Author Topic: Mafia LVII:Friendship is Chaos End game thread & MVP voting thread.  (Read 21718 times)

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LVII:Frindship is Chaos End game thread and MVP voting thread.
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:27 PM »

Khush sent this to me in a PM. Doesn't he say that he was PMing other townies? How the hell is the fair for the Mafia? Mafia is supposed to be a game of the uninformed majority versus the informed minority.

**** this. I defintely will not be playing another Mafia game.

EDIT: I'm talking about during the game.

As a Mafia member you have to PM townies and try to establish yourself as a townie in their group.  Just because they are PM'ing each other doesn't mean they know everything.  A lot of it goes on faith.  One game Shyguy screwed me over by pretending to be a townie (after a false investigation) and fed me false info and giving all our info to the Mafia.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »
All side PMing each other is part of the game.  The townies don't know who other townies are at first and start asking other players.  Its up to the players to determine if they trust each other.  Its not uncommon to have a mafia member in these townie alliances.

In fact in my game I took that up a notch and started with no one knowing who anyone was.  It would have been great if all my Mafia where actually playing but most of the game only 1 mafia member even played at all.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:33:26 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »
That's complete bullshit. All that townie talk should be in the thread, that's the fucking point. Only the Mafia should be allowed to PM, and that's to each other.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »
I don't think I'll be participating with you in Mafia ever again Maxi, let alone co-hosting. Also, I'm not watching two episodes of your __________ ______ show.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »
That's complete bullshit. All that townie talk should be in the thread, that's the fucking point. Only the Mafia should be allowed to PM, and that's to each other.

If that was the case all you would have to do is look at the Who's Online to figure out who is PM'ing.  I don't look there myself, as I don't like getting info that way, but it is a tool that can be used.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
Actually, what we do in the Avatar forum I go on is that we create a thing called a Quick Topic (that's another website) to avoid that. Takes ten seconds to make one and you send the link to the mafia members so they can discuss things.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 01:39:06 PM »

If that was the case all you would have to do is look at the Who's Online to figure out who is PM'ing.  I don't look there myself, as I don't like getting info that way, but it is a tool that can be used.
I never really figured out how to do that with Who's Online.  You almost have to be constantly watching.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »

I never really figured out how to do that with Who's Online.  You almost have to be constantly watching.
I don't really either.  Maxi could probably tell you how.  I know he has hounded me about it in the past so I had to cover my tracks a bunch by PM'ing a lot of people. 

However, that always made it kind of fun as you felt like you were getting away with something.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »
Aaaaaand that's what's wrong with these Mafia games. Thanks for clearing that up apdude.

You know, you should probably do what the game maker says you should instead of not following his rules.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
I never did anything that was against the rules.  And what I ment by "getting away with someting" was tricking someone into beliving I was something that I wasn't, not breaking the rules.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 01:51:28 PM »
Here is the thing Oblivion as others pointed out before me and I was just about to respond with the same points.

Oblivion dispite all the Mafia knowing each other at the game the only thing I got from you guys were hits and items. The townies however I got questions about the game and all the roles and how they interacted with each other and the items and how they could work with the roles as well. The Mafia dispite being the informed minority playe like a scattered bunch of people. The townies it sounds like played like an informed group dispite starting off scattered at the begining. There was no planning by the Mafia to me.

Shyguy I guess that's fine. I hope you can feel better in the future.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:53:34 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »
Why would we need to talk to you? Maxi, you're supposed to be there to make sure the game goes fine and to answer questions without helping either side. I had no reason to talk to you whatsoever? Why would I? Shygy and I talked just fine and didn't include you.

You're God in the Mafia game, nothing more, nothing less. You aren't playing the game, we are.

