Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674854 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)
« Reply #2150 on: February 13, 2020, 10:25:35 PM »
To bad Curry can't participate.
6ft behind the line is where he's most comfortable. Lol

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: February 13, 2020, 11:29:13 PM »
Watched the end of the Celtics vs. Clippers game. It felt weird to root for the Celtics. Kawhi Leonard barely touched the ball in the second overtime. That was weird. RIP Landry Shametā€™s ankles.

Zion Williamson score over 30 again. Jebus...

The Pelicans are going to be really good in a few years.

ļ»æ

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2152 on: February 14, 2020, 01:06:39 AM »
Zion is so good already.  If they keep Lonzo, Ingram, Hart and Zion they are going to be so good.

Saw this video on my YT feed today. It goes over why Zion is so good already.

For BnM- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTokEzdZYo
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

ļ»æļ»æļ»æ

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2153 on: February 16, 2020, 03:08:22 AM »
So here is all the highlights from All-Star Saturday Night from the Skills challenge to the 3 point contest to the Dunk Contest.

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6N7T3eGvJU

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7iCPqATic&t=0s

For BnM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8TS9if_etk

I have to say that in the past guards have dominated the Skills competition at the break but the majority of the guards didn't make it into the final round so that may be the changing of the guard with the skills challenge.

I loved the 3 point contest and it was just a matter of form and who had the most 3 point balls and Booker had a good showing even as a last minute replacement. That is a testament on how Booker is so good and is always ready so I am happy to see him in his first All-Star appearance.  I even saw him filming the Dunk contest and taking in his first All-Star weekend so I am happy for Booker.

Finally for the Dunk Contest you had the story of Dwight Howard returning to the Dunk Contest after a several years absence, Pat Connaughton being a surprise entry and just wowing everyone with his dunking ability,
Aaron Gordon looking for redemption from past dunk contests and getting five 50s in a row, and Derrick Jones Jr of the Heat doing his dunks for the recently retired Dwyane Wade and seeing if he can raise the bar for dunks in the Dunk Contest.  All great stories.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: February 16, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
Skills Challenge: Really thought Domantas Sabonis had it. Good for Bam Adebayo though.

3-Point Shootout: With Damian Lillard injured (and Steph Curry and Klay Thompson for that matter), I was rooting for Devin Booker. Buddy Hield winning at the buzzer was awesome.

Slam Dunk Contest: Dwight Howardā€™s first dunk was better than a 41. Heā€™s 34 years old and did a 360 spread Statue of Liberty dunk easily. I donā€™t think that should have gotten him into the second round, just stating 41 was too low.

Aaron Gordon losing was complete nonsense and really makes me not care about this contest. Dude gets five straight 50s then jumps over 7ā€™5ā€ Tacko Fall (who dipped his head a little so letā€™s call it 7ā€™2ā€) without vaulting and gets a 47. What the hell was that score? Get the **** out of here. Even Derrick Jones Jr. was shaking his head; the look on his face was at worst ā€œYeah, thatā€™s a 50. Iā€™ll take the L.ā€ and at best ā€œLetā€™s do another round.ā€
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:21:05 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: February 16, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »
I don't know man..... the dunk contest was a close one.

Taco dipped his head and shoulders so that may take away from it a little, but on the other hand, the dude is 7'5" tall.
If he tried to clear him on maybe the 2nd/3rd jump, he may have gotten closer, after however many jumps he had taken, I'm sure he wasn't at max elevation anymore

It was really almost too close to call if you ask me.
I probably would've given it to AG simply because I don't think he won it last time, and that was a close ass call too. But I'm also not mad that DJ Jr won it, because who knows if he ever has this chance again?

edit: I do have to say that Gordon's swoop 360 windmill of the side of the backboard is so damn smooth. Definitely a Dunk Contest Hall of Fame Dunk - he could've won on that one alone.
I think what ultimately lost it for him is when he did the same/similar dunk as DJ Jr. the over the person under the leg slam
He should have added a 180 in there and turned it into a reverse. I think that would've sealed the deal.
Or did the over the mascot under both legs jam again. That would've killed it. I think the Tacko dunk that he didn't actually clear kinda brought the hype down.

But it was a really close one.

as for the 3pt contest.... I hope Hield and Booker make it back next year, and I'm hoping Steph and Klay both participate as well. after both having sat out pretty much an entire season, I'm sure they would want to establish some shooting dominance, especially with the deep 3's in the mix now. They'd have fun with it, win or lose.

As for the skills contest, I'm surprised no one has gone up for a dunk/layup and then purposely messed with the other guys ball to buy themselves some time. LOL I know that would be messed up, but if it was a friendly rivalry situation it could be funny. Good for Adebayo though for poppin off and burying those 3's when the announcers called him out for not being a shooter. Instant Egg on face. LOL
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:01:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: February 17, 2020, 02:32:45 PM »
Didn't have a chance to watch All-Star game until this afternoon, but it was a pretty entertaining romp.

I'm biased, but some of my favorite moments include:
* Kyle Lowry taking TWO charges in the fourth quarter, and then complaining post-game that it should've been three.  (He was right.)
* Pascal Siakam and Kawhi Leonard caught on mic with a throwback to the finals last year. Pascal: "No more threes, no more threes bro". Leonard: "You gonna deny me?" Pascal: "Box and one! Box and one over here!"
* Gobert just being huge generally in the game; he's been overdue for an All-Star appearance in my opinion.

The East blew their chances in the fourth quarter, missing a bunch of open shots when they were in the lead. Despite some people saying they love the new format, I'm a bit iffy. It worked wonderfully in this game... but with this much offensive firepower you feel like 24 points could come very quickly and lead to an anti-climactic ending in some cases?
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2157 on: February 17, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »
Team Giannis played really well and had lots of younger players on his team so they could run but this game format was won and loss on defense.  In the second half the game in the 3rd quarter got more defensive and Team LeBron was able to keep Team Giannis to 41 points while scoring 41 themselves.

But yeah ejamer the game could go quickly to the leading team but these are the best 24 players in the world and if they are going to play like it is playoff basketball they are more than capable of doing so.  We saw that in the 3rd and 4th quarter.  The 1st half was more like older All-Star games lots of highlights and learning your new/current teammate more and having more fun.    2nd half got more serious. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: February 21, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »
Anyone have assessments of their team's performance so far, or hopes about what might happen as we approach the end of the regular season? Won't be long now and the final picture will become much clearer - whether that means positioning for playoffs or for lottery picks.

What are the best/worst things that have happened to your team so far this year?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: February 21, 2020, 11:57:59 AM »
Generally, I'm just waiting for Steph to come back so we can get some sorry if semblance of coherent and consistent offense.
Not really expecting to win games, but to be a little more competitive and make sure Steph still got his shooting stroke in tact. I need him to bury enough 3's in the remaining games to make a Top 20 list even though he missed most of the damn season.
A little Curry Wiggins PnR action could also get the flow of the Warriors offense going again too. Time to test a few things in preparation for next season.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: February 22, 2020, 01:21:54 AM »
Sources: Lakers waiving DeMarcus Cousins while eyeing Markieff Morris

Definitely a surprise though Iā€™m sure this decision got the okay from Anthony Davis and LeBron James. I doubt anyone will claim Cousins from waivers so I expect him to continue rehabbing at Lakersā€™ facilities. I also expect him back with the Lakers next season. It makes sense for Cousins to not rush back. He keeps doing that and getting injured.

While Markieff Morris is considered the worse of the twins, he will still be a massive upgrade for the Lakers. They finally have another wing to throw at Kawhi Leonard. More importantly, the Lakers get to improve their roster while keeping Kyle Kuzma. It should be noted that Morris may still be claimed by another team (e.g. the Rockets) though teams typically do not do this to players with verbal agreements with other teams for fear of angering the playerā€™s agent.

Moe Harkless would have been another nice wing even though his offense is šŸ˜’. He decided not to seek a buyout from the Knicks. Heā€™s from Queens so playing for the Knicks is probably a childhood dream so I canā€™t blame him.

I still expect Troy Daniels to be cut if the Lakers can find some playmaking and/or scoring off the bench. The Pistons are cleaning house so Iā€™m keeping my eyes on Derrick Rose getting bought out. Davis and Rose are Chicago boys.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:30:20 AM by Adrock »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2161 on: February 22, 2020, 06:07:03 AM »
Anyone have assessments of their team's performance so far, or hopes about what might happen as we approach the end of the regular season? Won't be long now and the final picture will become much clearer - whether that means positioning for playoffs or for lottery picks.

What are the best/worst things that have happened to your team so far this year?
Best thing to happen this year for the Lakers this year is getting AD and he has been such a defensive presence and a force on the offensive end.  Worse thing is having to temper my expectations on Kuzma of being the 3rd star off the bench.  Nowadays I just look at how he is improving his rebounds, defense and assists and any little improvements from him. The second part is how Ingram and Ball have improved while away from the Lakers. This has happened for pretty much all our younger players.   

For the Suns. Best thing is Booker being an All-Star finally and being acknowledged. Worse is two fold. 25 game suspension on Ayton to start the year and all the injuries to the team.  The Suns front court was decimated for like 6 weeks or so. No Baynes, Saric, Kaminsky, Cam Johnson and Lecque out at some point in the season. Really only Booker, Mikal Bridges, Oubre Jr,  Cheick Diallo, Okobo and Carter have been healthy most of the year. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2162 on: February 22, 2020, 06:40:17 AM »
As for buyout options for the Lakers I don't see Rose leaving.  Pistons are very bare in the point guard spot with Brevin Knight, Derrick Walton Jr, and Jordan Bone which is a two way player.  I think Rose stays and mentors them for this season and the Pistons trade Rose during the draft or in the offseason for the last year of his current contract.   

I think Trey Burke or Tim Frazier for the backup PG if they need a playmaker externally.  Burke being more scoring focus with some playmaking and Frazier being the reverse of that.   I guess Waiters could be another option.   Now the question is does Cook, Daniels or Talen Horton Tucker get cut for one of these players or do we just get playmaking internally in Caruso, Cook or spread the playmaking around through all the players on the bench in Caruso, Rondo, Kuzma and Markief Morris.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: February 22, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
As for buyout options for the Lakers I don't see Rose leaving.
Youā€™re probably right, but a girl can dream. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø   
Now the question is does Cook, Daniels or Talen Horton Tucker get cut for one of these players
If anyone else gets cut, itā€™ll be Troy Daniels. Quinn Cook has some guaranteed money next year (not a lot but still) and he has history with Kobe Bryant. Given how Jeanie Buss runs the Lakers like a family, I canā€™t see them cutting Cook unless absolutely necessary. I think Jared Dudley would get cut before Cook.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2164 on: February 22, 2020, 07:00:40 PM »
Yeah Rose would be nice to have but I think he is staying put.  It would be something to have 4 former #1 picks on the same team.  I think there will be some discussion on if Vogel needs a better playmaker off the bench and the front office and AD and LeBron on what might work for a fit there.   Looking at the bench as it stands now.

Rajon Rondo.  Currently the main playmaker off the bench. Has pretty good to great chemistry with everyone on the team. This year has averaged 7.7 points, 3.3 rebounds and 5.3 assists with 2.0 turnovers. Been pretty good from the field. 43.0%, 35.5% from 3 and 68.6% from the line.  When he has played offball he has been a good shooter with him and Caruso out there and running the point.  Unless we get a better playmaker than Rondo and is better defensively(which is a low bar) I don't see Rondo losing the backup PG spot.

Caruso is younger and better defensively than Rondo but he needs to work more on his playmaking.  He does tend to have all the intangibles you want in a point guard it is just he needs to get better with his passing.   His stats don't tell the whole story but here they are.  5.5 points, 1.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 0.3 blocks, 1.0 steals and 0.8 turnovers this season in about 18 minutes a game.

Quinn Cook has played limited minutes this year but when he has played he has been a bright spot in scoring.  Not much in the form of playmaking but he is a guard so I thought I would mention that.   

I am more of a fan of weaning the backup pg spot from Rondo and giving it to Caruso as the season goes on and Rondo can turn into a scorer and occasionally a playmaker like he played at the start of the season.     Unless we get someone in the buyout market this is probably the best internal option.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: February 23, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »
Lakers vs. Celtics was a damn good game.

I donā€™t agree with the technical foul call on Brad Stevens at the end there. Come on, donā€™t call that. Iā€™ve seen coaches do and say worse. Even though Anthony Davis could have iced the game (barring a miracle), Iā€™m kind of glad he missed the free throw.

LeBron James needs to stop shooting those late-game three pointers in close games. Heart stops every time because he usually misses them. In any case, a win over the Celtics is always a delight.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:30:30 PM by Adrock »

ļ»æ

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2166 on: February 24, 2020, 03:38:29 PM »
The waterworks came out again today as today was the Celebration of Life for Kobe Bryant and Gianna Bryant.

I am a weeping mess today.  I'll always remember you Kobe for as long as I will live. 

