Author Topic: Sony getting hit Hard lately  (Read 660794 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Everything makes sense now.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
It seems that you are forgetting about the $60 to $80 N64 games Golden. Saturn and PS games were $50.

I am well aware that the N64 games were that much (though if I recall Nintendo published ones were around 50$ retail), but companies like Square and such were turned off by N64 because of the pricey cartridges and limited storage. The retail price of the carts is not what really hurt N64 because there were multiple million sellers, but the fact that 3rd parties jumped ship, for the reasons stated here which would be carts and Nintendo's dumb 3rd party policy.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: JonLeung

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I still think Sony is trying to win a bet by making sure the PS3 fails. Its the only thing that makes sense, but even then it doesn't really make sense.
I said it before...it's a conspiracy!  o_0  Nintendo and Sony may actually be owned/controlled by the same phantom company.  They play "Sony" and "Nintendo" "against each other" in a big act that generates more interest in video games.  Since the PS2 was so far ahead in terms of sales, they deemed that it was time for the so-called Sony to take a really big dive so that Nintendo can have a turn in the spotlight.  After a couple generations, they may mix it up again.

But I don't like professional wrestling.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: denjet78

Originally posted by: JonLeung

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I still think Sony is trying to win a bet by making sure the PS3 fails. Its the only thing that makes sense, but even then it doesn't really make sense.
I said it before...it's a conspiracy!  o_0  Nintendo and Sony may actually be owned/controlled by the same phantom company.  They play "Sony" and "Nintendo" "against each other" in a big act that generates more interest in video games.  Since the PS2 was so far ahead in terms of sales, they deemed that it was time for the so-called Sony to take a really big dive so that Nintendo can have a turn in the spotlight.  After a couple generations, they may mix it up again.

But I don't like professional wrestling.

I do!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
If anyone wants to read something funny, go buy the latest EGM (or at least rip open the plastic at Barnes and Noble). There's this long interview with some Sony PR guy (I'm not sure who it is). Just to give you an idea of what to expect. He basically blames the failure of UMD on movie companies. Some of the quotes were down right out of control. At some point, EGM should have stopped the interview and punched this guy in the nads.

I've been highly critical of Nintendo's PR over the years, but Sony and Microsoft seem to have caught up and then some. Reggie, as president of NOA, is also a PR guy. His job, among many other things, is to make Nintendo look shiny. I've read dozens of his interviews over the past few years and at least he doesn't sound like a complete bullsh*tter. I'm not Reggie maniac, but I admit he's fairly honest for someone whose job it is to stretch the truth. These Sony and Microsoft guys though... when they aren't mudslinging, they're just outright lying to people.

EDIT: Yeah, read bustin98's post.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
the plain and simple fact is arrogance is one of the seven deadly sins, Sony pissed off the Video game gods
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Perm are you holding a cat?
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
I'd really like to see what would happen if Sony were to cut the video game division of itself loose as it's own company with minor help from big daddy.

I think the result would be immediate shut-down I really don't see how PS could survive without the help of a multi-billion dollar parent company.

Nintendo does it, although let's be honest the GBA is the only reason we have a Wii.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: MaryJane
I'd really like to see what would happen if Sony were to cut the video game division of itself loose as it's own company with minor help from big daddy.

I think the result would be immediate shut-down I really don't see how PS could survive without the help of a multi-billion dollar parent company.

Nintendo does it, although let's be honest the GBA is the only reason we have a Wii.

Well that and the GC along with the N64 were pretty profitable too. Really I think Nintendo could survive without the handheld division, it would be super tough but I think they could do it. With that said the revenues from handheld games definately help fund some great games as well!

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: MaryJaneNintendo does it, although let's be honest the GBA is the only reason we have a Wii.

Don't forget the Virtual Boy.
Thanks for listening.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Wow Adrock. You need to read a few posts back. I've already got that jerk's number, along with some quotes.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Ah, so you have. I just posted what I remembered reading while bored at work. Touche.

