Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 664162 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
In Japan, Virtua Fighter is the most popular fighting game series. Its more popular than Tekken, DOA, SF, etc. It should have sold far better.

Shows me just how poorly PS3 is doing in Japan then if that is the case.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile

In Japan, Virtua Fighter is the most popular fighting game series. Its more popular than Tekken, DOA, SF, etc. It should have sold far better.

I'm not sure about the arcades in Japan, but VF has been on the decline ever since the release of VF3. Nobody really expect VF5 to that blockbuster that is gonna make Japan forget about the $600 entrance fee to play a game that they've been playing for many many months at about a $1 per play.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Never liked VF. It just always seemed like the type of game which was intended to demonstrate the Saturn's 3D graphics and not much else.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

except it came out two years before the saturn and was a huge success and went down in history as starting a innovative new tyle of fitghing game. I liked the first two to tell you the truth, after that they kinda got list in the shuffle cuz SC and Tekken had comeonto the scene by then.  

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
Except that the arcade hardware running it at that time was more than likely highly similar to the Saturn's architecture (probably one of the reasons it was a pain to develop for).

Though, even if I'm wrong on that, I can't bring myself to care about the game enough to argue about it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I bought Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution for the PS2 (albiet used) and it didn't have a rumble feature. Didn't exactly instill me with confidence in the franchise.

But slightly closer to being on-topic, this either shows that a major title exclusive to the PS3 still can't sell the system in Japan, or it doesn't; VF5 is still in arcades but weren't Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II when they showed up on consoles? Just sayin'.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
Yeah, I still agree that it should have sold more than 32,000 copies on the first day of availability.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
My point was that VF has been a franchise declining in popularity since the release of VF3. I don;t have sales figures, butr I'm sure I could find them for you if you want. VF4 didn't sell enough in Japan to be considered anything special as a PS3 excusive. Nobody was expecting a sudden revival of the PS3 from a game that hasn't been a run-away success since its first sequel VF2.

Besides the game would be lucky to sell out and the shipment was only 100k. Even Sega wasn't expecting too much.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Finally delivered on the Duck game they have been showing me for generations.  I mean it had all of the PS2 to be developed it must be wonderful.

Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Ceric
Finally delivered on the Duck game they have been showing me for generations.  I mean it had all of the PS2 to be developed it must be wonderful.

Maybe the PS2 couldn't handle the LoD (lots of ducks) technology .
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Golden Pheonix:  I do not think it is really fair to not credit Sony for their success in PS1 and PS2 era consoles.  To say that is actively ignore all the smart decisions, and aggressive marketing and positioning Sony did while entering a new market.  

However, after 8 years of dominating the market Sony got complacent, and assumed they owned the industry (much like Nintendo did) and in their egotistic manner developed the next product they wanted create, and not what the gaming industry, or the gaming audience desired.

The two companies this year that actively spent time trying to determine what the market desires is Microsoft and Nintendo, and they are enjoying success from those decisions.  Sony is not enjoying the success it would of liked because of poor decisions this go around, not because they were always bad and got lucky from others mistakes.

Offline Mikintosh

• View Profile
But a video game system only moves because of good software, not good hardware; Sony doesn't really have much software expertise, and the reason for many of its best-sellers for the PS1 is that developers jumped ship from Nintendo in the mid-90s. If Nintendo had been nicer back then, I don't see how Sony would have succeeded.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Mikintosh
But a video game system only moves because of good software, not good hardware; Sony doesn't really have much software expertise, and the reason for many of its best-sellers for the PS1 is that developers jumped ship from Nintendo in the mid-90s. If Nintendo had been nicer back then, I don't see how Sony would have succeeded.

3rd Party Developers are part of the market too, and how Nintendo was treating them was one of their bad decisions: Limiting releases, high liscensing fees, game approval methods, Yamauchi's tough love policy and iron fist controlling everything involved with Nintendo.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
BlackNMild:  Exactly.  And another hardware decision that hurt Nintendo was to stick with Cartridges.  It was just a bad move that needlessly kept development costs high for 3rd party companies, and limited the amount of content available for the end consumer.

In the end, Software will make or break a system...but hardware has a huge part of realizing software potential, you can't have one without the other.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
There's a mixture of factors including positive moves, mistakes, and even counter measures to mistakes, in every generation.

A nice example of countering mistakes would be Sony taking advantage of the CD format to really push low-priced "best seller" games.  In my memory, at least, discounted best sellers were not a really common sight prior to the Playstation era - they existed, but they were rare.  Thanks to Sony, $30 (CDN) games became a common sight.  Nintendo was barely able to reach $50 CDN on N64 games and it probably would have preferred not to drop prices at all (see GBA - which got its first Player's Choice titles 3-4 years after launch.)  It was a clever way to take advantage of the manufacturing costs Nintendo 64 games faced.

Similarly, the rising cost of game development has been all the talk of the industry for the past couple of years and Nintendo, being a major software developer itself, saw an opportunity to slash development costs by making Wii hardly more powerful than current systems.  This has polarized hardcore gamers, but  it is turning out to be a big boon in these early months.  Imagine if it cost exactly the same to develop a Wii game as the other two systems: companies would be turning mostly to Xbox 360 because it has the biggest fanbase.  Instead, Wii is being touted as the solution because it has a decent (and rapidly growing) fanbase and it costs less to develop for.

