Author Topic: The Super Mario Bros. Movie  (Read 10120 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
« on: October 08, 2022, 03:01:18 AM »
It looks good. Surprised there isn't a thread on this considering this is a Nintendo forum. Though, not surprised considering how dead this place is.

There's a thread in talkback, with no replies, and it's to announce there will be a Nintendo direct two days ago.

Anyhow. It looks great visually. The biggest most jarring chatter I hear is "why doesn't he sound like the Mario I know?"

Which amuses me because I remember being 13 years old and thinking "why does Mario suddenly sound like Mickey Mouse?"  This was after playing through Mario's Missing, Watching the Super Mario Bros. The Movie, and several seasons/iterations of the Super Mario Super Show. And he sounded like a gruff guy from Brooklyn instead of a Castrado.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 03:04:04 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: The Super Mario Bros. Movie
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 01:09:45 PM »
It'd be neat to compile a video of the farious Mario voices over the years.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 11:49:28 PM »
It'd be neat to compile a video of the farious Mario voices over the years.

I was looking at the original Japanese Anime for this reason.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 09:30:54 PM »
The art and animation were really good. I'm excited to see more. Chris Pratt definitely sounds like Chris Pratt, but I guess that's ok. Jack Black seems poised to steal the show.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 02:08:36 AM »
Jack Black looks like Bowser in human form. A lot more than Dennis Hopper did.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 11:34:01 AM »
where's the trailer?

I still haven't seen it.

All I've heard is that people are complaining that Chris Pratt sounds nothing like Mario... not even italian or whatever. Haven't really ran across too much regarding this movie tbh.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 12:46:35 AM »
All I've heard is that people are complaining that Chris Pratt sounds nothing like Mario... not even italian or whatever. Haven't really ran across too much regarding this movie tbh.
Mostly the same here. I have watched the trailer, and I was completely wrong about Jack Black. He's not using his regular voice. His Bowser voice is pretty good from his two lines of dialogue.

As for Chris Pratt, I'm willing to hear more before critiquing it. It sounds like he's changing his voice a little bit. Unlike Black, you can still hear Pratt's natural voice which seems to be a lot of people's issue.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the lack of an Italian accent because Mario isn't Italian. Canonically, homeboy was hatched from an egg and was born and raised in the Mushroom Kingdom so if anything, his canon accent is an odd choice. And as much as I generally don't question Charles Martinet's performance ("It's-a me, Mario" is so ingrained to me), I've had mixed feelings about actors doing stereotypical ethnic accents since watching Hari Kondabolu's documentary "The Problem With Apu" (recommended, check a look if you have a chance).

The homer in me will always think of Captain Lou Albano as peak-Mario. RIP. If Nintendo and Illumination wanted to avoid any controversy, they should have cast this beloved Italian-American actor to universal acclaim and adoration.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 04:37:30 AM »
The Apu thing is kind of funny because I've heard that stereotypical Indian accent is partially a result of some of the earlier colonials being Welsh soldiers. So, whenever someone is doing a stereotypical Indian accent it's really a Welsh accent. There's some debate about whether or not this is true, but I buy it. Most Indians don't have that accent today though. Most heavy stereotypical accents are archaic accents. And probably spread by Mel Blanc.

Germans are weirded out by the stereotypical accent, but that is what they used to sound like. And some still do. I watch this German Youtube  named Fili from Germany and she's discussed it in the past. But I don't think she's watched Sabine Hossenfelder who has the straight up stereotypical accent. As far as actual German accents in German I'm used to, I understand a Liebzig and Bavarians speaking Hochdeutch. Other dialects are really hard to understand.

English is an unusual language because it doesn't have standardized vowel and pitches like say Spanish or Italian. So, it's sort of a feature that you can tell where someone is from by accent. Most other languages it's more related to word choice. There may be some regional consonant changes, but not really a whole shift in vowels like in English. If you're not using the proper vowels in most languages then you're not speaking it right. In English it doesn't matter.

It grates my ears though when people are inconsistent with their accent. I'd rather someone speak with an accent the entire time then to code switch for loan words. It just sounds odd. I live in Arizona and everyone speaks Spanish here, but I'll be watching a newscast and the it's like the newscasters are having a seizure every time they say a Spanish loanword. That would be like if I was speaking about London and Piccadilly Circus and I suddenly affected an accent for just those words. The newscasters still say Detroyt for Detroit instead of D'twa. Consistency. But then again my original dialect is Southern American/AVE, and I can't keep my own accent straight, so, I'm just a big hypocrite.

It is interesting to see a double standard when it relates to language imperialisms. Where really one language it is very wrong to speak in a divergent way, and in another it is quaint and entertaining.

as far as people using accents for characters ,it really depends on how you frame it. Either you're making fun of a group of people or you're celebrating the diversity of different dialects.

I'd love them to cast Danny Devito. He turned down Pikachu. He's probably not that interested. Or they're not offering him enough money. It's interesting that you brought that up, because I did make a series of stable diffusion generations with him as Mario

and this Dalle2 generation I did looks like Oscar Isaac. I didn't specify Oscar Isaac, it just came out that way. The prompt was : A film still from a gritty 1970s Martin Scorsese movie about Waluigi. Realism. 4k. 8mm. Grainy. Panavision.

I did De Niro too

and Al Pacino

I made whole mess of Mario Kart ones, but I haven't uploaded them anywhere. I got to cherry pick through those.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 04:46:02 AM by ThePerm »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 09:10:40 PM »
Bumping this because I am super excited for this movie and the Super Bowl trailer was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn3E3BuLUto

Yes that number actually works.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 09:03:07 PM »
I wonder how they'll incorporate Mario Kart into the story.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 02:13:08 AM »
I wonder how they'll incorporate Mario Kart into the story.

Who knows but I can see it coming into play somehow.

Maybe as some sort of rescue but by someone we wouldn't expect.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 11:42:20 PM »
We see a lot of Rainbow Road in the trailers/posters. I assume they need it to get to Bowser's castle or something toward the movie's end.