Still, I've noticed the rising level of BS in Sony's (and, to a slighly lesser degree, Microsoft's) PR. I don't remember them sounding as terrible as they've sounded recently. How do you twist Wii domination into something bad? Instead, I'd rather hear about what they plan on doing about it. A possible solution is far more promising than corporate mudlsinging. Calling Wii a "gimmick" or a "toy" doesn't inspire confidence in Sony. The effect is supposed to be downplaying the competition's success, but it doesn't come off that way. It makes them look bad because it suggests panic, as if that's the best response they could come up with. That guy is a PR drone. He's failing horribly at what he's paid for.

Nintendo was really up there a few years back. Their BS levels were through the roof. George Harrison was especially notorious for being full of it though he's slowed down. Can't say the same about Perrin Kaplan......

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: bustin98
Though they did try to push Jack about 'sold' versus 'shipped' with Jack offering $1200 to the interviewer if he could find a PS3 that was sitting on a shelf for more than 5 minutes. Jack was then informed that 9 out of 18 stores reported readily available stock of PS3s. Jack's mouth then went off to claim that 50% means sales are great.

Wheres My Money!!?

Stewie = all of us that have found those PS3s (including EGM)
Brian = Jack Tretton

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
A couple other reasons why I don't think Sony is going to have any big surprises. For one they are already losing a ton of money on each PS3, so dropping the price, even 50$ could spell disaster. They are already hemmoraging more money in losses on each system sold than probably EVER in console gaming, they don't have much if any wiggle room as it is. Another area that I feel we are forgetting is the PSP, there haven't been any big surprises whatsoever for that system, and it is still going downhill, showing me Sony isn't this great "mastermind" that people think they are.

Sony is a company that lucked out, they got publishers from Nintendo during the N64 era because not only were they first but they had better policies and no carts. The PS2 just built on that trend and had no competition for a year, things have shifted though and I'm not sure Sony knows what the heck to do because they didn't do a whole heck of alot in the past. They fed off Nintendo's errors, instead of relying on innovation and I don't see them unleashing this huge "Mega ton" anytime soon.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Sony is a company that lucked out, they got publishers from Nintendo during the N64 era because not only were they first but they had better policies and no carts.

The Saturn was first to the market, and was CD based as well. I think many people undercut Sony's efforts with the first Playstation. It wasn't luck that got them the market, unlike the PS2 where GTA3 hit when the GCN and Xbox launched. It was an advertising blitz unseen in video games before then and cheaper prices to the consumer then either of their rivals, the very thing that will probably lose them this generation.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Also, the PS2 did have competition for its first year, the Dreamcast (which launched pretty well if I remember). Playstation built off Sega's success of making Nintendo seem childish and out of touch (which it wasn't doing a great job of refuting in the press, surprising considering the number of M-rated games they released for the N64). As it was said, the PS2 coasted on the Playstation name and the franchises its predecessor stole from Nintendo, while the Gamecube continued to hammer the kiddy image home. Now that Nintendo's finally got the better press for the first time since the Reagan adminstration, Sony's exposed as just a hardware manufacturer with no imagination (and not a terribly competent one at that). I don't think the company'll go bankrupt from the PS3 (they can always sell Columbia Studios if they're that desperate) but I don't see them starting plans for a PS4 at this rate.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Here is an interesting(& looong) read about how EA is scrambling to get their game together on the Wii.
www.informationarbitrage.com

They also mention how EA's shares/stocks have dropped since betting on the wrong horse(PS3). Lots of links, quotes and author interpretations all about how EA went wrong, what they(EA) think about it and what they are doing to fix the problem.

Very anti-PS3 as it talks alot about how PS3 is a failure up to this point, it even cites many sources. I never visited the site before tonite but it seems to look at the whole situation objectively enough, which is not surprising since it is a Wall Street site.  

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile

GoldenPhoenix wrote:
Another area that I feel we are forgetting is the PSP, there haven't been any big surprises whatsoever for that system, and it is still going downhill, showing me Sony isn't this great "mastermind" that people think they are.

