Author Topic: Ryu, Roy Revealed as Smash Bros. Leaks Emerge  (Read 8873 times)

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Ryu, Roy Revealed as Smash Bros. Leaks Emerge
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 08:28:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've never played Street Fighter in my life, but I'm really excited to see an actually new, original character instead of bringing back ones from previous iterations. Hopefully we get more of those.

Well, good news, JP! see, Ryu will play pretty straightforward. because he often gets cloned so much in his own games and the street fighter 2 manual ended up describing Ryu and Ken's fighting style as 'Shotokan Karate', often characters that are easy for beginners to handle in a fighting game that get cloned into variants are called 'shotos' for short.

Mario in his N64 and melee counterparts especially followed this template. Mario has a fireball (Hadoken~!), his super jump punch (Shoryuken!), and his mario tornado (Tatsumaki Sempuukayku!), not to mention a host of moves that serve a simplar purpose for the most part to what Ryu's moveset does in Street Fighter games.

While Ryu's Forward-B Focus Attack is a VERY different attack than say... Mario's reflective cape or his Fludd, expect Ryu to feel like... maybe a stiffer but more harder hitting and further reaching version of Mario.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Ryu, Roy Revealed as Smash Bros. Leaks Emerge
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've never played Street Fighter in my life, but I'm really excited to see an actually new, original character instead of bringing back ones from previous iterations. Hopefully we get more of those.

wut? Did you ever visit and arcade in the 90s?