Author Topic: Episode 140: Sequelitis  (Read 2199 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 140: Sequelitis
« on: February 09, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »

A (Chinese) new year brings with it a new installment of Radio Trivia with guest co-host Greg Leahy!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/radiotrivia/41903/episode-140-sequelitis

Did you like this episode's game selections? Let your fellow listeners know in TalkBack! Think you've got a better choice that hasn't been used yet? Then send it my way and your request might be on the next episode of Radio Trivia: Podcast Edition!  Heck, throw in a question and specific songs if you want.  Just remember, it has to be a game found on a Nintendo system in North America (unless we say otherwise)!

Games featured in this episode:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS)
  2. Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
  3. Sonic Heroes (GC)
  4. Rhythm Tengoku The Best Plus (3DS)
  5. Actraiser 2 (SNES)

(Highlight the text above with your cursor to view it.)

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 140: Sequelitis
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 05:29:27 AM »
I was half expecting a video podcast with animation by Arin Hanson.

I was 5/5 this time. I kinda feel like this week's theme was games that have better soundtracks than actual gameplay. besides maybe Game 4, but uh... yeah.

Game 2 I feel is the weakest in it's series and where it's already sluggish protagonist feels like he's at his slowest. I remember there being a sort of lag to when you hit the jump button and when he actually ascends off the ground like there's some sort of momentum to build to go upwards. I actually prefer Gargoyle's Quest 1, although the soundtrack is pretty good.

Game 3 I have a lot to say about! I'm with TYP in that this game is really kinda garbage and that pacing is chief to this, but not for the reason that TYP mentioned. If anything, the pace is spoiled by the power characters justifying regular enemies having health bars, and worse, those enemies with health bars gating progress. up to Sonic Heroes, there were no enemies in a sonic game that took more than a single hit, because their ability to stop your progress was limited to them hitting sonic. rather than treating enemies as they were in the series, (an obstacle that could be eliminated with a well timed jump or roll) they actively became something to waste your time. Also, some of the levels got STUPIDLY long! 10+ minutes of a single Sonic level is a bit much.

enemies with Health bars would continue to be a thing in sonic games, but without an equalizing factor to it. Shadow the hedgehog kept it in to justify it's gunplay mechanic and to make homing attacks a useless option. Sonic 06 kept enemies with healthbars in for God knows WHY because there sure is hell isn't anything implimented to take the edge off of homing attack booping the same iblis monster 10+ times in a row.

Sonic Unleashed had enemies with health bars for the werehog sections, which were not only compartmentalized, but contrary to popular belief, actually had a pretty decent design to them if you wanted a kid's god of war game that had sonic the hedgehog stages as a bit of an afterthought because of how much longer the Werehog stages were in comparison to the day stages. after that, to my knowledge, regular enemies in a sonic game with multiple hits/health bars wouldn't emerge again on a console game until Sonic 4 Ep. 2 with the polar bear badniks.

Right, uh... Sonic Heroes. Soundtrack is pretty good! I like Frog Forest and Hang Castle's themes.

Also, Sonic Advance I feel has declining quality, with sonic Advance 1 having level design worthy of the genesis originals, and Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Advance 3 being bottomless pitfests with collectables hidden in the levels that are too screen-crunched to find crap. it's so easy to eat a pit death that you don't have a way to see coming.

ALSO, TYP. you asked for calrification. Okay, so I don't blame you for being confused on this bit, but there's been 3 seperate attempts to make a robotic sonic in the video games by Dr. Eggman. First, there was Metal Sonic from Sonic CD, who is characterized by the giant jet engine in his chest and his glowing, red eyes. The other two attempts at a robotic sonic were both cyclopses. the one from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is called Silver Sonic (not to be confused with Silver the hedgehog from Sonic 06). the incarnation from Sonic and Knuckles that's extra gangly and able to use the master emerald to turn Super is called Mecha Sonic. While both Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic were both one-and-done deals, Metal Sonic would return in multiple games such as Sonic the Fighters, Sonic R, and as an unlockable skin in Sonic Adventure and a multiplayer character in Sonic Adventure 2 before finding it's way back to the limelight as the monster of the week final boss of Sonic Heroes. [/spoler]

Okay! enough about  Sonic the Hedgehog!

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 140: Sequelitis
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
Screw the mobile site and it's inability to hide spoilers.
Anyway, why you lyin' Greg? The best plus is not your first radio tengoku, I recall you chose Rhythm Paradise Beat The Beat for one of the episodes in the past, I think the trivia quest related to it's European name or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:47:25 PM by TOPHATANT123 »