Here is the Celebration of Life in full.

For BnM- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCwXMUM3wog
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: February 24, 2020, 10:18:25 PM »
you think I'm gonna watch that now? I got things to do man.... (don't got no time to cry)

I will however forward it to a friend who was a die hard Kobe friend.
although I'm sure he took the day off work to either watch it live or be there.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2168 on: February 24, 2020, 11:52:25 PM »
you think I'm gonna watch that now? I got things to do man.... (don't got no time to cry)

I will however forward it to a friend who was a die hard Kobe friend.
although I'm sure he took the day off work to either watch it live or be there.
Hey when you get a chance to.   On the Lakers YT channel the segments were broken up into their own videos.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2169 on: February 24, 2020, 11:54:26 PM »
Suns beat the Jazz tonight.  Earlier in the day Booker was at the Celebration of Life in LA. His stats tonight.

24 points, 8 fg made, 2/4 from 3. 4 rebounds, 10 assists and 4 turnovers. Kobe was there with him.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: February 25, 2020, 12:05:03 AM »
*sigh* I've stopped watching this fraud of a Jazz team. They keep this performance up, and they'll be lottery-bound, and perhaps it's better that way rather than their traditional 1st round drubbing. I haven't seen a Jazz team this talented spectacularly fail this consistently in quite some time without injuries to blame it on.

It figures the harbinger of death himself, Deron Williams, would pick this game, of all games, to show up to.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: February 25, 2020, 07:22:51 AM »
I'm excited (and a bit nervous) about the Bucks vs Raptors game tonight.

Toronto is missing two key contributors in Gasol/Powell due to injury, but have taken care of business during their absence. Still, this is the first good opponent they've played in over a month and Toronto will really miss having Powell available. Whether it's because the Bucks originally drafted and then traded him, or due to some match-up oddity, Norman is a hardcore Bucks killer who always overachieves against Milwaukee.

There is a lot of talk (in Canada at least) about whether Raptors are contenders or pretenders. Their overall record, point differential, poise and coaching all suggest contender. The lack of a true superstar, losing record against elite teams, and reliance on transition points suggest pretender. I don't think there will be any way to know until the playoffs arrive though.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: February 29, 2020, 08:38:00 AM »
Ugh... so frustrating to see Toronto lose again last night.

Losing against the Bucks was understandable.

Losing against the Hornests... not so much. I can point to injuries (Toronto only had their third-string center available and were missing VanVleet also) as a reasonable excuse, but the Raptors still should've found a way to win against very mediocre competition and simply played very poorly when they needed to avoid mistakes.

This team has so much potential, but they really need the injury carousel to slow down before the playoffs. Missing two or three starters/key rotation players every night is becoming a problem.

(Sorry for the rant.)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2173 on: March 05, 2020, 11:09:43 PM »
I am sure BnM is happy that Steph is back playing tonight and it is against the Raptors so it could be interesting how this plays out tonight.

As for my teams. Suns and Lakers...  Suns have a long shot to make the playoffs.  A week or so back Oubre Jr got injured and we lost to the pistons and Warriors which seemed like easy wins but without Oubre Jr those games were not as certain with Saric coming in for Oubre Jr.    They missed out on Jordan McRrae on the buyout market because DRose got hurt and the Pistons had a worse record so they got first dibs at him.   This season they have done better than many thought but they are likely to miss the playoffs again.   On the brightside Booker, Bridges, Ayton and Oubre Jr are good young players to build around.  Although the Suns are in dire need of a backup PG and a starting calibur PF.

The Lakers on the other hand are the number 1 seed in the west and if they can win the next two games against the Clippers and Bucks or one of two and the Kings lose then we can clinch a playoff spot. 
They also got a few players off the buyout market in Markief Morris and Dion Waiters.  They are rumored to be looking for more shooting but personally speaking I think they are fine with shooters.  AD, Green, Kuzma, Caruso, Markief, Waiters, Dudley, Cook and at times Rondo can be good shooters. They just need to be more consistent.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: March 06, 2020, 08:22:24 AM »
Really good to see Curry back on a court. He's always electric, and his insane gravity will make everything easier for his Golden State teammates.

Also good to see the Raptors secure a playoff spot. They still have a lot of work to do, with a fantastic young Celtics team sitting just a game-and-a-half out of the second seed. Hard to believe that the Raptors have twice as many losses as the team immediate ahead of them though.