Like I said before, this game has shown me that the way mafia is done on this site is utter ****. It's disorganized, confusing, and not friendly to someone who hasn't played it on this site before. I had no idea that I could PM tonwies, and in any case, it's a shitty idea. I'll just have to keep playing on other websites. Thanks for making it fun while it lasted.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:57:07 PM by Oblivion »

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
I see your points and it is valid, but the way it's done here actually works pretty good as well.  I'd suggest you give it another shot, knowing how it's done here to see if it makes more sense.  In the end I think you'll find it's more sneaky and ultimately more interesting.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »
I'm beginning to seriously think Maxi has some mental health issues with this pony fixation... Now I feel bad for yelling at a crazy person. :(

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
The who's online is the checking timestamps on the PM of when it is being sent and then checking if anyone is checking their PMs soon after then. There is ways around this though. Not responding to PM's right away, having yourself hidden, and I think that is it. However if you are hidden then you likely have a role. I only hid myself so that all the players could send in their actions without any worry when I respond back to them.

Oblivion I know I am not playing the game and I am here to just answer questions but some sites work differently then others. If you weren't sure of anything you should have asked. There isn't a dumb question in my book. I love explaining everything about the game so that everything is clear so that both sides have a chance to win.

Shyguy I was just saying that I hope you feel better in the future about this game and in other things in your life.  No hard feelings.

All my thoughts on the dead players are up in the My thoughts post now.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:32:01 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
As much as I like compliments, Khush was definitely the star here. He's got the brains that I really don't have. He nailed the last Mafia member and just has good reasoning for every accusation. And he's active.

The only thing I didn't like about this game (even though we were on to him) was that Chocolate Rain thing. I'm still not sure how it worked... but ShyGuy's death was pure luck. It might have bought an extra day, who knows.

Always happy to live the game though. You feel like you learned/did something at the end of it all.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »
Gonna be off the forum for the rest of the day. Be sure to send in the MVP votes for who you think the the 2 MVPs should be. I will close MVP voting at the end of the month or once everyone send in their PM's whichever comes first.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:59:56 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »
Hooold on, Oblivion. My game was absolute ****, but for some reason this game, mediocre at least, is getting so much hate. I see where you're coming from, and if you want to go then not many people are stopping you. Mafia isn't going to end the world. Hosts can't be perfect. First few games I played, I was voted out early and wanted to wuit so badly. But I just got over it and jumped back into things. If you give this another chance, I bet you'll get to liking it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
My first one I was really involved in was Poke-Mafia and one of the 18 Day we knew was mafia kept getting lucky on his/her saving role so we voted her/him out for I think it was 3 days.

It was so frustrating.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=26288.msg458532;topicseen#msg458532
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:03:16 PM by Ceric »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »
I don't care about dying early. If I died first for the next twenty games I wouldn't give a ****. It's that, like I've said for the third time now, is that these games are unorganized, unfriendly to someone who hasn't played before, and allow things I have never seen before in a Mafia game. I mean... PMing each other as Town? NO. That right there kills it for me. If you're town, EVERYTHING you say HAS to be in the public. That's the point of being the uninformed majority. NO PMING. If the Mafia needs to talk, use a quick topic. And hell, if it has to be done like that, PUT IT IN THE RULES. I mean, come on, how is that fair if I didn't know?

I would've bitched like this if I hadn't lost.

EDIT: This is how to do a forum mafia game: http://forums.avatarspirit.net/index.php?topic=22017.0
EDIT2: I guess you can't see the link, nevermind.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:55:08 PM by Oblivion »

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2012, 05:02:14 PM »
The problem with that is that in not enforcible.  How would the host know who is PM'ing who and for what reason.  I'm guessing that is why it is allowed / encouraged so it puts everyone on an equal level.  Ultimately the townies need to vote in the day thread, and when you see it going against you that's probably a good time to start PM'ing those who are putting your name down or appealing to the others.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »
LOL at the suggestion that PMing should be against the rules. It's not just totally unenforceable, but it's a critical part of the game. It's also how the game has been played since mafia #1 on this site. As mafia, you need to get in good with a bloc of townies and manipulate them as best you can instead of clamming up and expecting them to be 100% transparent and do all the work for you. In short, l2p scrub :smug:

If I'm going to criticize any part of this mafia, I would say that having too many random elements took away from the strategy. I'm not sure if the townies would have won if not for random mafia suicide. Also, having a small window for night actions instead of a whole overnight period caused some problems (and made using the Who's Online forum page for detective work maybe a little too good).

