Author Topic: The Downfall of Ubisoft on Wii U  (Read 23262 times)

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Re: The Downfall of Ubisoft on Wii U
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
LittleBigPlanet 3 isn't exclusive. It's on the PS3, meaning that's another reason I don't need a PS4. Most of the best-sellers on the PS4 are for cross-gen or remasters of games I've already played or have the ability to play on my PS3.
And that right there is shooting this Gen in the foot.  The availability of everything worth owning on the previous Gen.

Agreed. I'm of the mindset that each platform has a great weakness, whether it's the Wii U and third party retail releases, PS4 and its lack of compelling exclusives, for instance.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Actually let me rephrase that, Ian.

What would a Nintendo love song sound like to you?

Something where Iwata would never say "please understand".  How about a console that compares well to its competition and treats controllers as practical tools and not marketing gimmicks?  I would want to see some evidence that Nintendo acknowledges their past mistakes and is actually attempting to address them.  I would want the first round of games to be creative and ambitious.  Ideally Nintendo would reveal their new console at E3 (revealing it at the industry standard show would be gesture in itself) and everyone would just be blown away - not just Nintendo fanboys but gamers that had long ago written off Nintendo.

It would actually be big deal if Nintendo came across as TRYING to win over customers.  Too often it feels like they just assume we'll all buy their product because they're Nintendo.  If there was a Nintendo console launch without the typical Nintendo hubris we would probably pick up on it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Ideally Nintendo would reveal their new console at E3 (revealing it at the industry standard show would be gesture in itself) and everyone would just be blown away - not just Nintendo fanboys but gamers that had long ago written off Nintendo.
Let's not kid ourselves. No, they wouldn't.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
LittleBigPlanet 3 isn't exclusive. It's on the PS3, meaning that's another reason I don't need a PS4. Most of the best-sellers on the PS4 are for cross-gen or remasters of games I've already played or have the ability to play on my PS3.

If you're going to throw out LPB 3 because it has a PS3 version, then you also have to throw out Titanfall because it has a better-selling 360 version. :P
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2014, 07:21:14 AM »

If you're going to throw out LPB 3 because it has a PS3 version, then you also have to throw out Titanfall because it has a better-selling 360 version. :P:

I'm perfectly fine with that.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2014, 07:26:22 AM »
The level of Xbox One exclusives is higher than the level of PS4 exclusives, but that's not saying much. PS4's exclusive library is weaker than the Wii U's third party library.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »
On the topic of Ubisoft, I own a PS3 and a Wii U, and I occasionally game on PC, so I get my third party fix without Nintendo. On that note, Ubisoft doesn't make a single product I care about period. Haven't as long as I can remember. EA is hit and miss for me, I too, got Mass Effect Trilogy and have no use for the Wii U version. I currently own one lonely 3rd party game for Wii U, Avengers Assemble, that is because it was actually the same price as the PS3 version and did have some Wii U features so I got it instead. That is it. On Game Cube I had far more 3rd party games than Wii U and Wii was a mess. Wii had all the PS2 games Game Cube SHOULD HAVE had all along, that wasn't support that was BS. Nintendo DID make a console on par with competitors, Game Cube, and supported the hell out of it, and they still lost support and their audience. Game Cube did far better all around than Wii U and was still considered a failure and here Wii U is not even trying to be half as decent as Game Cube.

At this point though, I don't care 3rd parties are not coming back and I gave up hope they ever would. I don't even care that PS4 gets ports of PS3 games because every new generation goes through that phase in the first year that is nothing new. PS2 was still getting games up till last year.

Nintendo could have done more with Wii U but ultimately they won me over with games, as they always do. Keep making great games I will buy your machine, stop making great games, or games I want, like Wii, and I lose interest in your machine. What I find odd is how divided the fanbase is, people like me who didn't like Wii for different reasons still find Wii U acceptable but some people liked Wii find Wii U unacceptable. Game Cube was my all time favorite Nintendo console so maybe I am just weird or maybe there is not consistency in the fanbase and we all do things for odd reasons?

I think it all boils down to changing tastes really, some Nintendo fans have moved on to the types of games the industry has moved on to like Ian wants, those gamers aren't interested in what Nintendo is offering. I have not changed my tastes, I still like the same games I always have, its just I don't like what the industry as a whole has become so I stick to the familiar because that is what I want. For me I would rather a New Super Mario Bros games than a Call of Duty, but there are other 3rd party games out there, like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Tekken, Final Fantasy, that are still familiar too that I want. Nintendo used to get all of those even if they didn't get the GTA stuff. Well okay not all of them but they used to have better support than they do now. What changed? We did, we split into those who like the new stuff and those who like the familiar safe stuff.

PS4 happens to have enough of both, new and old, to appeal to me plus it has the technology it has the media features Wii U lacks and it is a suitable replacement for my PS3. Wii U is nothing more than a Nintendo box, which is why I have always felt the price is a major concern. But considering how Nintendo has to be profitable they can't drop the price too soon but they could get more creative with their bundles.

As for Xbox One and Wii U having comparable sales, Wii U has been out a year longer so if Xbox caught up that quickly do you honestly think Wii U is not going to fall behind now? In a year from now things could be different. Sure Splatoon will change things for some folks, Smash has energized the base and if Captain Toad can keep the holiday momentum going and Splatoon kicks ass Wii U might have a shot of staying afloat one more year, making Nintendo enough money to focus on whatever the hell comes next.

To be fair though, Game Cube had a shot in the arm when it was dieing, it had a massive price slash, coupled with a Zelda Special edition fans went nuts for, and it had Game Boy Player to help justify the purchase. Wii U needs something like that, a peripheral that enhances the machines value to make it worth buying coupled with a reasonable price cut.

And while we are at it, sure MS and Sony are both tech giants, Nintendo is no stranger to partnering with other tech giants to get a product to market, they could just as easily cut some deal with Panasonic or Samsung, especially Samsung who is kicking Sony's ass everyplace else. If they partnered with Samsung to make a new product, or a even some add on that boosted Wii U features, they could recover they have to consider the long haul but right now they need to get all the games they can out next year and re-evaluate their strategy once the holiday dust settles.

Personally I think Nintendo needs to write off the Wii U and get their next machine out ASAP, and they need to partner with a tech giant to get it out there so they have some extra know how on their side because they can't cut it going solo any longer. The stakes are too high. Or if they have the money buy smaller tech companies to assist with the things they suck at.
Trying to be a better person, honest.