Spak: you're right, hardware matters, because it can affect how things go in the software department.  It's important for the hardware to be designed with wise business targets in mind.  In the case of PS3, I think they forgot about the consumers in its desire to focus on Blu-ray.  In the case of, say, N64, I think Nintendo forgot about consumers and developers in its desire to create certain types of games.  Avoiding load times and creating large-scale streamable worlds are noble goals, but who do they benefit besides Miyamoto and co.?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
vf1 ran on the model 1 hardware, saturn was originally based on mdoel 2 hardware but still made changes, so saturn was a lot different than model 1.

Virtua Fighter *was* a very influencial franchise and has been placed in museums and givien recognition for its inovation, its was the FIRST 3D fighting game after all and every 3d fighting  game ever since had had some aspects taken directly from VF. That deosnt mean its a great series, like most Sega fans, and fans fo the series, I lost interest after 3, but thats common in fighitng game series. Most good fighting games series keep going but they ususaaly reach thier pinacle aroudn the third instalment.

AS for PS1, sony pretty much did *everything* right back then, although they are doing a lot of things wrong now they still have a large enough fanbase and product recognition. Didnt Sony themselves say theres no brand loyalty ammong gamers or was that MS.

I kinda expected FV5 to flop and I wishj they would just give it up and make a new series. Its hard to say for sure I expect Nintendo to come out on top but I still think Sony can pull it off if they get thier act together. whop knwos if they will but I still think they can if they tried. But hoepfully they will keep making more stupid mistakes and I get my wisha nd they go bankrupt.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

I'm not sure about the arcades in Japan, but VF has been on the decline ever since the release of VF3. Nobody really expect VF5 to that blockbuster that is gonna make Japan forget about the $600 entrance fee to play a game that they've been playing for many many months at about a $1 per play.

Not true. VF4 outsold VF3 by 200,000 units. In fact VF4 outsold VF3 lifetimes sales in its first week of release. No one expected VF5 to sell millions in Japan but it should have hit 100,000 in its first week. I mean even VF1 managed to sell over 51,000 units in its first week and it was a launch title for the Saturn. VF3 was a launch title for the Dreamcast and it sold over 110,000 copies. VF5's poor sales is an indictment of the PS3's poor showing in Japan.
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
VF5's first week isn't over yet... just fyi.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
especially considering VF1 had alread been released on 32X and the launch versions SUCKED and they had to redo it a year latter.  Still VF has gone down in quality and many fans have given up on it. I think the reason for the big sales is because there just isnt much competition for Sega in the arcade front. consoles yeah but arcadres they still are the undisputed king.  
You can call me

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Sega Developer says: Sony's SIXAXIS tilt control is "rubbish"

There have been loads of grumbles and gripes about Sixaxis - the motion-sensing thing is a bit gimmicky, Wii does it better and that the rumble is hugely missed.

But it's not just gamers that think this - one of Sega's top development men has broken rank to offer his thoughts.

"Tilt control's not difficult to do," says Guy Wilday, head of Sega Racing Studio, on the possibility of tilty-pad gameplay being included in their new version of Sega Rally for PS3. "Fundamentally, though, the whole tilt control thing is rubbish. It's no compensation for rumble."
But teh rumble is not possible with the much too advanced and superior motion controls of the SIXAXIS... Wii beware :roll eyes:  

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Still waiting for Daxter's Tilt 'N Tumble.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Did anyone else notice that in there PS3 news logo thingy was a picture of the Batarang PS3 Remote?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
well it finaaly happened, there is now 1 ps3 in our town and sof ar the guy who bought it admits he only gotit cuz hes a sony fan and didnt get a single game for it and said he wont for  while.  
You can call me

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Sega Developer says: Sony's SIXAXIS tilt control is "rubbish"

There have been loads of grumbles and gripes about Sixaxis - the motion-sensing thing is a bit gimmicky, Wii does it better and that the rumble is hugely missed.

But it's not just gamers that think this - one of Sega's top development men has broken rank to offer his thoughts.

"Tilt control's not difficult to do," says Guy Wilday, head of Sega Racing Studio, on the possibility of tilty-pad gameplay being included in their new version of Sega Rally for PS3. "Fundamentally, though, the whole tilt control thing is rubbish. It's no compensation for rumble."
But teh rumble is not possible with the much too advanced and superior motion controls of the SIXAXIS... Wii beware :roll eyes:

i tried playing that game motorstorm (or something) at the toys r us in times square ny with that sixaxis (i refuse to caplock for that stupid name) and it ached my hands to play it.

im not sure if it was because it was so closely teathered to the demo unit or because the controller was small and my hands were so close together that tilting left and right made me uncomfortable (not to mention the odd button layout), all i know is i walked away with a cramp and realized nintendo´s rod design trully was genious. i never once had a cramp playing excite truck at work (and i played it aloooot) then five minutes with the ps3 controller and my hands ache.

also it felt weird watching my truck explode in high def and not feel any rumble.. very dissapointing. i cant be the only one who feels this way

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
To give people an idea about how bad Virtua Fighter 5 did in Japan
First it barely beat out Wii Sports for the #1 spot and Wii Sports has been avalable for 11 Weeks.

Second DoA4 sold better in Japan and there was a smaller Xbox360 user base too.
There are currently 600,000 PS3s owners in Japan only 30,000 picked up Virtua Fighter 5.
When DoA4 came out there were only 80,000 Xbox 360 owners and Dead or Alive 4 Sold 60,000 copies.  
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --