Author Topic: Mario Kart to Launch in Europe on 25th November  (Read 9430 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Kart to Launch in Europe on 25th November
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 01:13:10 PM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN

mantidor, the only reason you were planning on buying a DS was to play online games? Talk about missing the point.

nah, not really, I kind of "unconciously" decided to not get it just because its too expensive for me even before this was announced, but I still had a little hope,  this recent news have forced me to come up on terms with that decision (hence the bitching).

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Dynamitega

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Kart to Launch in Europe on 25th November
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »
Yeah, you can buy a wireless router for about $50, but they're absolute crap.  The range and strength of them are poor.  This USB transmitter they're going to be selling is top quality stuff.  Buffalo makes some damn good wireless hardware.  I bought my wireless router for $130, and it's fantastic, it's a Belkin Pre-N and I always get 4-5 bars of signal instead of 1-2 with my old Linksys router.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 01:38:42 PM »
Everyone forgets that in Europe, everything costs more. Just like Canada &<

Watch it be 30 bucks here in the US.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 01:44:26 PM »
I'd say $19.99 American would be reasonable. Thirty in Canada.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 02:16:27 PM »
I don't really care how much it costs, as long as it is a quality product. I think I'll be able to afford it anyway so whatever.  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2005, 03:44:25 PM »
I'm really baffled over this. What do people expect? Am I disappointed in the price? Yeah. But if they're not marking it up I cannot blame them. Do you think there should be a chord so you don't need a wireless anything? Right. Like THAT would work, dream on. Spending what will equal hardly any money for endless free wireless likely for this and the next handheld system (as well as Rev) is hardly a cruel thing. Am I annoyed at the price? No. Disappointed it's this much. But that doesn't mean they're worthless.

IT'S FREE GAMING!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »
Indeed, that price would get you a cord and a month of subscription pay.  I'd rather have the freedom of wireless gaming and no monthly fees.

But that's just me.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 06:20:37 PM »
Wait!

So Ive been searching, and wireless routers are actually around $100 O_o, at least here, so I searched wrong or what? because that makes the wifi adpator deal pretty nice...

who am I kidding a $200 DS is just out of my reach thats basically my salary, and this is just in time when the protable decides to get a whole lot of awesome games...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 06:54:14 PM »
I agree that they need to pack this USB thingy in with Mario Kart if they want to even get close to 50% online, let alone 90%, to do that they'll need to start packing it in with the DS itself. Selling the USB thing for the same price as a game is ridiculous and is just asking for failure. Nintendo, you can afford to take a loss with this! It will be worth it! Come on!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2005, 08:08:02 PM »
No, they can't sell them at a loss.  Keep in mind the adapter is little more than a Nintendo-branded version of a current WLAN product.  I don't think Buffalo would stand for its own product being sold at less than its usual retail value, even if Nintendo paid them full price and took a loss.  You think a company like Buffalo would want to compete with itself?  Unless the USB adapter is designed to only work with Nintendo products (VERY unlikely), putting it in a different market, we'll see it selling for $35 at best.  I believe that's around what it is selling for in Japan.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2005, 08:50:42 PM »
Good point, and also once you buy this USB Dongle, that's it! No more stuff needed for buying future online games. They're on to something pretty damn good here, they just need to get USB Dongles in peoples homes, i'd be a bit hesitant to buy one if I could buy a new game for the same price.

Maybe they could do a Mario Kart + Red DS + USB Dongle bundle? That'd go flying off the shelves! We'll see what happens.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2005, 10:49:26 PM »
You'd need a non-red DS bundle then, too. You know, thems insecure kids don't like red.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005, 10:11:53 AM »
£30 is expensive given you can buy them from £15. I got a PCI Wifi card for £20.

The thing better be made of gold and have an extendable tray to iron your trousers on, else I won't be too happy.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005, 10:18:39 AM »
But thats just the card. If people ( like me) have only wired internet access they need both the card and router as far as I know.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2005, 10:26:52 AM »
There are bundles available. I've seen one for the current G Netgear router that can be bundled with a laptop wireless card, or usb chip.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2005, 10:52:49 AM »
Seriously man... who would have thought that you would have to actually have a wireless network to play with the DS online wirelessly...

How do you make something like that free?

what th...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005, 08:27:39 PM »
A router is just a stripped down PC with routing software installed. A PC with a WiFi card can be set up to function as a router/access point.