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 03:39:28 AM »
Okay I am back. As others have mentioned before me. It is not really enforceable and as you have mentioned Oblivion you don't even have to chat on this forum via PM. Some people use emails,Wiimails, AIM, and all other manor ways of talking with each other. This can go with each side.

The key to winning in the Mafia games when I played in them. How I won in them was to look at voting patterns, look at any differing play styles based on when people have different roles, Look at behavior in the threads, See if there was any alliances in the threads, and finally ask questions of the host within the guidelines of the rules.

The first one is fairly simple. You want to see if the Mafia is voting the same way. See if there is a logical explanation you can make for people voting a certain way to build your case against them if need be.

This second one is how I got voted out in my second game because I was Mafia in my second game and I was quiet and I was a townie in my first and I was PMing everyone in the first game. vudu caught onto this and I was voted out in the second game. This is why most people don't change their play styles.It can be done but it has to be done subtly. The next one goes for the whole forum it is taking place in although it is not fool proof.

Basically if someone is not being as active as they should be then they either are Mafia or they could have a townie role. Most normal townies are pretty active because they don't have to worry about the responsibilities of a role. Although some people like UncleBob this game stay hidden as to stay alive and under the radar but it doesn't always work. Not always a good one to go by.

The alliances in the threads. Basically read everything carefully for the next one and see if there is any double meaning in the words some people are sneaky like that and if people are working together in PMs already they sometimes say stuff in the thread that only the person they are working with would get.

As for the last one in my book there is no dumb questions. Also it is up to the host as to not give to much away to the people asking the questions. Give the hosts some credit if you have a question that may be sticky then I am sure they have thought of all the possible situations in the game for it and a way to answer the question without helping you too much but giving you the answer you need.

All this was when I was a townie. I also at times formed an alliance of townies and in multiple times there was a Mafia member in the Alliance. I can only think maybe 5 times that there wasn't one in the alliance. In one of the times that there was a Mafia member both GF was in the Alliance. Yeah the game can get really intense and untrustworthy.

As for being Mafia in the game well you need to be organized and plan things out and make lists and plan days in advance if things don't work out. I will admit that the items probably would have worked better if everyone had a set amount of HP for the game. If I were to do this game again or if someone wants to remake this game again then that is what I would likely change.

Usually the Key with being Mafia is the be active but to not draw to much attention to yourself. If the townies are fighting let them. You have a free day to plan out the next day and to figure out the townie roles. Try to pin point the leader in the group and kill them.

Try to kill all the active people first if you can or the people in the know so you can hopefully lead the clueless people to voting out their teammates with your words. Essentially you are a puppet master.Trying to pull others strings but at the same time trying to not get caught doing so.

Getting into an alliance can be hard but it usually helps if you have a repore from a previous game with someone. For example me and Stratos usually try to team up when we play just because we make such a good townie team and we usually know each other well so we can tell if we are on the other side. The key to being in an alliance for the Mafia is to be helpful when you can and then report back anything to your teammates that may be of interest. It also helps if you can get the trust of most the people in the alliance as it gets bigger. This is a case by case for each person some people can see through you and other people you can lie to and they won't bat an eye at you.

If this doesn't help you guys for the upcoming games then I don't know what will.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
Guys send in you MVP votes to me via PM. I have gotten 2 people to sent in their votes. Everyone in the game can send in their votes as to who should get the MVP even if they are alive or dead. The only restriction is that you can't vote for yourself.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
You're God in the Mafia game, nothing more, nothing less.

At the risk of being banned, I just wanna say this made me chuckle.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.