Yet PSP is still getting some killer games. Metal Gear Portable Ops came out not too long ago. Then there's Dracula X Chronicles despite 2 sales duds on PS2 and 5 extremely well-recieved GBA/DS games (which while great, essentially have the same gameplay across the board) as well as Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. I don't even want to hear about how the game was announced before DS started raping PSP in sales because SquareEnix could've cancelled the game on PSP and  moved it to PS2.... or even Wii since CC:FF7 looks better than most Wii games out right now anyway.

Arbok wrote:
I think many people undercut Sony's efforts with the first Playstation.

I agree with that. Sheer blind luck couldn't create a monster like the Playstation. They did all the right things when they had to for 2 generations while the competition basically didn't. Nintendo and Sega kind of undid themselves and Microsoft, being the newcomer, didn't have a chance last gen. Nintendo just happened to be run well-enough to stay profitable. Go them.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
The PSP isn't doing too well, but it's doing well enough (at least in the U.S) that it's going to be sticking around for awhile.

There will be a PS4. No matter how badly the PS3 sells, no matter how much money they lose, they're going to make the 4th iteration of PlayStation. Blu-Ray discs (and development on them) are either going to get cheaper, or fade into memory, and thus the PS4's media won't be a hurdle as it is this generation. Sony will think they still have a chance if they restructure. They'll look at the improvements that Nintendo made from GC to Wii and try to copy them as well as copying things Nintendo will implement in their next system.

It is all together likely that in the grand scheme of video gaming PS3 will be dead last. Here are my predictions: 1st place: DS |2nd: Wii |3rd: Xbox360 |4th: PC (possibly switching positions with X360) |5th: PS2 |6th: GBA |7th: PSP |8th: Ngage 2 (lol half-jk, cell phone gaming is starting to gather steam so it could be something else, including Nintendo's own phone) |9th: Tiger Electronics(a place holder, I just wanted 10 items) |10th: PS3

I think it will take the PS4 also being in 10th place 10 or so years from now for Sony to completely back out of the video game market.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
The problem with copying the innovator is that you'll always be a step behind. That won't help Sony if Nintendo takes over the market. They'll need to innovate themselves somehow. And (in theory) that will only help the industry.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Phil Harrison announced today his killer app for the PS3 download service...... SUPER RUB-O-DUB featuring a technology exclusive to the PS3 that the Wii and 360 will never have!! That technology is LoD or Lots of Ducks. the player will use the SIXAXIS controller to tilt a rubber duck around a pool of water, collecting smaller ducks to lead to the level exit.

Phil's Super Rub-o-dub
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
Well there is more bad news for Sony and Friends. VF5 sold a mere 32,000 copies on its first day of sale in Japan. Thats less than half of what Blue Dragon did on its first day of Sale for the 360 which had a third of the PS3's current userbase when Blue Dragon launched.

http://www.gamefront.de/
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
The main reason PS1 beat Saturn is because Sega had one of the most stupid launches in history, announcing the system and then releasing it within a couple of months with no support. Not only that but it was a pain in the butt to develop for so that was a double whammy, so once again, yes Sony did make "good" descisions but relied more on the competition screwing up big time instead of its own innovation. Not to mention Saturn was priced at 400$! I'm sorry but I'm not going to give Sony much credit for PS1 because Sega was effing up all over the place (sounds awfully familiar to now).

With PS2, yeah DC was tougher competition but really Sega was relying more on 1st party games because many of the 3rd parties garnered from the PS1 era were still loyal to Sony. Not to mention that Sega's reputation was hurt big time with the Saturn and people were still reluctant to get on board with DC, so PS2 did not have that big of a fight.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
Well there is more bad news for Sony and Friends. VF5 sold a mere 32,000 copies on its first day of sale in Japan. Thats less than half of what Blue Dragon did on its first day of Sale for the 360 which had a third of the PS3's current userbase when Blue Dragon launched.

http://www.gamefront.de/

Does anyone even play the Virtua Fighter games anymore? Talk about a stagnant series!

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
In Japan, Virtua Fighter is the most popular fighting game series. Its more popular than Tekken, DOA, SF, etc. It should have sold far better.
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."