Author Topic: What's with EA and fighting games?  (Read 2216 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
What's with EA and fighting games?
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »
This weekend I rented "Def Jam: Icon"  for my 360 and came to the realization that EA seems to have trouble developing fighting games.

The main issue is speed. First, the fighters move at an incredibly slow pace. Moving them around is like a chore.   Second they perform kicks and punches very slowly as well, making it, IMHO, an unrealistic fighter. It was so bad that at times it put me to sleep and didn't bother with it afterwards.

The reason I mention this is because this problem was present in another fighting game done by EA, although a different type of fighting game, Fight Night Round 3. The characters also moved slowly and their punches lacked speed and strength.

It just seems that EA can't make compelling and fun fighters. Now I may be wrong since I only played two of their games, but as a fighting game fan I find it weird how these fighters are surprisingly slow in execution.

In real life fighters throw punches and kicks as fast as possible. There is no delay when executing the move. Fighters also move at a reasonable pace. This element has been present in nearly all fighting games, including boxing games. Hell, even Wii Boxing got things right as the characters move and throw punches fast, making for some exciting matches.

So to EA next time to make a fighting game keep in mind speed. Fighters don't move around slowly nor throw slow punches and kicks. That's not how fighting matches are, whether it be street fighting or boxing.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:What's with EA and fighting games?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:52:53 AM »
Umm... All you really needed to say was:

This weekend I rented "Def Jam: Icon"  for my 360 and came to the realization that EA seems to have trouble developing...

and the rest is just filling in the blank with, well, EVERYTHING.

I mean, come on. EA sucks threads are a dime a dozen.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: What's with EA and fighting games?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:56:54 AM »
That made me chuckle.  Bravo, denjet.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 10:53:36 AM »
I was going to check out the demo for Icon but the general consensus is that it's pretty shizzer.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
Isn't that the one where you play to a beat or something?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:33:35 AM »
I agree with you on Def Jam Icon, but you are way off base on Fight Night Round 3. That game plays extraordinarily well. Fight Night is one of the few series by EA in which the game play is top notch.  
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."