so we're thinking of making it useful as a way of having shortcuts."

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game will be released on September 14. The Wii U version is set to release in the system's launch window title and will include some exclusive features.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ROiDS

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tekken Director Calls Wii U GamePad 'Distracting' for Fighting Games
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Harada actually corrected this and stated "difficult" not "distracting."

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/222703388025032704
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:39:02 PM by ROiDS »
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline ROiDS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »
Is it just me or adding raw links when posting makes your post invisible on the the main site's Talkback section?
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
It makes sense for such a reflex/reaction heavy game to not use a dual screen + touch screen set up where both screens have equal importance and require equal attention.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
Why do you need a touchscreen for a fighting game anyway? I'm sure it would be distracting, but since it isn't needed anyway just don't use it.
is your sanity...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:15 AM »
I can't see using the touch screen for more than doodling on your defeated opponents. That's still a feature, right?

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:09:22 AM »
Uh, yeah, for fighting games....I've played both SSF4 and DOA on the 3DS, and they have some really different takes on how to use that bottom screen.  DOA puts a move-list down there, which is good.  SSF4 has your ultras down there as touch screen macros....which is not so good.  I'm actually alright at that game, so I never took advantage of it, since the time it takes to move your thumb over there is a WHOLE LOT of time in a fighting game.

Fortunately, when you play multiplayer SSF4 let you avoid players using the touch screen.  Which was an absolute necessity.   I tried a random match with no filters once, and the bastard was using Guile, of course, so he could do flash kicks and sonic booms without a charge.   Seriously.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:01:34 AM »
It could be useful in something like Mortal Kombat where you have the opponent finished off and then you could use the touchscreen to access a drop down list of all the various fatalities and babalities and so on and then you could quickly select the one you want to do. At this point the fight is over and the opponent is staggering around, so the few seconds of distraction it would take to use the screen wouldn't be a problem.
is your sanity...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »
For training purposes I think there's quite alot you could do on the Gamepad screen. Having constant access to a move list on that screen would of course be useful, but I wonder if they could also display in real-time your inputs. Some of the problems I have with training modes in fighting games is that I feel like I'm executing the moves correctly but clearly am not. If such a game were to show me what movements and button presses are required, while also showing me in real-time what I'm actually inputting, I think that might help me quite a bit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:25:09 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
I don't think anyone seriously thought the touchscreen would be of any real use in the Fighting Genre.  At best it can be an info dump.  Move Lists, ongoing statistics, etc.  In training mode allowing you to see a history of the actual button presses and stick movements.  Fighting Genre has had its ideal control scheme probably longer then any genre.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
Anything where looking away could kill you isn't suited for the Gamepad screen.  Of course that's like every game ever made that's actually exciting to play.

Anyway... a list of moves would fit best.  Looking down at the screen and getting your ass handed to you is really no different than looking at a printed move list so they might as well automate it.  And there is a big difference between LISTING the moves and letting you just pick them and have them automatically do it.  If you can't do the moves yourself, why the **** are you playing a fighting game?  That's the fighting game version of the Super Guide.  If you want a fighting game where you don't have to learn how to do the moves stick to SSB.  SF II wasn't a phenomenon because it was accessible.

Though as long as they let you turn it off and be able to block online opponents that use the Super Guide, then it's acceptable.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »
If you can't do the moves yourself, why the **** are you playing a fighting game?  That's the fighting game version of the Super Guide.  If you want a fighting game where you don't have to learn how to do the moves stick to SSB.  SF II wasn't a phenomenon because it was accessible.

Though as long as they let you turn it off and be able to block online opponents that use the Super Guide, then it's acceptable.

Yeah, I think it's fine to have automated special moves for those who just like mashing buttons with a few friends and seeing cool s***. I've found that particular feature useful when playing with friends or family who don't know how to pull off Supers but seem to get a kick out of simply pressing the big button on the screen and seeing their character do a cool move. As long as those players are filtered online like they are in SSFIV 3D Edition I have no problem with it.
Gouge away.

Offline Thaneros

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 03:01:10 AM »
I guess no one remembers the Bleach fighting games on DS games.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 04:28:20 AM »
Or Jump Superstars :faust:

But yeah, like, Tekken doesn't even hardly have any difficult motions to shortcut on the touchscreen, even if it was a good idea. It's pretty much logically impossible to do something gameplay related with it.

I guess there's lots of fun dumb stuff you could do with it though. I would love to have touchable preconstructed taunt messages so I could make my character hurf out a "LOL NUB" voice bubble while simultaneously juggling the opponent across the stage.